Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Hyrax Attack! posted:

We've been going through King of the Hill and overall one of my all time favorites, but there are some rough patches. In "Junkie Business" a drug addict is hired at Strickland Propane and Hank is unable to have him fired because of the Americans With Disabilities Act. The episode has funny moments, but it is painful to see the show treating the ADA as a terrible burden for a small business because of a strawman addict. Especially when all the Strickland employees begin faking ailments to not work.

A LOT of late King of the Hill has aged really poorly, because that's when Mike Judge started inserting his neocon crank politics front and center into it.

See also: The episode where hipsters convince Bobby and Joseph that panhandling instead of working is cool.

Basically, Mike forgot that the joke is meant to be Hank being old-fashioned and traditional to a fault, instead of him being the Last Sane Man.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Hyrax Attack! posted:

Oh man, I really hope Mike Judge isn't a far right neo-con. If he turns out to be the new Scott Adams I'm gonna be bummed for a month.

From what I have heard in interviews Mike Judge is conservative and libertarian, but level headed and doesn't use his work as an attack on perceived enemies. I don't think he is a neo-con, off the top of my head:

-On KOTH, the Army is frequently shown as incompetent, such as when Bill is easily able to steal a tank or how haircuts were costing them $800.
-George W. Bush is shown to have a limp handshake, and it is left ambigious whether Hank voted for him.
-Former Democrat Texas governor Ann Richards makes an appearance and comes across well. Jimmy Carter's appearance goofs on him but he comes across as a good person.

I do agree that the show does take some shots at liberal ideas, like the ADA in Junkie Business and those can be rough spots. Not that liberal ideas are right all the time, but KOTH can fall into strawmen. In Phish and Wildlife hippies invade a park and ruin the gang's vacation. The hippies are portrayed as lazy stereotypes, and Hank foils them by arranging to have park services turned off and telling them to get a job. But neither episode was written by Judge.

On that same note, one of the hippies later shows up working at an organic co-op grocery store. The hippies at the store are disorganized, but Hank learns their food is much better than what he buys at Megalomart. The show is also consistent fair about immigrants, Mexico, smoking being bad.

So overall I think Judge is conservative but level headed and not a spiteful man. Although to be fair to your point I haven't seen all of the later seasons so maybe it did get really bad.

He even gave an interview to Alex Jones.

Also Idiocracy is basically a movie advocating for the concept of eugenics.