Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

SidneyIsTheKiller posted:

I'd actually say this has aged well in that it feels ahead of its time. At the very least I think if it aired today it would last more than one episode.

It was definitely weird but there were some jokes that still stand pretty strong weirdly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

knife_of_justice
Aug 12, 2007

103 and still BITCHIN'

hallo spacedog posted:

It was definitely weird but there were some jokes that still stand pretty strong weirdly.

All lost media seems to have that ‘knowing’ quality, as though it bridges old and new customs, approaching us like a product of the time in which it was first seen (now) as opposed to the time it was made.

It’s like when I (a Briton) watch an episode of ‘I Love Lucy’ for the first time and I think it’s some kind of poststructuralist comment on the nuclear family and feminism and gender, while Americans (who know every episode of Lucy off by heart) just take it as face value that Lucy went to a fashion show, got drunk, had a makeover etc.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

You can make those points, but "you've got some explaining to do!" :haw:

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Without I Love Lucy we literally would not have Star Trek. Lucille Ball published a bunch of TV shows that no one else would touch because she had to make her own studio (with blackjack and hookers) so that she could even make I Love Lucy as no existing studios would touch it because her and Ricky were a mixed-race couple.

knife_of_justice
Aug 12, 2007

103 and still BITCHIN'

BioEnchanted posted:

Without I Love Lucy we literally would not have Star Trek. Lucille Ball published a bunch of TV shows that no one else would touch because she had to make her own studio (with blackjack and hookers) so that she could even make I Love Lucy as no existing studios would touch it because her and Ricky were a mixed-race couple.

Oh yeah all that is apparent now but your uncle Earl who was born in 1933 and saw it the first time round probably engaged with it differently. And remembers it in the context of its time, not ours.

For better or for worse, we go into all media in 2024 with a post-theory, post-ironic eye. All the subtext that was there (if any) is now on the surface because we have the tools and the lived experience to extract it.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

knife_of_justice posted:

For better or for worse, we go into all media in 2024 with a post-theory, post-ironic eye. All the subtext that was there (if any) is now on the surface because we have the tools and the lived experience to extract it.

I don’t

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

BioEnchanted posted:

It wasn’t just the studio. Lucille herself chose to save Star Trek with her vote on the Desilu board two times. She didn’t even like it much apparently, but she saw the potential when very few others did.

(https://ew.com/article/2016/07/08/lucille-ball-star-trek/)

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

I was going to say Turn On seemed a little too old fashioned for a futuristic themed show, but the show came out a decade earlier than I assumed it had so I guess overall I'm pretty impressed.

Nameless Pete
May 8, 2007

Get a load of those...
I'm rewatching the old X-Men cartoon and every so often it'll blindside me with something violently 90's.

Wolverine gives an unironic "Uhhh, check please?!"

Morph makes a Rob Schneider "makin' copieees" reference.

Cable exits a phone booth, cocks his gun, and jokes about how he's going to "reach out and touch someone," like from the old AT&T ads. This man from the year 3999.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Nameless Pete posted:

I'm rewatching the old X-Men cartoon and every so often it'll blindside me with something violently 90's.

Wolverine gives an unironic "Uhhh, check please?!"

Morph makes a Rob Schneider "makin' copieees" reference.

Cable exits a phone booth, cocks his gun, and jokes about how he's going to "reach out and touch someone," like from the old AT&T ads. This man from the year 3999.
Maybe AT&T is the Ea-nāṣir of the late 40th century.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Cable is just a fan boy for the 20th century. His first appearance he name drops a film from 1941.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

I'm more impressed with all the Marvel cameos they reportedly snuck in because they weren't supposed to use those characters, like the blink and you'll miss it appearances of Deadpool (who's credited as "Mutant Ninja" in the script).

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Cable is just a fan boy for the 20th century. His first appearance he name drops a film from 1941.

Cable is the future equivalent of that meme about how often guys think about the Roman Empire

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

They didn't know Cable was from the future until his appearances in season 2.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

I prefer to think that he didn’t pay attention in time travel cultural knowledge class and is just grabbing wildly at everything he can remember about the 1900-2000 period hoping it will fit. “Uh, how about those talkies? My favorite is The Godfather!”

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Cable has a law degree

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

I AM GRANDO posted:

I prefer to think that he didn’t pay attention in time travel cultural knowledge class and is just grabbing wildly at everything he can remember about the 1900-2000 period hoping it will fit. “Uh, how about those talkies? My favorite is The Godfather!”
ThatOnePBFComic.png

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Pretty likely if he knows who his parents are that he did some research to try to understand his roots.

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!
While we're on the topic of the 90s X-Men cartoon being violently 90s at times

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pDZNKvr6U5E

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

I AM GRANDO posted:

I suddenly feel like reminding people of something.
https://www.loc.gov/item/lcwaN0009701/

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Justin Godscock posted:

While we're on the topic of the 90s X-Men cartoon being violently 90s at times

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pDZNKvr6U5E

I’ve never actually seen this cartoon so i gotta ask if that musical sting is a normal part of the show or if it was an intentional reference to the “go go power rangers” little voice clip

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Rockman Reserve posted:

I’ve never actually seen this cartoon so i gotta ask if that musical sting is a normal part of the show or if it was an intentional reference to the “go go power rangers” little voice clip

Saban was involved with the production of both the X-Men cartoon and Power Rangers so it was an explicit reference.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Aphrodite posted:

They didn't know Cable was from the future until his appearances in season 2.

This is the true answer. Cable was created as cool looking dude with big robot arm and bigger guns. The rest of the backstory was figured out a lot later.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Madkal posted:

This is the true answer. Cable was created as cool looking dude with big robot arm and bigger guns. The rest of the backstory was figured out a lot later.

I remember that scene in an Excalibur annual from like 1991 where he fights Ahab and Ahab asks him if he thinks they look similar and Cable gets real shook.

Then of course Warren Ellis decided Ahab would be some other guy and then forgot about him six issues later.

Bk.
Nov 9, 2009
Watched BioDome, because I do not value my limited time on this earth.

The two protagonists are meant to be the biggest dipshits ever. Just off-putting in every possible way.

They're very physically affectionate towards each other, even cuddling while they sleep.

I feel like this was probably meant to be seen as just another one of their countless repellent traits, but it actually made them somewhat more tolerable as characters.

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Take 1 tablet by mouth daily.
BioDome is one of the greatest movies of my generation.

MrUnderbridge
Jun 25, 2011

Tell you what - you want violence in a kids cartoon?

Original Jonny Quest

Off the top of my head:

Good guy in WWI fighter spooks condors, who get flown into by bad guy in WWI fighter, crashes into side of mountain. No chute or "I'll get you next time!" fist shaking.

Old bad guy in wheelchair rolls into lava pit

Bad guy gets lifted by mummy in pyramid, good guy shoots ceiling and it crashes down.

Bad guy gets attacked and eaten by own komodo dragons

Two bad guys get killed when their speedboat gets landed on by good guy speedboat.

Missile explodes with three bad guys on board

Two guys mauled by tiger and leopard

Four bad guys eaten by crocodiles

Six bad guys on flying platforms crash into mountain

Shriveled old nazi killed by own grenade

Main bad guy shoots minion for failure, minion falls on detonator and blows up boat with main bad guy

Nine fake yetis killed by real yetis

That's a single season, and doesn't include a bunch of people, bad or good, killed off screen.

Ahhh, the good old days of kids tv!

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

MrUnderbridge posted:

Good guy in WWI fighter spooks condors, who get flown into by bad guy in WWI fighter, crashes into side of mountain. No chute or "I'll get you next time!" fist shaking.

Oh that's easy to fix!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kl4ghsv04V0

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.
Real Adventures of Johnny Quest also had some horror.

Voracious deep sea amphibious fish monsters killing a sealab crew. A life-sucking bat monster that left her victims as shriveled husks. An episode that was The Thing crossed with The Blob in a military base, but the thing is smart enough to partially form the body parts of its victims to open biometric locks.

E:got new and real adventures mixed up

Schubalts has a new favorite as of 10:19 on Apr 10, 2024

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

MrUnderbridge posted:

Original Jonny Quest

Off the top of my head:

Bad guy gets lifted by mummy in pyramid, good guy shoots ceiling and it crashes down.

Two bad guys get killed when their speedboat gets landed on by good guy speedboat.

Main bad guy shoots minion for failure, minion falls on detonator and blows up boat with main bad guy

That's a single season, and doesn't include a bunch of people, bad or good, killed off screen.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P7CZPWTk0MQ

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

If it's any consolation Racist Bannon suffered an undignified end.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4tHJK2CSz6Q

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Madkal posted:

Eh, this gets thrown around a lot but doesn't really match with the timing. Cable had been revealed to be a time traveler with the introduction of Stryfe some 6 months before the show was even greenlit.

Liefield's idea at the time was that eventually, Cable would go mad and become Stryfe somewhere far down his timeline.

Then Image happened and stories across every line had to be stitched back together and that's when they changed it Cyclop's kid.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Eh, this gets thrown around a lot but doesn't really match with the timing. Cable had been revealed to be a time traveler with the introduction of Stryfe some 6 months before the show was even greenlit.

Liefield's idea at the time was that eventually, Cable would go mad and become Stryfe somewhere far down his timeline.

Then Image happened and stories across every line had to be stitched back together and that's when they changed it Cyclop's kid.

To be fair when you're already loving around with time travel causality shenanigans you kinda have free reign for retcons and wild reveals. It's practically obligatory.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters
Cable was introduced at the end of 1989 as just a standard "mysterious guy with a past". Subsequent comics in 1990 revealed he had run-ins (in the 20th century) with people like Wolverine and Chord, the New Warriors' mentor who fought alongside Cable in Vietnam. Summer 1990 was the "Days of Future Present" mini-crossover that introduced Ahab and hinted that Cable "recognized" Ahab, leaving it unclear if that was because Ahab was a future version of one of his allies, or more likely Cable himself.

Stryfe first appeared right as Cable did, but did not take off his mask and reveal himself to look exactly like Cable until New Mutants #100, which was released in February 1991. Time travel was certainly a possibility for Two Identical Guys, but given that there was no indication that they were different ages or had different distinguishing features, in comics books it's just as likely that Cable and/or Stryfe were identical twins, clones, shapeshifters, robot duplicates, alternate universe doppelgangers, etc. etc. As it turns out, Stryfe IS a clone, just like Cable's mom, and no time travel was required to clone her (or him).

A few months later, young Nathan Summers was sent into the future where his techno-organic virus could be cued, in X-Factor #68. Cable was revealed to be from the future (and allegedly traveling back into the past to find High Lords) in X-Force #8, a fill-in issue with writing credits for both Liefeld and Niceza but art by Mike Mignola, in January 1992. Liefeld left Marvel soon after, drawing one issue (X-Force #9) and getting writing credits on X-Force #10-12 before focusing entirely on Image.

So the first comic published to indicate that Cable was a time traveler was published about ten months before the first episode of X-Men: The Animated Series got released, but production began well before X-Force #8 was published, and the series debut was delayed by months because of animation issues, meaning that much of the writing and voice acting was probably already in progress when the issue was published.

Edge & Christian has a new favorite as of 14:58 on Apr 10, 2024

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug

MrUnderbridge posted:

Original Jonny Quest

Off the top of my head:

Was watching the new Indiana Jones, and the kid straight up murders that henchman.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Inspector Gesicht posted:

If it's any consolation Racist Bannon suffered an undignified end.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4tHJK2CSz6Q

I can't see this at all for some reason, but assuming it's venture bros.

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

If you see something suspicious, bomb it!

I remember an episode of 90s Johnny Quest where they meet a man who had wished for eternal life, but not eternal youth, and he was basically a shriveled old corpse. Probably the most hosed up thing I saw on Cartoon Network as a child, but hosed up in a way that I thought was interesting and not scary.

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

Cutest tumor in all of Oncology!
The JQ theme song is still one of the best intros they ever made.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

I remember thinking the 3d/virtual reality segments were the coolest loving thing and would be disappointed in any episode that didn't have it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shard
Jul 30, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
The character design of Jack from Mass Effect 2 and 3 is so poo poo and has aged very poorly. Any time a director designs a character to be scantily clad and tries to come up with a good reason for it, it always fails.