Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

credburn posted:

That thing about idioms; my therapist recently said my ex is "living rent-free in your head." That's the sort of quirky phrasing I think a certain eccentric person might say. It's a weird phrase, not one I would use, but kind of interesting coming from him. But then a friend of mine said it. So it's not a quirky phrasing, it's just an idiom that is catching on. But it's a weird one, right? I would never say that. It doesn't "roll off the tongue" the way idioms do. I feel like if someone says that to me, and it's not their thing, then they're referencing something.

So anyway, here's what's wrong with the all that (page 1 of 8):

First of all: new to me so bad (obvious)

I sometimes think about a professor I had one time who remarked to the class about how much he liked David Simon and the writing on The Wire. One day he said, “sometimes they say ‘do you feel me?’ on The Wire to ask whether another character understands what they’re saying or appreciates the gravity of the moment, and I thought that was a great way to express that idea, like great writing. But then last night I heard someone say it out on the street, and I guess that’s just, uh, something people say.”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

credburn posted:

This is such a beautiful encapsulation of Internet humor specifically in 2004, though. Oh my God, I've never seen this comic but it feels so nostalgic

It’s really telling that “monkey” shows up once at the beginning and once at the end, a perfect loop for the monkey cheese era.

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.

Vandar posted:

Lmao, did he really? That's honestly kind of sad.

He never got 'reclaimed' btw. People say he did, but nah. He's still used in all the worst ways by all kinds of terrible people.

I think that most people who would recognize pepe these days would describe him as "that frog from the twitch emotes" so i don't think the white supremacists have any real hold on it anymore. Also, the creator of the character has spoken out against white supremacists and their use of it. Yeah, white supremacists still use it, but they don't dominate the conversation around it anymore like they did back in 2015 or whatever.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
twitch gamer culture is cringe, but theyre trying to not be regressive.

let them have the frog.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

A Worrying Warlock
Sep 21, 2009

IShallRiseAgain posted:

I love how people went through all the effort to reclaim him from the nazis and then the creator just sold out and made NFTs.

I loving hate NFTs, but I could see how this would kiiiinda make sense with the whole "rare pepe" thing and all.

poo poo, did 4chan accidently plant the mental seed for the concept of NFTs? That would be fucki g insane.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
It's an interesting thought. On 4chan you could do a thing where putting in a code would give you a name instead of Anonymous, and people who chose to do so without making a CYOA or something were instantly mocked and the code reverse engineered so people could post as you. It's a different type of vitriol than would be the progenitor of NFTs I think.

CJacobs has a new favorite as of 12:19 on Feb 14, 2024

Chrpno
Apr 17, 2006

A Worrying Warlock posted:

poo poo, did 4chan accidently plant the mental seed for the concept of NFTs? That would be fucki g insane.

Dammit you might be right! I remember that "rare pepe" rubbish and thought it was a funny stupid joke, how can a public picture on a screen ever be "rare". But guess what, people are dumb and that'll be $500k for your bronze ape drawing.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

PhazonLink posted:

twitch gamer culture is cringe, but theyre trying to not be regressive.

since when lol

Kevin DuBrow
Apr 21, 2012

The uruk-hai defender has logged on.

IShallRiseAgain posted:

I love how people went through all the effort to reclaim him from the nazis and then the creator just sold out and made NFTs.

Pretty much the only good thing to come out of NFTs is that some actual artists were able to monetize their art by getting in on the fad. I won't begrudge him selling pepe NFTs because I have no sympathy for the buyers who thought they were actual investments.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
One of the problems with the NFT thing- apart from, you know, it being a massive, massive scam- is that the original artist would still only get paid on the first sale, so all the inflated prices you saw were a secondary market.

NoiseAnnoys
May 17, 2010

there was nothing good about nfts, lol.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
A tangled skein of bad opinions, the hottest takes, and the the world's most misinformed nonsense. Do not engage with me, it's useless, and better yet, put me on ignore.

NoiseAnnoys posted:

It was good for a chuckle in the first half of the 20s

Offler
Mar 27, 2010

NoiseAnnoys posted:

If it weren't for NFTs, these two videos wouldn't exist, so that statement is not 100% true.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YQ_xWvX1n9g

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u-sNSjS8cq0

I was already familiar with Dan, but since it's far and away his most viewed video it surely made lots of others aware of him and his videos. Just like the second video did for me with its creator Münecat, and it's always nice finding more of those channels that produce well researched and informative videos that are also entertaining to watch.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

a few visual artists made some serious cash on NFTs which is good. They made the money from rubes, which is funny. Decent outcomes imo

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Kevin DuBrow posted:

Pretty much the only good thing to come out of NFTs is that some actual artists were able to monetize their art by getting in on the fad. I won't begrudge him selling pepe NFTs because I have no sympathy for the buyers who thought they were actual investments.

You are naive as gently caress

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

Maxwell Lord posted:

One of the problems with the NFT thing- apart from, you know, it being a massive, massive scam- is that the original artist would still only get paid on the first sale, so all the inflated prices you saw were a secondary market.

On the other hand, many of those inflated prices weren't ever actual sales. There was a lot of NFTs being "sold" between people who were collaborating to drive up prices but they never changed hands to anyone else. I wasn't following NFT bullshit too closely so I don't know how many rubes lost how much money but I hope everyone involved feels terrible

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

Cutest tumor in all of Oncology!
Also none of them were being sold for real money they were being sold for cryptocurrency.

All of which must be destroyed because it exists as a way to try to resist power of The State. Only fiat currency has worth because only The State decides what has worth.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord
NFTs are also part of the combination smog machine and ocean boiler that is cryptocurrency

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Also Seth Green faking having his NFT stolen so that he couldn't finish the terrible TV show he was making about it is one of the funniest things that has ever happened.

NoiseAnnoys
May 17, 2010

Offler posted:

If it weren't for NFTs, these two videos wouldn't exist, so that statement is not 100% true.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YQ_xWvX1n9g

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u-sNSjS8cq0

I was already familiar with Dan, but since it's far and away his most viewed video it surely made lots of others aware of him and his videos. Just like the second video did for me with its creator Münecat, and it's always nice finding more of those channels that produce well researched and informative videos that are also entertaining to watch.

lol not watching 2 2 hour videos about nfts, nice try.

Kevin DuBrow
Apr 21, 2012

The uruk-hai defender has logged on.

Aphrodite posted:

Also Seth Green faking having his NFT stolen so that he couldn't finish the terrible TV show he was making about it is one of the funniest things that has ever happened.

He later made a big show of paying $300k to "get it back". That definitely made it feel like a stunt to show off how valuable NFTs are

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic
I still remember when my father somehow managed to hear about NFTs and asked me to explain them to him, and his bewildered “why would anyone pay for that?” response when I told him it was basically just paying to be tenuously associated with an image, not to even “own” it in any legally useful sense.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
A tangled skein of bad opinions, the hottest takes, and the the world's most misinformed nonsense. Do not engage with me, it's useless, and better yet, put me on ignore.

NoiseAnnoys posted:

lol not watching 2 2 hour videos about nfts, nice try.

The second one is unwatchable anyway. I hope that style of editing goes away, that's something I hope we can look back on in a few years and wonder why this was ever an aesthetic.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

"More money than sense" is one of those phrases that really gets hammered home by poo poo like this

NoiseAnnoys
May 17, 2010

credburn posted:

The second one is unwatchable anyway. I hope that style of editing goes away, that's something I hope we can look back on in a few years and wonder why this was ever an aesthetic.

i second this but also hope that longform "video essays" go extinct.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

NoiseAnnoys posted:

Any particular reason or just aesthetic preference?

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Volute the swarth, trawl betwixt phonotic
Scoff the festune

credburn posted:

They're all unwatchable.

NoiseAnnoys posted:

:agreed:

I don't have the patience to sit through the Irishman, let alone some dumbfuck googling poo poo and then talking directly into a camera for four hours about pointless garbage.

Offler
Mar 27, 2010

800peepee51doodoo posted:

They're all unwatchable.

:agreed:

I don't have the patience to sit through the Irishman, let alone some dumbfuck googling poo poo and then talking directly into a camera for four hours about pointless garbage.

You can't solve that issue by not watching them yourself?

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are
Sorry you dislike something other people enjoy.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
I mean do people enjoy it or is it just to have favor of the youtube blackbox algo? also trying to game invideo ad rolls.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

PhazonLink posted:

I mean do people enjoy it or is it just to have favor of the youtube blackbox algo? also trying to game invideo ad rolls.

I enjoy them? They're fun to have on in the background whilst doing other things, or to watch if they are properly interesting.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.
No different from any random multi-hour documentary.

Unless it's a 3 hour deep dive of a 30 minute episode of a tv show.

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains
Look I enjoy longform essays too. But lets not bring Quinton Reviews into this.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck
I am not an avid connoisseur of the video essay, but most of them are at least better than the Netflix style documentary series that stretch a 90-120 minute documentary into 6-8 one hour episodes.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Dirt Road Junglist posted:

Sorry you dislike something other people enjoy.

Anything I personally don't like is evil and must be destroyed, in this 4000 word meltdown I

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I more hate that everything that could be a single paragraph of written instructions has to be made into a 10 minute video. And not just on social media!

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I more hate that everything that could be a single paragraph of written instructions has to be made into a 10 minute video. And not just on social media!

Gods yes. I remember when I could type into a search engine "How do I do the thing?" and I would get links to websites with articles that clearly said "Here is how to do the thing"

Now I either get 40 minute YouTube videos where the first half is waiting for the person to catch up to the point I managed to figure out on my own, or a dozen content aggregate clickbait sites with endless word counts like "Doing the thing is something many people want to do, but they often have difficulty doing the thing if they do not know how to do the thing. Fortunately, the thing can be done, which is good news for people who want to do the thing, and it's very simply to do the thing, even if you're a first timer at doing the thing."

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
again lol at the incoming dark age when the gated gardens of social media sites or chat apps like discords just close up and delete their stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

credburn
Jun 22, 2016

the_steve posted:

Gods yes. I remember when I could type into a search engine "How do I do the thing?" and I would get links to websites with articles that clearly said "Here is how to do the thing"

Now I either get 40 minute YouTube videos where the first half is waiting for the person to catch up to the point I managed to figure out on my own, or a dozen content aggregate clickbait sites with endless word counts like "Doing the thing is something many people want to do, but they often have difficulty doing the thing if they do not know how to do the thing. Fortunately, the thing can be done, which is good news for people who want to do the thing, and it's very simply to do the thing, even if you're a first timer at doing the thing."

YouTube at least has helpful indications on the scrub bar that tell you the *.*most played*.* section, which is either the thing you're looking for, or there's a shot of cleavage.