Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

Cutest tumor in all of Oncology!
I felt The Man Show was parody, but earnest parody. Like it was them exploring and having fun with stuff and jobs that were traditionally masculine.

Like one episode they hang out with a guy who runs a junkyard, and Adam is excited to be able to shoot a junkyard rat, but then a guy in a huge rat mascot costume shows up and beats his rear end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

I have not played a Zelda game since A Link to the past. I hear they're okay.

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

How would you have a crime/mystery show without it also being a cop show?

Like does the person just never get arrested at the end and they get away with it every week? Like when they unmask the guy on Scooby-Doo they just bail?

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

Ozzy rhymed masses and masses in the very first line of War Pigs.

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

The song owns so we forgive it.

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

I don't remember what song it is but there's a country song that rhymes "pride" with "fad" and that totally works when you say it in the southern accent I guess.

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

Iirc literally every character and joke is firmly in the "punching down" style of humor first of all.

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

I'm gonna spilt the difference and continue to love jrpgs as I always have, but I will also continue to hate anime.

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

I have the first three Dark Souls game because I felt like I was supposed to like them.

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

I am literally the only person who liked the shooting in the first Mass Effect game the most.

2 and 3 we're actually competent and fast cover shooters. But that's not what I want in an RPG I want to barely/not have to aim at all and to have infinite ammo and to always win while I throw lead down range and spam my powers. Then I get to see my numbers get bigger and I get a lot of plot and dialogue and cutscenes.

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

I actually saw a bit of that dubbed in Japanese and the greatest travesty is that they took Hank's distinctive bwahhh and turned it into the generic Japanese surprise ehhhh sound.

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

So you're saying anime's fault is ironic detachment?

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

I had an uncle in a Wrangler commercial once years ago and he had the same experience but the other way around. They were shooting at night/pre-dawn in Montana and it got stupid cold randomly the day of shooting, but the scene was them all working hard outside and sweating in slow motion and stuff, but "it got cold enough that you could see our breath with the lighting, so we all had to keep ice chips in our mouths to cut that" which is fun movie magic.

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

The show still owns. George is all of us.

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

God drat.

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

muscles like this! posted:

What's the quote about it? "I don't give a poo poo, put a loving saddle on it!"

It's easily my fave episode of that whole series so far.

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

All of that great man nonsense is good for fiction because it's fiction. Why the hell would I want to watch a movie where the main characters do not have the ability or skills to influence the plot and they just spend the whole time losing?

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

Personally I hate individualism and I'm a big fan of people doing what they're told by authority.

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

Aaaaand saved to library.

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

Autisanal Cheese posted:

Skinner in Hot Fuzz is probably the greatest single example of that. Just the perfect character for him.

"Lock me up!"
"I'm sorry?"
"I'm a slasher! I must be stopped!"
"You're a what?"
"A slasher... of prices!"

Everybody knows this movie owns but I still remember my first time seeing it and I'm all "holy poo poo that's Timothy Dalton."

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

I remember liking the Popeye movie, but just know going in it's really weird.

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

I've only seen Star Wars 1-7 and they had kung fu and explosions and space magic and lasers in it.

And in the end, that's all any of us need or any of you deserve.

I hear 8 and 9 are bad though, but it was like all chuds that hated 8, and everyone hated 9?

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

I like the normal film ending because how do you top

"WELL I'M A MEAN GREEN MOTHER FROM OUTER SPACE AND I'M BAD!"

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

I haven't seen any of the prestige TV shows and I'm so far behind in all media ever made at this point I don't think I can even get started.

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

I do have multiple people telling me to watch that.

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

I can't think of a single bad car chase scene though?

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

See I want all of that but no emotional torture I can't relate to characters that have problems.

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

I was in college when the comics first came out and I remember them kinda being a big deal at the time, so I'm really happy they're making this show and more people get to experience it. Plus the cast is knocking it out of the park.

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

Also being better at subjugating just means you're on top of the leaderboards.

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

It's because the type of liberals that love/emulate The West Wing truly and genuinely believe the lie "it doesn't matter if you win or lose but how you play the game" that they were told as kids.

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

Every now and then I'll catch an old EP of the Golden Girls, and it's still loving good.

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

I just have real life.

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

FreudianSlippers posted:

The 70s were all about how hosed up everything was.

Like people only remember the dance scenes from Saturday Night Fever but nobody remembers that most of the film is about crushing poverty, rape, violence, and working class disillusionment.

My favorite part of that movie is that one kid who got his girlfriend knocked up and it's clear nobody cares about how worried he is in that situation and he even asks if he thinks the pope himself will give him permission for her to get an abortion and then he ends up killing himself.

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

Also how were any of the characters in Fight Club failed men? They all had, like, jobs and stuff. They should just stop feeling unfulfilled.

Oh fuckin boo hoo, you have ennui because you work in a bank or whatever, go play videogames and watch cartoons you whiny sack of poo poo.

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

Woolie Wool posted:

This is dumb. There is a reason why "material prosperity does not guarantee mental and spiritual well being" has been a pillar of basically every moral philosophy of the past 3000 years.

Yeah they didn't have videogames and cartoons 3000 years ago, so I get it.

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

This feels like it's getting close to that depressed goon "having kids at all is child abuse because the world is gonna end".

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

Also in real life, even well meaning people can erase bisexual experiences really easily because nobody cares who you are attracted to, only who you are currently with. So a bisexual lady and bisexual man dating are just straight to everyone else.

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

Even though I know it's an old timey yellow peril design, they did too good of a job and made him look cool and badass. That's a guy whom I want running a giant criminal empire. I'd totally work for that guy if I was a mook.

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

Ghost Leviathan posted:

It was the 80s. So much about Bayformers makes sense if you imagine Bay literally used the 80s cartoon as primary inspiration.

Also still lol that Puss in Boots 2 was legitimately amazing.

I was surprised and confused at how good it was and this is somebody who liked all of the Shrek movies because they were fun.

Jack Horner is such a refreshing villain because we're all constantly inundated by tragic villainy so it's wrapped back around to incredibly novel to have someone actually be that banal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

No way popular means normal and normal is the best thing one can be.