Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

I do appreciate the bonus features, CJacobs.

I do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

Tollymain posted:

its my opinion that the entire thing is simply a dream in the head of the newborn god Miyazaki

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

CommissarMega posted:

What's still unclear to me is if Yharnam is actually a physical place, a really vivid waking dream, or a dream in the Lovecraftian sense (it's totally real, you just can't access it unless you're asleep or the like).

it's a video game. Therefore none of it is real. Therefore all of it can be equally real!

edit: Wait tone doesn't transfer on the internet. I'm saying that because it is a work of fiction it may be a fools errand to establish certain facts as "real" and others as "dream". If you embrace all as canon and lean into and enjoy any possible dichotomies that may create you've enjoyed a truly valid way of evaluating the fiction.

Jonny Nox fucked around with this message at 15:30 on Sep 19, 2018

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

CJacobs posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XF3xCifQ290

It's one of my favorite Silent Hill songs!

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

I literally just put the words Kosm and Cosmos together.

gently caress.

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

Strange Matter posted:

Examining Mensis in the context of the other factions is interesting because it shows that there are basically three potential routes to transcendence in Bloodborne:

-Insight, which was Byrgenwerth's route. They figured that with enough study, practice and meditation a person could elevate their thoughts to divine level and therefore become divine themselves. The flaw is that the human mind lacks the bandwidth to handle the insight needed for this to work. It results in Willem being a drooling moron and Rom, their one success story, who is surely described as "vacuous" for a reason. In focusing so fully on insight, Byrgenwerth failed to see the role of:

-Blood, which is the Church's route. They figured that if you just shot yourself up with enough of the good stuff you'd evolve basically on your own. And they were pretty much right. The inferior product gives you beasts, but eventually they were able to refine their procedure enough to create the Celestial Emissary. Out of everyone they seem to have succeeded the most, but at the cost of the greatest collateral damage. Byrgenwerth and Mensis were disasters, of course, but it's the Church that reduced Yarnham to this state. Speaking of Mensis, their method was the most direct.

-Contact. Basically knocking on the Great One's front door and asking to come in. They somehow discovered the existence of Mergo's realm and using their rituals bridged their minds into it. This worked surprisingly well, but for the fact that they lacked adequate insight or physical transformation, and they were destroyed instantly, Ark of the Covenant style.

So, Monastics, Papists, and Anabaptists

Got it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

A few times during the year I was more excited that CJacobs was healthy enough to post a video than for the content itself, if that makes sense.