Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Captain Foo)
How do you feel about Archnemesis mods on rares?
Incredibly fun, I love them!
They're alright
Needs more work
Almost as much fun as shoving a red hot nail under my fingernail
Other (post below)
View Results

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
Haven't played this in years, but just got a brand witch to level 50 and it's been fun af

Can I get a guild invite? Seasonal name is JockMaster

Herstory Begins Now fucked around with this message at 01:27 on Nov 4, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003

100 degrees Calcium posted:

Thanks, folks.

I'm enjoying the game for the most part. I'm in Act 2 and it's scratching that old Diablo 2 itch quite nicely, while also being really fun in its own right. I am kind of having a hard time wrapping my head around the economy. Diablo 2 may or may not have had something like this, I never really played it online much, but in this game it feels like it's critical that I invest myself in buying and selling loot rather than finding the poo poo I intend to use.

At a certain point, but it's not vital until endgame basically, or if you pick some really gear dependent build.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
Yeah poe is almost entirely about making mistakes now and learning what they are so you don't make them next time. Plus you can still have fun with totally hosed up builds and literally it feels like each time i restart I go through everything 50% faster than the time before.

Basically: if you feel like playing, play. Stuff is super cheap right now if you want to try things out, too.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003

Wuxi posted:

Didnt expect 90k viewers though, colour me suprised

over 107k now. ARPG players tend to be pretty diehard so it's not too surprising

Safari Disco Lion posted:

He's done a bunch of videos on men's fashion and clothing and then he wears that wrinkled jacket that doesn't fit and those shoes and socks that don't go with anything.

There's a whole thing in esports fashion/makeup/hair where for people who already have a look that is pretty disheveled they just try to make that way more of a thing

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
lmfao holy poo poo, this is hilarious

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003

Scoss posted:

I know a lot of people are amused by it, but it's honestly super offputting how weird the PoE community and GGG is about Diablo. It's embarrassing console wars poo poo.

It's because 100% of the poe playerbase has played diablo and because 100% of the devs have played diablo and because they've been deliberately competing with what they perceived to be an eventual credible threat to their success from a diablo sequel that doesn't appear to have any chance of meaningfully threatening them now. But that fear helped them own for a long time

Like I've got a lot of hours in diablo over a lot of years but idk how tf blizz is going to even begin to compete with poe

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003

Acht posted:

This was amazing. They are, literally, the best.
Did I catch it correctly that they actually have the two guys from Blizzard North? Brevik and someone else? How amazing that must be for them, wow.

There to speak, not on the team. Though i believe brevik consulted for them at various points over the past couple years, which in retrospect makes a ton of sense.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003

Scoss posted:

I'm not even remotely going to defend Blizzard over their recent controversies, but this attitude has been prevalent for years.

If the argument is that Diablo 3 and RoS are these "objectively garbage" products then we're probably never going to agree. I've enjoyed D3 and PoE and they both excel in different ways.

ROS is fun but it has the depth of a browser clicker game and is 99% complete outside of farming up slightly higher stats after the first 6-10 hours per season. For that it's fun, but it definitely did nothing at all to move the arpg genre forward. Plus a lot of the criticism towards activision blizzard at this point is that no one really expects them to come out with anything novel, or especially polished, or really much other than the biggest microtransaction cash grab possible. Not after the waves of firings and the ascendancy of activision execs and the departures of almost everyone involved with old blizzard.

That they are in competition is just a fact of life. It originally wasn't very adversarial (as ggg obviously openly and implicitly loves the diablo series) until blizzard went and just completely botched everything to do with the arpg market and ggg just wisely seized the opportunity to grab up some diablo exiles

Ghostlight posted:

poe definitely competes with diablo but tbh i don't think diablo competes with poe at all. people who want an arpg can choose between them but there's definitely people who just want blizzard-style polish and depth in the world they're familiar with and when they're bored of diablo they don't go looking for another arpg of the same style, they just go play other games until the next season/expansion.

Yeah I mostly agree. I think the competition used to be more mutual, but everyone I know who used to double dip now just plays almost entirely POE, especially because blizz has only added content to D3 once in like 4 years (outside of just changing number values on items).

I do wonder about the second part of that because I think most people come to POE after specifically looking for something else to do in the arpg genre after finishing yet another season of diablo

Herstory Begins Now fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Nov 15, 2019

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003

Tenzarin posted:

The action rpg market is far larger than iosometic rpg games.

You found the weirdest way to misread that: Blizzard pissed off their arpg fans, not destroyed the market for arpgs obviously. Clearly the arpg market is happily existing without any entries from blizzard in years and years.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
both the shapeshifting and the summoning stuff is very much them appealing to diablo fans/old genre ideals. Personally I don't get why either was so beloved, but arpg players really, really seem to like both.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
Hell yeah this dude just looks like someone you'd trust with arpg design

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003

Elentor posted:

I'm interested in every word he says but he simultaneously makes me want to fall asleep while uttering them.

So basically, yes.

Considering I both enjoy the hell out of poe but actively fall asleep a ton playing it because it triggers my narcolepsy super hard, yeah that sounds about right

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
Can't believe I missed this first time around

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
Is it a panel with brevik? That going to be streamed?

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
I played like 200+ hours before I bought a single tab. The game is actually a lot less overwhelming when you physically don't have the option of packratting everything POE throws at you

Herstory Begins Now fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Nov 16, 2019

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003

Papercut posted:

I feel like I need to watch at 25% speed just to be able to tell what he's doing

e:

Watching this deep dive is crazy. Stuff like clicking on the waypoint, then opening the minimap while your character is walking to the waypoint so that you can position your mouse cursor over the correct icon, then closing the minimap so that it reopens when your character hits the waypoint so you can instantly click to teleport. There are so many little optimizations like that.

This is a common thing with RTS pros where they're hotkeying between locations and almost all the mouse movements are anticipating the new screen position. And yeah it looks completely insane

E: I checked and yeah he used to play broodwar, plus he's like years deep into POE speedrunning on top of it

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
If the Einhar opener was just like 5-10 minutes it would've been really solid. Instead the dude got handed a lovely situation but handled it like a professional.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
Anyone have suggestions for strong but unpopular builds? Preferably off-meta or not insanely expensive. Preferably way more involved than playing a necro

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003

whypick1 posted:

Gem level has nothing to do with the amount of sockets it has though.

Sure is a lot of speculation on something we probably won't see for another year itt.

Most likely it will, you'll probably start seeing 6 link gems around the same level you currently see 6 socket/link items

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003

Elentor posted:

Still a bit on Mud Flats - here's a better example of the weak L-Tree: Notice how everything is fixed.

As soon as the position of the nests is determined you can immediately turn NW fearlessly.

Interesting, thanks for doing this. It seems like they do something extremely similar to how D2 generated maps (generally all maps were on a rectangle that would have parts cut out and numerous pre-designed chunks used for notable map features. D2 probably was more random afaict because they seemed to allow greater variety in location for the set pieces in each zone, but the procedural process was more or less the same, but with the bounds of the map better concealed. In D2, if you follow the edges of the map, once you look for the rectangle shaped world it was impossible not to see.

I'm not super familiar with POE's map generation system, but a rule I've noticed it often follows is counter intuitive. Generally, you can solve any maze/labyrynth or just navigate something complicated where the entrance/exits are on an external wall on the same plane by taking all right or left turns. That will solve everything systematically. From what I can tell POE maps are almost always designed so that if you go straight down the middle and avoid hugging the walls that you will stay almost perfectly on course. It's interesting and obviously not random. The fixed start and ends almost definitely reinforce this, but it also makes sense because almost every non-boss fight quest objective isn't entirely on the periphery. Idk though, the layouts are interested and I enjoy the pseudo randomness of them as it works well.

Herstory Begins Now fucked around with this message at 11:43 on Nov 26, 2019

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003

This is legendary and I'm happy for him. Dude has the right attitude to do well at literally anything he sets his mind to

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
My lovely necro has like a level 27 animate guardian or whatever with supports slotted in and i've never summoned it a single time because lol why even both it's a necro in 3.8 everything instantly dies

You can literally just get a tabula rasa or even a 5 link, put zombies in it and kill it all the way to red maps.

Herstory Begins Now fucked around with this message at 11:13 on Dec 3, 2019

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003

nerox posted:

https://clips.twitch.tv/LazyEntertainingTeaCclamChamp

GGG sent Tyty a tabula that they all signed. :lol:

That's pretty awesome and dude definitely deserves the recognition even if his meme game got outshined this year by tie23

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003

Patrick Spens posted:

So did tie23 do this today, or did he just have this saved for when someone broke the world record?

Havok was doing the runs on his stream last night, Tie probably just got motivated to do it after seeing him pull it off.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
Been messing around with some skelly setup that shits out like 8 figures of damage but there's one big downside

Delving

Mapping

Bossing

I'm not sure if bossing is super viable on a build where you can't even see the bosses

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003

Bemused Observer posted:

Could you link some details on that build? I love plaing Path of Touhou!

I took my zombiemancer, popped in the gem that converts your skellies into skelly mages (wretched dead I think?), kept the barons set up at 1001 strength for healing from zombie melees (they're in a 5l or something, idk it doesn't matter) and the skellies are 6l in a tabula got a 4 gem movement setup and a cyclone + cast while channeling + curse + flesh offering for clear speed (bone offering for tankiness). blood magic spectres and holy relic on head with a free spot for something else.

It's inspired by this http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2130105

If I did something to proc EO more consistently it would be substantially more ridiculous, too. That said, it's not a meme that you literally can't see anything so that's basically the hard limitation of it. You probably could make the projectiles fewer and stronger, but why even open path of exile at that point

Herstory Begins Now fucked around with this message at 10:53 on Dec 12, 2019

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
7/10 I can still see the ground somewhat

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
The key to the league mechanic is to never back track for parts, just spawn them if you get the parts on the way

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003

Tulip posted:

As I was consecrating my path to Innocence, I got an 800% facebreakers, and then as I was consecrating my way to the first Kitava fight, I got an Exalt.

I killed kitava, put those in stash, and closed the game to think about what the gently caress I'm doing.

I feel this, 30 hours in I had a couple exalts and like 200+ chaos and a full baron activated necro geared up and okay now what, wtf do I do from here??

Turns out I'm making a summoner with a playstyle of blood-magic fueled literally non-stop shield charging that is cast on hitting novas everywhere I go until my minions following close behind steamroll the leftovers.

It's definitely a thing for now

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
It's kinda crazy how much of a character's both durability and killing power/clear speed comes from jewels and flasks.

I think from now on any time I reroll I'm literally buying all the jewels first and everything else after.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
Coc with HH would be completely insane. If you put 80-100 ex into it without hh it will already trivialize basically everything

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
summon raging spirit counts as a spell, that wand definitely does apply to SRS even if he'll be finding random rares better than it everywhere

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
Afaik, and someone will correct me I'm sure, the game has ended at Act 2, Act 3, Act 4, Act 5, and Act 10 throughout it's history.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003

Vasudus posted:

I think metamorph is a dumb, barely tolerable league gimmick. The new endgame however is amazing and was the entire reason I stuck around longer than usual. gently caress Elder blobs.

Edit: I never trade maps

Yeah it's definitely not imaginative or original or game changing in any way, but idk it works well enough. It's basically like a cashier just tossing a handful of candy in your bag right before you leave the store

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
Path of Exile: Covid Quarantine Delerium

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
god i hope they liberate us from this cluster jewel madness with the next league. Like the things own, but good lord was letting them stack a horrible idea from a balance standpoint

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
A ton of the forum guides are bullshit or profoundly optimistic or are showcased with like 400ex of gear. I highly recommend posting builds you're considering playing in here.

If you've got a bit of game knowledge, seeing what people are playing on streams is a good way to get a feel for what builds actually work and what builds are just forums bs (you potentially run into the same 400ex of gear thing here, but with how popular ssf is, it's less common). Also poeninja is super useful if you're trying to figure out how people are making builds work.

Jinnigan posted:

Some pointers for spotting a bullshit build guide:

- level 100 tree (90-95 is plausible)
- 113% life (like i said, should be ~150% or above, ideally close to 200 for melee)
- even with all that, the POB only puts up 1m DPS against non-boss enemies. when you switch it over to Shaper, it drops to... 400k. you are looking for builds that are putting up 3m+ against shaper
- this guide doesn't do it but a lot of guides tick off a bunch of boxes in PoB that they absolutely won't have up all the time. Frenzy and Power charges without ways of generating them in long boss fights, always on full life, tailwind, onslaught, unholy might, 50 rage, etc etc.

Yeah the amount of lovely builds out there is one of the real weaknesses of poe (especially if people are playing HC, in which case lovely builds are supremely cruel). I truly don't know how someone new to the game is meant to find something good beyond just getting lucky with one of the guides or knowing people who know the game. Granted someone new probably is going to gently caress up the tree a bit, and not actually get the right flasks or jewels set up for the build, but still getting a good build 80% right is going to be vastly stronger and way more fun than most of the garbage builds that make up the guides on the forums.

Herstory Begins Now fucked around with this message at 03:17 on Apr 26, 2020

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
If I could only use one hand, I'd stack a fuckton of life regen, use flasks pretty much purely for buffs/status removal and just toss them on a flask macro. Once you hit 8-10% life regen with a solid life pool/armor/with some +max resist and/or block your version of flasking becomes just backtracking away from damage for a couple of seconds if you take a big hit. Also makes bossing a lot easier because you don't have to worry much about life flasking.

Only drawback to this is it limits what you can play a bit because to get that much defense and still have good damage, you have to use something fairly meta for your offense. Still, it's easy to get I think 4-5% regen off the tree and it's a sufficiently unpopular mod that you can pick up high regen roll gear cheaply.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
That's making it sound way more complicated than it needs to be:

don't make builds around uniques. make builds around getting a fuckton of life% on tree (or just copy the es tree spine off poeninja if it's an es league). Stack a couple defensive layers, add a pertinent aura or two, get a curse on hit corrupt or gem setup.

boom you got a viable build

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003

Vasudus posted:

The real important parts of Sirus are threefold:

1) Understand how the storms work - they're not random
2) Keep him on screen at all times, but especially in the last phase
3) Get a corrupted blood immunity jewel *somewhere* because it'll save your rear end during the spinning beam phase

If you have corrupted blood immunity then the spinning beams are a lot easier, but they're still dangerous because they apply a snare to you which makes moving out of say a Die beam a lot harder.

they also apply shock and ignite in very rapid succession