Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Captain Foo)
How do you feel about Archnemesis mods on rares?
Incredibly fun, I love them!
They're alright
Needs more work
Almost as much fun as shoving a red hot nail under my fingernail
Other (post below)
View Results

WTF BEES
Feb 26, 2004

I think I just hit a creature?
So this league is the first time I've played PoE, ever. I tried once a little while back but the game looked like rear end on my TV.

I'm running a necro with what seems like allll the pets. I'm running 3 golems (carrion, chaos, and stone from the hammer), zombies (with ghost support gem for more dudes), skeletons, specters, and raging spirits as my left click. Also, due to the str requirement of golem hammer, I'm also running that weird pet you make out of gear, because why not?

For support I use the resist aura (to trigger the 30% dmg buff from the necro tree), spirit offering for even more resists and chaos dmg for the pets, and what ever the curse is that lowers chaos resist on enemies paired up with a blasphemy gem so I just run around and don't have to cast it.

So a couple questions. I'm HURTING for more gem slots, but gambling with orbs to get 6 slots and then more gambling to connect them right, then MORE gambling to get the right colors gets irritating. Is that just the nature of the game? If it is that's perfectly fine, I just don't want to waste a poo poo ton of orbs trying to get a 6 slot robe in all the right colors etc. if there's an easier way.

Next, what's the limit on things that pets can "trigger"? I liked Harold of Agony, but the pets won't proc the pet which makes me sad. I assume it has to be a direct damage spell cast directly by you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WTF BEES
Feb 26, 2004

GoneWithTheTornado posted:

1.2k fusings needed on average to 6l something,

Oh? Oh. Oooooooooooh that's why it's felt like pouring all my orbs down a deep, dark well. Now I feel less bad about my 4 links.

WTF BEES
Feb 26, 2004

So I'm still pretty new to the game and just got one of those mirror things. Am I rich now?

WTF BEES
Feb 26, 2004

I ended up giving it to a friend who's completely nuts over this game to flip on my behalf. He seemed super happy to just have the drat thing in his inventory. So what should I be looking to get with my new hyperwealth? If I can get some neat necro/ranger stuff out of it I'll be happy.

WTF BEES
Feb 26, 2004

So I just started playing this league and, as some of you may recall, got a mirror to drop almost immediately and was thus "set for life" from the start with my summoner. Got through the story, and then kinda just plowed my way through maps, Uber Elder, etc. but I feel the experience has warped my expectations on how fast progression should go in this game.

Is the usual experience, especially for a MOSTLY self-found character, much slower? I haven't bothered learning all the ins and outs of trading in this game (had a friend of mine broker the mirror, much to his joy) so for my second guy, a crazy chieftain build with exploding HoP dudes and golems, the going is much slower. He doesn't feel weak by any means, he just doesn't have 10s of ex worth of kit in every slot, so he's kinda stalled out at around map tier 8.

Having said that, he's only lvl80 so there's still a good amount of power to be gained from the tree. Is this pretty much normal? Finish story, plink away at low maps for levels and gear, and work your way up to yellow and red maps over time?

I'm also having a hell of a time finishing the last ascedency dungeon. The last trial has a bad habit of one shotting me, even though the rest of the dungeon and previous two fights therein can't really touch me.

WTF BEES
Feb 26, 2004

Craig K posted:

you getting all the darkshrines? Lab Traps Disabled In Aspirant's Trial makes it a lot less stressful

https://www.poelab.com/kvow1

Well, now I feel a fool. I always just went straight for the trials.

WTF BEES
Feb 26, 2004

So after finding out about, and getting all the darkshrines in the last labyrinth I easily one-shot the last boss. Really glad I said something, made it a hell of a lot easier.

WTF BEES
Feb 26, 2004

So I BASICALLY play SSF, just not officially (I like being able to share my stash between characters). Last season was my first full season, managed to get a Necro to 94, beat Sirus once. I still probably don't understand maybe a 3rd of the game's mechanics, but I think I did pretty well for myself. Crafting is still half a mystery to me but I managed to make myself a couple solid pieces (wand with minion damage, minion atk speed, spell damage, and some other good stuff I forget).

I ran a goofy physical/chaos minion build of my own design (I don't like following guides, figuring it out on my own is more fun) with vaal skellymen, chaos golem, carrion golem, zombies, and flaming skitterbots. I used Bane with chaos and physical curses (who's names escape me) for damage and curse spread (Bane actually did enough damage to kill most packs before my minions even got there, very cool). I really liked the synergy between Bane/Chaos curse/added chaos damage to minions through Spirit Offering on top of the flat physical damage of the zombies/golems/skeletons.

Looking at the patch notes, the biggest smacks to my play style are the Spirit Offering nerf, and the loss of resistances to Bone Armor. Not being able to refill/buff my own ES with Spirit Offering is probably the biggest "ouch". It was super nice to just eat some corpses and be back to full. The loss of resistances from Bone Armor is somewhat less painful as that can be made up elsewhere, maybe drop skitterbots for PoE if it's too bad.

I really want to try a goofy-times elemental damage minions build this season, but that hinges on finding the jewel that turns your skeletons into mages, and playing SSF makes that kind of hard, but oh well. I could also try to do something weird with Triad Grips too since I had maybe 4 or 5 of those drop last season. The idea of a small army shocking, igniting, and freezing everything seems like a lot of fun. I just haven't figured out the best way to spread Elemental Weakness with it yet.

WTF BEES
Feb 26, 2004

Wuxi posted:

You have a shared stash on all characters for that account/league in SSF already

See, told you I only understood MOST of the game mechanics. I'll still probably continue playing self imposed SSF, but I would like the option of trading to still be open to me.

WTF BEES
Feb 26, 2004

Delirium - Fun mechanic. Not as fun to me as blight was, more fun than metamoroh (so far).

AW - Also fun, but will have to see how it feels later on. The visuals are certainly cooler than skeletons that's for sure.

WTF BEES
Feb 26, 2004

So my weird elemental minions zoo build seems to be working OK. I've switched focus from my animated weapons to the skeleton mages themselves. Mages + greater multi projectile + spell echo is absolutely bonkers. I also have a pair of triad grips to convert all my physical guys to elemental damage as well.

I also managed to craft a stygian vice with 99hp, resists, and lvl20 Aspect of the Avian, but between Anger and Discipline I don't have the mana to use it. I'm toying with the idea of dropping Anger for Avian + a banner maybe?

WTF BEES
Feb 26, 2004

So my first character ever was really stupid and dumb and bad, but also awesome, and I DID manage to beat the campaign/lab with it so I'm wondering with the addition of cluster jewels etc if it might be doable, or just forever dumb.

The idea was a fire damage melee Chieftain that would spawn Purity dudes that had infernal legion so they would burn and then pop, and they would also be linked with phantasms for more burning and popping.

So basically a big tanky fire dude that would hit things so hard they would turn into ghosts that would then be on fire and explode.

WTF BEES
Feb 26, 2004

whypick1 posted:

Nah. You're going to have an incredibly miserable time dealing with bosses that have no adds since you won't be able to spawn Phantasms

I thought you had a chance to spawn purity bros/phantasms on hit when smacking unique/boss monsters

WTF BEES
Feb 26, 2004

Does Bane have to be linked to the curses to get the damage bonus per curse, or is it just active curses on the target? As in if I apply two curses connected on gear with Bane, and another two with those special gloves, is it a four curse boosted Bane or only two?

WTF BEES
Feb 26, 2004

Cinara posted:

Linked. The curses are replacing normal damage supports.

OK, so I wonder what the point of those gloves is? I had it wrong and thought those gloves opened up support slots for Bane by having the curses applied by the gloves, so you would have say one curse and three damage supports of Bane, and your other three or so curses on the gloves, so Bane would be being juiced by a total of four curses PLUS the support gems now connected to Bane. But if Bane only gets the damage buff by curses actually linked to it......what the hell?

WTF BEES
Feb 26, 2004

Cinara posted:

Because they are still cursing the monster and linked curses are worse than a normal support after 1-2 of them.

Ahhh OK after doing some more reading on it I understand now. I hate math, yet love this game. It's so odd.

WTF BEES
Feb 26, 2004

Salty about no minion stuff.....

I do like burning maps for useful stuff, and fossils into resonators is grand.

WTF BEES
Feb 26, 2004

So I just noticed the new "Spells can poison" cluster. Anybody figured out anything silly with that yet? I'm messing around with it as I level and so far only Ed's initial hit triggers it (of the spells I'm using).

WTF BEES
Feb 26, 2004

Numberwang!!! posted:

Anyone had luck with using seeds on cluster jewels? I've tried a few and it always seems to add +5 life/Resist which I definitely don't want.

I've actually had good luck with the "adds attack modifier" of all things.

WTF BEES
Feb 26, 2004

WTFBEES posted:

I mostly just pick whatever has the most detailed guide because lol at actually learning how this game works. I just want to click things.

Regardless, I'll take a stab at all that. It's probably worth noting I really don't die. The build really is legit tanky. It's just so goddamn slow I hardly want to play it.

Appreciate the help.

You should also give spell slinging a shot. I did staff last league and find that slinging feels way better both single target and general tooling around. With harvest crafting it's not too terribly hard to get a couple +1 chaos wands.

WTF BEES
Feb 26, 2004

So is there some kind of standard, safe(er) way of getting exp in this game? The exp loss mechanic is destroying my soul. I hate getting to the end of an otherwise rewarding map and looking at that arena door and asking myself "Should I fight this boss? If I die ill lose a poo poo load of time....". Feels bad.

If exp loss and lab were abolished this would literally be my favorite game of all time, hands down. Hell, I would even take a huge exp gain penalty after say 85 or 90 to just not have to worry about losing an entire level because I happened to pop Sirus at the end of my exp bar.

I know the solution is "get good", but I just want to relax and have fun drat it....

WTF BEES
Feb 26, 2004

It just seems like a glaring design flaw that a huge portion of the player base never gets this last 5-10 passive points. That's two small clusters right there! And I understand the argument that death needs to have consequences outside of hardcore, and I agree it does. But I mean, you already lose map portals which can already be heartbreaking enough, and the fact dying means an automatic fail for a LOT of mechanics (looking at you Blight).

I know I'm pissing and moaning a lot, and yeah I'm just venting and shrieking into the void. I just love this game SO MUCH. I picked it up less than a year ago and have 1200+ hours into it already, and I'm STILL learning BASIC things about the game, and that's rad as hell. It just has a bad habit of slapping the piss out of you in the worst ways sometimes.

WTF BEES
Feb 26, 2004

Papercut posted:

The penalty is very small before you get to at least like 94-95. If you're dying every map, that's a sign to improve your build or run easier maps.

I'm thinking I'm just running way too juiced up maps when my goal is exp. It's just real hard not to run some 120% corrupted, delirium'd, elder influenced monstrosity when the opportunity presents itself.

WTF BEES
Feb 26, 2004

please knock Mom! posted:

sounds like you already know why you're dying so much

I have no argument for this. It does indeed sound like I need to get past my own anger and frustration, and alter my approach to what "end game" should be for me.

Edit: I'm also kinda salty ED/Contagion spellslinger can't take me as far as manual cast. I just switched over and man hitting a pack with contagion and then MISSING with ED is just.....oof.

I still say gently caress lab though....

WTF BEES fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Jul 5, 2020

WTF BEES
Feb 26, 2004

you use ED first, then contagion after. ED also has a small AoE when it hits now, though you should still get +1 pierce somewhere for easier usage.

It.....it works like that? Why did I think you had to have contagion up first to spread Ed??

WTF BEES
Feb 26, 2004

WTFBEES posted:

Are we the same person? I just gave away all my ED/C gear because I didn't like the way it played and thought the same thing.

I'm gonna be pissed if we're the same person. Misconceptions about game mechanics are one thing, but having reality upended is another thing entirely.

That being said, it just seemed logical somehow that contagion had to come first. Like, the pipe has to exist before you can send water down it, or something.

WTF BEES
Feb 26, 2004

Cinara posted:

You can do literally everything as spellsinger ED if you just work on your gear more. I planned to swap to self cast around red maps before the league but with how easy gear is this league I just never bothered.

Currently level 99.5, should finish it off in another 2-3 days.

Any pro gearing tips with it? I know looking at the "sheet dps" the game provides in its tool tips is a nono, but my Ed damage went up by orders of magnitude when I switched from my two +1 to all chaos gems wands to that one unique staff who's name escapes me.

WTF BEES
Feb 26, 2004

So I'm trying to decide on a third dude to make since this league looks like it may be a longer one. I play semi-ssf, I just have no interest in trading too much but it's nice to have it as an option. Anyways, I always start with my two favorites, first a goofy tri-element summoner of my own making. Lots of people go full cold conversion but I say nuts to that, I want things burning, shocked, chilled, and frozen at all times.

My second is almost always an ED/Contagion Trickster. I love love love how this combo's defensive layers play out with the combo of high evasion and ES, and thematically chaos damage is just cool to me. I also got super, rediculously lucky and six linked a Carcass Jack in 12 fusings just going for a 5 link so that was cool.

So now I'm trying to decide on a third. Is there perhaps a melee build that slaps as hard as my two favorites? I've made a bleed gladiator before as well, but this was in Harvest league (come back to me harvest craft I miss you!). I also really like spellslinger.

WTF BEES
Feb 26, 2004

So last league I did poison BF/BB Assassin and absolutely loved it, probably the most fun I've had behind my doofy tri-element summoner. This time I think I'm going to shake it up and try a more than likely sub-optimal (but I don't care) poison BF/BB Trickster. I love Trickster defenses and I want to see how Harness the Void plays out with it. If it turns out to suck I can just switch it out later. Also going to try out skelly-mages if I can get my grubby mitts on the jewel.

WTF BEES
Feb 26, 2004

Does anybody know off hand how the game calculates Harness the Void? Does it do it for each individual hit, on a hit by hit basis, or does it decide on each spell cast/skill use. Like if I cast BB, will the game decide that every hit from this particular cast will do extra damage for every hit in the cast, or will it be some will and some won't.

I ask because sometimes a particular cast of BB or BF will absolutely delete bosses and other times it will only semi-delete them.

WTF BEES
Feb 26, 2004

So I have a Logitech G600 mmo mouse from my days playing finger DDR in WoW. I already have my flasks set to a couple of the thumb keys and X/Z, and am already very good at playing flask piano that way. The mouse software comes with a relatively simple way to set a key press sequence to any of the buttons, including the special "g-shift" button next to right mouse click.

I know flask macros are against ToS, but how likely am I to eat a ban for using one through my mouse? I would figure they have some way of detecting repeated, perfectly timed key presses or some such and I don't want to have my weekend ruined, but at the same time being able to pop all my defensive flasks with the hit of a key would be an incredible quality of life improvement.

WTF BEES fucked around with this message at 11:02 on Jan 24, 2021

WTF BEES
Feb 26, 2004

So ever since Ritual dropped my game's performance has been........not great. Textures take a long time to load in and even once everything has "popped" I'll still get random, multi second game freezes (which are more often than not deadly) that may or may not result in a full blown crash, sometimes to login and others just straight to desktop. Anybody else experiencing similar?

WTF BEES
Feb 26, 2004

So I've broken the 2k hours played barrier, and there's still so much I don't understand about the game (which I love). I don't really use guides or do heavy math to min/max beyond checking to see if a build idea would possibly be functional, and I do use PoB, but not too heavily.

I have a couple questions that I've been having trouble finding clear, concise answers about.

One: How do people manage to get such high ES numbers when they go CI? I understand you gotta have that good good ES gear, but Ive seen people with 10k plus and I just don't understand.

Two: Is a Shav's pretty much mandatory if you want to go low life? Also, how is LL achieved? Auras with Blood Magic? I'm real dumb.

Three: I'm building a bleed/lacerate gladiator to finish off the league, because I've never done it before and why not. How is max block achieved? Judicious use of the passive tree I assume? Cluster jewels? I'm at 61% right now without Glancing Blows(?).

My two most successful builds to date happened to be this league. First was a BF/BB poison Trickster, because I like the Trickster defensives and I wanted to see how Harvest the Void would interact with it, and nobody does Trickster for BF/BB. I also lucked into an Unholy Might corrupt on one of my Obliterations, and along with the large cluster jewel passive I have 100% UM uptime. It's real fun.

The second is the latest iteration of my dumb all elements skellymancer that takes advantage of all the bonuses on the Femurs of the Saints staff. Triad grips with red/green/blue sockets so all pets do all things and cause all ailments. Obviously skeletons 6L on the staff, popcorn raging spirits linked with phantasms in the helm, and 3 Redemption Sentry spectres. Zombies and earth elemental linked to both meat shield and feeding frenzy purely for defense and utility. Popcorn SRS/phantasms works really well with the Life from Death cluster passive.

WTF BEES
Feb 26, 2004

whypick1 posted:

1. Energy from Within next to Infusion or by Pain Attunement, Guardian's Radiant Faith passive, bumping up levels on Discipline, and as J said, stacking INT.
2. What J said. Prism Guardian very common for BM auras.
3. You definitely don't need Glancing Blows as a Gladiator. Jewels (both regular and cluster), The Anvil, a good shield (you probably want The Surrender) and a few passives should get you capped.

OOOO I actually have the precursor shield to the Surrender, but can't get my grubby mits on the proper blessing.

WTF BEES
Feb 26, 2004

It really does seem like every single league there's some new, different graphical glitch since I've started playing in Blight. It's either the game freezes completely for 20sec periodically, or there's still animations and I can move my character around but everything else is stuck in place doing its idle animation, or zone textures take 8000 years to load in, and sometimes everything works just fine. It's always something.

WTF BEES
Feb 26, 2004

Last Epoch feigns depth through the node trees of each skill, but in the end you basically get to turn arc into orb of storms for example. It’s got absolutely nothing on PoE with regards to content or depth, but I hope PoE steals some good ideas from it.

I think PoE is hurt a lot by being the only actively developed arpg on the market. Nobody to steal ideas from, can’t see what worked for other games ahead of time. Hopefully LE changes that.

I've played a little last epoch and I have to say I really wish PoE would adopt some form of the boss monster instant die move telegraph thing they got going on. Ziz has a short video up of his latest RIP this season on Caterina in which he goes from full 7khp to dead in literally an instant. That's not depth, or difficulty, it's just bad game design, imho at least. If you watch closely he actually dies BEFORE the attack animation even happens. He splats then the little green darts hit his corpse.

WTF BEES
Feb 26, 2004

Ghosts n Gopniks posted:

No longer getting spectres or mages off-screening after a recent patch though. Should see about new spectre sources to hire.

May I suggest the Miserly Poachers from Heist? They're archer guys that fire explosive arrows. With three of them linked to multi projectile they can clear entire screens as I'm pretty sure the explosions overlap. They've quickly become my new favorite spectre and they're fairly easy to replace if you happen to lose them.

WTF BEES
Feb 26, 2004

Spent what felt like 1000 years leveling a skeleton archers gem to 20, and it fails to vaal. Feels bad man....

WTF BEES
Feb 26, 2004

Tom Clancy is Dead posted:

You can level a full set of 6 at a time in your weapon swap for great odds at vaaling the gem you want. Also Jun gives great gem xp.

It was an alt quality version that makes normal skeletons into archers, so sadly not easy to get multiple copies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WTF BEES
Feb 26, 2004

Getting worn down by the seemingly random performance issues. Some days, or even stretches of several hours, are just fine and everything's cool. Other days/times it takes a full couple minutes for all the textures to load in, and the start of any kind of event, whether it's an ultimatum or boss fight, causes the game to completely seize up for 10 to 20 seconds at a time. More than long enough to get mulched.

I would understand if there was a patch and then it was a consistent issue, but the fact that it comes and goes is really irksome.