Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Captain Foo)
How do you feel about Archnemesis mods on rares?
Incredibly fun, I love them!
They're alright
Needs more work
Almost as much fun as shoving a red hot nail under my fingernail
Other (post below)
View Results

Setec_Astronomy
Mar 10, 2003

there's nothing wrong with you that an expensive operation can't prolong

As a fairly new player of PoE, I feel like flasks really limit the set of viable builds for me. I can't play anything that requires having a bunch of active skills on the keyboard because I need my fingers for piano-ing the flask keys all the time, so that leaves me only with builds that can be run from my (6-button) mouse + left thumb. It's dumb.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Setec_Astronomy
Mar 10, 2003

So, this is is my first full league (started playing near the end of Delirium, though I had poked at the game a few times over the past many years). I've got a decent BL miner going in mid-yellow maps. Things are feeling good so far but I have ~2ex burning a hole in my pocket and am pondering possible upgrades.

I can see a few possible directions:
- Get a second +1 lightning skill gem wand. This seems like a no-brainer.
- Splurge on an Awakened Added Lightning Support (replacing either Swift Assembly or Charged Mines -- not sure which is better to swap; advantage w/ Charged Mines is that I could free up a couple passive points that I spent on +1 power charge).
- Save up for a LL conversion (i.e. a 6L Shavronne's Wrappings + a bunch of regrets)

I'm sure there are a bunch of other things the experts here will see that I should fix about my build. Would love advice, and would especially love tips for crafting better gear if that is a good option.

Caveat: I want to keep Detonate Mines on left click because it was giving me RSI manually detonating. That probably decreases the value of a Tremor Rod, though maybe still a good option just to be able to swap out High-Impact Mines for something, uh, higher impact. I'd also like to avoid Minefield Support as it feels awful.

Setec_Astronomy
Mar 10, 2003

What's the best use of the double corrupt altar in the temple, assuming I don't want to go to the effort of trying to sell it to someone else?

I was thinking of buying a 20/20 Animate Guardian and trying for 21/23; any better options?

Setec_Astronomy
Mar 10, 2003

Arrhythmia posted:

Double corrupt altar doesn't work on gems. You need the Lapidary Lens for that.

Ah dang, thank you for that info. What's a better use for it?

Setec_Astronomy
Mar 10, 2003

Yolomon Wayne posted:

its also completely beyond me how to make a fraction of the money thats character must have cost.
I will never understand how to get wealthy in this game, it jsut doesnt click with me.

This video is a pretty foolproof strategy that should work at basically any point in the league and requires no knowledge. The strategy does require having a bunch of premium tabs, but those tabs essentially absolve you from having to figure out what is valuable and what is worthless (which, as a newbie myself, is HARD to know because things can be valuable or worthless for truly arcane reasons).

Setec_Astronomy
Mar 10, 2003

Sinteres posted:

I know I need to add a movement skill

I haven't looked at the pastebin, but this is HUGE in terms of surviving traps -- being able to jump past saws or skip traps by jumping over gaps makes these sections much much easier (I still die).

Setec_Astronomy
Mar 10, 2003

Vasudus posted:

Sell em in batches of 10 for a slight premium. People will buy em.

Even larger batches will pull an even higher premium -- been watching BalorMage by hundreds of scarabs at once for multiple ex. If you're buying that many you find one of these fractured map guys and basically buy them out of scarabs. ~~ the circle of life ~~

Setec_Astronomy
Mar 10, 2003

A few days back I sold off my Fire BV stuff (way, way too rippy) and built up a Mjolner Cyclone build loosely based off of ItsYoji's guide. I'm really happy with how it's turned out; in particular, it seems like The Stampede + The Torrent's Reclamation is an overlooked combo. Once I got to the point that I could equip that belt without messing up my resists, it made everything way, way smoother. It feels like a slightly slower version of the Fire BV build but it doesn't instantly keel over in a stiff breeze.

Still need to find a Saffell's Frame with the "phys taken as fire" corruption; there's one for sale right now but the guy wants 10ex which is completely unreasonable (he didn't even quality it! the rolls aren't even very good!). I've been corrupting a few myself but no luck yet. That would add ~15% less phys damage taken which would really put the tankiness over the top.

Build here: https://www.pathofexile.com/account/view-profile/charleyc/characters ; character is "TremendousBeef".

Setec_Astronomy
Mar 10, 2003

I find the XP penalty deeply unpleasant even when it doesn't have a meaningful effect on my progress. The deaths in this game already feel bad enough given the terrible visual clarity and lag.

Setec_Astronomy
Mar 10, 2003

Erulisse posted:

gently caress maven fight.
It's ok as an endgame pinnacle boss, not ok as one of progression lock fights.

I leveled a bosser (phys traps) over the weekend so I could clear out some of the Atlas progression that would take forever on my CF champ. Did Sirus/Shaper/Elder/Uber Elder without major issues, though Uber Elder was close.

I just burned two Maven's Writs dying at or near the final memory game. I lost at least 4 out of the 12 portals to insta-gibs on rejoining the fight (I know now what I was supposed to do, but gently caress that).

I don't think I have the will to keep going with the league. I was having a TON of fun prior to this and was planning to go to 36/40 challenges. Maven (and burning nearly 2 ex on permission to practice her) has completely sucked away my interest in continuing. Gonna go download Elden Ring I think.

Setec_Astronomy
Mar 10, 2003

Big Mad Drongo posted:

Strict isn't nearly strict enough beyond yellow maps at most, and I say this as a magpie who picks up every bit of shiny floor loot for my nest of sale tabs.

I really like Balormage's strict filter once I'm in red maps. Using it, I essentially never end up with more than an inventory worth of loot, and I happily pick up ~90% of what makes it through the filter. Almost all of the remaining ~10% are crappy uniques that share a base with something very valuable. The colors are nice too.

Setec_Astronomy
Mar 10, 2003

Fister Roboto posted:

I found another map mod that is extremely annoying for my build (RF) with Wandering Path + hat nodes: chance to avoid elemental ailments. Normally this isn't much of a problem because most of the ailments I inflict are from constant sources (chill and shock from skitterbots, scorch from boots). Mobs can't avoid them because they're constantly being inflicted by them. But when their ailment avoidance reaches 100%, they become completely immune, just like for players. And so this completely fucks up my clear, because the explode dot from the boots only happens on scorched enemies.

I'm also running RF with wandering path + hat nodes and I haven't noticed this but will look out for it; certainly some maps feel slower than others.

Are you all tatted up for explosions? I have 20% explode chance from tattoos so that may explain the difference.

Setec_Astronomy
Mar 10, 2003

Had about 70 divines sitting in the bank so I thought I'd finally try my hand at crafting some nice items for profit. Was looking at making some good LA quivers and found a plan that should be relatively profitable.

End result: I now have about 60 divines sitting in the bank and zero quivers, and I haven't run any maps this morning so that's probably another 5-10 divines of opportunity cost. Crafters are made of stronger stuff than me, I think.

I did learn one cool trick, though: did you know that if you annul an item with "Cannot Roll Attack Mods" on it, it's a 100% chance to remove "Cannot Roll Attack Mods" even if there are 2 other non-Attack mods on the item? At least that's what my 4 attempts taught me before I gave up on salvaging this piece of poo poo quiver.

Setec_Astronomy
Mar 10, 2003

I've been working for the past day on putting together gear for character number 2 of the league.

Some streamer must have popularized a build today that uses the Flesh/Flame combo that I wanted (Vile Bastion). It's gone from 2 div to 30 div for the pair in the last few hours. I didn't buy them last night because I was still sorting out exactly how I wanted to tweak the jewels on the build. Alas!

I'm torn on whether I want to try to wait out the price spike. I can afford the 30 div but it's half of my money and was going to go to nicer cluster jewels.

Setec_Astronomy
Mar 10, 2003

GenSpecific posted:

Lol streamers absolutely ruin everything.

The saddest part is that I spent ages reworking the build to get full ailment avoidance, in large part in order to not have to get the much more expensive Frigid Wake Flesh/Flame combo... which is now the same price as Vile Bastion.

Setec_Astronomy
Mar 10, 2003

Stux posted:

spec more fully in harvest and then pick up any of the "duplicates lifeforce" sextants

For this to pay off I think you need to be seriously juicing your map for pack size and IIQ and possibly trying to use Crop Rotation to do degenerate things. The "duplicates lifeforce" sextants run from 60-85c depending on the plant color, so 15-21c per map or so. If you're using that sextant you need to be forcing harvest somehow; the "contains a sacred grove" sextants are another 45c and the map device option (using Seventh Gate) is 12c per map.

So we're talking a minimum of 25c per map of investment to duplicate one color of lifeforce.

I'm juicing my maps pretty hard for the above-mentioned stats (including running wandering path with all the "hat nodes," using the "rare monster pack size" sextant, and throwing rusted scarabs into the mulcher for Growing Hordes) and the average map probably produces 30-45c worth of lifeforce -- but that's picking biggest plot rather than focusing a single color. I could focus one color with some extra nodes, but it still seems hard to make this better than break-even.

Would love to hear details if you've really forced this hard; I haven't even tried the sextants because they seem like a break-even deal.

Setec_Astronomy
Mar 10, 2003

Setec_Astronomy posted:

I've been working for the past day on putting together gear for character number 2 of the league.

Some streamer must have popularized a build today that uses the Flesh/Flame combo that I wanted (Vile Bastion). It's gone from 2 div to 30 div for the pair in the last few hours. I didn't buy them last night because I was still sorting out exactly how I wanted to tweak the jewels on the build. Alas!

I'm torn on whether I want to try to wait out the price spike. I can afford the 30 div but it's half of my money and was going to go to nicer cluster jewels.

Update: got the pair for 17.5d total. Good enough. The build moves forward!

Setec_Astronomy
Mar 10, 2003

Einwand posted:

A thing of note for the harvest duplication sextants is that they duplicate lifeforce from all 3 colours, the only difference is which crop colour it forces one of each plot to be.

Oh my god, this explains why I thought the math didn't work out on the sextant price. Thank you!

Setec_Astronomy
Mar 10, 2003

Finished putting together my new vortex ignite build and hopped into a map. Everything worked but man, this sure doesn't FEEL like 10M DPS.

Then I realize I haven't done lab; I'm still a witch.

Setec_Astronomy
Mar 10, 2003

No Safe Word posted:

wait, you hadn't done ANY labs before maps?

I did the Hollow Palm twink leveling setup; there's no benefit from labs for that so I skipped them to do at zero risk later... and then forgot.

nexous posted:

Do you have a PoB for this? Im cold dot and thinking about making the switch

Here you go: https://pobb.in/-obj5Jp6OKpv. Includes lots of notes on what I spent to buy the various pieces and some possible upgrades, and shows the level 90 and 100 intended skill trees.

Note that this is as-yet mostly untested. I'm still worried about possible mana issues (not reservation-wise, but regen-wise, especially vs siphoners).

Edit: BTW the PoB doesn't have the right flasks besides the Cinderswallow. This was branched from someone else's PoB and they had seriously poo poo flasks that I never updated.

Setec_Astronomy fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Sep 6, 2023

Setec_Astronomy
Mar 10, 2003

Setec_Astronomy posted:

Note that this is as-yet mostly untested. I'm still worried about possible mana issues (not reservation-wise, but regen-wise, especially vs siphoners).

Verdict on the Vortex Ignite build: it works and feels good! It's a lot like RF but slightly less tanky (i.e. it is possible to die) but way more damage and quite a bit more mobility.

Coming from RF, it feels a lot more viable to get 7 deli rewards on T16 wandering path hat node maps.

The big decision now for the build is what I want to do at level 94 when I can eventually path to one more jewel socket. Originally was thinking of using Warrior's Tale to dupe a bunch of explode and global defense tattoos, but it might actually be nicer to slot in a Watcher's Eye -- bleed immunity when Malevolence is active sure seems like some nice QoL.

Setec_Astronomy
Mar 10, 2003

I just realized that I could probably replace the majority of small int nodes on my tree with the 3% increased global defenses tattoo and get another ~250 ES and ~7k armour.

These things are like 10c a pop, so like 100c for the gains above. What a steal!

Setec_Astronomy
Mar 10, 2003

pixaal posted:

Nothing wrong with getting some so-so rolled uniques for a few days you can always resell them. I bought corrupted Koam gloves for 20c the fist week, finally go better rolls and uncorrupted earlier this week resold my old pair for 10c.

Something that surprised me when returning to the game this season is that, with tainted currency, corrupted uniques are in some cases better than their uncorrupted versions -- easier/cheaper to 30-quality, easier to six-link (obviously not a thing with gloves), and of course you can get some sweet implicits. Even if you're not buying the perfect implicit, a 5% increased maximum life implicit is a nice boost.

The biggest downsides I can see to having corrupted gear are:
- Sockets are more expensive to color properly, especially if you need a lot of a single color;
- 4-socket / 4-link is a little more expensive than uncorrupted (but 6-socket/link is massively cheaper);
- Stats can't be divined (only matters for the absolute highest-end stuff);
- Base can't be sacred orbed (fairly negligible in most cases).

Setec_Astronomy
Mar 10, 2003

pixaal posted:

Kaom gloves turn life regen into rage, voll helm gives life regen if you don't have any corrupted gear. By the time I can think of wearing corrupted gear I'll be looking for perfect kaom with a good implicit. Assuming I even play this league to that point.

I see! That's an extremely relevant downside I didn't know about. Makes a lot of sense.

Setec_Astronomy
Mar 10, 2003

Rough times crafting a +2 gems rune dagger. I've lost the 1-in-3 chance to remove the wrong mod with Harvest "add a Cold mod and remove a random non-influenced mod" twice in a row now. Each attempt costs ~8 divine of materials (1 for alts/augs, 3 for metacrafts, 3 for yellow lifeforce and 1.2 for sacred lifeforce) plus it's hundreds-to-thousands of alt spams to get back to the expensive step.

That's 16 divines deleted so far on 1-in-9 bad luck. Ugh.

Setec_Astronomy
Mar 10, 2003

Setec_Astronomy posted:

That's 16 divines deleted so far on 1-in-9 bad luck. Ugh.

People are selling these things for 17d on trade. This was a craft not worth attempting, from either a time or risk perspective. Yes, expected cost is 12d so you save 5d in expectation but I would pay 5d to not use 2000 alts and get RSI.

Edit: and that doesn't include the 4d base.

Double edit: Yeah I spent 17 of my remaining 18d buying one. Feels great.

Setec_Astronomy fucked around with this message at 05:58 on Sep 8, 2023

Setec_Astronomy
Mar 10, 2003

Tarnop posted:

To do:

Get into crafting
Continue buying everything

Honestly don't take from this that crafting is a bad idea. I craft everything I reasonably can for my builds and it saves time and currency and is a TON of fun.

But I think I'm over these crazy endgame crafts -- they're too time-intensive and too high-risk.

Setec_Astronomy
Mar 10, 2003

totalnewbie posted:

Just in case anyone didn't notice, that is a synth base which means you can't start with a fracture suffix.

Those amulets are MUCH easier to craft starting from a fracture suffix.

Alt spam for +1 all
Multimod, prefix lock, + flat cold to attack. Aug cold forces +1 cold.

Then finish suffixes.

BTW for suffixes, you can force crit multi with an aug crit if you have crit chance. 1/6 to hit T1. If you miss and want to restart, you can lock pref and scour to start again. It's more expensive but you don't risk bricking your craft. That may or may not be worth it to you.

That's very similar to the process for the rune dagger I was doing, starting with a DoT multi fractured suffix. Multimod + cannot roll attack is 3 div, Aug cold is 4 div (because yellow juice), and the spam accounts for the remaining div (in expectation).

Not sure how many div for the RSI physical therapy from spamming 4000 alts.

Setec_Astronomy fucked around with this message at 07:13 on Sep 8, 2023

Setec_Astronomy
Mar 10, 2003

In better news, this pushed me to sell off my RF gear from my first character so that I wouldn't be dead broke. Turns out the Replica Dragonflight that I bought like a week ago for 3d had skyrocketed in price and sold quickly at 22d.

Setec_Astronomy
Mar 10, 2003

ist posted:

I actually changed that keystone to another with the tattoo so that I could allocate it for +1 proj without the damage loss.

That's an awesome use of the keystone swap tattoo that I had not even considered.

Setec_Astronomy
Mar 10, 2003

Vortex Ignite CI Elementalist build just hit 98 and feels great. I tweaked a bunch of small things about the passive tree and covered myself in tattoos. Only died twice from level 90 to 98 despite running some pretty juicy maps (T16 + deli + all hat nodes). Updated PoB is here if anyone is interested: https://pobb.in/CTwVKglC0eFu

I've been farming the breach strategy that Grimro popularized and it's been very profitable and a ton of fun. Despite a price drop following Grim's video, Chayula breachstones still sell for more than 1/4 of a div and you average well over a breachstone per map with this strategy. I tweaked a few things from his original guide -- dropped beyond, took all hat nodes, and juiced up delirium a bit more with some of the faster rewards stuff.

I slept on the Niko speed tech for too long; Packed with Energy looked great but I didn't want to pay for a bunch of scarabs for a bit of move speed. Turns out that (a) it's worth it for the speed, (b) you more than make your money back if you spec Mining Byproducts, and (c) you can use Niko compasses which are cheaper than scarabs if you don't need the fourth sextant slot.

Setec_Astronomy
Mar 10, 2003

Setec_Astronomy posted:

Vortex Ignite CI Elementalist build just hit 98 and feels great. I tweaked a bunch of small things about the passive tree and covered myself in tattoos. Only died twice from level 90 to 98 despite running some pretty juicy maps (T16 + deli + all hat nodes). Updated PoB is here if anyone is interested: https://pobb.in/CTwVKglC0eFu

Alright, I shelled out another 14d to get better rolls on the chest and shield: https://pobb.in/J1Vc2dS6TwJf. I think this is as far as I can take this build without getting into some absurd double corruptions, a 40d+ Watcher's Eye, or a Mageblood. Gonna try to farm for the latter but inevitably get bored once I've saved up about half the price.

e: I lied; found another simple improvement. Turns out the same suffix effect can't stack from two different flasks, which I probably should have guessed. So now I have 14% increased movespeed instead of a do-nothing second armour suffix.

Setec_Astronomy fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Sep 9, 2023

Setec_Astronomy
Mar 10, 2003

Frank Frank posted:

E: Hit 93. Forgot how much I enjoy heist. Did a grand heist and had a bunch of weird gems drop that I can hopefully sell. Not sure what to buy next.

I too love Heist. I wish it wasn't so much setup to actually run profitably. I keep thinking that I'd like to run a blueprint or two and then realizing that it's going to be 5 hours of running contracts and making gear before I get there.

Setec_Astronomy
Mar 10, 2003

lovely Treat posted:

Could somebody link me an atlas tree for legion, expedition, harvest and blue altars

"Just take all the Legion/Expedition/Harvest/Altar nodes" seems viable: https://poeplanner.com/a/HFR

I added in the best "+1 map tier" nodes but this strategy probably still won't sustain a given map. There are a few potential modifications to consider:

- I took Extreme Archaeology here because I hate reading; you could spec out of this and instead take the rest of the Expedition ring (which you have plenty of remaining points for);

- If you need extra time for Legions you could add in Protracted Battle;

- You could take The Seventh Gate so you can force Harvest for 12c per map. This would free some points that you could use for better sustain and/or for something fun like Shrines, e.g.: https://poeplanner.com/a/HFG (You could drop the IIQ/IIR circle from this one if you don't have enough points or if you want the rest of the Shrine nodes).

Edit: Despite talking it up yesterday I missed the actual (IMO) best option, which is adding in Packed With Energy + Mining Byproducts for super speed, damage, and tons of free resonators: https://poeplanner.com/a/HFA. You'll have to force Niko via either a Scarab or a Sextant but it's completely worth it and you'll appreciate the extra speed and damage for Legion in particular.

Setec_Astronomy fucked around with this message at 17:05 on Sep 10, 2023

Setec_Astronomy
Mar 10, 2003

theshim posted:

I've still never seen that one :argh:

I got exactly one so far this league. It was the last altar on the map (with 0 monsters remaining) and dropped a single divine. Better than nothing I guess.

Setec_Astronomy
Mar 10, 2003

lovely Treat posted:

Awesome, thank you

I just realized (while watching someone else's Legion strat video) that I missed the most important set of Legion nodes: the "Emblematic" notable on the upper right of the tree. You have enough points to add this into the original tree I posted without any issues.

Setec_Astronomy
Mar 10, 2003

I've run exactly two matches of ToTA just to try it out and get one of the easy challenges. I'll probably go back in for a couple more challenges but the mode holds zero draw for me.

The mode just generally doesn't interact with any of the aspects of PoE I find enjoyable. The gameplay isn't engaging and doesn't care about your gear in any meaningful way, so there's no excitement of improving your build. There are also no real floor drops, just match rewards, so zero dopamine.

Setec_Astronomy
Mar 10, 2003

Dr. Mantis Toboggan posted:

Here's my POB: https://pobb.in/GUivLrmlhBUg

I am also considering one or more of the following to help out with Chaos Damage:
- Swapping out the Gold Flask (30% IIR is not that much in the scheme of things) for an Amethyst flask
- Swapping a small cluster for the endurance on hit cluster and swapping the Timeless jewel to have +37 chaos res on both nodes; this would put me at (88/88/88/28 instead of 90/90/90/-9)
- Swapping a few points around for the Chaos Res/reduced curse effect wheel
- Messing around with the max res tattoos if possible

This is a really cool build. One thing that stands out to me: you could put an Honoured Tattoo of the Mountain on a +30 str notable to get +1 endurance charges along with +1 max fire res. This this gives you a bit more wiggle room with the max res if you want to drop the Prismatic Skin wheel (and replace with a few more +1 res tattoos), and either gives you an extra endurance charge or lets you drop your current +1 endurance charge node.

Edit: A Warrior's Tale in the jewel socket next to Unwavering Stance can get you +6% max fire res; along with the tattoo above this is enough to drop Prismatic Skin and both small cluster jewels. This is net neutral on skill points but gives you two free jewel sockets to work with, which could be +26% Chaos Res (and a bunch of other stats) or a Flesh/Flame combo (Unstoppable for max zoom, or Unrelenting for more survivability and 20% Chaos res while at max endurance).

Setec_Astronomy fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Sep 12, 2023

Setec_Astronomy
Mar 10, 2003

So I've been jamming Breach (Chayula sextant + Breach sextant + Gilded Breach scarab + Breach on map device, plus some side hustles) with all hat nodes for ages now and it's been solid profits but it's starting to get a little stale.

I'm curious whether anyone here has tried running juiced Breach as above but using Wandering Path + all hat / IIQ / IIR nodes. It seems like it's probably worse (primarily due to dropping Power Struggle and Eve of Invasion) but I wonder whether the increased IIQ / IIR make up for the lower density and losing some boss hands, especially w.r.t. div card drops. Would also free up a bunch of points that would let me spec into Harvest and (more) Delirium for a bit of variety.

Anyone tested out something similar?

Edit: Something like this: https://poeplanner.com/a/TZN

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Setec_Astronomy
Mar 10, 2003

Hooplah posted:

I'm doing something similar minus wandering path and I'm wondering about the little xesht-ula wheel. do you think that one's worth it without WP? Is it something worth doing if i'm not using the sextants to force chayula/uul-netol? the notable doesn't seem super impactful, but I've never actually played with it. Thoughts?

Xesht-Ula is pretty good -- in particular the hands drop a ton of splinters (split across all 5 breachlords).

BTW I do recommend Chayula sextants and gilded breach scarabs. You can buy the compasses in bulk on TFT for ~20c per compass -- 5c per map -- and the scarab is another 7c or so per map. I've been averaging about 1.5 Chayula breachstones per map from a non-WP strategy (namely this tree: https://poeplanner.com/a/Tg6), which works out to a little over 85c in breachstones alone. It's completely worth it.