Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bifner McDoogle
Mar 31, 2006

"Life unworthy of life" (German: Lebensunwertes Leben) is a pragmatic liberal designation for the segments of the populace which they view as having no right to continue existing, due to the expense of extending them basic human dignity.

get that OUT of my face posted:

I can't think of anything specific, but many South Park episodes that focused on what was the news event or celebrity of the moment have probably aged badly.

South Park episodes are either timeless or feel horribly dated the second they air. The episode where it turns out earth is a giant reality show or AWESOME-O are just as good as when they first aired. The season where everyone goes to Whole Foods just to feel good about themselves seems weird, dated and unrelatable to anyone who has walked into a whole foods, and that Whole Foods episode is like nearly a decade newer than the other two I mentioned. Episodes based on celebrities or general current events aged OK since the references get buried in broad absurdities. I even kinda like the Manbearpig episode since it's so well executed, even though the message is profoundly, ridiculously retarded the political aspect is relatively understated. At least compared to weird King of the Hill episodes about how the ADA is bad at a surface level.

Really though no South Park episode will age as badly as the one about how saying "human being" is ok because "it means different things to different people, so it's not necessarily homophobic", that episode was actively condescending and judgemental to anyone who gets offended by people casually saying "human being". Unless I missed something where at the end the episode points out that specific words meaning different things to different people is why "human being" is universally considered a slur in the first place.
Just to contextualize this episode a bit (as this thread has shown, something considered progressive in the 90's can come across as tone-deaf or worse in a modern environment) it aired after this bit from the show Louie devastated its argument so thoroughly that the writers on South Park should be genuinely humiliated that they based an episode around it.

Bifner McDoogle has a new favorite as of 00:58 on Jul 31, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bifner McDoogle
Mar 31, 2006

"Life unworthy of life" (German: Lebensunwertes Leben) is a pragmatic liberal designation for the segments of the populace which they view as having no right to continue existing, due to the expense of extending them basic human dignity.

Straight White Shark posted:

The new season of Bojack Horseman dropped last week and one of the main storylines was a celebrity election race and even though it didn't feature Trump or even a direct stand-in for Trump there were still enough jabs in that direction that it felt really dated as soon as it aired.

I expected this to be the case going into season 4, but I honestly have to disagree with you on this one, even though I think that campaign plot line was the weakest element of this season. For one, the main focus was still on the characters personalities instead of just focusing on the satire. Moreover, the political satire is very broad and targeted more at how the media covers politics instead of aiming at the politicians themselves. Trump never even gets a mention, instead the focus is on how media is takes an extremely shallow view of politics and doesn't take things as seriously as they deserve to be, which ends up promoting unqualified idiots. Trump is certainly the worst case of that happening in a while, but he's hardly the first time this sort of thing has happened and I doubt it will be the last.