Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I think reliance on being topical is why shows like Murphy Brown aren't exactly big cultural touchstones today despite running for 10 years and winning Candice Bergen five Emmys in a row.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lot of Friends jokes were "CHANDLER might be GAY!" weren't they?

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
One of the Comedy Central episodes of Futurama (the iPhone / Twitter parody one) has a subplot where Leela has an intelligent boil called Susan who sings show tunes with her. It's odd how that dates the episode more than any of the social media stuff.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

mind the walrus posted:

And Ice T taking about Kotaku and Civilization in the most unconvincing manner possible.

I believe there was one episode involving video games from the first half of SVU's run - either a Second Life type simulator or a JRPG - in which Ice T describes video games as "magical rape land".

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Best (or "best") quote ever made about Father of the Pride:

Jeffrey Katzenberg, CEO of DreamWorks Animation posted:

According to Katzenberg, Siegfried and Roy's reactions were more positive: "They laughed. A lot. They kept asking us to create more contradiction. Literally, one's blond and one's dark, and every aspect of their life is as black and white as that. They are always playful with one another, always playing tricks on one another. They encouraged us to have fun with that."

There's the standard of comedy they were aiming for.

Only thing I remember about the show is that Donkey from Shrek was a guest star in one episode.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Guy Mann posted:

Dragnet is so old that it was airing when the Miranda rights were instituted and there's an episode of the cops complaining about how it's so unfair and way harder to do their jobs now that they have to read people their rights.

Read 'em their rights. Read 'em their rights.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

shame on an IGA posted:

Walker: Texas Ranger was almost as big on ritual child sacrifice as it was on casual racism and terrible editing

There's one I remember watching with my dad when I was little where Walker investigates a Satanic cult, purely from its cold opening.

A mother sends her son out on Halloween night to go trick-or-treating. She goes back into her house, turns on her radio, and hears that a Satanic cult has been kidnapping children in the area. She rushes outside and to her horror discovers that the Satanic cultists have kidnapped her son. How does she know this? Because in the 10 seconds or so between her going back in and coming back out, they've painted a giant, perfect pentacle on her driveway, and are driving away in their van, while cackling.

The other one I remember is when Nazis are menacing an African-American church (but Walker can't actually roundhouse kick them or anything because they haven't technically committed any crimes) and at the end of the episode they burn a cross on its front lawn, but Walker and the minister are able to put the fire out by praying.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I liked Rugrats a lot when I was little. It's got a bit of an off-putting art style in retrospect. Same with Rocket Power.

I don't think a lot of the Hanna Barbera cartoons from the 60s and 70s have aged well, especially in comparison to what Disney and Warner Bros were doing at the same time.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Doug is a show I enjoyed when I was younger (both the Nick and Disney versions) then about 12-ish years ago when I started going on Internet message boards, I discovered that people loving hated Doug, and I could never understand why. Even years later, I don't understand why people hate Doug, because there's just so little there to hate.

I've read that apparently Doug had one of the most detailed pitch / series bibles ever put together for a TV show, animated or otherwise, which is interesting (the most detailed I've seen myself is Ron Moore's BSG series bible) even though I've no idea if it's actually true.

I liked the Disney ones. Is there anything about Recess that's particularly dated? I think it's managed to age fairly well.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I feel like Doug was the Disney version of Hey Arnold (even before it was on Disney, when they were both on Nickelodeon), which always felt more down-to-earth to me, even when I was younger. I mean, Hey Arnold had "Helga On the Couch", and I don't think Doug ever had anything like that.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Arcsquad12 posted:

Recess will always get a pass from me because the School's Out film had James Woods hamming it up as a bond villain.

Also has that bit where Miss Finster smashes through a skylight on the end of a rope like a commando then yells, "Hey! Teacher! Leave those kids alone!"

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
He was a Democrat right up until Obama won, so you can probably draw your own conclusions.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
The thing from Doug that I most remember is the episode where he turns 12 and becomes worried that he isn't mature enough, so he starts taping hair under his arms and sits down with his father to have a serious discussion about what a clutch is in a car, prompted by a daydream about him being Mad Max and not being able to outrun the bad guys because he doesn't know how to change gears.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Straight White Shark posted:

EDIT: The only Doug episode that sticks out negatively in my mind was the one where Doug invites Skeeter to draw comics with him and gets pissy because he doesn't like the feel of Skeeter's superhero. It felt like Doug was being a huge dick and the show just treated it as being a 50/50 blame situation instead of Doug ever really realizing how rude he's being.

Sure, that's the one where Skeeter does the typical "kid making superhero version of themselves" thing where he has all the powers and just makes them up as he goes along.

When I was very young, I liked Thomas the Tank Engine. I think the old stop motion model episodes hold up decently well as far as shows for toddlers go. But I've recently seen some of the newer CGI ones and I have the distinct impression that those probably won't age quite as gracefully.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

mind the walrus posted:

iirc they loving "Cask of Amontillado" a train in the first episode (or book, can't recall) because he was disobedient.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Were those created for the US adaptation of the show? I don't recognise them and I had (disclaimer: I was three years old) the Thomas & Friends singalong VHS tape. :v:

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
A lot of those post-Lost "mystery box" shows which promised a big mystery with loads of twists and turns where every answer just raised more questions (and then got cancelled after one season without ever resolving their cliffhangers) certainly haven't aged well, not so much for their content as the fact that the zeitgeist has moved so far on from them.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Tiggum posted:

Yes Minister/Yes, Prime Minister is still really good.

I knew a guy in university who refused to watch them. Why? Because they were Margaret Thatcher's favourites.

One sitcom that I think has aged strangely is Dad's Army, just by virtue of being a sitcom made in the 1960s and 1970s but set in the 1940s. I enjoy it, but I feel like it must surely have lost something with the passage of time, simply because when it was first broadcast, the Second World War was a living memory for most of the audience, and those viewers for whom it wasn't were their children.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Inescapable Duck posted:

Ahhh Real Monsters was one of the better takes on gross-out humour the 90s was big on, but there's not a whole hell of a lot else to it.

Re: gross-out humour, I wonder how Ren and Stimpy holds up? I haven't seen it in years and years.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Other cartoons from my childhood (also sort of on the "gross out" spectrum, but not exactly) which I haven't really seen since then but which I'm pretty sure wouldn't hold up include Cow & Chicken, 2 Stupid Dogs and (when I was a little older) Ed, Edd 'n' Eddy.

There was actually one really memorable episode of the last one, where they set out to learn everything about the world and end up playing around with cartoon physics (picking up holes off the ground, pulling peoples' mouths off, stealing one character's outline so he dissolved into a puddle etc.)

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

OldTennisCourt posted:

I can't loving stand those stupid "HEY YOU KNOW THIS CARTOON? LEMMEE TELL YOU HOW IT'S REALLY ABOUT DEAD KIDS/KID IN A COMA/DEMONS/HELL." It's the laziest poo poo in the world.

I remember reading one 10+ years ago which said that Ash was put in a coma when Pikachu shocked him in the first episode of Pokémon and the entire series is him hallucinating. It was sort of funny, then it got to stuff like, "Brock obviously represents Ash's repressed homosexuality, which caused his abusive father, Giovanni, to reject him," which was a bit try-hard, then it got into this miserable fanfiction about how his mother has to switch off his life support.

But the funniest thing about it was that someone - rather than rolling their eyes and closing the page like a sensible person would - took it seriously enough to write this rambling, asinine rebuttal that was even longer than the original thing.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Mister Kingdom posted:

Just a side note - it's weird to know that Laura Ingalls Wilder died in 1957.

Sort of like how Wyatt Earp died in 1929 and spent the last decade of his life in Hollywood working as a consultant on western movies?

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

RareAcumen posted:

I'm extremely easy to please and enjoyed Community throughout its seasons without many problems so can we go back to Walker Texas Ranger and why that sucked? From what I saw, it's just Chuck Norris kicking people who have the hand-to-hand skills of a pinata.

By the final season, Walker was coming face-to-face with grizzly bears and they'd run away after he stared them down.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

RareAcumen posted:

I doubt it, it wasn't the RDJ Sherlock Holmes movie. :v:

I enjoy the bit in the second one where he faces off against Moriarty and they're both playing out their fight strategies in their heads.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

BiggerBoat posted:

I mentioned "The Six Million Dollar Man" earlier and I think the first season or so largely holds up but, jesus christ, then we got bionic dogs, bionic babe and bionic bigfoot and ...actually...wait...I take it back because that poo poo owns. What's wrong with me and what am I talking about? They should give that show the 21 Jump Street treatment and make a funny movie out of it. I think it'd be hilarious to remake it in terms of 6 million dollars being cheap and his poo poo keeps breaking or runs on DOS or something.

None of the one season "superhero" shows from the 80s have aged too well. Stuff like Automan, for instance, or Manimal.

One mildly curious Manimal factoid I learned from Wikipedia is that its star, Simon MacCorkindale (who was one of several actors considered for James Bond in 1987 before Dalton was cast), was apparently one of the first British actors to become popular on American television* (along with Joan Collins on Dynasty) but when he began his career in America, he was told that he shouldn't use his natural accent, because American viewers in the 80s didn't want to see or hear some English posho.

Fast forward 10 years to 1990 and Patrick Stewart's playing Captain Picard, and suddenly every science-fiction series wants some kind of token English posho.

* As opposed to British TV shows that became popular in America, that is. The highest paid TV star in the world in 1970, ten years beforehand, was Roger Moore and even he used that sort of Transatlantic accent when he was in The Saint and The Persuaders!

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Chrpno posted:

I don't know what this crappy Brit 80s show is, but they're doing dodgy deals with one of the best satirical indie bands around

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=usyn9sBFMHo

Ah, Byker Grove.

"E'S BLIND, MAN! HE CANNAE SEE!"

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL posted:

It was, and iirc Moore was only allowed to be in pants one scene per show due to the network being concerned about morals or whatever at the time period.

I enjoy the story about Katherine Hepburn being told that she couldn't wear trousers around a studio lot in the 1950s (or earlier, I'm not sure) and responding by taking them off and going around in her underwear instead until they said she could put them back on.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Imagine if the Simpsons had aged in real time. Maggie would be 25, Bart and Lisa would be in their mid-30s and Homer and Marge would be 60.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

BiggerBoat posted:

Wasn't AITF the first show to ever show a toilet or something?

I can say with complete sincerity that a 23-year old joke from The Simpsons finally makes sense to me. :D

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Wasn't there a parody article somewhere about Carrie losing her job during the recession or did I imagine that?

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Her grandmother owned the apartment but didn't even live in New York, so I think they didn't actually pay rent on it?

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

funmanguy posted:

One that I feel has aged particularly well was A Nero Wolf Mystery. Mostly that's due to the original stories being quite entertaining and the shows fairly rigid adherence to Rex Stouts books anencephaly short stories. Another part is the show almost never had any guest stars, instead it used an ensemble cast that played a new character every week. The consistent characters were always played by the same actors, but a murder victim in one episode will be the murderer in the next.

Some do age poorly but those are the ones set in the early 60s without nearly as much work put into the sets and locations as he 40s and 50s episodes.

It's a pity that they never got to the Zeck trilogy.

Maury Chaykin as Wolfe was Jeremy Brett as Sherlock Holmes level casting. I have no idea who you could cast if you tried to reboot Nero Wolfe today.

Could you imagine, say, the CW doing a Nero Wolfe show? Wolfe would be played by Ian Somerhalder and always talk about how he used to be fat.

Also, Kari Matchett looked fantastic in that show.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Lichtenstein posted:

Hutton rocked as Archie too. Really, half the show was just watching them two gently caress around.

Oh, yeah, Hutton's a lot of fun in it - I believe he was a pretty big driving force behind the scenes as well; produced and directed some episodes and generally made sure the programme stuck to the spirit of the novels.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

WebDog posted:

Oooh yeah. Wish there was a compilation of bad early CG; Captain Power and the Soldiers of the Future, Xena, Hercules, Sinbad, Babylon 5.

Don't forget old live-action PC game cutscenes.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Hyrax Attack! posted:

I wish they had used the Alan Moore idea, where germs kill the martians, but they are biological warfare adapted from anthrax and smallpox (or something) and also wipe out lots of humans in the war zone. But that might have hurt the go go USA theme.

Which were, of course, created by Dr Moreau.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I believe the use of bio-weapons against the Martians is there so Nemo chooses to quit and break up the team.

(The best parody/take-off/pseudo-sequel to WotW is "Famous Monsters" by Kim Newman, where the humans and aliens make peace and one of them - the narrator - goes to Hollywood and becomes the first Martian in movies.)

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Lt. Danger posted:

As I understand it League of Extraordinary Gentlemen is commentary on the British literary canon in general, not the War of the Worlds (original version or otherwise).

I admit I'm not sure how I'm meant to take Alan Moore denouncing James Bond as a racist, sexist alcoholic thug (fair enough)... through the mouthpiece of an H. Rider Haggard character. Like, is that meant to be ironic, or is it just, "It's okay if my childhood favourites are problematic"? :shrug:

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Absurd Alhazred posted:

I couldn't actually get past the first few pages of LoEG because it starts with one of the protagonists almost being raped by Arab caricatures who spoke clearly miswritten Arabic only to be saved by a Great White Hero.

Well, like I said:

Wheat Loaf posted:

I admit I'm not sure how I'm meant to take Alan Moore denouncing James Bond as a racist, sexist alcoholic thug (fair enough)... through the mouthpiece of an H. Rider Haggard character. Like, is that meant to be ironic, or is it just, "It's okay if my childhood favourites are problematic"? :shrug:

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Absurd Alhazred posted:

I don't know enough about the franchise or apparently Victorian adventure pulps to understand how these two relate. :smith:

H. Rider Haggard created Quatermain and he was a great adventure writer, but his work has a reputation for embodying a lot of the worst colonialist and chauvinistic attitudes of his day. He has been described by one African literary critic as "one of the geniuses of racism".

Guy Mann posted:

Even at it's most problematic the first few arcs of LoEG we're entertaining which is more than you can say for almost every other "*every pop culture thing I like comes in for a HUGE party*" thing out there, public domain or otherwise. Just stop after the War of the Worlds arc and you're good, it even functions as a pretty natural end point.

I think Anno Dracula is better than LoEG.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Sunswipe posted:

Does this mean it's finally ok for me to say I've always preferred the movie to the comic of LoEG?

I think you can leave comparisons with the comics aside and conclude that the movie's not great on its own merits; the second Guy Ritchie Sherlock Holmes movie does the same plot but is a lot more fun about it.

I suppose if they had another go at it, it'd be the big Avengers style crossover following on from big action remakes of Dracula and King Solomon's Mines and so on. Which might be fun, but the fact that Universal's intent of spinning this big monsters franchise out of the terrible Mummy remake with Tom Cruise (apparently they're confident that their Bride of Frankenstein remake will be a billion dollar movie) means it's probably a non-starter for the next few years.