Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Instant Sunrise posted:

So there's this new thing called The Internet and somehow Willow got a demon onto it. Between the plot, which is very much this 90's "we need to do an episode about The Internet, and the 90's beige CRTs, this episode really dates itself.

I can tell when an episode of NCIS was shot by the size of its monitors. Mark Harmon not aging a single effing day doesn't help.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
SVU is awful for that sort of thing. Suspects are routinely abused, denied food and drink, and put under enormous pressure to confess but then end up being completely innocent. This keeps happening and nobody learns, despite the show trying to make us believe that the investigators are double true pinky swear remorseful this time.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

spog posted:

So, pretty accurate portrayal of US law enforcement, then?

Yes very edgy. Point is that the show repeatedly has characters be aghast at this, and a huge deal is made out of how it could cost them their jobs, etc, but then everything moves on and there's nothing learned from it.

At least in NCIS Gibbs is shown to throw a fit over shady stuff and it isn't presented as a noble means-to-an-end cause, because, dammit we need a criminal even if they're not actually one!!!

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Then other characters picked up the slack and it continued. :v:

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
The colours of the CSI Miami office always weirded me out. Pretty sure someone was tripping when they painted that place.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
That little poo poo had it coming.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Davros1 posted:

Columbo holds up really well, except now at the end, a lot of times I find myself thinking "Yeah, I don't think that's going to hold up in court."

Ah, that's the thing what makes Columbo timeless. It's not necessarily about justice, it's about the perp knowing they've been rumbled and that they're about to a ton of poo poo in their life. :allears:

Watching the later episodes is depressing as hell though. Falk shouldn't have looked old. :saddowns:

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Me and my partner binged on Archer and were pretty amazed it skirted over that, especially given the other stuff it poked fun of. Maybe they just didn't want to tie it to a specific date? A lot of stuff is a mish-mash of time periods, with a couple of jokes even poking fun at characters not being able to name the year.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
The only thing I remember about law and order is the character who suddenly claimed she was being picked on due to being a lesbian. This was the first and only time up until that point her sexuality came up anywhere.

SVU just annoys me because of the aforementioned "we suspect someone of being a paedophile so everything we do is justified", which has frequently hosed over an innocent person's life, but never results in any actual consequences against the main cast.

Brooklyn 99 gets away with goofy accusations because nobody in that show is a rapist, and the cops are almost always shown as dumb and in the wrong when it happens.

Captain Holt could be wrong on everything and I'd still love him though. :allears:

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Honestly, B99 gets a pass on a lot of stuff due to Holt. His sexuality is a strong part of the character informing his character, but its never the butt of a joke. Even when people are freaking out over his sex life it's because they equate it to imagining parents having sex, not because it's two dudes. :v:

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Ice T never looks as if he understands the script.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
There was one guy who was coerced and bullied into confessing for a crime he didn't commit, while the investigator hosed up checking the evidence, so he ended up in jail for nearly a decade - protesting his innocence the entire time.

Oh hey turns out he confessed to make the coercion and bullying stop, and a simple check meant the evidence against him didn't match up. He's freed, the detective looks remorseful for a moment and it's business as usual next week when she does the exact same thing.

:downs:

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Columbo had it right by showing the person's plan falling to poo poo but avoided any actual court case. It was purely about the detective unravelling threads.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Columbo is computer dumb, always. :v:

Can instantly tell how old an episode is by the size of the phone though. Or how sick he looks... :smith:

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

VideoGames posted:

My favourite thing about Columbo, and the reason I think it is my favourite detective show, is approaching every episode as Columbo being the villain. He often shows up so late into the story after we have gotten to know the antagonist of that week.

By the time he makes his apperance we get a much better idea of why a crime was committed (some of which even border into 'I wish they had gotten away with it') and the back and forth between the two leads is genuinely more interesting for it.

It was also quite clever in that, unless I missed something, a lot of episodes dealt with crimes arising from middle classes wanting more of something they already had, were spurred by jealousy, etc, rather than something which was done to survive. Factor in that the criminals always tried to cover things up, or planned it to be done that way, and it avoided the tang of Columbo harassing someone who didn't deserve it, or that his actions were out of proportion.

That show just clicks together.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
I just assumed Columbo talking about his wife was an euphemism for walking his dog.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
It was amazing at how well Ed Balls handled the mockery from that.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
A year too early? People vote to kill someone is a concept that's been dabbled with since even before social media was a thing. The only bit black mirror adds is magic bees, and even then I'm sure that's been in a few forms.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Oh, that makes a bit more sense. This is the same country that went mad over Katie Price being on I'm A Celeb, and collectively lost it'd poo poo over Big Brother.

We don't need something as big as Brexit to kill each other. :v:

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Would be odd to make halal meat the center of a star trek episode.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Books, my favourite television show.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
BBT will live on through the tears of its detractors. The Dominic Deegan effect.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Movie not to my tastes, says Digimon fan.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Care homes and hospitals I've been always go from room, or bed, 12 to 12a, then 14. :v:

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Even as a young teen I thought the guys on Miriam were dumb. Mate, if I was paid to spend time on a yacht I'd jump at the chance, even if she turned out to be Jason loving Voorhees.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
I always liked the idea Smithers had zero sexuality, he was just unfathomably committed to this one ugly evil dude.

But then we wouldnt have had Burns naive about Smithers bring on an all male holiday, so

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
You guys realise Lord Business was the bad guy, right.