Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Captain Foo)
How do you feel about Archnemesis mods on rares?
Incredibly fun, I love them!
They're alright
Needs more work
Almost as much fun as shoving a red hot nail under my fingernail
Other (post below)
View Results

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Good job on the thread!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

queeb posted:

from old thread

2h or facebreaker for grandpa totems? 2h has the constant upgrading a weapon but has more gem slots plus a disfavor eventually. But facebreaker has a shield and no need for a weapon.

Either is fine and you can fairly easily respec from one to the other based on the gear you have available.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

botany posted:

Are there any fun "hands off the keyboard" pet builds? I usually play summoner builds in games like these and I don't want to click too much.

Golem or Spectre build is what you're looking for I think

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

eonwe posted:

I havent played this in forever

should I just wait for the 4th to start again

There's no downside of playing a bit the final few days of 2.6, but waiting for 3.0 is entirely fine too

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

pokchu posted:

[Ask] Me About Lacerate/Dominating Blow/Elemental Hit/Arc all being good and Very Viable Forever

I'm gonna need you to show your workings on this one, son

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Vasudus posted:

What weapons do dudes run with for their main hand if you're doing Sunder? Or do you just get the DW nodes and use whatever.

Axes, generally.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

KoldPT posted:

I wanna roll with a totem guy this season. My friends told me to level with Fire Totem and then switch to something else - what's the most fun? Warchief?

There's a ton of viable options if you include spell totem or ranged attack totem. You basically have to look up some builds/videos and see what you think looks fun

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

queeb posted:

drat that build mathil just posted is a BV pure ele inquisitor and it has like 1 mill DPS on basic gear

Did you actually look at it? That amulet alone is more expensvie than most goons own in a full league. He's also using a 6linked incandenscent heart, and it's all 20/20 gems with elemental focus + atziri's promise + taste of hate + diamond active.

E: This is basically "Mathil goes full tooltip warrior"

TheRat fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Jul 31, 2017

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Eminai posted:

Is getting to uber izaro in the mid 70s actually viable for a league starter? So far the only time I got all six trials done was in legacy league, after getting two characters past level 80.

Unless you put in quite a bit of effort hunting trials from other goons/public channels you wont have all the uber trials by then. To give you a (basically worst case) example, in 2.6 I got my final uber trial at lvl95.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Unlucky7 posted:

Should I take any elemental resist nodes that I can get at in the passive tree, or could that be covered by equipment?

Yes, and yes. Take them if you need them and remove them when you no longer need them.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

MMF Freeway posted:

I'm only basing this off the vid, but he also doesn't have any rings equipped, only 1 of 3 jewels in and no diamond up. Granted he only goes to 1.5 mil with conc and ele focus, with the clearing setup he was at like 880k.

Check the config tab. "Crit strikes are lucky" is enabled. Rings dont give him damage, they will have to cover life and resists. Yes he's only using one jewel, but that jewel is a godly 4prop damage jewel. Also, he will loving explode to elemental damage because of incandescent heart.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

RoboJoe posted:

I've not played this game before but I was talking to a couple of friends about it a few days ago, who explained some things and showed me some videos, and it looks a lot of fun to play. I was told I should wait to start playing until this week when the new patch comes out though, so I'll do that.

One thing I'm not too clear on is how character builds work, because I saw the passive skill tree and that looks very confusing to me, however I do know that skills for abilities you attack with, etc, are gems you slot into your equipment though, unless I'm mistaken?

For example, I generally like 3 types of playstyles:
1) Hitting things really hard with a giant weapon, or dual-wielding, or with a sword and shield (especially if the shield has attacks that let me hit things with the shield).
2) Summoning lots of minions like skelllingtons or zombies or demons or whatever to flood the area and kill things for me.
3) Running around and casting a bunch of damage over time effects onto enemies.

So, if I wanted to do something like these builds, firstly would it be easy to do one of these when I'm just starting the game (especially minions)? How would I actually build a character in one of these ways with the passive and the way the gem system works? How would I get the skill gems needed to try to doing any of this?

Sorry for these dumb questions, I did try reading the OP but even that was overwhelming and somewhat confusing for me and I didn't see anything really basic like this.

All 3 of those playstyles should be fairly easy to do in 3.0 without any experience. I would suggest you find a guide you like and follow it though, as chances of making a decent character yourself on first try are slim to none. As for how long, the basics can be done within the first 5-10 levels or so, but you would need to invest a lot more time and effort to create a really powerful character. The skills gems are available from quests rewards and vendors, or as random drops from monsters. You can also trade them with other players.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

https://clips.twitch.tv/SullenInquisitiveNigiriTF2John

*In server admin voice* "There will be death. Server death."

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

whypick1 posted:

Wrong thread duder

What thread should I post a clip about path of exile in then?

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Unlucky7 posted:

Speaking of respect points: Can a node in the middle of a path be removed, or can nodes at the ends of paths can only be removed?

You cannot break a path, it must always be connected. The only exceptions are shenanigans with Scion ascendancy and the jewel Intuitive Leap.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

What happens when you let an algorithm write the 3.0.0 patch notes

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

I literally says in the post above that real patchnotes will probably be out tomorrow

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

TheOneAndOnlyT posted:

Oh yeah, can a cool goon invite RighteousNoPantsLegacy to the guild? May as well get myself back in there now before the flood of players 3.0 is likely to bring.

done

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

stanislaus posted:

Would also appreciate a ginvite to dockam if there's still room, thanks

sent

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Didnt he also say that all threshold jewels are still available as quest rewards?

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Harangutan posted:

I got purged.

Can I get an invite for Harold_of_Thundarr?

done

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

frajaq posted:

So how do guilds work in this game? Is it like WoW where you have to get each character you have invited in or is it like GW2 where it's just linked to your main account

Guild is account-wide

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Meyers-Briggs Testicle posted:

i need an invite for AnimeWeedGoku

Character does not exist

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

moush posted:

Need an invite to the guild, IGN: moush

twitch and spasm posted:

Can I get a invite to the guild for VirtualSalesman?

frajaq posted:

That's cool!

Can I get an invite for Zvengal ?

sent

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

No Friend of Gravity posted:

Can I get a guild invite for Noffagrav please?

Flavahbeast posted:

Could I get an invite for Flavahbeast (thats me)

sent

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Tulip posted:

So I'm trying to get some new players into this with 3,0; what are some common newbie pitfalls to be ready for, from a teaching standpoint?

Get more life

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

BigBadTeaBag posted:

Can I get an invite for BigBadMeatBalls?

sent

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

So I guess we found a competitor for Skyforth for the title of "most overpowered boots in the game"

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

lurksion posted:

It's increased not more, so not OP I think.

Thats not really the op part of the boots. They're batshit insane for Cospri's Discharge.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Kild posted:

10% more damage taken would make it do 6.6% damage.

10% more damage taken would make it do 6%. It's hp removal, not damage.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Kild posted:

listne here.. I was just just trying to correct his assumption it was just +10%.

And I was correcting yours :-)

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

queeb posted:

wheres the fuckin patch notes

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Silhouette Wires posted:

Hey can I get a guild invite for EnterMyBlackhole? Thankyou!

Sent

cinci zoo sniper posted:

Yeah, on paper to me this looks a bit too much of a nerf, which is what surprised me. Going to see it through in game though before making any judgements.

I think it's too small of a nerf. Unless the game gets massively harder at endgame there's still no reason to run guardian support. They should have kept the values as they were and made it minions only.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

gonadic io posted:

Wasn't this build already really good?

It's significantly worse now.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

gonadic io posted:

What caused that? My understanding was that it usually used Molten Strike and so doesn't care about the DoT changes. The WED gem got nerfed a little, but I can't see how that would be too significant.

I dont remember the exact changs, but Kild was very unhappy about his build so maybe he can fill in.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Yeah but they nearly doubled it to compensate.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

redneck nazgul posted:

Blight damage buffed

Blight didnt really need a damage buff though, it needed an aoe buff. The aoe is just too small for it to feel good endgame, sadly.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Cerepol posted:

Hi, if there is room stil I'd like a reinvite to the guild

https://www.pathofexile.com/account/view-profile/Cerepol
HowaBoutSomeChaos is one of my characters. Thanks!

sent

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

The March Hare posted:

Exactly how bad of an idea is going KB wander for a league starter? Is it early map playable with a sort of lovely wand or do you absolutely have to spend 50ex on your wand for the build to be playable?

I did KB wander as a starter in 2.6. It's loving horrible until you're like lvl70-80 and have a decent wand. Do yourself a favour and use a bow early on and respec to wands once you're ready. It's not a very big respec.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

euphronius posted:

Hamilton for example could not be president because he was the child of north manhatten Puerto ricans

Whats happening