Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Violet_Sky
Dec 5, 2011

Fun Shoe
I really like Prairie Fires. The Little House books and TV show were always interesting to me. It seemed like a fairy tale world. My third grade class also did a unit on pioneers around the time I read those books and I've always liked history. A lot of what I learned about pioneers seemed really whitewashed in hindsight. We barely knew about First Nations people except that they were one with nature. I grew up in Canada and First Nations education seemed ignored right up until Grade 10. We learned about smallpox blankets and residential schools then. I didn't even know Stanley Park was once inhabited by First Nations until a year ago. At least in British Columbia they are trying to teach more First Nations history and culture in schools now.

My education did not age well. Also, are there any more books like Prairie Fires that are about the real histories behind pop culture?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Violet_Sky
Dec 5, 2011

Fun Shoe

Scaramouche posted:

That was... actually not nearly as crazy and strident as I was expecting (old SNPP hand here). There's some interesting stuff here for anyone who wants a relatively well-argued opinion on the decline of the Simpsons. I don't actually agree with a some of it (I see "The Principal and the Pauper" as more of chaotic burn down the world moment rather than "The writers were out of ideas, and the fans were attached to what they already knew") but unlike a lot of material like this I can't imagine the author wiping flecks of foam out of his beard while he writes it.

The old Simpsons comments were nuts. They rated Homer goes to College as terrible. I barely existed back in those days so thanks for archiving the old episode capsules.

Violet_Sky
Dec 5, 2011

Fun Shoe

sexpig by night posted:

is it possible for a reboot to be so bad it makes its old version age better? One bold team dares to say 'absolutely yes let's do it'.

You guys ever see Heathers, that old movie slash musical about a disfunctional pair of outcasts and high school's crazy rigid social circles ruled over by a trio of WASPy rich girls who destroy anyone not like them?

What if we did that, but reverse?

Did Reddit make this?

Violet_Sky
Dec 5, 2011

Fun Shoe
I somehow liked Megababies for one full minute when I was a kid. :stonk:

Violet_Sky
Dec 5, 2011

Fun Shoe

Barudak posted:

Those shows are now on YouTube and the people who make them make loving millions.

See also: Unboxing videos

Violet_Sky
Dec 5, 2011

Fun Shoe
The Mask kinda freaked me out as a kid. It doesn't surprise that he was originally evil.

Violet_Sky
Dec 5, 2011

Fun Shoe
This deleted front page article aged like milk

Violet_Sky
Dec 5, 2011

Fun Shoe

LMAO at this manbaby crying over all the QUEER clubs

Violet_Sky
Dec 5, 2011

Fun Shoe
Joel Hodgson once caught Gallagher going through Joel's things without his permission (WTF)

Also the Rice Krispie dudes being gay bit sounds like something you would find on DeviantArt

Violet_Sky
Dec 5, 2011

Fun Shoe
Has This Is Spinal Tap aged well? I got the DVD for my Mom because she wanted to watch it. (She likes physical media)

Violet_Sky
Dec 5, 2011

Fun Shoe
It looks like a well-edited Youtube skit to me tbh.

Violet_Sky
Dec 5, 2011

Fun Shoe

oldpainless posted:

All true but did you see the pickle rick episode? Swear to god the funniest poo poo I’ve ever seen in my life

Pickle rick is the new Monty Python and the Holy Grail for insufferable nerds.

Change my mind

Violet_Sky
Dec 5, 2011

Fun Shoe

Ambitious Spider posted:

You Only Live Twice. What could go wrong with bond having fun adventures in Japan?

:stonk:

Even by 60s Bond standards this one is pretty misogynistic, though there's no outright sexual assault (just lots of intense sexual harassemnt).Donald Pleasance is great, and so is the scene where bloefield and bond meet, but otherwise this is a pretty weak bond entry, aside from it's offensiveness.

That reminds me of the time George Takei described one of his first film roles. One of his lines was "I am simple Japanese gardener!" Cue the Asian music.

Violet_Sky
Dec 5, 2011

Fun Shoe

Platystemon posted:

The crew commentary track on this one is wild. There were some cultural differences.

All I remember about the film itself is that the lairs were cool, there was a gyrocopter, and they scared Blofeld’s cat so severely that its trainer took the producers to court for compensation.

I wonder if the film was popular in Japan

Violet_Sky
Dec 5, 2011

Fun Shoe
Heres something that aged...weirdly. I've been replaying Earthbound and those faith-healers (idk what they are called) in the hospitals sure do look a lot different in the Covid era. At least the ones in Earthbound actually work. Also the stuff about Monotoli and the cops hits different as an adult.

Violet_Sky
Dec 5, 2011

Fun Shoe
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ugM-dUiiRok

It's Pat is a big pile of yikes.

Violet_Sky
Dec 5, 2011

Fun Shoe
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seriously,_Dude,_I%27m_Gay

I'm not sure a reality show where two straight dudes pretend to be gay was ever gonna age well.

Violet_Sky
Dec 5, 2011

Fun Shoe
Shrek was the movie that afterschool groups and the like put on for the kids to watch when I was growing up. I think it was the only animated movie cynical adults liked.

Violet_Sky
Dec 5, 2011

Fun Shoe
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7aloGdnDx8Y

The Elvis movies have aged super weirdly.

Violet_Sky
Dec 5, 2011

Fun Shoe

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

The n-word used to be a popular name for dogs up until at least the 1950s (and that has some loving layers to it), most notably the dog which was the mascot of the Dam Busters air squadron in WW2. There were complaints as recently as 2001 over modern movies about the Dam Busters either dropping all mention of the dog or changing its name to 'Trigger'.

My great-grandfather used to have a dog named that. It was a black lab IIRC

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Violet_Sky
Dec 5, 2011

Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/thisiselliz/status/1761225640140062761

These lyrics were never aging well but yikes