Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Captain Foo)
How do you feel about Archnemesis mods on rares?
Incredibly fun, I love them!
They're alright
Needs more work
Almost as much fun as shoving a red hot nail under my fingernail
Other (post below)
View Results

Wuxi
Apr 3, 2012

After years I finally managed to unlock the Scion and the new leagues next week are kinda calling to me, since D3 isn't giving us anything new for next season.

This SSF thing seems like it would be extremely my poo poo, is this always available? How many builds would be non-viable if I had to rely on drops/crafting?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wuxi
Apr 3, 2012

SSF it is then. Not gonna look up any specific builds, so lets see how badly I can screw up my passive tree.

Wuxi
Apr 3, 2012

George posted:

You already hosed it up so bad you need to reroll and the league hasn't even started.

Can't wait

Wuxi
Apr 3, 2012

Mr. Despair posted:

Doesn't Scion unlock just for getting most of the way through a3?

Yes :downs:

Wuxi
Apr 3, 2012

drat, Scion looks rather complicated to skill. Who thought making everything equally accessible was a good idea?

Wuxi
Apr 3, 2012

The discord link in the op doesn't seem to work, anybody got a new one?

Wuxi
Apr 3, 2012

Dahbadu posted:

It's always tempting to make a Scion, but it usually turns out badly (for me, at least). I'm tempted to make a Scion utilizing the new Might of the Meek jewels this coming league. Probably not the best league starter, though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zRhMYueaLVM

Maybe I'll go Ranger instead. For now I'm just looking for cool gems to make a build around.

Wuxi
Apr 3, 2012

I think I'll manage to do a passable build, even if I maybe have to play Ranger instead of Scion, but I'm kinda confused by what stuff applies to which gems?
Like for example, %Global Physical Damage increases Ice Shots damage, because Ice Shot converts physical damage to cold? Same with %Attack Physical Damage?
What even is the difference between Global and Attack Physical Damage?
Is there an easy way to find out what applies to what?

Wuxi
Apr 3, 2012

Thats helpful.

I think I'll go with an Ice Shot ranger for the season, switching to a Molten Strike Scion once my build becomes an unsalvageable mess, so I have loads of new passives I can gently caress up.

Wuxi
Apr 3, 2012

I know myself, if I go down that road I'll spend more time theorycrafting than playing.
And since I have no frame of reference how well a real build works, I'll probably have fun anyway

Wuxi
Apr 3, 2012

Mr. Despair posted:

The whole point is to leave the theorycrafting to someone else who already did it :psyduck:

Yes. Its not going to work :downs:
Anyway, I don't even know what items are possible to get in SSF and what builds wouldn't work. I'll go to poebuilds soon enough, once I'm frustrated with my own poo poo.

Wuxi
Apr 3, 2012

Guild is character based, not account? Thats kinda backwards :shrug:

Wuxi
Apr 3, 2012

TheRat posted:

Guild is account based but I need a character name to send invites

Fair enough, can you send an invite to Wuxilla?

Wuxi
Apr 3, 2012

I think my build is mostly done, but I'm still a bit confused one thing:
How are the defensive options in this game? I get that %Life and Elemental Resistance are mandatory, no matter what you do, but what about Armor/Evasion/Energy Shield? More specifically I could either specc into Iron Reflexes or Acrobatics/Phase Acrobatics.

Wuxi
Apr 3, 2012

I read the wiki page on Molten Strike and I'm not sure I understood anything.

So Molten Strike is a single target melee ability (it gets enhanced by Ancestral Call Support?), that creates projectiles dealing xx% weapon damage (the projectiles aren't scaling with %Melee Damage Increase?). Multiple Projectiles Support increases the number of projectiles (Does it also increase the number of projectiles created by Ancestral Call Support?). Are the projectiles scaling with %Projectile Damage? Since the projectiles do physical damage that then gets converted into fire damage the gem also fully scales with %Physical damage increase and for 60% with %Fire damage increase and %Elemental damage increase?

How does all of this now interact with Avatar of Fire? Does it convert 110% of physical damage into fire? 80%?

Wuxi
Apr 3, 2012

Thanks, that clears some things up. My head still hurts though.

Goa Tse-tung posted:

2. They are, the projectiles use the melee damage as a base

Vasudus posted:

(but not melee physical damage, like the strike)

Which one is true though?

Wuxi
Apr 3, 2012

I'll roll either Spectre Necro or Double Strike/Cyclone Ascendant for HC Flashback, where my goal is to kill Shaper.
Really looking forward to all these new and interesting ways to die, since I haven't played any league besides Incursion.

Wuxi
Apr 3, 2012

Wait, if I manage to luck into one of those through, dunno, a t2 sacrifice altar and I list it for 50c, does that mean these guys have to buy it for their scam?

Wuxi
Apr 3, 2012

kzin602 posted:

That's almost exactly one of the income streams the goon guild in Star Trek Online has. Except we are ripping off ERPers

:patriot:

Wuxi
Apr 3, 2012

FruitNYogurtParfait posted:

It's just a genericly good as hell skill, not a lot left to say about it

I've been wondering about that, how would Double Strike/Cyclone stack up to a generic Sunder/Ancestral Warchief Juggernaut as a SSF starter for Flashback?

Wuxi
Apr 3, 2012

Ultima66 posted:

FREEDOM!

I gotta finish up the other challenges but whatever it's not gonna be that hard.

Just in time to do it again and get a demigods

Wuxi
Apr 3, 2012

Tai posted:

I didn’t think arc was OP really. It was just traps that made it so. I’m hoping traps haven’t gone back to dumpster tier again as I quite like the play style. The throw speed nerf worries me a bit. I’m hoping it’s not a stupid nerf to 1 second throw speeds.

I mean Arc is the best skill for self-cast, totems and traps. It can't be traps alone.

Wuxi
Apr 3, 2012

I feel like you're underestimating totems here a bit. Mathils old shimmeron arc totem build had something along the lines of 500k dps per totem. Thats with the stuff he had in bestiary, so good 3-stat jewels and a 21/0 arc, but without Soul Mantle. He has claimed that a good shaped staff would out damage that in 3.4, which I would find pretty crazy since shimmeron is one hell of a lot of damage, but if its anywhere close to those numbers it definitely doesn't have to hide from traps.

Wuxi
Apr 3, 2012

DS Champion or Pure Skeleton Necro as a SSF starter?
How would Necro perform as an uber lab farmer? With the new shared minion attack speed for better movement?

Wuxi
Apr 3, 2012

Philthy posted:

Fairly new to PoE in it's current state. I bought(?) the game like 40 years ago when it was alpha or something and didn't care for it much at the time and forgot about it until like a week ago and now it looks like it's Diablo 2 on steroids, which seems really cool.

I'm working to make a Templar Spark Inquisitor build and one thing I am unsure of with builds is how expensive they are. I see cheap and expensive equipment stats. Don't people just farm items? I don't mind trading for certain things, but if you're expected to trade for 99% of your gear that's a huge turn off.

Trading is a chore, but its only necessary for build defining uniques (I dont think spark has those?) and atlas completion. There is a whole game-mode called Solo Self-found where you can't trade or group, with their own ladder and stuff. Progression is definitely slower without trading and some builds flat-out wouldn't work unless you luck into those uniques, but you can play the whole game without ever interacting with another player.
That said, trading helps a whole lot with patching holes in your gear and general item progression without having to rely on drops.

Wuxi
Apr 3, 2012

Ornedan posted:

Has anyone taken Rain of Arrows to Shaper/Uber Elder? How much DPS did you have?

I did T11 Elder with my character (https://pastebin.com/m33E2X6k) and while it did go OK it felt like I barely kept up with the portals phase. Some things I've been thinking of to improve it:
  • Get a Hatred crit chance Watcher's Eye
  • Switch the frenzy + curse setup for a Toxic Rain totem. I've no curse effectiveness anyway
  • Conc Effect instead of Mirage Archer maybe?
  • More abyssal sockets. Lightpoacher / Bubonic Trail / fossil crafted boots?
  • Different bow? Windripper and stack cold+lightning. Tempest + Inpulsa and stack lightning.

1. Get that last point into Primeval Force. Its a significant damage boost
2. Balance your resists and get a Wise Oak. Your resists are close enough that you can easily do this with crafting
3. 20/20 your gems

These three things alone should get you the dps needed for uber elder (more than Mathils dps on his doomfletch RoA build). Your survivability is really bad though, so good luck with that.

Wuxi
Apr 3, 2012

Double Bill posted:

In case anyone playing a caster is having trouble in Delve: I've pretty much stopped dying after giving up 2 sockets in my 6L for Curse on Hit + Warlord's Mark. There's so much poo poo swarming you all the time that all the aoe leech can keep you alive through almost anything.

That seems a tad bit excessive considering there are a lot of ways to apply curses that don't half your dps. Use a blaspemy curse aura or do CoH with heralds or get yourself a CoH ring.

Wuxi
Apr 3, 2012

Question time: I've finally unlocked uber elder, can someone more knowledgeable about this game tell me if my build is uber elder ready and if not, what I could upgrade to get there? Besides the ring I guess, that one gets replaced real soon.

https://www.pathofexile.com/account/view-profile/Wuxi/characters?characterName=Wuxilla

Wuxi
Apr 3, 2012

It actually took me 9 whole sets, but I got him :toot:

Wuxi
Apr 3, 2012

Andy Dufresne posted:

Anyone want to help me out with a semi-budget hardcore poet's pen build? It's going to be my last character in Delve and I have the PP + about 8ex in currency, half of which is going to be spent on getting another pen. All the profiles I see for pathfinders are using Zerphi's which isn't gonna work. It seems like PP Jugg might be workable, but Juggs can be kind of boring and maybe slow.

Also this character is meant to be a mapper, I'm not looking to kill any more bosses this league. If PP sucks for that I guess I'll sell it and look for a mapping build to start instead. I've played arc traps, BV elementalist, and golem elementalist so far this league.
With an 8ex budget you're pretty much stuck with Arc, probably Ele. It has the best clear and everything besides the two PP (you need at least three, better four for Arc PP) its reasonably cheap. Inpulsa is pretty cheap this late into the league, Mind of the Council is very cheap this league thanks to all the free keys from delving and then you just need a Berek's Grip to round out your core items.

Wuxi
Apr 3, 2012

Andy Dufresne posted:

Interesting. I had actually decided over the last few hours to do ascendant elementalist/slayer but this looks better. The gear is quite a bit more expensive on DHC (Shavronne's is 280c for instance), but I think I can come up with the cash.

The real kicker is the ES on hit watcher's eye or fenumus you want, which is 15ex on HC. It outperforms any other PP build thats not a Zerphis Pathfinder though.

Wuxi
Apr 3, 2012

Dance Officer posted:

Are they supposed to just oneshot me with some attacks?

Yes. Every t16 boss has at least one big attack that will without a doubt oneshot you. All of them are pretty telegraphed so its all about learning the fights

Wuxi
Apr 3, 2012

please knock Mom! posted:

you can just email support and they'll get back to you about comping you like 10 mins later

I tried that with the new betrayal packs and got this in reply:

quote:

Hey there,

Thanks for contacting Support.

We can only consider point pack purchases made from 13th November 2018 (9am NZT) onwards as eligible to be contributed to the Betrayal Supporter Packs. I have had a look and I'm afraid you currently have no eligible point pack purchases.

I apologise for not being of more assistance here, but please let us know if you have any further questions or concerns.

Kind regards,
Nav
(my initial point purchases were two months earlier)

So I wouldnt count on it working

Wuxi
Apr 3, 2012

Mentat Radnor posted:

(for 1 second, under ideal conditions with all flasks up, if Shaper stands still for 3 seconds of setup time)
Funnily enough all of that is actually easy to setup during the Shaper fight.

Wuxi
Apr 3, 2012

Digital_Jesus posted:

Anyone done with Delve that wants to unload on me? Relative new guy who wants to try out finishing this stupid build before the leagues done.

You don't really need more than two Poets and a Shavs to get the build started

Wuxi
Apr 3, 2012

Digital_Jesus posted:

I've got 90% of it. Im missing the abyssal jewel and a belt to socket it in mostly.

Are you just copying that build item for item? Because thats gonna be interesting

Wuxi
Apr 3, 2012

Social Media posted:

would elemental hit still be a decent starter even with the quill rain and chin sol nerfs?

e: seems like it's still fine. haven't done a bow build in a while so maybe this will do the job

The Quill Rain nerf doesnt do anything for Ele Hit, the old 40% less also affected it.

Wuxi
Apr 3, 2012

Saying BV is a strange skill that may or may not be to your liking is very much right.
Saying Ele BV is not an extremely strong league starter, with or without Inpulsa is straight up wrong
Saying Ele BV is clunky to play and then suggesting MS, which clears maps roughly at the speed of continental drifts, is :ironicat:

Wuxi
Apr 3, 2012

Vilgefartz posted:

I asked my gf if i could get up early to play POE and she said its okay. Does it actually function well enough to play in the first hour ?

Last two starts have been smooth as butter, besides maybe a 5min queue at the very start.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wuxi
Apr 3, 2012

Goa Tse-tung posted:

Deadeye - Doomfletch's Prism - Tornadoshot
yeah that's off-meta :colbert:

Doomfletch Tornado Shot does so goddamn much damage and scales extremely well with gear. If you don't mind starting as a bow build, which can be annoying, this will take care of any piece of content in the game, down to the deepest of delves.