Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Captain Foo)
How do you feel about Archnemesis mods on rares?
Incredibly fun, I love them!
They're alright
Needs more work
Almost as much fun as shoving a red hot nail under my fingernail
Other (post below)
View Results

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

A bad poster trying to get better.
Hello, a two day newb here.
Are there other videos like this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iy1cTTo-aBk with explanations, leveling and progression tips, etc for different builds?
Trying to generally enjoy the first character (shadow) as is but did encounter quite some problems at Malachai in act 4 so I had to rely on armor flask and blight spam while respawning constantly

ps
how to add more sockets to item when harvest now is gone forever?

Erulisse fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Sep 14, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

whypick1 posted:

Not as good as EE did, unfortunately.

You also picked a really weird time to start because the current league just ended and the next one starts up in a week. You can still play, it'll just have to be on...*shudder* Standard.

Jeweler's Orbs, but you generally don't want to use them while you're leveling. Check the town NPCs after you level (that's when their inventory resets) to see if they offer anything fully-linked.

Well I knew it existed for long time and knew it was diablo-like but never did I know that its totally normal to reroll your chars every 3 months. And no one plays standard, only leagues.
What is even standard
So yeah yesterday was as good as any other day to start playing I guess. I can enjoy storyline without caring for new parts of content for now

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

I figured in PoE people call builds by gem/skill names, not character/weapon types used, right?
So I'm finally killing bosses in one go and having a total blast using molten strike as main damage. Heard some youtuber on damage types and all these mechanics videos mention ancestral cry as a good melee buff, so added it too. Also figured that claws have innate life steal so switched to a claw from daggers, currently looking for another claw. I hosed up my unique red socketed (str? heavy? plate?) armor and had to improvise a lot, hence a lot +stat crutches appeared. But killed Dominus without even sweating or dying.
https://www.pathofexile.com/account/view-profile/ErulissePoE/characters?characterName=aregularscion heres my build so far. Could you guys help/criticise? I'm only up to act 5 so far.

Erulisse fucked around with this message at 09:48 on Sep 21, 2020

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

pork never goes bad posted:

I'd call your character a Molten Strike Scion. On the one hand, it is very far from what an optimized character would look like at your level. On the other hand, I think it's often more fun to try your best to work through the story the first time you play without diving in to the details of efficient play. If you continue to play this character, my biggest pieces of advice are going to be that you should value life and resistance rolls on gear very highly, and you really need to push towards Constitution (left of your start) soon and prioritize percent life increases on the tree much much more highly than you have so far (you have precisely 0 life on the tree - I don't know what your life total is, but I aim for 300 life per act).

We have a new league starting on Friday, and I'd recommend you make a new character in Heist when it starts. If you want to brush up on content first, Zizaran has just started a good series of videos on Youtube for beginners. And Engineering Eternity has an awesome, if slightly old, set of videos for beginners. If you'd rather follow a guide (which I think I would recommend if you are interested in hitting endgame this league), let us know what you've enjoyed and not enjoyed (what was that old Shadow?) and people will be able to recommend some good beginner builds.

Yeah its an evening's worth of theorycrafting after my first failure that only worked with harvest gear from 2 days ago :D its a lot of fun burning down whole rooms with more than half of the screen being taken by molten strike
Thanks a lot on the advices, have EE bookmarked and adding zizaran to the view list. The resistances are 75++, got that piece of advice out of chat. Helped a lot with sustainability on bosses. Life is ~700 and yeah I'm moving towards constitution with additional life regen (2 nodes before shaper).
Will definitely finish story before heist and planning to start a new char, probably some mage or necromancer for the sake of it, now following a guide I'll try to find by then.

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

Currently having a blast playing necro while following this build https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6T1ndsDe2KM
Will it still be somewhat viable in heist with all the nerfs? I'm still a less than a week old newb so 'viable' is more like 'not die too often when the stupid player (me) does stupid things'. I like how it plays, though it does lack tankiness yet, compared to my previous scion molten strike but so far looks very promising.

ps
Also, when the next league starts, stash is going to be empty or with my current items from std? What happens after league, does it merge or something (I have cards and currency tabs bought atm, how they will act?)?

pps
also what should one do with a full tab of gems? Vendor?

Erulisse fucked around with this message at 13:36 on Sep 17, 2020

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

Thanks for all the help so far itt!
More basic questions - where can I read about mechanics? If global applies to minions, which exact phrase adds elemental damage to them, which one adds to your 'left mouse click', which adds to what and general 'why my bigger number results in worse situation than smaller but correct number'? I'm kinda lost and frustrated by obscene amounts of info :D

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

Rutibex posted:

I've been playing for 3 leagues now and I still can't wrap my head around the damage formula priories and the difference between "Extra Damage" and "MORE damage" and stuff like that.

I think the only way to really learn it is to play a poo poo load of different builds and gain an intuitive understanding. Trying to learn it from reading the wiki entries is like trying to teaching yourself string theory from a 4th year physics textbook.

Yeah totally doing it now, just picking up a thing, and swapping with old one while looking how numbers in C-sheet change. Appreciate your support man :)

Also XPDrassil is daunting. I totally see room to improve the build for now (during acts, still dont know whats in 'endgame') because the one I'm following totally relies on equip giving resists and this is killing me (also the fact I know poo poo about the game yet) but in the end I will have to run with it in new league where no one has such equip or even currency to acquire such equip. Dang in other similar games it was way easier, like hundredfold easier.
Just trying to laugh off my frustration.

snype edit
This snype is awful.

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

Yeah, got the dps part and the stuff like -50% dmg per attack but now its 3 attacks (so 150% dmg increase total). It's not about the exact numbers so PoB will be overkill (it's still open on second screen for reference) but more about the general parts:

whypick1 posted:

To answer your other questions: generally speaking, look at the gem tags and description; if keywords match, it applies. If a modifier doesn't say "minion" or "allies" it won't affect minions. If a damage modifier is on a weapon it is local to that weapon unless it says "global" (which means "you", not "your minions"). Damage modifiers on other gear are global, although may still have some restrictions (i.e. "to attacks" and "to spells").

On the first read this made all the sense, but then it became more complicated. Ahaha this is going to be fun :D
I'll try to compare stats on gear i pick up with stats on gear in the build for now to not bother you helpful guys too much. Thanks again!

Erulisse fucked around with this message at 14:23 on Sep 18, 2020

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

Some guy donated me a tabula rasa robe with 20% quality and 6L white sockets. I still don't have a white gem, what they are for?

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

hawowanlawow posted:

you can put any color gem in them

Ugh...thanks...Now the next 2.5 hrs till servers are up I will be haunting myself with not trying the build I wanted because I didn't knew this and didn't try my usual 'just click on it' or even googling. Oh well!
ps raise zombies necro with a 2h warstaff running cyclone is nuts early game

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

How does a steam peasant update his poe beforehand so by the morning I will finally finish the acts (for the first time in my life)?
It's validating now and didn't download anything besides the game a week ago when I started

Jinnigan posted:

POB? check.
Awakened POE? check.
Loot filters? check.
Axe? check.
Hatred? check.
Wrath? check.
Mermaid? check.
Murder? check.

murmaider murmaider murmaider murmaider murmaider murmaider murmaider murmaider murmaider murmaider murmaider murmaider murmaider murmaider murmaider murmaider

Ah, a man of culture!

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

No Safe Word posted:

Just launch the game now and you'll get the update

Nothing happens, game launches with heist countdown on the screen

fake edit
1 minute later it started, after verifying files and relaunching game once more

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

PC here, sitting strong at 51118 mark.
Man can't wait to fulfill my necromancer destiny of killing poo poo and reviving it because gently caress death I guess

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

9k and rapidly diminishing my queue number is.
See you all in Wraeclast, exiles.

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

Ovenmaster posted:

Could I get an invite to goon guild when able? ign McFaceBeard

me too pls btw, ign will be 'HereHaveASkeleton'
I can bother you in guild chat with my newb questions, so theres that vOv

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

Field report - people are finishing act 2 already FUCKS SAKE HOW IN HELL

ps
first tabula rasa linked in chat :O

Erulisse fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Sep 18, 2020

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

Heists give OBSCENE amounts of uniques (brown stuff)

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

Ugh so who has what experiences on actual heists themselves?
I still didn't get any unique robe or a good weapon, failing most of the time seems like an option for me because of low robe wearer health and such (or I'm just bad lol) and I can't fend off many of the guards post heist with only so many skeletons.
Seems like best option is to start some tanky melee aoe char and do heists up to lvl 25-30 to grab as much uniques as you can and use them as leveling gear

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

Had only 1 ctd in heist and it was totes due to highest settings plus vulkan plus gajillion effects on a horde of enemies.

Dang there goes ~36 hrs of my life but my build is finally complete gear wise. Interesting thing, official trade site https://www.pathofexile.com/trade worked better for me than poe.trade
Easier to search, traders who are not afk and so on. But dang I would kill for a search term like "any mention of 'zzzz' stat in stats"

ps
dammit heist portals close if you enter and immediately exit them. Doubleclicking to enter made me lose many good heists

Erulisse fucked around with this message at 12:23 on Sep 20, 2020

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

lmbo at these scp styled descriptions on the uniques

Awesome! posted:

uh yeah dude the official site has been much better than poe.trade for like a year or something now. no one should use poe.trade anymore.

Well, chat and everyone else referred to poetrade at first so...But thanks to the chat again I learned about official site.

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

More dumb questions - tanky build, fat spectres with minion life are the meat shield ones.
Is it worth it to swap multistrike/empower (dont have it yet anyway)/impale/melee damage/minion damage gems with one of feeding frenzy?
How do I check it in PoB?

Jinnigan posted:

This in particular is really killing my interest in the league. I don't love Heists but could tolerate playing through them if I didn't have to ping pong between my hideout and rogue hideout every time I want to mod a heist

I didn't have that much of a problem with it. Inconvenient? Yes. Game breaking? Dunno. Most of the time for me its 5 seconds tops of being stuck without being able to open stash or get away from it.

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

Dang the game mechanics are fun and unprohibitive!
"You want mana reserving aura with blood magic support? Fine, roll with it champ!"

Miss Broccoli posted:

he cant beat the acts and he's giving advice and opinions on skills to people with hundreds of hours in the game like they are at all relevent or interesting

Hexblast is really super good guys!! 10 hours later: oh no i cant beat act 4 :(((

To defend maboi Rutibex he never said it is good or super good. He said he liked it and wants people to complain how bad it is so it gets buffed.
Also as a summoner I don't even know how many bosses look like. Most of the time when I'm finishing buffing my skeletons the boss is dead. So his frustration with invul phases on Malachai are understandable.
Also hexblast as it seems per many yt videos is a very specific to use, unlike all the meta steels and lances.

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

Elentor posted:

You are right he simply told someone's impressions were "utterly 100% wrong" and that it was "ultimate power incarnate", before even doing malachai.

He only said it was good after killing malachai.
Oh no!
Anyway I had another impression from these two posts you have on that pic but l gonna defend him

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

Fister Roboto posted:

You joke, but this is the basis of some of the most powerful builds out there. I'll give you a hint: this technically counts as being at low life.

Having vendored something that gave me some wonderful and needed stats with 'at low life' modifier right before restart I am now eternally sad :(

How do I list poo poo to sell?

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

CommunityEdition posted:

Son of a bitch, the fish level is reel

Stop with the fishing lines right here

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

please knock Mom! posted:

The easiest way is with a premium tab. You can right click the tab, set it to public, then right click an item in the tab and set it to negotiable price: 69 chaos orbs.

Also, low life builds require some very specific items, don’t be too sad.

Thanks on both things, listed a few tabs of poo poo. Lets hope it won't get too distractive from gameplay

Miss Broccoli posted:

Yeah Tenzarin had a massive meltdown because Elentor both knows more than him and spent effort explaining with maths, something that she's very good at, why people are wrong.

I'd like to issue a formal apology to Elentor on me being wrong.

post awful snype edit
I guess I'll have to live with that too

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

In over a dozen builds I sifted through on youtube only one guy mentioned feeding frenzy as a mandatory and explained how and why - to make raise zombies act aggressively and use two support spectres with meatshield gem for sticking near you and defend. So is it really necessary for summon skeletons to use feeding frenzy?

Thanks for all the trade tips, cash is flowing in like crazy :D
If it keeps going like this I will be able to finish the build in less than a week

To continue on this, I have a specific tab for smaller sales. That tab goes private when I'm actively playing, and public when I'm netflixing/doing whatever. When I'm rich enough it never goes public again and I upgrade my filter a bit.

Just bought one more upgraded a tab and out of 5 default ones it picked 4th lol. I sold the individually listed item in the new tab in less than 10 seconds from listing it while writing this edit. Amazeballs

Erulisse fucked around with this message at 10:00 on Sep 21, 2020

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

Heists for me can be summarized in one sentence - loot boxes then get out (fail it) before alarms go off.

Vasudus posted:

FILTER OVERALL: Hides all the bullshit you don't actually want to see. No rares under 84, etc. and so on.

Aren't tabulas any item level? Or they are not worth more than 1 chaos unless they do have a bigass list of mods?

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

Thanks on all the explanation about ilvl and mods. Also it was my typical idiocy to forget that rare is not just a rare item, it's just a tier of item rarity, my bad.

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

I'm eyeing two 'uberkill' builds https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dAv_qupdl-8 and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f9K5VlxgjY0 for a second char. Casters, relatively cheap to gear rn and maybe more fun? Have anyone played something similar? It seems incredibly stupid to avada kedavra a few screens with a single cast (spam) but immensely fun.
Totally not because I'm tired of the -res gimmick and heist oneshots and and gearing fail and burn out and so on and on and on. Nah, not because of that.

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Games > Path of Exile: Heist - Malachai is the real build test
:D

Vidmaster posted:

BL scion was fun but you 100% should get a flask macro for your mana potion because it kind of sucks just spamming 44444444444444444123444444441234444444444 while playing. It’s pretty gear independent up to red maps, but you’ll probably want a 6L pledge, a mana before life chest or watchers, and some good life/mana gear to do T15+, conquerors, Sirus, etc. because your facetank abilities aren’t going to be as strong as the video without that gear. I felt like my damage was also not as impressive and I wasn’t melting things as hard as he does in the video, but the map clear is super fast and I absolutely had room to improve my gear to improve boss clearing.

Also I killed Malachi without dying and that’s the real test of a build.

Thanks on the input. Yeah, it seems like without proper gear most builds are underwhelming because insane stat stacking is what matters in this game unlike all other games where gear only adds up a bit, a half or a quarter. The staff is like monstrous dps buff but as whole build is geared towards all content I guess I can try just using it as is with what I can for now, seems that it'll work only on gems and basic mods.
Also I thought about combining the two builds. Arc base from the second one with flask and some insights from first one. They seem to be destined to be built together.

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

Hamelekim posted:

I switched to Carrion Golems to get the loot I need for ball lightning as the damage wasn't doing it for me past level 70 in ssf. I was having trouble finding a 6 link for instance, until I had a tabula drop with my golem build. A 4 link ball lightning does not do well in maps.

I'm brain damaged from different hardcore mmo's since ~2004 so I had my both 6L before kitava. Tampers a lot with my 'acting' speed but comfort and pleasure > speed. Shopped around but seeing you are in SSF, labs and heists helped a lot with the drops. My starter is a summoner that has 4L as a core item (desecrate flesh offering cwc cyclone) for summons so I had it pretty easy on gear and managed to have quite a stash of currency now.

This small chat leads to the main question - the cornerstone of the game is getting to maps ASAP and just doing maps or life does exist in storyline? What are you guys' personal 'scripts' to league start? Rush to highest map and build fortune from there, then buy and test new stuff or try new stuff as is? Or is it running a timeless and proven ~~meta~~ build to run chaos recipe day one to buy all the exalts until they are expensive?

How you guys do it? I can't wrap my head around this, main, thing.

Erulisse fucked around with this message at 11:57 on Sep 22, 2020

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

I want to reroll something which destroys bosses and my budget's like 300-400c, am I going golem elementalist or aura stacker? Fireball and hexblast are great at clearing but my god does it suck to try and tickle Sirus to death with a 300k dps ignite.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f9K5VlxgjY0 hmmm?

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

Arrhythmia posted:

"well, I woke up on a beach, then crossed an entire continent on foot, twice, in five hours. i also killed, uh, *counting on fingers* 10? gods, and completely overthrew the political regime of the world's biggest city state. Enough about me though, how was your Sunday?"

"Sunday? I did this all in one morning because they they kept promising me a cup of my morning coffee"

(inspired by poe world record that is something like 2:37 2:56 deathless for 10 acts)

Erulisse fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Sep 22, 2020

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

omfg
no words

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

I bought and instavaaled a tabula. What does '% increased damage' mod do? All outgoing damage or from character, does it apply to minions?

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

Hamelekim posted:

I only vaal a tabula if I have another 6 link or a second tabula, because I want leveling gear and a 6 link in general.

So can vaal gently caress up tabula's links or not? Seen arguments in chat but no certain things been said.

TheRat posted:

I think I overdid my resistances.

Nice icetomb there man. Just bought it? I just sold one :D

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

TheRat posted:

Not wearing any uniques

Is that with buffs, auras or just plain gear? How?

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

Thanks on all the vaal info guys, I though tabulas were an exception :( Great to know after it didn't gently caress up!

Wow you are a pretty hardcore exile. Thanks for the build, that's a lot of interesting insights for me.

Lorem ipsum posted:

There are only happy accidents. Always vaal everything.

Vaal you for the mental image of Vaal Bob Ross :allbuttons:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

TheRat posted:

Heists seem way too easy to complete and over the top rewarding now, so they're probably going to scale back in the other direction. It's trivial to pick up everything.

E: And karst is just op as gently caress since chests are the only things that give alert.

Did they increase per-chest alarm meter raise?