Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT

Beer_Suitcase posted:

That episode of Seinfeld that's all about call waiting seems really this day and age.

So much of Seinfeld's premises would be completely and utterly destroyed by mobile phones.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT
Has there been a discussion about Scrubs anywhere in the thread? It just popped up on a local streaming service and I started throwing it on as my background noise show, but oof some of the stances on LGBT issues are just...yeesh.

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

I DEMAND IT

Ariong posted:

Examples? I’ll never get around to watching it, but I’m curious.

What others have mentioned (the calling someone by a girls name isn't really that egregious though) but there's also the chief of medicine's son going through an off-screen progression of closeted, experimenting with drag, moving in with a man (where I am at the moment) and from what I remember ends up having a sex change in a later season, referred to only as a part of rants that denigrate and call it "disappointing lifestyle changes". The chief of medicine is an all around arsehole and consistently presented as such, and I think the latest seasons have him accepting his son, but the jokes are consistently positioning his sons sexuality and lifestyle as the butt of the joke. There's also a few separate points where one of the central cast is jealous of another woman's looks and makes jokes or starts spreading rumours that they used to be a man, which I think has happened at least twice that I've noticed in this watch.

It's more emblematic of how far LGBT acceptance has progressed in the fifteen years or so since this point on the show, but it's still a bit jarring considering how surprisingly decent it is on representation of race and gender in the core cast - whether that's a mistake or not, as other people have already mentioned that the main character ends up being one skip and a hop away from being the creepy rapist in a horror movie so very frequently in how he treats women and is forgiven, as well as other relationships portrayed on the show that are one small step away from "call the cops, this is abuse" from a random passer-by on the street - and it's important in how it's affected the style and form of modern network sitcoms.

FactsAreUseless posted:

He's an incredibly lovely person and the show expects us to support him wholeheartedly. He starts out as clueless and dumb but by season 4ish he's an incredibly manipulative abusive rear end in a top hat. Everything about Elizabeth Banks' character is creepy as poo poo.

Ooh I actually have a specific example of this: an episode revolves around JD's frustration that his new girlfriend never laughs, instead saying "that's so funny." He eventually confronts her about it at a barbecue attended by friends, where she goes and cries behind a tree while he cooks. His friend, Turk, asks him what the hell, and JD responds with "Y'know what's funny? She's not at the tree saying,' that's so sad'." Turk runs over to the girlfriend, JD keeps cooking at the barbecue, and there's a musical sting that the show acknowledges in frequent fourth wall breaks in previous episodes as "that's so goofy!"

Thinking about all this makes me really hesitant to revisit the early seasons of Arrested Development and how Tobias' sexuality is treated. Or Gob's statutory rape that is forgiven and forgotten by practically everyone in the show.

I, Butthole has a new favorite as of 12:50 on Feb 21, 2019