Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

bagshotrow posted:

The episode of the Simpsons where Homer thinks Bart is gay aged pretty badly; Homer's bigotry didn't seem that extreme at the time, but in 2017 he just comes off as a complete bastard.

Now that I think about it, that was 20 years ago, and 20 years before that, the best known TV dad was Archie Bunker

My girlfriend hadn't seen any Simpsons at all until last year. The first one she saw (happened to be on TV at the time) was that episode. I had to tell her after that Homer wasn't usually a bigoted character, in fact that was pretty out of character for him, usually he's just innocently overwhelmingly dumb instead of offensively.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Grimey Drawer
A line I always remember is in I Love Lucy, where Lucy and Ethel are discussing going somewhere. Lucy is in a rush and suggests they take the train, or maybe subway, and Ethel says aghast, "In my blue jeans?"

Even at the time (25 years ago on Nick-at-Nite?) I thought it was crazy to imagine a time when there was a dress code for public transportation.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Dragonstoned posted:

I just rewatched the first episode of Archer and when Archer first arrived at HQ there is a secretary that just disappeared never to be seen or heard from again.

I know it's common for that type of thing to happen especially with early episodes but it was was real "wait who the gently caress is that?" moment on the rewatch.

Also speaking of Archer the whole ISIS thing lol

I was rewatching season one Simpsons episodes and there are a bunch of characters like this. Mostly friends of Homer and Bart that disappeared from Springfield altogether. I'm fairly sure none show up as background characters or have a meta-joke reference in later seasons, either.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Grimey Drawer
A guy I know opened up a comic/games store in upstate NY. It quickly turned into a Pop Vinyl store, unofficially. It's wall to wall Pops, and every week he posts new releases on Facebook. It's crazy. He'll buy them out at places and resell them for a huge markup. I used to like the things when they first appeared, even (now regretfully) bought some for people. Now the only one I like is my Bob Ross one, but who can get upset about a Bob Ross anything?

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Grimey Drawer

WebDog posted:

Didn't Omar Epps' character have brain surgery and despite major cognitive issues kept on trucking like it wasn't a big deal a couple of episodes later?

I think I remember the surgery switching his left and right sides of what his brain processed on his own body, but a few episodes later they just handwaved it away with "Oh, it was just temporary, it wore off" but it's been a while.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Drunk Nerds posted:

I wrote an article for Cracked, back 10 years ago when it wasn't horrible poo poo, that looked at exactly this:
https://archive.li/y0iw0

Basically

- Roseanne's last season was off the rails stupid
- Flintstones brought in time traveling, wish granting alien
- Family Matters turned into Urkel's sci fi wackyporium
- Felicity, freaking felicity, turned from romcom teen show to time traveling witch poo poo
- Airwolf lost the rights to use the helicopter, so it pieced together shows with archived footage of the Airwolf

I was absolutely in the wrong demographic to watch Felicity as a 15 year old straight male when it came out, but I've always had confusing memories of it, like "Was it like Sabrina the Teenage Witch? Nah, it was just a teen drama, right?" I guess this is why. Also your article makes Felicity's premise sound a whole hell of a lot like Crazy Ex-Girlfriend, and that show didn't even exist when you wrote that article.