Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Captain Foo)
How do you feel about Archnemesis mods on rares?
Incredibly fun, I love them!
They're alright
Needs more work
Almost as much fun as shoving a red hot nail under my fingernail
Other (post below)
View Results

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Getting back into POE in earnest for the first time in like 2 or 3 years. My thanks to whoever linked that Arc Witch guide, it's helping a lot.

As for the new Betrayal stuff, I'm just clicking on whatever seems good at the time, because when has that ever gone wrong in this game?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

George posted:

You're forgetting the most important detail: go go go don't stop and have fun with anything.

Speed-running's kind of it's own thing. It's playing a completely separate game that only tangentially involves the game they are technically playing.

It's a skillset I admire but will never possess.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

I basically understand about a tenth of what's going on in this game right now but it's fun as hell.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Lightning Knight posted:

They did a really good job with the dialogue in this league and making us feel bad for the syndicate members. :smith:

Hillock just wants a friend! Won't you help him find a friend?

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Lightning Knight posted:

Hate the Syndicate! Hate myself! Just want to die. :smithicide:

Hillock is so sad lmao.

Not that the mechanics need to get even more complicated, but he'd be at the top of my list if we could recruit our own counter-Syndicate just because I feel so bad for the dude.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

I'm using Storm Brand as part of that Arc Witch build (mostly to proc Arcane Whatsit and do Mana Leech but the damage is hardly inconsiderable) and the combination of the two skills feels basically like POE Easy Mode.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

So in the event I wanted to do some kind of FIRE HAHAHAHAHA FIRE EVERYWHERE build, Armageddon Brand is the way to go?

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

saintonan posted:

So I just started playing POE a couple days ago and just finished Act 2, playing Enki's arc witch. Haven't had any issues with face tanking any mobs or bosses including Syndicate mobs. Should I even care about gear at this point other than having enough sockets for support gems? When in the transition to where gear matters? Finishing Act 10?

I'm in late Act 7 with Enki's arc witch and yeah, basically what everyone's said. You'll want to give some attention to your resistances and make sure you have the best flasks you can get but there's no need to obsess.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Lightning Knight posted:

I'm currently dumbfounded at the fact that it's telling me there's a Breach but I can't find the drat wall and I keep dying because I only have 3 flares.

I'm strongly considering making a second character purely for Delving. :mad:

Oh god, I don't even know what to look for in a Fractured Wall and attempts to google have not been encouraging.

I haven't really devoted much time or energy into delving though, since I get one sulphite node every three trillion game areas or so right now.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Well, I beat Act 10 for the first time this morning before work (and then promptly got squashed flat by my first map because lol remember those resistances I used to have)?

Guess I should probably re-evaluate the gear I haven't looked closely at since, uh, Act 4, huh?

Also after reading the last 70 posts I'm thinking I'll just adopt a fire sale mentality for anything I sell (if I even sell poo poo) regardless of value, because it's easier and I don't really care.

(Someone quote this at me in 2 weeks when I've turned into Electronic George Hearst.)

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

How long is Betrayal meant to last, anyway? (Aside from "hopefully forever")

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

My one six-link armor piece so far is...um...I'd feel like I was ripping off the vendor getting a divine orb for it. (And it's corrupted to boot, not my fault, it dropped in a Vaal area) and maddeningly just one color off from the sockets I need.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

The Locator posted:

Has anyone found some solution for the latency spikes/freezing in this league? It's driving me crazy. Fairly sure it's on their end though, as my actions get completed after the freeze/spike in a very compressed time-frame, like it's catching up.

As far as I can tell you basically just have to wait it out when it happens and hope you don't win the lag lottery today.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

euphronius posted:

You can Get a Vaal double strike and put it in a tabula with ancestral protector totem. They will share support gems. This is a good idea.

This is all imho.

Will ancestral protector proc the vaal version of the skill?

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

euphronius posted:

?? You proc VDS by pressing a button when it’s filled up.

Maybe I don’t understand your question. Probably.

I was wondering if the totem would cast the Vaal version or if I had to self-cast it. (Saw it recommended in a Cyclone build I'm flirting with trying.)

e. Oh wait I completely misunderstood how Ancestral Protector even works. NEVER MIND.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

I'm not normally a 'throws keyboard through monitor and then chucks entire computer out window and then throws shattered window shards at any remaining piece of technology in my sight' kind of guy, but dying to Izaro's last stage at the end of Eternal Labyrinth just now may have just made me swear so loud my roommate thought I'd been hurt.

It, uh, may be time to do something else for a little bit.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Meyers-Briggs Testicle posted:

Pointless because the stash api doesnt update that frequently

Hi I want to buy THING-YOU-SOLD-AN-HOUR-AGO

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

So I hit the Chance Orb lottery (sort of) earlier today and now have a Tinkerskin burning a hole in my pocket. So what's a good traps build that isn't Arc Traps?

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Salt Fish posted:

Did a 100% run of uber lab this morning. Didn't take a single HP of damage, walked into the last boss fight and got killed in a tenth of a second. 8500 EHP with max resists and none of the earlier phases touched me. Guess I'm taking a break for a while...

That happened to me the first time I ran it, though in my case I just wasn't really prepared to be teleported into the middle of a burning floor.

It is especially frustrating given the special "gently caress you" rules of the labyrinth, though.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

I have no idea how much my characters are worth and I don't care. One melts things with a million billion arc lasers and the other spins around and hits things and eventually the things will explode with fire once I get him leveled.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

I just ignore my flasks and die a lot.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

I kind of like the memory fragments and I haven't really seen any of the rest of it yet.

I do enjoy not being jumped by superpowered assholes every ten minutes, too.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

This league is good for the holy lasers but I don't really care about memory man no matter how many times he guilt trips me with "That's...that's okay, Exile, I didn't really need the memory of my eighth birthday. It's fine.

I SAID IT'S FINE"

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

I personally haven't (aside from a few times in town hubs) but I've heard a lot of complaints to that effect.

I suspect their gateways are overburdened because it's League start.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

As someone who absolutely cannot be bothered with minmax-crafting-throw-thousands-in-currency-at-an-item-and-hope-for-the-best, I expect Synthesis to eventually occupy the same "something to do when I need a break from maps" space as Delve (though if I'm being honest, it's more like maps are the thing I do when I want a break from Delve, and Synthesis will be the thing I do when I want a break from them both).

I'll probably start doing the Regal recipe though because it sounds like they're gonna be in demand.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

euphronius posted:

They could definitely rotate gimmicks at this point

We don’t need delve AND incursion for example

SHUT YOUR FILTHY MOUTH.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

I do agree in general that just piling mechanic after mechanic on is oversaturating the game a little. I think there's room for everything that's there now, just, though it sounds like Betrayal needs to have its place in the world thought out a bit more and Synthesis needs to be something more distinct than a combination of Incursion and Delve with the best bits of each stripped out. I think these are both solvable problems.

Next league needs to do something different than just "here is a new side dungeon type with on-map encounters" though. I'm not sure what that something is, maybe an enhancement to an existing game mode or something. Maybe make Labyrinth less tedious. I dunno. Maintenance rather than piling something else on top of the teetering tower.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

whalestory posted:

I just bought a 6L Perfect Form (197 dex required evasion armor) and just realized that I have to color it to be something like 4g2b or 5g1b for bane or essence drain. Can someone recommend me a way to get these offcolor sockets? I've never used anything besides just spamming chroms before and I'm pretty sure that will be the stupidest way to do this

Or should I just respec to using soulrend which I think is 3g3b? Man I spent almost all my juice on this armor oops :D

If it's a pure evasion armor, the "At least 2 blue sockets" recipe would probably get you there fastest.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Ugato posted:

Honestly if they just straight ripped the collapsing mechanic out of the memories I’d like them a lot more.

Or even just ease off on it a little.

I actually really like the little bits of voiceover narrative you get during the on-map memories, or I would if I wasn't largely ignoring them because oh gently caress I'm getting walled in already I haven't even found one stabilizer yet.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Draxion posted:

Man finding and buying jewels makes me want to die. I guess since all my gear is dirt cheap (turns out when you play melee this league your gear stops costing multiple exalts per piece) I can swing it, but I really don't want to.

Also, how do you all usually go about getting a loreweave? Just keeping unique rings you find until you've got enough? I'm having a hell of a time finding people who actually bother to stop what they're doing and trade 1 alch rings to me.

I follow a careful strategy of hoarding all my unique rings and getting bored with the game when I have about ten of them.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

The Synthesis stuff that doesn't revolve around crafting/being an end-stage capitalism simulator is kind of cool, if fiddly. (Less fiddly than before).

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Jazerus posted:

are we mining sulphite out of cavas's head?

Next week's patch notes:

Sulphite now only available in boss memory nodes.
Memories only available in level 85 delves.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

I'm enjoying the memories as extra places to run through and murder monsters and grab loot and I kind of dig the little narrative snippets you get, but I probably wouldn't miss any of that if it were gone.

The crafting side of it feels, even more than most crafting in this game, like you need to go full-bore obsessive all-in on it or you may as well not even bother. So I haven't bothered.

New skills are great, though.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Yeah, that sounds about right.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

No Safe Word posted:

The only minor edit I'd make is:

3.6: overall pretty great but Betrayal as core is stupid

I'm not sure how you reconcile the Unveiled mods stuff and I know they want you to grind to get crafting options but ugh the betrayal mechanics are not it.

I really like the Betrayal stuff overall (or I did last league) but yeah the core version really needs some work. If nothing else (using Incursion as a general model), you should ideally be running a safehouse every 11 or so Betrayal encounters (so every 4 maps or so), instead of, you know, never, but of course with four (five counting mastermind) different safehouses in play, each of which have different rewards that you'd want to game, I don't know how you balance that, exactly.

As it is, when they show up it's less "oh, cool, something interesting to do" and more "oh now I have to deal with THIS poo poo again, maybe I'll get some kind of reward out of it someday", especially when it happens on a no-deaths Zana mission (which seems to happen a lot, though that could just be selection bias).

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

There's also the chaos recipe, which is sort of the POE equivalent of desperately looking for change in the sofa cushions.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

In some ways I'm kind of glad to be doing a Cyclone character now rather than next league when all the decent gear for it is gonna skyrocket.

Speaking of, is there anything folks would recommend for a green support gem for an all-physical Cyclone that is otherwise supported by Brutality, Maim, Melee Physical Damage, and Concentrated Effect? (I burned up 700 chromes trying for another red socket before I just decided to leave well enough alone). I suppose I could drop one of my red supports and go cast on melee kill with blade vortex or something but enh. Right now I'm using blind support because that seems about as good as anything. My only other real options look like Onslaught and Faster Attacks, neither of which seems to bring that much to the table.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

This goddamn game. Had a Beachhead map up for the first time ever, popped out to sell something and...failure to connect to instance.

That'll teach me to respond to trade whispers.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

I just started leveling a Trickster to play around with Charged Dash, because I never have before. I probably should have waited til the flashback league but eh, I may not even be playing in 2 weeks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Cynic Jester posted:

I really enjoy delving. That doesn't mean I want people who dislike delving to be randomly teleported into a delve when they map.

I like delving and would support exactly this sort of re-education for people who are misguided enough not to.