Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Captain Foo)
How do you feel about Archnemesis mods on rares?
Incredibly fun, I love them!
They're alright
Needs more work
Almost as much fun as shoving a red hot nail under my fingernail
Other (post below)
View Results

zxqv8
Oct 21, 2010

Did somebody call about a Ravager problem?
I'm just slightly a fan of this game.

5200 hours is light play, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zxqv8
Oct 21, 2010

whypick1 posted:

And you're just now starting to get the hang of it too! :haw:

<------ North of 2000 and still haven't :negative:

You do not lie, sir. It was only recently I admitted to myself that maybe I've gotten pretty okay at the game.

zxqv8
Oct 21, 2010

Any things that didn't exist in your old filter will show, you just don't get any fancy colors or sounds for them.

zxqv8
Oct 21, 2010

https://imgur.com/r/pathofexile/S9HKA

Looks like what I'd have expected, I guess we'll see it in action soon

zxqv8
Oct 21, 2010

Someone suggested descriptions of the ascendancy classes and I thought I'd take a crack at it. There are about a hundred caveats to each description, but I think as long as it's stressed that build variation is nearly infinite so these aren't proscribed roles it should be enough to deliver the basic ideas of each one.

e: updated after people added stuff

Witch

Occultist - Focuses on dealing chaos damage and curse potency. Also makes energy shield a much more potent defense. +1 Power Charge and +1 Curse available.

Elementalist - Focuses on dealing elemental damage, creating and spreading ailments. Helps mitigate elemental damage reflection. +1 Golem available.

Necromancer - Focuses on minion boosts, but also allows minion buffs (offerings) to apply to the player. Very potent group support options available.

Shadow

Assassin - Focuses on critical strikes and critical damage, as well as delivering poison and doing more damage with it. +1 Power Charge available.

Trickster - Focuses on damage over time of any flavor, granting bonuses for kills with it. Relies on evasion and energy shield defenses. +1 Frenzy Charge and Power Charge available (together!).

Saboteur - Focuses on being sad while making traps and mines very much more effective. General lack of solid defensive options.

Ranger

Deadeye - Focuses on making projectiles (mostly from attacks, not spells) do fancy things like chain and return and apply extra damage. +1 Projectile available.

Raider - Focuses mostly on attack based builds, providing frenzy charge generation and phasing/dodge-based defenses. Lots of movement speed. +1 Frenzy Charge available.

Pathfinder - Focuses on making flasks even more stupidly powerful, providing ailment/bleed immunity and poison delivery.

Duelist

Champion - Focuses on damage mitigation via fortify and being a tank in general, with taunts and minor group support. Permanent Fortify available.

Gladiator - Focuses on blocking attacks and spells and/or making everything bleed to death and possibly explode.

Slayer - Focuses on being badass and cutting things in half with two-handed weapons while leeching their life to sustain their rampages. Slayer Culling Strike™ available.

Marauder

Juggernaut - Focuses on being more of a tank than Champion, but without the group benefits. +1 Endurance Charge Available.

Chieftain - Focuses on fire damage delivered via spell/attack totems, granting combat/defensive bonuses and life leech through them to the player. Ignite immunity available.

Berserker - Focuses on dealing/taking lots and lots of damage and leeching lots and lots of life to survive. 40% Damage multiplier available.

Templar

Inquisitor - Focuses on ignoring resistances to deal obscene amounts of elemental damage, often via melee attacks. Great for spellcasters too. Consecrated ground available.

Hierophant - Focuses on making elemental totems more potent and allows more of them to be summoned. Also offers notable Mind over Matter boosts. +3 Psuedo-Five-Links available.

Guardian - Focuses on providing extra defenses to the player and party members/allies. Multiple support auras available.

Scion

Ascendant - Focuses on nothing except maybe giving extra passive points and tree flexibility. Can take up to two mini-ascendancy nodes that take some flavor from one of the other major ascendancy classes. A little bit of everything, not enough of anything available.

zxqv8 fucked around with this message at 01:32 on Aug 1, 2017

zxqv8
Oct 21, 2010

J posted:

These are a lot better than the low effort poo poo I had slapped in there earlier today, added them. Thanks!

I updated a few just a few minutes ago to make sure I'm not totally wrong about stuff after people pointed out some stuff I was wrong about.

zxqv8
Oct 21, 2010

Poison brainwave:

volkuur's guidance on voltaxic with call of the brotherhood.

60% of lightning to chaos, 40% to cold, both being able to apply poison.

100% lightning damage able to poison, right?

Lightning tendrils really needs to be a channeled skill. Maybe storm burst would work like that.

zxqv8
Oct 21, 2010

Huge as this launch is likely to be, I wouldn't be surprised to see a short queue at the start.

It's rarely been more than a few minutes wait, even at the worst.

zxqv8
Oct 21, 2010

So...dark pact without skeletons.

Chaos Ice Nova that steals your life?

Sure looks that way. Maybe it's more interesting when played off skeletons.

zxqv8
Oct 21, 2010

As long as the required stat exists within the radius, it's active. Doesn't need to be allocated anymore.

zxqv8
Oct 21, 2010

Just as well, considering the standard tactic was to just ignore a lab until you could steamroll it anyway.

zxqv8
Oct 21, 2010

I think even they may have had their immunites removed, but they have so much life that your freeze duration is going to be negligible unless you're somehow rocking millions of DPS on your freeze pulser.

zxqv8
Oct 21, 2010

Storm Burst looks like a mostly satisfying lightning hose that's ultimately way better than tendrils (give it a loving channeled tag already, GGG).

Charged Dash really seems like it should be a spell, but looks like a lot of fun.

Dark Pact, I maintain, looks like it plays like Chaos ice nova that steals your life and does more damage if you don't use skeletons.

zxqv8
Oct 21, 2010

Wait, there's a difference?

:q:

zxqv8
Oct 21, 2010

If you ever want to heavy strike, I'd recommend CRABHAMMER. Once you can equip it, of course.

Your dps goes up if you don't have to keep chasing after poo poo because you knocked it back so much.

zxqv8
Oct 21, 2010

Spells are generally a lot less gear dependent than bow builds, so firestorm is probably the easier start from scratch.

Of course, there are extremely cheap leveling bows available and a death's harp can take you through most of the story (if not all) once you can equip it.

zxqv8
Oct 21, 2010

Char posted:

So, umm, I guess I need to rebuild my ranger from zero. I spent 30 passive points on damage. Every single one. I guess I should cut my losses as soon as possible.
Also, how come you're saying it takes 5-10 hours to get to 70, I got to 28 in 11 hours! What am I doing wrong?

You can start investing in defenses now and salvage whatever you have. You DO want to get a fair bit of damage from your tree, but if you totally neglect defensive nodes you're just going to be pasted in later acts.

The long leveling thing is because the exp curve is logarithmic (or something mathy I might have hosed up) and in reality, level 95 is halfway to 100 or thereabouts. You have to earn about 4.5billion experience to reach level 100, for reference. I think about a billion of that is just the last two levels?

I might be* getting the numbers wrong, but it's an ever steepening curve, and that's why it can take a while compared to early levels.

*definitely am

zxqv8
Oct 21, 2010

Alternatively, keep something like a devouring or rejuvenation totem gem on hand and slot that in somewhere so you can quickly summon totems that don't do any damage, thereby avoiding the problem of them insisting that poo poo has to die even when you run away. Doesn't even need to be leveled, just there to remove the damaging totems after you achieve whatever goal you're going for.

Or just ignore vorici's shittier missions and keep progressing. There'll be plenty of time to level him later.

zxqv8
Oct 21, 2010

Yeah, you generally don't want to split your focus between two types of defense (the exception being that Life/ES are a defense and you may want armor/evasion/dodge as a secondary layer).

Iron Reflexes is pretty good and still leaves you with 5% evasion, which definitely doesn't hurt. Just remember that armor doesn't help a ton against huge hits so you still need a large life pool (or ES if you're doing that) to survive one-shots.

zxqv8
Oct 21, 2010

Wouldn't the jeweler trick for 6 sockets be incredibly expensive?

Also wouldn't it break links?

zxqv8
Oct 21, 2010

Note that Dodge and evasion are two separate things so acro with unwavering stance is unusual but it does make some sense.

zxqv8
Oct 21, 2010

Simply kill the boss of any map you like and don't kill the boss of any map you don't.

Your hand may be forced for some maps if you want a shaper orb from them, but there's a relatively uncomplicated way to undo them if you really hate them, or you can just sell those maps when they drop.

The complex stuff comes when you're trying to make your Atlas drop very specific maps in specific tiers and using sextants to block other sextants and blech. Just do maps you like and don't do maps you don't.

zxqv8
Oct 21, 2010

Don't worry about the ilvl of it, really. Vorici can force 4 sockets/links even if it's ilvl 1.

As for farming it, anywhere you can arrange high item quantity and high item rarity is really the only way I can think of.

Except, there is a prophecy for it: https://pathofexile.gamepedia.com/The_Brutal_Enforcer

zxqv8
Oct 21, 2010

Bloodly posted:

I can say I'm not holding a button. I still cast plenty each engagement with Assassin's Mark, Arc and rarely a Fireball. It's something I need to think about. I 'should' use all my summons. In practice the skels only see the field when I need more bodies(Think Strongbox as well as bosses), and the Raging Spirits rarely get cast. When I need the bodies and damage most, I'm too busy running. Izaro proved that, as have the bosses of the Acts.

I need to think about rejiggering. I dunno. Maybe a Totem? But the debuffs on the Spell Totem gem seem pretty nasty and I dunno if I'd take Totem boosting skills. Not that I especially have the slots.

Looking at your character, you've spread yourself waaaay thin across the multitude of skills you're using. None of them are strong enough because you're not supporting any of them with enough links and are instead using those sockets for more active skills. Summoners are a heck of a lot more busy than you'd initially think going into it, but ultimately you should be settling on two to three active skills unless you're doing something really strange/non-meta.

To start repairing this, I'd first say choose either skeletons or SRS, not both. They serve a similar purpose, and using both is pretty redundant and results in both of them being too weak to be useful. Whichever you do choose, try to get them into at least a four link item like your helmet or boots, and give them speed/damage supports. Choose whichever minion skill you like best for a potential 5/6L setup in whatever chest armor you ultimately settle on using, and leave the others in your 4L items. Basically, you want all your minions (except your golem unless you're focusing on golems) to have at least 3 good supports for them to be at all useful.

Arc is a great support skill, but you're missing a lot of its potential the way you currently have it setup. Try ditching the animated guardian altogether, as its pretty difficult to make effective. Instead, use those sockets to support Arc with Curse on Hit and throw Assassin's mark into there. You could also opt for Temporal Chains or Enfeeble or Warlord's Mark as more defensive options. You can use the fourth link to support Arc with spell echo/faster casting or innervate or culling strike, or even something like onslaught. One cast of arc will hit a pile of enemies, potentially shocking them, curse them with your curse of choice, and give you the benefit of whatever you use in the fourth socket. Or you can put your golem in there and they'll be able to curse stuff for you too. You'll find a lot of good options for the fourth socket, but getting arc setup as a curse on hit skill will do wonders for your experience, I believe.

Also, level your Empower in a weapon swap and get an actual useful support in its place for your spectres. Empower doesn't really shine until it's adding 2 levels or more, which can be achieved by leveling it to 2 and then getting lucky corrupting it to 3, or using it in an item that boosts the level of socketed gems - or leveling it to 3, but that takes a long rear end time, like into your 90s. Right now it's just taking up space and applying a mana multiplier for no gain. For spectres, you ideally want to choose support gems that complement whatever skill the spectres you roll with are using. You can use something like spell echo with GMP if they use spell projectiles, brutality with melee splash if you opt for spectres that punch things, or you can just go with generic minion supports if you tend to just grab whatever corpses are laying around and hope they're useful. If you do that last option, another minion skill will be your better 5/6L choice. Spectres can get stupidly strong with specialized supports, but the downside is you have to hunt down the right enemies and worry about their levels when you grab them from lower zones. SRS can also get very strong with 4 or 5 good supports, and skeletons are now quite competitive from what I've been seeing. Zombies can also be pretty effective (and have the advantage of being semi-permanent meatshields), but they kinda need the Violent Dead threshold jewel to truly shine.

You'll also very much want to find a place (probably your weapon or shield) for an offering skill. Flesh offering is the most common as it's the offensive skill; the effect on your minions is very dramatic when you pop corpses with it. Bone offering is straight up defensive and if you're a necro, makes you much less likely to die. Spirit offering is good, but requires more specific building than you're probably ready for. I've got 5200 hours logged in steam and across the dozen or so summoners I've played, I've never made use of it yet. All three also have the advantage of removing corpses so enemy necros can't raise them and bosses/totems can't detonate them under you.

My experience with summoners has usually been to summon the permanent minions as they're needed, use the temporary minions for clearing, and then an offering/convocation per need. Also, CWDT convocation is good if you're a "Behold my Army" type of summoner. Otherwise I tend to prefer it as a manual "oh poo poo things are hitting me" button.

Ultimately, the point of all those :words: is that you need to specialize to some degree, or you're eventually gonna have a bad time. Summoners do a lot more than most classes, but even they need to focus in on what they want to achieve or they'll just end up spread too thin and die a lot. As you play more and more you'll learn what you can skip from the kinds of suggestions I made here, but even if they're not purely optimal I think you'll find yourself having a better time if you follow some of them directly. Especially the Arc/Curse on Hit thing and beefing up one particular summon type.

edit: I just want to stress that getting 5/6L is absolutely NOT necessary for a summoner to be very effective. I leveled a SRS necro to 90 in Legacy League never getting past 4L on any items, and while it was slower than I'd have liked, it remained plenty effective the whole way. It's obviously a very useful goal to shoot for, but don't feel like you're failing if you can't get one right away.

zxqv8 fucked around with this message at 11:38 on Aug 20, 2017

zxqv8
Oct 21, 2010

Victario's Charity is a good go-to with anything that you resummon a lot of

zxqv8
Oct 21, 2010

My ritual is thus:

Get 6s item
Right click fusing stack
Hold shift while left clicking the item until it becomes 6L or I run out of fusings.

zxqv8
Oct 21, 2010

When y'all are getting bored with just clearing content, that's the exact moment you should start designing and trying out ridiculous niche builds that probably won't be very effective but seem cool in concept.

Watch woolfio's stuff on youtube, he figured out how to play for fun and try new poo poo. The game is more than just killing every boss and getting hundreds of exalts and headhunters and skyforths. Sure those make for some neat builds, but they're hardly the end-all for the whole gameplay experience.

zxqv8
Oct 21, 2010

Most minions also move toward wherever your pointer is when you take any action besides walking.

Raging spirits don't, but they move quickly enough that it rarely matters.

Skeletons also don't, but you can cast them right on top of whatever you want dead.

zxqv8
Oct 21, 2010

I think you really have to play a LOT to truly benefit from the div card tab. Same for the essence tab, but less severely. I played a fuckin ton of legacy league and while it came close, I never actually filled up a normal tab with div cards.

If you play near the frequency that a streamer does, for instance, I'd say each of the specialized tabs would be a must. Anything less than that and I'd say to only get the currency tab, and maybe the essence tab too.

zxqv8
Oct 21, 2010

I'd just take it. Your evasion probably isn't high enough to really rely on it for anything, so you may as well reduce the severity of the hits you do take.

You'll still have 5% chance to evade even with IR, so unless you're rocking a really high evasion rate you probably won't be losing too much.

zxqv8
Oct 21, 2010

Control Volume posted:

Martyr build take two is turning out well, performs way better than the paladin build I was following and nearly outperforms it 15 levels under

Tell me more about this, I presume, Martyr of Innocence build you've made. I was trying to think of some way to pair that with Eye of Innocence and wonder if you're doing something similar.

zxqv8
Oct 21, 2010

NofrikinfuN posted:

Interesting. Bad luck this time but I wouldn't mind rolling 14 midnight blades or something.

Keepers of the Trove, for reference

zxqv8
Oct 21, 2010

I'll always remember the crystal belts trove someone plopped on imgur a while back.

Talk about $$$$

zxqv8
Oct 21, 2010

His effect on gear is so bad that he bans people from his chat who even talk about how they're going to make money flipping the poo poo he uses.

Kinda funny.

zxqv8
Oct 21, 2010

Yes, it's very distressing that you're not able to use shield charge with wands.

It makes sense, given that the damage is based off whatever melee weapon you're using, but cmon. Just let it do no damage GGG. :argh:

zxqv8
Oct 21, 2010

poe.ninja, i think

hopefully, at this point mathil is just claiming he'll be using a unique so the flippers blow hundreds to thousands of chaos buying up said unique, only to later not use that unique and have their sales vanish entirely

zxqv8
Oct 21, 2010

Possibly because it was recommended for the last build of the week

zxqv8
Oct 21, 2010

I stopped playing HC except for like, the 2 week challenge races because at least in those there may be some opportunity to slow and steady your way to a demi or something.

There's no competing in Standard league races against people who will play for 36 hours straight. At least someone doing the same in HC might die due to poor judgement from lack of sleep.

I suppose someday when I can play again I'll have to finally level a character to 90 in HC just for the achievement, but I'm otherwise done with it.

zxqv8
Oct 21, 2010

The truth is in the middle. It's a very good roll on a less than desirable base. There are wander builds that prefer slower attack speed bases, but they are less common.

If you want to sell it, find similar on poe.trade and then way overprice it to start, dropping the price every day or every few hours, depending on how much you play.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zxqv8
Oct 21, 2010

Sarcastro posted:

I want to try it with CwC Arc and see what happens. Or maybe BL, I guess. Just seems like it'll be so drat pretty with Arc.

This is what I immediately thought of when I saw it. I only wish tendrils itself chained at least once.