Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

Filthy Haiku posted:

Sorta, as someone who despises the word, the gang are all small minded bigots who absolutely would use that word.

She wasn't a terribly progressive portrayal but she wasn't really the butt of the jokes, the gang was.

I've recently rewatched a bunch of the show and noticed that the gang are the only people who treat her as anything but a woman, and even when someone points out that she's trans the universal reaction is "so what?" (or "well punching her just went from abusive to a hate crime, then"). My only criticism is that the poor girl's clearly never learned to tuck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

Hyrax Attack! posted:

Early Simpsons wasn't faultless, and they had lots of casual trans jokes such as Otto thinking Patty used to be a man, but for the late 80s/early 90s they were progressive. Matt Groening would add notes to avoid having karaoke bars be racist:
https://mobile.twitter.com/bobservo/status/758442670427557889?lang=en

Heh, I remember seeing this, along with the occasional "why doesn't he just let the creators write what they want" (:v:) and "I'm mad because he didn't use a term that hadn't been invented yet" responses.

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

Pick posted:

South Park

Pick posted:

nice to everybody

:confused:

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

mind the walrus posted:

The Community Christmas episode where Abed has a mental break and see everything as claymation, and the plot is about all the other characters trying to help him was novel enough on air but is terminally obnoxious now. Like a lot of meta humor it comes across as really self satisfied and thinking it is very clever.

The Christmas episode with the Glee club in that show holds up better until the third act, because while the general Glee mockery is dated the concept of recruitment-as-bodysnatching is still funny. "I know the stakes are incredibly low but that somehow makes them even scarier" sums them up.

I wonder how the Law and Order parody plays today to people unfamiliar with the franchise. The episode is funny on its own, but must seen really surreal if you've never seen a Dick Wolf or Speed Weed show.

Also everything about Abed is insufferable now. The character was progressive in 2009 but seems really stereotypical now and the show breaks its back to keep the character from being challenged.

Community suffered a lot from NBC firing Dan Harmon at the end of season 3 and several of the seasoned writers walking off in protest. (That's why Starburns "dies".) All the actual development Harmon wanted to do was replaced by going back to the episodic "zaniness" of the first season in season 4, season 5 was Harmon trying to prove to NBC that he could still do the job they wanted him to, and season 6 was Harmon trying to prove to Yahoo that he could recoup their investment.

I've never knowingly seen a Dick Wolf or Speed Weed show (I don't even know what Speed Weed is), and I thought "Lupine Urology" was funny.

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

letthereberock posted:

Seriously, can anyone who wasn't around in 1991 possibly make sense of this?
https://youtu.be/SXmFYSNbtII

Goddammit, I clicked this thinking "it can't possibly be that specific" and as soon as it started I knew exactly which loving commercial they were sending up.

On the other hand, without that knowledge it kind of comes back around to the surrealist humor that's popular with The Kids These Days, so.

YeahTubaMike posted:

That episode was loving horrible -- not just unfunny, but absurdly mean-spirited -- and I don't understand how anyone could possibly root for Fry/Leela after seeing how he treated her in it.

Yeah, Fry was pretty reprehensible in that episode and it's a little weird that they never touched on "how can Leela ever trust him again?" or "is Leela going to wince every time she hears laughter for the next few years?".

On the other hand, it gave us

SneezeOfTheDecade has a new favorite as of 17:35 on Jul 31, 2017

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

Ein cooler Typ posted:

The last episode of Star Trek was about how females are too emotional to be Starfleet captains

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

bagshotrow posted:

Oh hey, how about the really awkward fact that for the first four or five seasons of Archer their espionage agency was called ISIS? I haven't seen the most recent season, I imagine they must have had some kind of joke about this by now, but I imagine this will only get more awkward in later years when people go "wait, what year was it? did they name this after the other thing, or"

For what it's worth, the writers shut down ISIS because of the rise of the Islamic State; they thought it was in poor taste to keep going with it, even after the international community largely settled on either "Islamic State" or "Daesh".

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

Guy Mann posted:

How can a show age poorly when it was already awful from the moment it was conceived?

I dunno, but we've been talking about South Park for a couple pages so apparently it's possible.

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

Arcsquad12 posted:

Recess will always get a pass from me because the School's Out film had James Woods hamming it up as a bond villain.

As it turns out, James Woods has also aged poorly.

quote:

...the Once Upon a Time in America actor tweeted a photo on Sunday, July 9, of a 10-year-old boy and his family celebrating at a recent Pride Parade with the parents holding signs that say “I [love] my gender creative son!” and “My son wears dresses & makeup … get over it!!” Woods wrote, “This is sweet. Wait until this poor kid grows up, realizes what you’ve done, and stuffs both of you dismembered into a freezer in the garage.”

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

Calaveron posted:

I loved watching this thread devolve from old TV shows having materials that don't mesh well with today's morals and philosophy to slap fights about people interpreting TV shows wrong :allears:

yeah, this thread didn't age very well

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

BiggerBoat posted:

They should give that show the 21 Jump Street treatment and make a funny movie out of it. I think it'd be hilarious to remake it in terms of 6 million dollars being cheap and his poo poo keeps breaking or runs on DOS or something.

The 6 Million Dollar Greatest American Hero.

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

Hyrax Attack! posted:

I liked the action scenes in that movie, but as a story it was dull as dishwater. One thing most people know about the book is that germs take down the martians... and that happens without any twist. I wish they had used the Alan Moore idea, where germs kill the martians, but they are biological warfare adapted from anthrax and smallpox (or something) and also wipe out lots of humans in the war zone. But that might have hurt the go go USA theme.

I dunno, WotW is basically "what if New World diseases had killed off Old World colonists the way Old World diseases killed off New World inhabitants", and making them artificial and weaponized deflates the premise a little.

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts
Let's talk about how well Predator and 48 Hours aged so I can feel better about Sonny Landham dying. (I haven't seen them in ages and I'm away from home, someone else go first.)

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

The Sexual Shiite posted:

Not to mention Orson Scott Card and Piers Anthony.

I dunno about "later years", Xanth was "how can this average schlub bang the hot princess" from the beginning and Ender's Game had a scene with two teenage boys naked in a shower.

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

mojo1701a posted:

There's a surprising amount of movies that are made like this (though not always due to rights issues). I'm pretty sure most, if not all Die Hard movies were originally an unrelated screenplay that was adapted to Die Hard.

Almost all.

Die Hard 2 is 58 Minutes.
Die Hard waV was a film called "Simon Says", intended for Brandon Lee.
LFo Die Hard was "WW3.com", a cyberterrorism film that was shelved after 9/11.
AGDt Die Hard was actually a Die Hard movie, but was supposed to be a crossover with "24".

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts
I'm filing suit against Larry Cohen and Martin Poll on behalf of Apollonius Rhodius, author of the Argonautica.

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

Aesop Poprock posted:

What's weird is that my brain somehow combined this episode with some live action show I can't remember the name of where a kid with AIDs is on the swimteam of a highschool (i think) and he cracked his head open in the pool and everyone panics and flees and all the parents are angry and reacting like the kid's a monster etc. Does anyone know what the hell show I'm talking about? Cause for a while I thought captain planet had an aids kid bleeding in a pool and I was trying to remember how they got around the censors for that. I also remember thinking "I'd probably get the gently caress out of a pool a kid was bleeding heavily in regardless cause gross"

I can't think of a TV series that did this, but "Jessie's Song" aired about two years after Greg Louganis, an HIV-positive diver, hit his head on the board at the 1988 Olympics and his blood got into the pool; there was a lot of furor because he hadn't disclosed his HIV status.

Interestingly, in 1997, Mario Lopez - who played Slater on Saved By The Bell - played Louganis in a TV movie about the incident.

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

Instant Sunrise posted:

Also it doesn't help that SNL parodied this with "Dear Sister."

Beat me to it, but here's the link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vmd1qMN5Yo0

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

Choco1980 posted:

Yeah, Feldman is on record as saying that that's exactly what led Haim down the spiral to suicide iirc.

Okay, I'm seven years late, but goddammit why do I always find out from a PYF thread.

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

Leavemywife posted:

Sex and the City, maybe? What about JAG? Both of those seemed super popular for whatever reason, but I don't think many people talk about them now.

I always mentally expand "JAG" to "Jet-Assisted General". It's a much more fun show that way.

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

Ambitious Spider posted:

Last time I saw that was in the Clerks animated show, which I loved at the time, but that was in high school and I've kind of soured on Kevin smith in general so don't really want to see if it holds up

Clip shows are pretty stale at this point, yeah. "Clerks" and "Community" had the only fresh takes on it I've seen in a while ("Clerks" did it as the second episode, so all their flashbacks were to the first episode; "Community"'s clips were all new footage of adventures the characters had but which were never actually episodes).

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

Rambling Robot posted:

Do you remember what episode it was?

I dunno about cameo appearances, but Season 10, Episode 5 "Back to the Pilot" has Brian and Stewie traveling back to January 31, 1999 and commenting on the style changes since then. (I just watched it; I don't actually like Family Guy but it's a surprisingly solid episode except for a math error late in the episode that ruins a joke.)

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

speaking of aging badly, I never really read Achewood but I kinda thought better of it than the old transphobic "lol that man looks like a lady" gag.

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

Aesop Poprock posted:

Expecting there to not be gay/trans humor in your early -late 2000s webcomics is like expecting to not inhale truck fumes if you're eating in your car at a Sonic

I know, but having only been exposed to it through its fanbase...

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

It's honestly really surprising that its fanbase is as hard-left as it is.

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

Tiggum posted:

It's not slang, that's the proper term.

If the place you're from is literally the only place on earth that phrases it that way, congratulations, it's slang.

"Drink driving" is wrong because "drink" is a verb and "drunk" is an adjective. If someone is distracted by their phone you don't say they're "distract driving". And the "no one ever thinks they're too drunk to drive, so 'drunk driving' is wrong" argument falls apart the first time you hear someone say "no, I haven't been drinking, I just had a couple of beers with my friends."

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

aardwolf posted:

...honestly, I'm pretty confused here. I think you just confirmed my argument.

If "drunk driving" doesn't capture people who don't think of themselves as drunk, then "drink driving" doesn't capture people who don't think of themselves as having been drinking.

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

dissss posted:

We wouldn't say 'distract driving' but would say 'distracted driving'.

yes, because - stick with me here - "distracted" is an adjective, just like "drunk".

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

bunnyofdoom posted:

Did they carry a harpoon?

Yes, but there ain't no whales.

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

SpacePig posted:

I still think the movies are okay, but the newer Comedy Central seasons were just awful. I remember turning on the exact one Nemesis of Moles was talking about, only to have Fry say, out loud, "Leela, you have a singing boil named Susan?", and I had to immediately change it away. I don't think the movies at their worst were anywhere near that bad.

Even the writers and producers acknowledge that that episode was a disaster; it's not really fair to judge the whole four-season CC run based on it. (That episode also generated the "shut up and take my money" meme; whether that's positive or negative is up to you.)

The trouble with the later seasons is that they didn't actually have much of a full-time writing staff anymore - the "best-educated writers' room in television" basically became a series of spec scripts - so stuff that would have been cut in the writers' room in the first run made it to storyboards in the latter half.

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

Wheat Loaf posted:

The Comedy Central series has some decent episodes (the one with the time machine that only goes forwards is funny).

"We'll have to bring her around again!"

Aesop Poprock posted:

That's gotta be one of those mistaken memory moments for me cause when I first saw that meme I was certain it was from an earlier season episode. I've only seen like 3 of the new seasons ones and the Susan Boil one wasn't one of them (although all 3 I saw weren't good so I didn't watch more)

You're not the first person I've seen say this and it makes me wonder which earlier episode has a scene like it. (Maybe the one where compound interest makes Fry a billionaire?)

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

Inescapable Duck posted:

I never was sure what Lister's ethnicity is, but sounds right.

Craig Charles's father was from Guyana, and Danny John-Jules's parents were from Dominica.

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts
The full run of Futurama is up on Hulu now if you're feeling nostalgic for the early episodes.

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

Ein cooler Typ posted:

the actress got pregnant in irl life but the character couldn't have a kid because she wasn't married so that's why they had to do that weird thing where she's carrying Keiko's baby

That's why she yells "this is all your fault" at Bashir when she's actually giving birth - Alexander Siddig who is great as R'as al Ghul in "Gotham" this season was the father.

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

Len posted:

Can I stream Red Dwarf anywhere?

It's on Amazon Video, but if you're outside the UK you'll have to pay $7 a month for BritBox access.

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

FreeMars posted:

'splain how

John Ritter, the star of the show, suffered an aortic dissection while filming the second season and died during surgery to repair it. The show continued but sort of fell apart without him (it didn't help that the showrunner also quit after the second season).

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

Ein cooler Typ posted:

in tyool 2017 it's misogynistic to want to make sure your daughters aren't dating assholes -_-

The premise of the show was "I literally own my children and I, not them, get to set the rules surrounding the people they date." :jerkbag:

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

El Gallinero Gros posted:

I work in a chain grocery store and they regularly play "There She Goes" by the La's and I always take amusement in telling younger employees what the song is about.

You'll be disappointed to learn that the song predates the band's use of heroin and that they deny that rumor flat-out and have for years.

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

The Bloop posted:

I'm like a woke super bleeding heart leftist pinko who doesn't miss a pride parade and thinks we should accept infinity refugees but I just can't get worked up over accent jokes.

Like I can't imagine that being particularly insulting to Asians. As a monoglot American, the fact that someone speaks a second language with an accent still makes them better than me, language-wise.

I'll update my opinions if I hear that this is really a problem, but it seems like literally the lowest priority poo poo. Like Fa-ra-ra-ra-Ra in A Christmas Story... Those people were being really nice and in no way were the butt of anything.

If that was just a part of a larger insult I'd feel differently, but if it's accent alone... Ehh.

Can I keep my libcard?

Okay, so this has been done to death already, but I just want to point one more thing out: most Chinese dialects distinguish between "l" and "r" in a lot of cases.

When you see things like "Toys L Us" in Chinatown, it's ascribing to Chinese people a Japanese stereotype.

That's orientalism, and it's racist.

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

Solice Kirsk posted:

Did Stringer and Avon not get what was coming to them? Should they have gotten a happy ending or something?

The point was that in the eyes of the alt-right, Walter was a white drug kingpin, so he was a brilliant, rebellious hero who was unjustly brought down by the system, while Avon and Stringer were black drug kingpins, so they were mindless thugs who got what was coming to them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

BiggerBoat posted:

I meant the alt right that worship WW wouldn't extend that admiration for Stringer or Avon.

So we agree?