Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
A huge number of early Simpsons episodes are reaaaaaally uncomfortably racist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
South Park normally sucks but I was surprised at how nice the yaoi episode was to everybody.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

The episode about yaoi, it was actually pretty nice to all the characters and everyone involved :shrug:.

also it's funny as hell

"Tweek x Craig" is the one

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

well why not posted:

The best parts of Community is when the turn the meta tap all the way on and you get stuff like "Subway" being a character. The worst part is when they try and do anything romantic. It's such a mess of a show, I can't help imagine what it'd be like if the cast and crew didn't cycle out like they do.

That being said, we got Childish Gambino, Rick & Morty and a lot of Dan Harmon metldowns so maybe it's all for the best.

I agree, the best episodes of Community is when they go gently caress it and now they're in a KFC rocket ship.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Strudel Man posted:

Couldn't you just cover up the bottom of the screen?

hahahahaha

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

BioEnchanted posted:

I think Zim has some humour that still works, mainly the absurd situations, like the members of the Irken Empire who's planet was turned into a giant weapon factory, so they intentionally make garbage weapons that serve no purpose like the giant robot that turns invisible - except the pilot can still be seen floating in midair, and it has a really short power cable that needs to be plugged in at all times.

I have learned to ignore fan bases. One of my favorite episodes of anything is the one about door to door sales because we've all been in either that situation or one where that's one hell of a metaphor.

You work yourself to death for capitalism. At the end there is no prize.

Pick has a new favorite as of 15:29 on Aug 5, 2017

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

RareAcumen posted:

Being serious again, does Gargoyles still hold up? I never got into it, because by the time I got Disney XD-or whatever the second channel was called- to watch it, they were already on like, episode 87 or something.

Gargoyles owns.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Mister Kingdom posted:

Just a side note - it's weird to know that Laura Ingalls Wilder died in 1957.

Not only that, but she vastly outlived her siblings. So when you read about her envying her one older sibling, her sister, Mary, know that Mary went blind (okay, that's in the books) at 12 or so and then lived the rest of her life as a miserable burden on her parents and eventually other sisters and died relatively young.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Lord Hydronium posted:

And in that time they went through at least nine presidents (including the unseen one from Season 1, or ten if you include Palmer's VP as Acting President). The Presidency in 24's America is basically cursed.
all too credible

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Most spinoff pitches are "what if we take X and then hyper exaggerate it"

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Rent made republicans.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Every time someone played La Boheme I could understand a little more of jeff sessions accent.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
I'm sorry dorkwads, but Alan Moore is actually just a really lovely writer who doesn't actually get what makes something good and is pretty much the poster boy for pseudo-edgy white guys who think they're smarter than everyone else.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Josef bugman posted:

There was a guy on these forums who described Neil Gaiman as "someone who is such a good genre writer he has transcended it's limitations and become a very bad normal writer".

Ahahahahahahaha.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Sandman's not that loving good. If it had lovely art it would be entirely unmemorable.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Guy Mann posted:

It's literally unwatchable to anybody who doesn't already have nostalgia for it.

I tried to watch it like 5 years ago and I do not even know what it is or for.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Aesop Poprock posted:

In comic book terms it might as well be the loving Sistine chapel

Well yes for sure.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Guy Mann posted:

Much like how TCC has done more to scare me off of drug use than any actual anti-drug propaganda, /r/relationships has done more to convince me that poly relationships are terrible than a lifetime living in this heteonormative thought prison we call America.

It'll be great for TV drama though.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Tiggum posted:

Where are poly relationships not still regarded as weird deviations from the norm?

IT

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

oldpainless posted:

People were not created to be in monogamous relationships.

People weren't created.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Nine loving seasons is too many seasons of anything. I don't know anything that stayed good past six.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Guy Mann posted:

Marty is a great old movie and all but the idea that Ernest Borgnine and Betsy Blair are unfuckable hags is just adorable.

Yeah it's a great movie and I wish there were more like it.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Tiggum posted:

I heard Babylon 5 was really good and watched about five episodes before giving up. I guess I'll give it another look at some point if the second season is as big an improvement as that.

It is in fact really good, but S1 is super uneven and shaky, but also sets up major series-long arcs. You don't "get" the payoff of Londo unless you watched S1 londo.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

someone awful. posted:

yea, smithers isn't like awful or anything. and i think a lot of my distaste with the way he was portrayed is just a result of him falling victim to the same character exaggeration as Homer and Ned Flanders and Lisa and everyone else; like that dude said upthread the Malibu Stacy computer joke for example is hilarious, for example.

writing comedy that ages well seems like an intensely difficult thing to do, and i don't envy anyone whose job is to try

As a kid, my favorite Simpsons characters were Mr. Burns, Smithers, and Bumblebee Man. Taught me a lot about life.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Inescapable Duck posted:

The weird thing is Apu is one of the better developed, three-dimensional characters on the show, going from one of Springfield's eligible bachelors and a sometime friend of the family to a frazzled overworked father of eight, though they never really pulled away from the stereotype when they had every opportunity.

Although remaining a retail clerk for years has sadly aged all too well.

Apu owns the Kwik-e-Mart; he even hired Homer at one point and made it clear that it was his business :shrug:. If I recall at one point he loses the franchise license though and has to get it back.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Samuringa posted:

It definitely didn't age well but Homerphobia still has my favorite Simpsons moment

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-uOBveFKdGs

"We work hard, we play hard."

That or Bart's April fool's prank.

This part is loving hilarious and I stand by that.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Mr. Burns was my favorite character as a kid along with Smithers. I never really understood why but I loved Mr. Burns.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Shining Time Station owned, I'm autistic as gently caress and I love trains.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

fruit on the bottom posted:

Megatron was at his best when his alt form was a pistol that someone else had to fire

Particularly by the ever-loyal Starscream who he let plot against him in a normal indoor speaking voice.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

EmmyOk posted:

Post the abe Lincoln seat gif

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

sweeperbravo posted:

This happened to me with the animated Beetlejuice series. I used to come home from Kindergarten and after Gargoyles wrapped up, Beetlejuice would come on. I loving loved it. I was in love with Beetlejuice, I wanted to be Beetlejuice and/or Lydia at any given time. I guess the show lineup changed because at some point I just must have abruptly stopped watching it.

In college I randomly looked up an episode on youtube. Holy poo poo it was so bad. Just like that lame, slow humor that probably a lot of shows from that era aimed at young kids had. I mean I love corny jokes but the pacing was just an enormous drag. 5 year old me had really low standards.

Gargoyles however is still extremely good.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Volcott posted:

Up until you get to the season that's just the big gargoyle and cop lady wandering the planet in a rowboat.

That didn't count and some of those episodes are ok.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Ein cooler Typ posted:

Don't they get married in the movie?

Beetlejuice tries to but no.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Wheat Loaf posted:

I went to see a movie where they played a Foster's Home for Imaginary Friends segment that was about 10 minutes long but felt like it was half an hour and all the characters (especially the blue one) were incredibly annoying. I still don't entirely see the appeal.

That show always sucked hot garbage.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

The plot of the third episode of NewsRadio revolves around the Joey Buttafuoco case.

That's actually a pretty fascinating case and it's interesting how the wife explains her perspective on things. Joey had always been a piece of poo poo, it took her a while to figure out because she had a very loyal and faithful personality. So by that time he'd already gambled away their house for cocaine once.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

I have always, always hated this show, and always, always laughed that America did Sherlock Holmes better with Elementary. Using their own Brit!

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
By the way, Elementary, an actual good show, is back on tonight with Season 6. And here's the thread.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Mu Zeta posted:

I got bored of Elementary but that was after watching nearly 50 episodes. The little arc they did with the British girl that was raped was well done. Is Clyde still alive?

Clyde is still alive and Kitty returned in a really interesting way that was handled well.

You did yourself a disservice by not waiting until Sherlock's dad showed up in Season 4, it was worth the buildup and he owns. :pusheen:

I'd rank the seasons as probably 4, 1, 3, 2, 5. Which is a weird pendulum, but none of the seasons are bad.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Lucy Liu has an incredibly distinctive face but it's very angular, which is more of a Western thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Elementary has a police detective character who is black, and his blackness does not completely define him, and neither is it completely ignored :monocle:.