Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Captain Foo)
How do you feel about Archnemesis mods on rares?
Incredibly fun, I love them!
They're alright
Needs more work
Almost as much fun as shoving a red hot nail under my fingernail
Other (post below)
View Results

neurotech
Apr 22, 2004

Deep in my dreams and I still hear her callin'
If you're alone, I'll come home.

I did the Baron SRS build last league and got frustrated with the Baron market price skyrocketing higher every day. Will the same thing happen with the Baron this league too?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

neurotech
Apr 22, 2004

Is anyone doing Mathil's Molten Strike + Whatever build? If so, are you finding the Molten Strike part a bit underwhelming for single target? I'm at 75 now and Molten Strike (linked with Elemental Damage with Attacks, Multistrike, Ice Bite, Ancestral Call) and yeah... sometimes it feels great (i.e. when the boss is up against a wall or in a corner) but if they're out in the open it feels really inefficient and weak.

Is there a better 5L setup for MS that doesn't lean so heavily on whether the boss is near a wall?

For reference, my character is called Mirrorcheese and can be seen here: https://www.pathofexile.com/account/view-profile/neurotech/characters

neurotech fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Dec 17, 2017

neurotech
Apr 22, 2004

Magus42 posted:

Are you making use of the Ancestral Call attack just out of range gimmick to get bonus balls for single target?

Yep, always shift-casting when I encounter a boss/hard rare.

J posted:

I've heard there is some stupid bug with molten strike where if you have a glove enchant that is one of the "Do X on hit" ones it makes all the molten strike balls just....miss the target and not do anything.

Keru posted:

Yeah, there's a bug with some skills where glove enchants just breaks projectiles from them.

Right. That's annoying. Does it matter that my MS 5L setup is in my body armour though?

neurotech
Apr 22, 2004

pork never goes bad posted:

Definitely run normal lab fast and write over that enchant until you get something that isn't on hit. I'm not sure exactly how the bug works but it's apparently a major DPS loss.

Edit - I'd also throw the char in PoB and see if Element Focus or another support gem is better DPS than ice bite. With all the flat element on abyss jewels you could be in good shape

Yep, okay. Thanks for that :)

neurotech
Apr 22, 2004

Twist And Pout! posted:

Little late replying to this but I had the same issue and swapped to Concentrated Effect instead of ice bite and it's been a ton better single target. Also make sure you are trying to get some space between you and the boss before you start molten striking.

It's probably unintended but holding shift to attack in front of the boss with molten strike will also trigger an ancestral call attack on the boss, causing you to do a ton more damage as you and your ancestral call ghost spam molten orbs. This is pretty hard to do with melee bosses though.

Mathils single target isn't always what it is in his videos, it's harder to pull off that ancestral call trick against melee bosses.

Thanks - I rushed through normal lab and replaced my "on hit" glove enchant which stopped the "MS balls don't hit" bug, and then switched out my Ice Bite for Elemental Focus and now I'm just absolutely melting everything.

neurotech
Apr 22, 2004

Cinara posted:

This is by far the better way to do bossing, and honestly I see zero point for Winter Orb for mapping also after playing it. Brand Recall and the way brands chain mean that everything just dies instantly anywhere near me, and Acuities keep me so much safer.

Don't use Void Battery/Shimmeron though, make your own multimoddeded scepters, they are far stronger.

I am mostly copying Dan's scion, though I am still doing a lot of mapping so I use Elementalist instead of Pathfinder for the reflect immune, eventually I will swap though.

https://www.pathofexile.com/account/view-profile/Cinara/characters?characterName=_Cinara

Christ. How can people afford to get the gear for a character like this? Headhunter, Acuity, far out.

neurotech
Apr 22, 2004

Captain Foo posted:

My storm brander used lightning spire and vaal storm call; vaal storm call + diamond flask is really strong

Can you share a link to this character? Curious as to where you fit Vaal Storm Call in to your gem setup.

neurotech
Apr 22, 2004

MMF Freeway posted:

I got my ice nova trickster up and running with the new Pledge of Hands and the interaction between frostbolt/nova and all these echos is pretty bonkers. The thing that I didn't really fully comprehend from just watching the build be played is how when you cast a nova with echo, you only actually cast once and the echos happen automatically on the frostbolts, letting you run around freely in the meantime. I guess I was expecting that you'd have to fully complete your casting to get all the echos but nope, one tap is all it takes. Since you now get double the echos with the new pledge, the novas keep coming out for quite awhile, clearing a large amount of space. Between having 100% aoe from the tree, intensify and another 150% aoe on the final echos the area coverage is just loving massive. Its taking a little getting used to for bossing since you have to position yourself just right so that the boss is being hit with the overlapping final echos for the huge 100% more damage boost, but when everything lines up they just melt.

Do you have a POB or profile link? I want to do this exact build.

neurotech
Apr 22, 2004

RPZip posted:

I'm running the same build, threw up a PoB here. The damage is very silly although PoB doesn't model Echo/Greater Echo at all for Ice Nova. I haven't gotten to Shaper/Uber Elder yet but for bosses it's probably worth putting a Slower Proj in on Frostbolt, but it really does not need it otherwise.

I was looking at it earlier and I might drop Wicked Ward and take the southern route to Witch stuff to free up a few points. The jewels are all giving crazy amounts of damage and each only cost 2-3c. I think overall I've spent 1.5ex on this character, it's not hard at all to get crazy good gear for casters this league.

Cheers, thanks. What's your in game name? I wouldn't mind picking your brain over a few things.

neurotech
Apr 22, 2004

Masonity posted:

I'm playing the same build and have mana leech and life leech linked with my frostbolts, along with greater multi projectile and arcane surge in a psuedo-5 link. Then I'm using the overleech as energy shield belt.

On one hand I know I'm leaving damage on the table but on the other hand I'm now at least semi-tough and only die to fuckups / bad legions and ele reflect.

Also with dual void batteries yellow maps are basically melting anyway.

I need to look for that boot enchant someone mentioned though as soon as I have some currency again, emptied my coffers getting my second void battery last time I had a chance to play.

MMF Freeway posted:

I've been using Kalisa's Grace gloves on my ice nova guy and they are surprising reliable since ice nova costs like 120 mana and casts fast as poo poo. I use the boot enchant for leech and my strategy for bosses so far has just been to kill them before I need the life leech. Atziri flask is probably the easiest way to get it otherwise

What boot enchant are you two referring to?

neurotech
Apr 22, 2004

Okay. I'm starting to lose my mind and I need some help. I've just finished liquidating my characters to pour all my currency into my "last hurrah" build for the league - Mathil's Berserker Saviour Double Strike build that he made a video about recently. After lots of loving around waiting for things to sell, dealing with getting the rings crafted, dodging scammers when trying to buy my foil and chest piece, I finally got the build ready to play.

After playing for about an hour, doing T16s, Elder/Shaper guardians, metamorphs, the build just feels too volatile in terms of survivability. I feel like I'm dancing on a wire when playing the build, and really need to ride my flasks/enduring cry. While the damage is good, I'm not feeling as powerful as I thought I would (especially when clearing).

What am I missing here? I'm not sure what else I can do to "fix" this problem. Is there a way to salvage this build? Is the answer "convert/transpose the gear into an Impale Cyclone Champion"?

This is the aforementioned character: https://www.pathofexile.com/account/view-profile/neurotech/characters?characterName=COULD_I_SEE_A_HAT_WOBBL

neurotech
Apr 22, 2004

Vasudus posted:

The issue is you’re playing a Mathil build without being Mathil.

Yeahhh. I get it, I get it. Cyclone impale champion it is then? :gibs:

neurotech
Apr 22, 2004

Jinnigan posted:

Take Abyssus off

Mathil builds are famously much more fragile than the general population. This is because Mathil is a very good player who compensates for character fragility with high player skill. If you don't have high player skill, reduce your character's fragility. In this case, the easiest way to do that is to take Abyssus off.

Fair call. Take it off and replace it with a high max life rare?

neurotech
Apr 22, 2004

neurotech posted:

Okay. I'm starting to lose my mind and I need some help. I've just finished liquidating my characters to pour all my currency into my "last hurrah" build for the league - Mathil's Berserker Saviour Double Strike build that he made a video about recently. After lots of loving around waiting for things to sell, dealing with getting the rings crafted, dodging scammers when trying to buy my foil and chest piece, I finally got the build ready to play.

After playing for about an hour, doing T16s, Elder/Shaper guardians, metamorphs, the build just feels too volatile in terms of survivability. I feel like I'm dancing on a wire when playing the build, and really need to ride my flasks/enduring cry. While the damage is good, I'm not feeling as powerful as I thought I would (especially when clearing).

What am I missing here? I'm not sure what else I can do to "fix" this problem. Is there a way to salvage this build? Is the answer "convert/transpose the gear into an Impale Cyclone Champion"?

This is the aforementioned character: https://www.pathofexile.com/account/view-profile/neurotech/characters?characterName=COULD_I_SEE_A_HAT_WOBBL

Thanks for everyone's feedback on this. I switched out the Abyssus and specced out of Aspect of Carnage. That is definitely an improvement, but I still feel squishy and my damage isn't amazing.

Does anyone have any other suggestions on how I can salvage this character or possibly convert it into something better? :ohdear:

neurotech
Apr 22, 2004

Papercut posted:

Herald Guardian trip report: lol

I just stomped a T15 at level 80 and I haven't even replaced my leveling flasks yet. I'm literally using 2 life flasks (as an LL build lol), 2 adrenaline flasks, and a mana flask, all of which I picked up in like act 5. I have 6k ES and my bar rarely moves at all. I don't even have all of my auras up because I haven't dropped the currency to annoint Charisma and haven't committed to repathing to pick it up.

I was using OOS and it was okay, but I switched to Black Cane + Divine Ire and it's sick.

Are you following a guide?

neurotech
Apr 22, 2004

DaveWoo posted:

So I'm up to level 80 so far, and I love my Tecslam Chieftain build, but I gotta say, I'm not really feeling the league mechanic. I'm currently stuck with a bunch of Tier 2/3 seeds that I don't want to use because I don't have the right inputs for the crafting options. (Like the one that exchanges a stack of Fossils, Essences, Delirium Orbs, Oils or Catalysts, or the one that exchanges a Unique, Bestiary or Harbinger item.)

Do you have a guide/PoB/profile for that character? Tempted to do the same...

neurotech
Apr 22, 2004

What trade overlay/price checker are you all using these days?

neurotech
Apr 22, 2004

I'm looking for a build for a bossing alt that is focused primarily on high single target damage and survivability. Does anyone have any suggestions?

neurotech
Apr 22, 2004

Krolm posted:

spooders

This is great, thanks for this. Did you level as this build or switch to it after the story?

neurotech
Apr 22, 2004

Krolm posted:

Honestly, it doesn't really feel like a tradeoff. I didn't die at all grinding 96-97. I didn't even list all the defenses; There's also the 10% mitigation from Juju, 2 permanent endurance charges, 5% life on block, etc. It's fine :v:

How much do you think you've invested in your spiders build? How much would it cost to get it online and feeling good?

neurotech
Apr 22, 2004

Cinara posted:

ED stuff

Thanks for this. Do you have any tips for levelling as ED + Spellslinger?

neurotech
Apr 22, 2004

It feels like the ideal setup for this league mechanic is to have a fast mapping character that can fly through maps as fast as possible to get to the seed pod while still killing everything and (maybe slowly) killing the map boss, and then to have a separate character that is purely there just for killing A8 conquerors/Sirus/Shaper/Elder/Guardians quickly and easily.

My current character (dual void battery bladefall + blade blast assassin) is pretty good at both, but does feel a little on a slow side in terms of clear and movement speed. If I wanted to a make a super fast mapper, is HoI BV Assassin my best bet or is there something else that someone could recommend?

neurotech
Apr 22, 2004

Aerox posted:

Toxic rain stuff

I actually have a TR pathfinder on ice at the moment:

https://www.pathofexile.com/account/view-profile/neurotech/characters?characterName=LARGE_MCVALUE_MEAL

I kinda fell off it due to the "feast or famine" feeling of survivability that comes from dodge/evasion characters. (and my gear is a bit all over the place which doesn't help)

neurotech
Apr 22, 2004

Cinara posted:

Leveling and gearing two characters and swapping constantly is never going to be the fastest.

I don't mind swapping for hard bosses. They occur relatively rarely so I don't think swapping characters to kill them would feel that bad.

In terms of levelling, that's not a huge problem. I am currently sitting at 6 characters for Harvest, any of which I could re-purpose:

68 Trickster
85 Pathfinder
76 Hierophant
84 Necromancer
93 Assassin
74 Chieftain

neurotech
Apr 22, 2004

Cinara posted:

Looking at your characters the problem isn't the builds, it's the fact that you're rerolling before dedicating enough time to even get the character fully online.

Fair play. That's definitely a problem - I just haven't found something that feels like "the one" for me this league as yet.

neurotech
Apr 22, 2004

Agreed posted:

I love the league mechanic now that it's working well for me. I've got better gear than I usually do at this point in league and I made a lot of it myself. I think I liked Delirium more because it was just completely frantic and had great payouts, in terms of gameplay it dovetailed well with how I like to proceed in a map anyway & the delirium orbs being common made it easy to super juice map content even more specifically than ever. I guess that's still possible, just gotta pony up and buy the orbs.

Like I have this chest and this wand I've made that are seriously sick for my build, and they're gonna be even better when I'm done, and I know that I can improve them more for a fact rather than just hoping for decent outcomes with RNG. That's pretty neat, I was always impressed by crafting but often I'd spend as much trying to make a good thing as it would have cost to buy one with better rolls. Now, though - oh baby!

I am distracted from Frostbolt brands + Ice Nova by how much I am enjoying Penance Brand and Orb of Storms. I am not quite to the 250% cast speed breakpoint, need 11% more still (currently at 11.3 hits per second prior to the last 25%, 22.6 there, works out to 17 stacks per brand for the lifetime of a single penance brand which is 1.27s for me. I'll get there to that last bit of speed, though, I hear that breakpoint is a big boost. It is already doing really well for me in maps and endgame. I think Ice Nova was superior self-cast DPS but the fact is self-cast DPS is great til standing still means you're dead and as much running around as I was having to do it was not very accessible DPS anyway, my brands ended up still being a huge portion of endgame fight damage. Now that's more like the plan. Orb of Storms and the quick cast speed I get with my brands makes for very quick clears too since it casts almost instantly (not actually instantly, but very very very fast). I'll put a vid up later, but Penance Brand is really cool and I like it :3:

I’d be keen to see said video.

neurotech
Apr 22, 2004

Dahbadu posted:

I updated the meme build to flesh it out. It has pretty respectable numbers, the mechanics should check out, and it should be a fun build to play. It also doesn't seem that difficult to make. Feel free to check it out.

I'll post the build I'm actually playing later this week. I hope to make a video on my current one soon (Trickster staff battlemage MoM block offering cyclone penance brand lighting/chaos ignite). It's also a relative budget build (much cheaper than this build) that has a mobile playstyle, good mechanics and numbers, and it's the funnest build I've played so far.

Thanks - very excited to see more about the Penance Brand character.

neurotech
Apr 22, 2004

What is the current state of totems as a build concept? Are they still strong?

neurotech
Apr 22, 2004

Edit: Nevermind

neurotech fucked around with this message at 10:03 on Feb 9, 2021

neurotech
Apr 22, 2004

Cao Ni Ma posted:

Honestly I think Ancient Skull SRS is going to be my starter again next league. No one uses the gear except for the cluster gem setup and it has amazing power relative to the budget. Ancient skull is a few alchs, replica grips are a chaos, a 6 link covenant is like 10 chaos

Easy to meet resistances because you are a necro. Blazing and automated clear speed, the skulls/bees will just anihilate everything 2 screens from you. Sirus wasnt phased immediately but he still died pretty quick and I'm sure with a top tier wand and abyss jewels would annihilate him. Oshabi was a joke, the bees move so quick they were right on her rear end no matter how many times she warped.

Do you have a pob or a build guide for this?

neurotech
Apr 22, 2004

I really hate levelling - what's a good build for getting to maps quickly and easily?

neurotech
Apr 22, 2004

Speaking of league starters, what are you all going to go with for yours?

neurotech
Apr 22, 2004

whypick1 posted:

If I can't figure anything new to play by league launch, KB CF/Reap Gladiator. Don't really like re-doing builds, but I know this won't be nerfed by the patch and I enjoyed playing it.

Can you elaborate please? I haven't played for what feels like a year at this point. Is KB Kinetic Blast? What's CF?

neurotech
Apr 22, 2004

pork never goes bad posted:

Ruetoo wrote up a fairly detailed guide to running that build as a champion here that seems a bit stronger than the glad versions for this league. Permanent adrenaline is pretty sweet. https://docs.google.com/document/d/1b7y0_nes_UFfVuhQpJyAmkj6SNvZPZBkBGWTYpAPHzs/edit?usp=drivesdk

I don't think it's gonna be comfortable bossing, ultimately, but if you're looking for an absolute banger of a mapper that's pretty darn tanky so can handle bosses a bit slower then it's not a terrible choice.

Sounds like a good place to start, thanks.

neurotech
Apr 22, 2004

Papercut posted:

I did the infinite heist strategy from like 55-70 and it was so quick and easy money, used to fill out most of my gear slots to a late yellows/early reds-ish level and then cruised into maps

Can you elaborate please? Sounds like something I'd like try...

neurotech
Apr 22, 2004

Dressed to Kill posted:

The one eater of worlds node that increases the spawn rate of altars by 50% is a better currency maker than the rest of the tree combined it feels. I have over 400 scarabs now and the currency sells fast in bulk.

Is that "The Shadow of Hunger" node?

neurotech
Apr 22, 2004

I would like to make a character just for running my Blighted maps. Does anyone have any recommendations for builds? I have 4.5 EX and 220~ chaos to spend.

neurotech
Apr 22, 2004

Orange DeviI posted:

Lightning strike raider is worse than zerker in every way, you can just autocast the skills using the Diablo 3 numlock trick and on average be faster, deal more damage, be tankier.

The only downside is the war cry noise

Is there some way to do this if you don’t have a numpad?

neurotech
Apr 22, 2004

Larry Parrish posted:

Join the 21st century and acquire a fullsize keyboard. I have a compact wireless and it still has a drat numpad.

Very helpful, thank you. :jerkbag:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

neurotech
Apr 22, 2004

Aerox posted:

I whined a lot over the weekend as I struggled to get DD going but I think I finally got all the pieces in place and it's fully online. Blasting through T16s, finally feels properly tanky. I'm still struggling a little bit with single target on excessively tanky empowered/possessed bosses and pinnacle bosses since Vaal DD isn't up often enough, but overall this is probably the strongest starter I've played outside of Toxic Rain during harvest where you could make insane gear out the gate. Already almost completed my atlas and just waiting on a Writ and Elder fragments to get the last two watchstones.

I think though I'm already at the point where there's basically nothing else to upgrade outside of getting a helmet enchant without spending an astronomical amount of money, so I think I'm gonna hoard currency for a second character in a week or two. What else have people been playing -- particularly interested in stuff that excels at pinnacle boss content since DD is now a very speedy mapper.

Did you follow a guide? If so, which one?