Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

White Coke
May 29, 2015

Tasteful Dickpic posted:

Hoplophobes, and yes we do.

What I meant is that since a phobia is an irrational fear, being afraid of something that can kill you isn't irrational.

edit: update on previous page, for anyone who hasn't checked the thread since yesterday: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TeY2VlMsh-0

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carpator Diei
Feb 26, 2011

White Coke posted:

What I meant is that since a phobia is an irrational fear, being afraid of something that can kill you isn't irrational.

edit: update on previous page, for anyone who hasn't checked the thread since yesterday: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TeY2VlMsh-0

Falling from great heights can also kill you, and yet it is very possible to have an irrational fear of heights. Irrationality of fear is defined by the way in which you fear something, rather than by how objectively dangerous the object of fear is.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Do you want to see me stream the rest of the Souls games in one 12 hour shot? Well, good news, I'm doing a stream on saturday that is coincidentally going to be that long, for a reason that I can't show you! I'm going back to school next week and I've got a full register of classes for the fall semester, so unfortunately I'm gonna have a lot less time to work on LP stuff. So I figure before I go back down the hole of stress and homework and depression, I'll use my last bit of freedom to have some fun. Hopefully I'll see you there, I will be posting about it here and in the stream thread periodically throughout the day!

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
The 12 hour Dark Souls series marathon is live! Can I beat all three games in 12 hours?? Will I die a thousand deaths and give up in frustration?? The answer to both is probably no! Come hang out with me all day!

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Night is falling on Yharnam, and now we've got a couple tough choices to make regarding how we want to make sure its citizens are safe. Neglecting our own safety in the process is the most important part!

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎
Alfred would definitely be a sunbro in some sort of alternate universe. And watching The Goodies teaches you that you don't need the mustache to pull off friendly muttonchops.

Azure Dreamer
Oct 14, 2012

wearing sunglasses makes me a cool kid
continuing the theme of things i completely failed to notice in my own playthrough, i was completely and utterly unaware that you could also send people to iosefka's. i'd ask if there's a meaningful difference between the two besides where you go to talk to npcs, but i figure you'll show that off eventually.

there's a lever right by where that big guy comes out that leads to where you find the monocular that closes a gate. which is nice because i'm p. sure once you've explored that area there is no reason to ever come back and closing the gate prevents the big guy from showing up again! it clears out the area a lil' bit.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Huh, I didn't know pulling that lever keeps the big guy out on future respawns, though you can crush him with the gate to kill him instantly which I found pretty funny. Neat.

edit: And yeah, there is a more than superficial difference in where we can send people. We'll see once we bother sending someone to the clinic which, in hindsight, probably would've been a good choice for the young girl because she's pretty nearby compared to the chapel. Oh well.

bman in 2288
Apr 21, 2010
Is it more humane to crush a monster, it to shoot it to death?

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Well, as we learned a couple videos ago from the Cleric Beast, shooting something in Bloodborne just makes it angrier at you so I'd have to say crushing because at least that's quicker.

Azure Dreamer
Oct 14, 2012

honestly i just happened to notice that he starts out on the other side of the gate so i just like closed it and it stayed closed with him behind it! of course i could be misremembering i have the memory of a drunk goldfish. i would have to go test that out to be certain, but i'm pretty sure on this one.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

I have the humour on the level of the Swedish chef from The Muppets so every time I heard Bygenwerth I couldn't help but hear it repeated in my head in exactly the same "accent" and it ruined all the atmosphere every time.

Kibayasu fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Aug 27, 2017

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Hergen byrgen wyrthen bork bork bork

Azure Dreamer posted:

honestly i just happened to notice that he starts out on the other side of the gate so i just like closed it and it stayed closed with him behind it! of course i could be misremembering i have the memory of a drunk goldfish. i would have to go test that out to be certain, but i'm pretty sure on this one.

The guy is scripted to only start walking up the stairs when you approach, so it would make sense!

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Now I can share my favorite piece of Bloodborne fanart!

The Chapel Dweller is a solid bro. Just cause you look like a melted candlewax person, and your laugh sounds evil, doesn't mean you're necessarily a bad man.

bman in 2288
Apr 21, 2010

Tasteful Dickpic posted:

and your laugh sounds evil, doesn't mean you're necessarily a bad man.

You mean there's hope for me yet?

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

I don't know, does your laugh sound like HA HA HA, HEH HEH, or KEH KEH KEH?

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Tasteful Dickpic posted:

The Chapel Dweller is a solid bro. Just cause you look like a melted candlewax person, and your laugh sounds evil, doesn't mean you're necessarily a bad man.

Yeah, if we're having any kind of vote on where to send people, I vote the Chapel. Because this is a Soulslike game, and hospitals run by sincerely good people doesn't sound like a safe haven in those kinds of games :tinfoil:

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Agreed. Plus, Iosefka suddenly turning around on us from "Go away" to "Please come inside" seems suspish to me.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Zetsubou-san posted:

Alfred would definitely be a sunbro in some sort of alternate universe. And watching The Goodies teaches you that you don't need the mustache to pull off friendly muttonchops.

I have to wonder how devastating ecky thump would be on a werewolf.

Or would the blood sausage just make them stronger :thunk:

bman in 2288
Apr 21, 2010

Tasteful Dickpic posted:

I don't know, does your laugh sound like HA HA HA, HEH HEH, or KEH KEH KEH?

I'm told it sounds like an evil scientist's laugh.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

bman in 2288 posted:

I'm told it sounds like an evil scientist's laugh.

That should be fine.

Do you often stand at the top of high cliffs with your arms folded? Does your voice sound like you gargle nails?

bman in 2288
Apr 21, 2010

Tasteful Dickpic posted:

That should be fine.

Do you often stand at the top of high cliffs with your arms folded? Does your voice sound like you gargle nails?

No (I hate heights), and I don't think so.

Sometimes I do the arm fold thing.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

How do you feel about firekeepers?

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LW7ZjgYsoYg

After dozens of playthroughs I finally managed to do this today and well that has to be embarrassing for him

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

You killed him so hard you interrupted his dialogue!

Weeble
Feb 26, 2016
I once managed to kill him before he even extended his axe.

The magic of having two buddies, and all of you are using the Whirligig Saw and holding L2.

Some fire paper here and there.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Gorilla Salad posted:

Bloodborne but instead of transfusions Yharnam made black puddings

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

CJacobs posted:

After dozens of playthroughs I finally managed to do this today and well that has to be embarrassing for him

Now that's just embarrassing. How'd you let me do that to you?

Azure Dreamer
Oct 14, 2012

i can't believe you murdered that innocent old man in cold blood.

LashLightning
Feb 20, 2010

You know you didn't have to go post that, right?
But it's fine, I guess...

You just keep being you!

Gorilla Salad posted:

Surely a blood sausage is a regular sausage strengthened with bloodstones, right?

Sum Gai
Mar 23, 2013

CJacobs posted:

Wait, you can backstab Gascoigne? Holy poo poo.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Try to set the night on fire.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

selling fashion?

you are dead to me now.

Azure Dreamer
Oct 14, 2012

i mean like yeah you could hoard a bunch of clothes and stabbing implements you will literally never use ever. or you could sell it and use the souls for things that will be useful for this particular playthrough. speaking of useful, the kirkhammer is real drat good. it synergises well with my preferred playstyle in video games of "murder everything as fast as possible before it kills you." it's very smashy, while still having the option of being quick - and honestly even when it's not a hammer it's still real drat strong.

continuing the theme of "things i had no idea were in the game" is i had no idea that those dudes hated the torch. i basically never bothered using it because i didn't wanna sacrifice gun access.

old yarnham is realllll drat good the first time you come to it. spoilers; the second the clocktower hunter dude started shooting at me i got stunlocked and died. it was so perfect i thought it was scripted. i had real problems dealing with him once you actually get to him, tho, which kinda makes the area a slog until you figure out a way to kill him - i ended up just stunlocking him with the gun and knocking him off the clocktower to his death. which is a nicer death than he deserves. because he's a dick.

Antistar01
Oct 20, 2013
I don't have a problem with selling unique items in Souls games that you're never going to use... theoretically. In reality I don't think I've ever actually done it - I mean I hardly even use soul items most of the time. I really only use them if I'm just shy of having enough to get another level, or a weapon upgrade or something. I seem to finish the Dark Souls games with dozens of soul items in my inventory.

I don't know how I'd go with Bloodborne specifically (release it on PC Sony you bastards :argh:), but it seems like you could sell unique items... but probably don't really need to.

bman in 2288
Apr 21, 2010
Sell the unwanted things. Don't be a hoarder.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Oops, I left in the sounds of my keyboard looking up the description of the antidote because I forgot to bring it up before recording my commentary. I'm not perfect, oh no!

Azure Dreamer posted:

old yarnham is realllll drat good the first time you come to it. spoilers; the second the clocktower hunter dude started shooting at me i got stunlocked and died. it was so perfect i thought it was scripted. i had real problems dealing with him once you actually get to him, tho, which kinda makes the area a slog until you figure out a way to kill him - i ended up just stunlocking him with the gun and knocking him off the clocktower to his death. which is a nicer death than he deserves. because he's a dick.

I really like the atmosphere of Old Yharnam, like I said in the video it seems like a completely miserable place just by its layout and general construction. And that's not even counting the piles of burning bodies! It's subtle, but I like that you can tell that it's been abandoned for a very long time just by how the buildings we ran through in this episode are all crumbling to pieces and sinking into the river below.

bman in 2288 posted:

Sell the unwanted things. Don't be a hoarder.

That's the ticket!! Selling stuff in Bloodborne can be quite lucrative because certain pieces of equipment go for a hell of a lot- especially truly unique ones, unlike weapons and most clothes which can be re-purchased.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Are you playing offline? I'm not noticing an awful amount of messages and bloodstains.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I am! Playing offline reduces load times a little and I didn't want the bloodstain/message popups to be flashing onscreen every 30 seconds whenever I walked over one. Invasions aren't much of a thing in Bloodborne so that's not really something to worry about, but I'll have stuff to say about the online mode a bit later.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

hosed up that I can't invade you and have an honorable duel with you live on the LP.