Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
I can't find the episode name, but there was an episode of Seaquest DSV where a character describes someone who can't walk as "physically differently abled".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

I haven't watched it in ages, but I remember loving that show, especially if/when his attempts to low-key use his time travel for personal gain to backfire.

Like, one time he found that his Russian handler (I think she was?) liked a certain breed of flower and type of chocolate before going back in time to stop that threat. He gets her those flowers at the end of the episode, and she throws them away because shame on you for using information she told him from a timeline that would be erased.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Davros1 posted:

Regarding Hulk, it's funny that when I watched it as a kid, all I wanted was to see was the Hulk, but going back now as an adult, I find the Banner stuff far more interesting.

This is me with some of the Power Rangers series I've rewatched multiple times. I get it, 90s children show for babies and all, but sometimes they made the American footage more interesting.

gently caress the giant robots! I want to deal more with Billy freaking out because he actually graduated two years ago and his life has just been flipped over! I want to see Zhane and Astronomema awkwardly try to date despite having to try and kill each other every week!

Oh, hell, this is kinda content: once you're older and you notice the more egregious footage-copying poo poo early Power Rangers had to do (poo poo, we have the giant robot costume from X series but the giant monster costume from Y series! Make it work!), it really drains the nostalgia from it. Or when it becomes clearly obvious that three actors left the show and they needed to hide it for six episodes.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

ghost emoji posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FzhrCg9To14

This clip gets really weird about a minute and a half in.

It's weird, but "Frasier is worrying way too much about something" is a staple of the series. Hell, I think the episode resolves with the lady in question getting her own job, is thankful for Frasier letting her speak her mind, and her only regret is that he didn't just come up to her and talk to her about it.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
My Alan Moore story is that I disliked him ever since he bitched about DC's Blackest Night screwing with his one-shot take by expanding it into a thing that got me into reading Green Lantern (and comics in general).

Hell, this is (sorta) content, because Alan Moores take on it absolutely does not hold up for poo poo.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Krispy Kareem posted:

By then you're already winding down. Like when Scrubs replaced everyone except Turk.

I maintain that the main weakness of the final season of Scrubs was that they tried to thread the needle between the Old Cast and the New Cast, and failed because they kept going back to Old Cast stuff that had been resolved/finished years into the previous seasons. I dug the new cast more than most people, too. I wouldn't call it a shame the series didn't continue, but I do wonder what might've been.

Schubalts posted:

They get more mechanical designs in the sequel series, too, when they get back to Cybertron.

Beast Machines was a series that held up a lot better than those at the time would've thought. I remember being a kid on transformers forums that hated Beast Machines to the point of calling the guy who ran the show (Bob Skir, I want to say) a devil for ruining Transformers. I don't know precisely what happened afterwards, but I remember perusing TFwiki at some point a decade+ later, and evidently the post-Machines shows were so terrible that the fandom did a re-look at BM and went "welp, we were idiots when we complained about this".

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

CheesyDog posted:

The song is entirely from the perspective of a mover, the chorus literally talks about moving heavy furniture, and the music video depicts two movers watching Dire Strait music videos.

Yeah, I always treated it as a blue-collar guy angry/jealous that while he has to schlep furniture around to make money, he's exposed to these "faggots" prancing around with weird hair playing music making enough bank to cruise around on jet airplanes.

Its kinda like some folks on YouTube channels kvetching about whatever latest thing video game developers/publishers are doing: they are mad that not only is someone Doing It Wrong, but are doing well for it.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

John Murdoch posted:

You sure are eager for a new outlet ever since you got owned in the internet critics thread, huh.

I honestly hadn't made the connection to that. I mean, in hindsight it tracks (bluer-collar dudes being jealous about bands Doing It Wrong and being successful, youtubers being jealous of publishers Doing It Wrong and being successful), but I was pretty much thinking about the generic.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
I was always skeeved out by My Sharona, since the dude is saying he "always gets it up for the touch of the younger kind". Just looked it up, and at the time, the real-life Sharona was 16-17, and Doug Fieger was nearly a decade older than her. Not as drastic as some of the examples, but ishkabibble.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Absurd Alhazred posted:

How the gently caress was this a thing?!

Nikki Cox was on it, is how.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Aesop Poprock posted:

So it was literally a ripoff version of married with children with a rabbit puppet

And a pretty girl busting out of pretty much whatever they put her in, yup. I think at some point they started giving her equally-cute friends of the week to supplement the cheesecake.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
Didn't the original mom complain vaguely recently that she wasn't invited to a reunion, or something like that?

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Solice Kirsk posted:

I remember when Family Matters was like a working class Cosby Show and then once they decided Steve was going to be the main focus they had time travel episodes and puppets coming to life and Steve cloning himself.

They didn't have a choice. The eyeballs simply aren't on anyone but Steve. Iirc, the show had terrible ratings, and the supposed-to-be-a-one-off character of Urkel saved the show.

poo poo, wasn't the mom on Family Matters supposed to be the kinda-sorta Main Character? Carl took off, and then Steve really took off.

MisterBibs has a new favorite as of 06:00 on Dec 13, 2017

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
e: awkward, that was literally the first thing I posted in this thread.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Jedit posted:

A friend used to have episodes on in the background when I went round to playtest Magic decks, and I am convinced the laugh track is there to let the audience know when they are supposed to laugh

I can't remember where I read this, but you're both kinda right and kinda not. They've done studies on this sort of thing*, and people generally consider comedies less funny without the laugh track.

* All I remember is that it had two groups of people watching some comedy, with and without, and the amount of people saying "yes, this show is funny" was lower when there weren't laugh tracks.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

the_steve posted:

Definitely can't deny Al's loyalty.

I can't pin down the set-up / context for it, but there's an episode where Al refuses to sell his old car, for some reason or another. It's revealed at the end that he was stalling for time in order to get a picture of his family out of it before it's sold/destroyed/whatever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Scrubs had an episode where the show basically became a Standard Sitcom. Everyone's acting became broad as hell, a laugh track, everything working out for its happy ending, etc.