Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Sunswipe posted:

Isn't it generally a problem with sitcoms that run long enough that characters end up focusing on one character trait to the exclusion of all else?

Someone please post that comic of what happens to sitcom characters the longer their show runs on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Wheat Loaf posted:

I believe there was one episode involving video games from the first half of SVU's run - either a Second Life type simulator or a JRPG - in which Ice T describes video games as "magical rape land".

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

There is something very wrong when a TV show does a trashy-oughties-remix of an Ennio Morricone classic.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

bobjr posted:

I remember one Hey Arnold episode where he sees a classmate in a bunny costume so the classmate puts him through a ton of horrible poo poo, only for Arnold to just not forgive the guy at all. Seemed super out of place for the show.

Even the animators hated this episode. Iggy never had a role in an episode again.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

The only thing that has aged in The Thick of It is when they had to write out a character who told Nonce jokes because his real-life actor went to prison for possession of CP. "I look like a disgraced Geography teacher."

Relevant:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K_FrQnQv0Vw

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Well she's not Juno, homeslice.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Who needs Moore when you have Araki and Urasawa?

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Meanwhile that loving alien in Star Trek kept showing up in the credits.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

What is the 00's equivalent of Ally McBeal,? In that it was big at the time, but when it ended it evaporated from memory as if it was never there?

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

The new Scrooge McDuck has a flip-phone while everyone else has smart-phones.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Detective No. 27 posted:

The first episode has a hard usage of "fags." It doesn't match the tone of the show at all. It just comes out of nowhere, kinda like it does in Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure. One of the characters is even Freddie Mercury, so you'd think they'd try not to be homophobic. Thankfully, it doesn't show up anywhere else to my knowledge.

The word "human being" is hilarious when it comes from the mouths of over-masculine teenage boys:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=paUk6o012Rk

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Honk was only grating at the start when he was the bumbling cop and Breaking Bad was a high-concept black-comedy, then he shot Tuco, got PTSD, and underwent real character-development. Saul was brought in to fill in his comic-relief spot.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

I was surprised on the first watch that Walt nearly commits marital rape in episode 8 and its never overtly mentioned again. Dude was bad from the start.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

The obvious:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6zcum6lPrRo

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

While season 8 of the Simpsons is certainly oddball it deserves to be called the end of the golden age. After that there are at least five points of no return: Homer getting raped by a panda, Maude getting killed by a T-shirt cannon, Skinner being an imposter, the jockeys are actually elves, and that alligator episode which had that one good gag with the whip guy.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Jojo isn't a character piece but it helps that the story reboots with a new Jojo and new premise every time the day is saved. The strip is 30 years old but it holds up better than the usual Shonen like Bleach and Naruto.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Police Squad's early end was a blessing to the showrunners because they felt they couldn't keep up such rapid-fire comedy on a weekly show.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

On the other hand you have Sherlock which only did three feature-length episodes every two years and very quickly turned to dross. Hbomberguy made the point that the show had too much money and that they splashed out on pointless effects like a Matrix camera-trick for a wedding scene.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

The villain being Japanese in Tintin is justified given the Japanese invasion of China in the early 30's. It helps that this point onwards Herge started doing the research which helped elevate Tintin from his origin as a crudely-drawn pro-Catholic pro-Belgian propaganda piece. The only real flubs down the line is stuff like the Incas not knowing about Eclipses.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

"I'm sure this decision won't haunt you forever."

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

The FFVII remake is almost certainly stuck in development-hell, but should it get made they won't be throwing the word 'Retard' around so flippantly .

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Ally McBeal is one of those shows that was big in it's day, but when it left the air it was if it never existed at all, like Timecop (The scheme in Timecop, not the public-reception of Timecop).

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Columbo is a good example for episodic TV. There is no real continuity, you don't see Columbo's wife, and you don't learn his first name because all of that stuff is completely irrelevant to the premise which is him foiling some rich prick's alibi. Look at Doctor Who. That show's technically episodic but more and more it went up it's own rear end with it's continuity. Everyone is connected, and everything is leading up to a big mystery, and poo poo you forgot about years ago is suddenly crucial.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wtPZ96oHH-4

The Netflix-mentality that a show can be one long glob can lead to creators not sweating when individual episodes end up weak since they believe only the long-term story matters more, and less the minute-to-minute stuff. Luke Cage got really sloppy as it had the title-character on the brink of death in three cliffhangers in a row.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

I saw that episode where Ren tortures a frog and concluded that nothing made by this John K was worth the time.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Fantasia holds up well if you remove every scene that doesn't have Chernabog in it.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Transformers: The Movie is full of robot-on-robot violence which alone isn't enough to merit a PG-13, so the creators just had a character say "poo poo" while off camera which conveniently justifies the rating while also being very easy to edit out. I don't think it's relevant to this thread, it's just funny (0:46)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VbgRyfdAFPg

Inspector Gesicht has a new favorite as of 00:59 on Jan 25, 2018

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Doesn't help that Hyde's actor is a real-life sex-offender.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Better the Witcher or Wheel of Time show, since no one really wants a rehash. The Wheel of Time show stands to be better than the Source since all the braid-tugging can't halt the narrative.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

The guy who runs the till at a comic shop I go to says Funkopops on the whole are on their way out, having been demoted to half a shelf, and I want this to be true.

I hate funkopops because they hedge their bets and make figures from every licence. Does anyone remember the game Evolve? Yes even that flop got funkopops. I hate these things for being ugly artless lumps of plastic made with a surface-level understanding of the licence. There's one of Morty Smith holding the seeds he has to put up his butt, which is weak since that was one scene in the pilot episode years ago.

I can appreciate a Vader T-shirt or a Beeping Triforce keychain because those can be used as normal objects

/derail

Inspector Gesicht has a new favorite as of 08:30 on Feb 10, 2018

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

That atrocious Simpsons episode won an emmy over the Futurama episode about Seymour Asses.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AK3PWHxoT_E

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Did you know that Return of the Jedi was a total flop? Which explains why they stopped making Star Wars movies.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Don Gato posted:

... putting putty on a white guy's face to make him look Japanese is definitely not something I ever expected to see outside of Breakfast at Tiffany's.

You Only Live Twice?

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

So why didn't the crew of Voyager not eat literal-poison instead of what that... man served?

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

The show finished in 1999, so none.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

The big barrier I have to reading old-timey Science-Fiction is that while a lot of books have a solid concept, they're usually burdened with the author's pet-issues namely coffee, drugs, smoking, and women who don't put out. The modern day equivalent is the gross sexual-stuff Neil Gaiman puts in his short stories at random.

The Demolished Man would make a great movie if you jettisoned 70% of the book. It has a cool premise: one man plots to murder another man and get away with it in a future where Telepaths are a new and growing class of society. The poo poo you can leave out is the hero-antagonist falling in love with a woman with the intellect of a child, and all the Freudian crap that grows larger and larger.

And for something that's held up well: Fred Rogers.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

I never watched Extra Credits because it's always struck me as a "Preaching from Pulpit"" thing, and now it turns out a lot of departures from the show were because the co-founder, Jame Portnow, is a harasser and Internet Nice Guy.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=0&threadid=3853977&perpage=40&pagenumber=129#pti27

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

What was that Aardman cartoon with an ape called Tony and a clown? I know it exists.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Strom Cuzewon posted:

^^^^^^^ Charlie Chalk
Not Aardman, but the character design is kind of in that direction.

No, it was a claymation short-film. There's a gorilla who becomes a celebrity, and the clown he pushes out of the limelight comes back with a shotgun and says "Right then, you're a carcass."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Two things in Batman Beyond: the X-treme aesthetic that instantly dates the show to the year 2000, and that blaring music that plays whenever Batman throws a punch.