Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Captain Foo)
How do you feel about Archnemesis mods on rares?
Incredibly fun, I love them!
They're alright
Needs more work
Almost as much fun as shoving a red hot nail under my fingernail
Other (post below)
View Results

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

I'd like to see if this game is for me but I had a couple basic questions that I couldn't figure out from lurking the thread -

I've seen people recommend playing with specific builds that require specific items, which are just purchased from other players. What are you playing for up to that point? Are you just going through the game until you can earn enough currency? What's your goal after you buy the items you need?

I've loved all the Diablo games but finding cool items and changing my playstyle around them was always the most fun, even if that wasn't always optimal in the first two games. Just buying the one item you need and forgetting about everything else kind of seems to take the fun out of that. I get bored of Diablo 3 seasons once I've earned my set and I'm left trying to find incremental upgrades to the exact same items.

Tiny Timbs fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Jan 21, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Thanks, all. Seems like I had a couple misconceptions. Is the found-items-only league fun?

dyzzy posted:

Once you get your build enablers you pretty much have just started to scratch the surface in this game. There is always a better item for each slot and unlike d3 the majority of your items should be rares.

Ah, I was thinking that the build enablers were what you stuck with the entire time, not just the beginning. That sounds a lot better to me.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Should I be looking to trade for items while I'm leveling? I'm following this build: https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1839087 and it seems to be going pretty well so far with just drops. The guide only mentions using one skill, too, so I assume that means I can just use whatever else I want.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

What’s limiting how I place memory things in the map? It seems arbitrary

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Switch when

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Pararoid posted:

It is kinda sad that Legion is a lot less interesting than Synthesis while leveling, but hopefully the endgame battles are cool.

Synthesis was my first attempt at seriously getting into the game and it's nice to have something that doesn't feel like literal work

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

So I've twice run into the bug where Helena never shows up in the hideout so you can't actually unlock it. The internet says to talk to her in town but they're full of poo poo because that doesn't do anything. What's the real fix????

She's in the town so it's not that I didn't already rescue her.

Tiny Timbs fucked around with this message at 04:54 on Jun 11, 2019

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Ok so I somehow fixed it after running through the Chamber of Sin Level 2 again and then using the /hideout command when I got back to town

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Control Volume posted:

Invite her to the hideout

There was no option to.

McFrugal posted:

Wait, are you trying to unlock the first hideout again? Hideouts are account-wide now. Every new league you can go to your hideout immediately.

I had unlocked it in a previous character, yeah. Every time I tried to go to the hideout in this league I got a "You can't do that from here" error. I also could not complete the quest.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Is this why the devs ban any mention of tools that disable the graphical effects for potato PCs

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

How do you guys organize your skill gems? Or do you just sell all the fuckers and enjoy the sense of freedom?

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

BobbyK posted:

If you just don't engage with duck and cover he leaves after dropping his one moronic post

His post was alright but the dude raging at him seems like a weirdo

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Is it true that two PoE accounts can't be merged together? I saw a lot of people asking this question and the response was always "Yes, you need to send an email to support." I did, and they just responded saying they can't do it.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Aye Doc posted:

path of exile support are definitely going to have the more final answer on that one than the something awful forums

https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/3293149 here's another help thread where the answer is no

I think when I found people talking about merging dedicated POE accounts with Steam accounts they were just talking about linking them, but I was confused because you can do that through the account page and don't need to ask support. Oh well, only thing I'll lose by abandoning one account is the Early Access bonus I got in 2012 :(

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

euphronius posted:

Do you like survivability, proliferation, 10 million+ single target 100% uptime dot dps, plus nice clear, that doesn’t require many uniques (maybe one which is a trash drop), a weapon that has easily farmable cards, that can be invested in for a long time ? And is perfect for the league content ?

Can someone link a build guide for this? I’ve barely played the game before this league so I’ve been getting my feet wet with the Arc Witch build and it’s kinda eh

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

whypick1 posted:

Elementalist if you don't want to go through the campaign again for a Champion

Sweet thank you

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

What's the best way to get Orbs of Regret? I'm at Act 8 and I have... 5. I'd need around 70 to do a respec. Apparently they go for 1 Chaos each on PoE Trade and I ain't got that kind of cash.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Nothingtoseehere posted:

What are you trying to respec from and to? Often you need less tree changes than you think. And often it can be done in stages, especially in acts.

Enki Arc Witch to EA Totem Elementalist. 70 isn't a real number but looking at the trees there's maybe 20 shared points before the rest goes on the opposite side of the tree.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Question about the EA Totem build: should I be keeping an eye on the number of totems I have or should I just be casting EA as long as I have mana?

Tiny Timbs fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Jan 1, 2023

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Arivia posted:

there's a maximum number of totems you can have up at any time. i think it starts at like 3, and then some notables/uniques increase it. once you've hit that cap you're not adding more dps by casting it again. it's displayed under the skill on your character screen.

however, you've likely taken a totem mastery choice that has totems taunt when summoned, so it's sometimes useful to keep placing totems to keep poo poo off you. (i imagine this is relevant more for the elementalist build than the champ version)

I feel kind of dumb for asking since I noticed you can only have 3 out at once and they do last a while. At least I got an interesting pro tip out of it. Thanks!

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Is there an in-game way to see what a gem's requirements will be for the next level? I accidentally leveled myself out of my build and I really don't want to have to keep checking a wiki for each gem.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Ooh thanks, I didn't know that one

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

whypick1 posted:

To save everyone else the trouble of looking:

That's quite the take alright.

This dude is cool, he was in Ukraine threads earlier last year doing a genocide denial/dead kids are crisis actors bit

Go figure it's some dumb AI post that does him in

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

How are you supposed to deal with the archer guys anyway? I'm running a totem build and the guard just keeps running out of range until I get in close and reposition them, likely taking a hit in the process.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Yeah but it doesn't seem to be doing the trick. Maybe level geometry is getting in the way.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

If I don't like literally any of the league mechanics that made it into the base game can I do well sticking with mapping?

Like, I don't want to do or think about any of this poo poo. I guess the beast hunting one is ok because I don't have to leave the map and it's basically just a weird crafting bench.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Ooh that's kind of what I got started doing already. Good to know that's a fair long-term plan

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

I think those are all fine. I guess I just got really mad at this dumb tower defense thing that popped up.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

I’m still learning the game so I got excited at the idea of a league where I could just press a button to kill monsters but the difficulty and absence of loot just makes this yet another league mechanic I’m going to ignore. Kind of silly when even a simple one is half baked.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

How do I get "trigger a socketed spell when you use a skill, with an 8 second cooldown" on a weapon? This build guide says to grab a weapon with one but the option doesn't even come up on the PoE trade site.

https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/3002453

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Ah I got it to show up, thanks. I had the filters set up to be too restrictive.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Is there a handy guide to "So now you've made it to maps" that covers things like farming gear upgrades, beginners' crafting, and generally what kind of things you're supposed to be doing to improve your character after the campaign? I've seen build guides touch on it but I am like, completely absolutely stupid about this game even after 90 hours and need my hand held.

No 6-hour-long YouTube videos please (I am not kidding about seeing this)

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Arivia posted:

Max roll has a guide for atlas progression: https://maxroll.gg/poe/getting-started/atlas-explained

Depending upon your build, there might be some information about how to work on gear upgrades. What are you playing?

I started this league aiming for Holy Flicker Strike Necro but found that spamming SRS is more my speed so I respecced to SRS Bomber (https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2995833) at level 72.

I'm sure I'm leaving equipment upgrades on the ground because I have no clue what I should be picking up to craft on.

I'll read that guide, thanks.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

So what's up with stash tabs not actually holding all the bits relevant to that tab? Like I paid for a Maps tab and it won't store scouting reports, scarabs, etc. Is there another tab I need to get?

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

totalnewbie posted:

Right click the tab at top and check the "affinity" section

Oh but uhh, map tab only holds maps.

Scouting reports don't have a special tab but you can use the bottom rows on the currency tab but there's no affinity.

Scarabs go in fragment tab.

Thanks. That's a fine spot for the reports; just wish they went there automatically.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Do Ritual events hold up long-term? I really enjoy the mechanic of simply killing monsters and then picking out nice loot.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

I just found an Enlighten Support gem that apparently goes for 1.5 div. How do I collect on 1.5 div? Do I accept 1 div and 91 chaos based on the exchange rate in poe.ninja?

I want a helmet that currently goes for 2 div and I have 1 div already (a campaign drop lol).

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Ok that was a quick sale

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Does Raise Spectre not work with corpse targeting? I keep highlighting the monster I need and then watching as the monsters next to it get raised.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

whypick1 posted:

Do you have Spell Echo linked?

Doh, yes that's it