Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

I, Butthole posted:

So much of Seinfeld's premises would be completely and utterly destroyed by mobile phones.

The X-Files is like this too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch
A big problem is that until pretty recently, even with big name guys doing independent/personal projects the nature of the comics industry basically requires you to meat grinder every decent idea you have without giving it full time to ferment and develop. It's no coincidence that when you look at most comic writers best works its poo poo that they had kicking around in their brain while they did other projects for years. Otherwise you get poo poo like how Ellis has been trying to tell that "ultraviolent deconstruction of silver age superheroes through the lens of modern pop culture and specifically main characters that have been abused by the government" story for like 15 years and keeps almost getting it right and then immediately trying again. Like Desolation Jones/Authority/Stormwatch/GI Joe Resolute/Black Summer/No Hero all try and each individually get certain things right but never quite get everything he wants to say in them. The only comic writer I know who's had a consistently varied, high quality and consistent level of work over his entire career is Naoki Urasawa.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

Sheriff posted:

Thanks for reminding me of another exchange that doesn't hold up, not because it's problematic today but instead because it isn't what a conservative would believe. This one is from the pilot:

Hank Hill: How is cutting down on pollution a government plot, Dale?
Dale Gribble: Open up your eyes, man. They're trying to control global warming. Get it? GLO-BAL.
Hank Hill: So what?
Dale Gribble: That's code for U.N. commissars telling Americans what the temperature's going to be in their outdoors. I say let the world warm up, see what Boutros Boutros-Ghali-Ghali thinks about that! We'll grow oranges in Alaska.
Hank Hill: Dale, you giblet-head, we live in Texas. It's already 110° in the summer, and if it gets one degree hotter, I'm gonna kick your rear end!

I think this still almost works because one of the undercurrents of a lot of the good parts of that show were that Hank was willing to go against conservative politics and religion when they were being assholes to people. Lots of KotH poo poo didn't age well, even if it wasn't from that long ago. One Cool Customer is especially bad. The idea of, like, only cool hip people having tech gadgets in the modern day when everyone's gradma has an iPhone, or how the whole family style/open seating thing turned out to be a pretty short lived trend outside of hipster breweries and farm to table places.

Daria, as far as loosely Mike Judge associated things go, has held up remarkably well somehow. The final episode ("Boxing Daria") is maybe some of the best TV ever made for teenagers ever.