Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

carrionman
Oct 30, 2010

Kchama posted:

DmC was very weird overall because Capcom literally shopped out to people like that, and even refused to actually let them make it more like the original games when they started to feel like being backwards, edgy, and misanthropic was a really bad fit for DMC. All because Inafune convinced Capcom that 'everybody hates Japanese games' (maybe he talked to Phil Fish?) and that they had to go EDGY and hire western devs to do all their games for them to survive.

It was also completely redeemed by giving Dante a cowboy hat as a weapon in dmc5

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

carrionman
Oct 30, 2010
As a kiwi, 'gidday' works in any circumstances as a greeting.
Then you/youse for referring to other people. Maybe a "you lot" if I'm splitting a group up, or "you fuckwits" if it's in polite company.

carrionman
Oct 30, 2010

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

The n-word used to be a popular name for dogs up until at least the 1950s (and that has some loving layers to it), most notably the dog which was the mascot of the Dam Busters air squadron in WW2. There were complaints as recently as 2001 over modern movies about the Dam Busters either dropping all mention of the dog or changing its name to 'Trigger'.

I'm really torn on this tbh. It's a terrible slur, but that's why I think it's kinda important to point out that the heroes of this particular story weren't perfect and were people of their time.

It's like one of my old coworkers, he served in the nz army because he wanted to bring women's rights to the middle east because he was raised by a single mum.
He was also an outright neonazi who wouldn't work with Samoans or Tongans and leaving that out of any discussion of him would give you a completely different opinion on him.

Cutting out anything you find abhorrent now is how you get the weird military cult of the usa where they are all square jawed perfect heroes.

carrionman
Oct 30, 2010
I know someone went on a show that gave them 100 hours to learn a new skill, then they had to compete to see who had learned it best... but with a real loving stupid twist.

In this case they had to learn to play a tune on a piano, despite never having played one before.
The twist was for the competition they were put in massive jollie jumpers, the keyboard was the size of a room and they had to play by jumping onto plank sized keys.

The idea of learning a skill then competing with it was super cool, but damned if I know what kind of drugs went into the second part.

carrionman
Oct 30, 2010
Just to make it clear, the whole thing with the jumpers was never mentioned until the last minute.

So the lady I knew spent those hundred hours building all the dexterity and muscle memory in her fingers, how to play the keys then.... SIKE, INTO THE BOUNCER WITH YOU.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

carrionman
Oct 30, 2010

the_steve posted:

Gods yes. I remember when I could type into a search engine "How do I do the thing?" and I would get links to websites with articles that clearly said "Here is how to do the thing"

Now I either get 40 minute YouTube videos where the first half is waiting for the person to catch up to the point I managed to figure out on my own, or a dozen content aggregate clickbait sites with endless word counts like "Doing the thing is something many people want to do, but they often have difficulty doing the thing if they do not know how to do the thing. Fortunately, the thing can be done, which is good news for people who want to do the thing, and it's very simply to do the thing, even if you're a first timer at doing the thing."

gently caress yes, I can take in info from reading way quicker than listening to some mumbly nerd who has the only drat video on a specific topic. It also has the benefit of letting me work through steps at my own pace.