Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Captain Foo)
How do you feel about Archnemesis mods on rares?
Incredibly fun, I love them!
They're alright
Needs more work
Almost as much fun as shoving a red hot nail under my fingernail
Other (post below)
View Results

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice
I'm installing again after not playing in quite a long time (years). I barely understood the game as I played it through the first time. Is there any somewhat simple, cheap build that can do end game stuff I can look at? I just need to get my feet wet again and learn everything over again before I go down the theorycrafting rabbit hole.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

Necromancer summoner if you want to be able to do everything in the game with a driftwood wand, some variation of Cyclone duelist or lacerate gladiator if you want to have to have a sense of progression from upgrading your gear over time, poe.ninja could tell you more about what skills are the most popular this league.

This sounds right up my alley thanks!

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice

I don't know what's going on in this video but the idea of a giant thing blowing up the screen while I vacuum loot sounds amazing.

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice
I'm digging the glowy diver suit dude this season. Especially when I get the "drops a unique" piece. I'm only lvl 24 and I already have 6 uniques in my stash with one of them being a sick summoning amulet. I also find it hilarious that after he steps out the portal, the portal sorta blows up in place and he doesn't give a poo poo.

Question 1: The last time I played PoE, there was purple/pink crystals that you hit and made a big ring appear with mobs. I haven't seen one of those yet. Is that still in the game? Do they keep all the content from the last season when they move to the next? This is literally my second time attempting to get into PoE.

Question 2: I see skill setups where they put the "flame AOE/summon takes damage" skill on the skeletons. Is that because skeletons are gonna die soon anyway? I'm sorta using them as my attack instead of my flaming skull spell because it feels like I'm just dropping a bomb on the screen whenever I summon them.

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice

Toshimo posted:

Yeah, breaches absolutely look like crystals at first glance. He's definitely describing breaches.

Yeah it was breaches with the glowy shadows of enemies. I just remember having to click a thing to start it up. There was an atlas too but I didn't get very far into it. I have no idea what endgame looks like now, but I'll look at hopping in the goon discord or whatever soon so I can ask questions.

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice

Dr. Clockwork posted:

Would you say "Now Tane, I can get into"?

PoE, show me nude Tane.

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice

ConfusedPig posted:

I’m afraid Tane’s shtick is not complex enough for master status.

*bursts through portal that explodes*
Hey yo, you wanna build a monster? No? Maybe later? It's cool, I'll wait...

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice

Ultima66 posted:

Oh also I actually bothered recording a Sirus run with this dumb meme ballista poo poo:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vl2aRTbJlh0

It turns out a mana regen + int ring and lvl 20 Clarity over Grace gives enough mana regen to not need a flask if I replace a link with Inspiration. Neuters my damage to not use Pyre and use a suboptimal link but as you can see it doesn't really matter.

This fight looked like it was 30 seconds of combat and 5 minutes of walking around. Is this what the end game looks like?

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice

pokchu posted:

ggg is extremely bad at designing bosses, and the ones are good have been in spite of neon or whoever is designing them, not because of them

The last time I played there was only 4 acts, and I fought the Act 5 giant statue Diablo 3 Belial clone last night. I thought it was pretty interesting. I mean, the way some builds just delete everything, I can totally understand wanting to give bosses invincibility for a bit so that the player actually has to experience the content a little, heh.

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice

Xenthalon posted:

Alright, I did it, Sirius is down. This was my first league of PoE, I had last played the game when it still had 3 acts... there were LOTS of new systems to learn.

I played the silly broken skellymancer build, got lucky during the campaign and already got my 6l armor from a card draw and didn't really change gear after map rank 5 or something. Entirely SSF (because I was scared of trading :D) I still downed Sirius on my first try, just one death.

That build sure is broken, I didn't really have to engage with any boss mechanics, just stand back and evade. Still a good build for a newbie, it leaves a lot of time to learn all the delve/temple/incursion etc mechanics. Gonna play a more active build next league though :)

Keep posting men, I keep learning a lot from this thread.

There's a million skellymancer builds, which one did you use? I'm kinda winging it right now (with great success).

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice
So turns out if you migrate a character from solo self found to regular, you lose your entire stash... :(

No wait, I had to hit migrate all instead of just migrate. Now i have double the stashes and need to migrate my gear to other stash.

poemdexter fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Jan 19, 2020

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice
Someone explain the digdug mining poo poo to me. Do the crumbling walls I need to blow up look different? How important is it that I use torches? Do people step away from the cart to look in the little side rooms and such? Which upgrades should I be targeting first? I've kinda dug all over the place, but starting out, I can't just dive straight past 40ish or so because I can't see poo poo.

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice

dyzzy posted:

People tend to upgrade sulphite capacity first because maps will give you way too much if you don't, then when the azurite is rolling in upgrade dark resist/light radius/flare capacity/dynamite capacity in roughly that order of priority. More capacity as you advance in map tiers to keep from being overloaded.

Walls look like a bunch of basalt columns, they also have an icon on the map.

Torches are important if you are exploring the side nooks as you go, which people do because the goodies (fossils, resonators, crumbling walls) are all off the cart's path. Without light you can't hurt enemies and you will take big dot dps unless you have a very specific build.

At the start you should be heading straight down bc the rewards are terrible until you get to map levels (monster level 68+). Though if you are still doing the campaign, Niko will be digging a path down for you so you can do some side digs from there.

I'm lvl 84 now and past campaign. Should I just start at the very deepest I can go? The light radius is awful and I pretty much have to stand on top of my cart. I think I had to throw a torch just to get the chests that were at the end of the path because there wasn't enough radius to click them outright.

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice
I kinda feel like doing the atlas stuff is gonna take up the majority of my time. Is it even worth doing the digging stuff? Is doing the pyramid setup worth it?

I got a red watchstone last night and it only fits into one slot on my atlas so I shoved it there. I have no idea what it does and I have no idea how to socket the little watch towers on the atlas. The game has a little ? button that usually explains the mechanics very well, but the atlas stuff is bonkers confusing.

I feel like there's a billion ways to craft items, but I have no idea how any of it works or if it's worth trying on my own.

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice
I've tried putting the thing on the towers but I guess I wasn't clicking on exactly what I needed to click lol thanks game. Do the stone go away after X turns? My atlas strategy right now is do each map 1 time and knock out the challenge for it. I still have lvl 4 and 5 maps I haven't attempted yet. I've already found a couple of the masters/angry fellows that go away after a fight and assume I'll fight them all at some point later. I'm also saving up my 1 time free use of all the atlas modifiers because it really doesn't make sense to use them at such a low level of map.

At the very least, my zombie armada blows up everything as I run full speed through maps picking up random garbage. I've go about 40c to my name and enjoying the game still. I'm just trying to get over the learning curve since there was about 4 or 5 new things since the last time I played. It's still a fun game!

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice
Are the morph boss pieces on different rarity levels? I have like 5 of each type except for one which I have 0.

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice

dyzzy posted:

They patched it to be more randomly distributed. Nowadays I have too many and try to sell off the bad ones

Oh, can I just buy like 5 of the lung or whatever it is I'm missing from poe.trade or whatever? Or are you talking about vendoring 3 of the same to get a roll on a piece you're missing?

Oh I see you can just buy them for like 1c on poe.trade.

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice

Baller Time posted:

The 3 don't even have to be the same. It can be three different organs and the result is one of the other two.

Oh snap. I've been doing 3 of the same... fffffffffffff

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice
Last night was a fun gaming experience. Mon'tregul's Grasp sceptre dropped for me and now I'm walking around with 5 incredibly buff zombies that one shot everything. I was also eyeballing a Geofri's Sanctuary on poe.trade but they were all like 2.5 to 3ex for a 6/6. Then one dropped for me. I managed to get it 5 socket with 4 links and called it good enough. Also found a sick belt with an abyssal socket which I totally forgot existed in the game. I still don't know what I want to look for in an offhand or if I should shoot for a 6/6 two hander. I doubt I'll ever see enough veiled two handers to get the minions crafting recipes...

I also beat Atziri for the first time. That was the boss that made me quit last time I played because I realized I screwed up my build and didn't want to spend all the time rebuilding a new character or spending all my currency fixing my passive tree.

tl;dr: PoE is a good game.

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice
Speaking of atlas, I got 4 stones now. I remember the atlas being huge and now it's like 3 layers? How do I get my lvl 1 wharf to be a lvl 6 wharf? I'm totally confused on how to progress between the lvl 5 and lvl 6 stuff post upgraded zone. I'm not sure how the rules work for spawning maps. There's not even a placeholder in the map tab for the lvl 6 and lvl 14 wharf.

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice
Do the level 5 maps that show with 0 stones magically connect to the level 6 maps that show with 1 stone? If I beat lvl 1 wharf, does that mean that lvl 6 wharf is eligible to drop when I do lvl 5 maps?

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice

whypick1 posted:

No. The connections shown are WYSIWYG.

Yes. That's the key to building up your Atlas.

Ah ha. Thanks for this. I've been skipping around and not working my way through each lvl of maps so i have gaps. I guess going forward, I should try to get every single map for a level first before going to the next. I guess it goes without saying that I should just mash a bunch of single stones in the zones so I can do all the yellow maps instead of mashing 4 into a single zone.

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice
Ah ok, so I should be socketing the colored gems in the zones where I don't have that zone's colored gem yet and do this until I have all the stones for everything.

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice

Rutibex posted:

Yeah I guess I am going to have to starting trading and paying attention to these extra optional things that keep getting added to town. I've mostly been ignoring the side stuff and pressing on into the main story. I haven't even really upgraded my gear in a few acts, once I had a few 4-links I just ignored further upgrades. I have a pile of unused currency waiting for a purpose. I've just kept pressing on an picking more Minion Damage+ passives when I level up. But Act 6 is starting to kick my rear end, I've died a few times in the opening area when I normally breeze through everything. I guess the resistance penalty is getting to me.

I need to craft some good equipment or something. Time to read some wikis :v:

I'm also an incredibly new player to PoE and using summons. I played solo self found until I got to endgame. The zombies and skeletons should be able to carry you through the entire game without needing any special gear or crafting. Honestly, just toss on anything that has the sockets you want, maybe reroll the colors as needed, and truck on. The most important thing is try to keep your resists maxed and your HP high as much as you can. There's some gems that give you specific elemental resists so maybe use those for a bit to supplement. It's kinda pointless to throw all your crafting materials and currency in low level stuff because it'll get replaced really quickly by a new find especially since levels come fast. I picked up just a few minion dmg passives on my journey to end game and they were definitely enough to carry me. Also don't think just because you're a "necromancer", you need to have high INT stat. Strength is gonna be your bread and butter forever. I think right now I'm around 200 int, 150 dex, and 900+ str. I've noticed that gear is plentiful and honestly, I could have stayed solo self found the whole time since I've ended up getting drops that were part of a build guide I'm following. No better feeling spending 80 choas orbs on an amulet only to turn around and have it drop the next day.

I also sorta deviated from the build guide since I found a one hander that halves my amount of zombies but turns them into gods. I very rarely summon skeletons now. I do recommend maybe peaking at a few build guides for summons just to see what gems they use. You'll definitely miss out on some nice gem combinations or other skills (golems, auras) that are obviously amazing. There's a billion skill gems and then all the Vaal ones and now apparently there's Awakened ones too (haven't seen one yet) so it's easy to overlook in the merchants. I think one of the merchants in Act 2 or Act 3 sells every gems possible except for the drop only ones but I can't remember who it was. There's another in Act 6 later.

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice

whypick1 posted:

The only reason to have that much Strength as a summoner is if you're playing a Baron summoner. If you're stacking Strength just for life, there are far far far far far far more efficient ways of building a life pool.

Yes, I'm 100% a Baron summoner. It's fun to run full speed through a map hitting Covocation and watching the screen explode.

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice

Yolomon Wayne posted:

Comming from D3, he probably wants to stack his "main stat" which is 70% of the gearing in that game.
The other 30% are cooldown reduction, crit chance and crit damage in equal parts.

D3 these days is just pick a set and get that set. The end. I've played D3 since release and while seasons fixed a lot of stuff and made it super fun, PoE finally clicked with me and I'm never going back.

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice

euphronius posted:

I’m trying this hobo challenge league (if I get invited)

https://www.reddit.com/r/pathofexile/comments/et5jbb/slipperyjims_gucci_hobo_private_league_ssf/

It looks positively miserable with a chance of actually being fun as hell

Who knows

Pretty sure my belt, shield, and rings are the only things that aren't uniques right now but I'm doing the zombie build. I could easily slide a unique belt on but I have no idea what good unique rings would be for my build.

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice

MMF Freeway posted:

Cool concept but starting out looks miserable

Yeah, grinding out uniques just so you aren't running around naked sounds miserable. Especially if you can't cheese it with zombies and skeletons.

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice
I've been running Montregrul but I only have around 900str meaning 5 zombies. If I take it off, I have 11 zombies. I'm still doing sub lvl 10 maps, but I can't really see a different in clear speed. How the hell are people pushing 1500 strength???

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice

EVIL Gibson posted:

Two Brawn gems, two Efficient Training Gems and eventually replace one Efficient for a Lethal Pride.

A good rear end Heavy Elder belt like this

code:
Rarity: Rare
Invasion Leash
Heavy Belt
--------
Quality (Attribute Modifiers): +20% (augmented)
--------
Requirements:
Level: 60
--------
Item Level: 86
--------
+42 to Strength (implicit)
--------
+30 to Strength
13% increased Attributes
+41 to maximum Mana
+21% to Lightning Resistance
+51 to maximum Life (crafted)
--------
Elder Item
Plus Aberon's Warpath which gives you 15-18% more strength and comedy Astramentis

https://www.pathofexile.com/account/view-profile/poemdexter/characters

Poemmobs is my necro right now. I do have a brawn gem in my inventory but I think slapping it in would only give me maybe 60 or so extra str? I do need to unlock some more gem slots on my character for sure. I’ve been aiming at other buffs instead.

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice
Are there any recommended settings to make things a little more readable? 100% of my deaths come from metamorph encounters because of the solid black enemies on solid black ground and particle effects and everything else. That's really my only complaint about this game is that there's a lot of chaos on the screen sometimes and everything is bold colors.

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice

Elentor posted:

Manually remove shadows, shader effects, particles and lighting from the .ggpk file and pray to the old gods and the new that you won't get banned.

I'm enjoying this game right now, and don't wanna get banned unless this is a thing that no one has been banned for and have been doing since the beginning of time. :(

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice

Elentor posted:

I mean, I do, and I've never been banned, but it's probably bannable and if you're on Steam I imagine doing that process is a lot more painful due to how Steam patches work.

If I swap to the non steam version of the game, will I still have all my characters? I'd be willing to do this to remove some of the crazy graphics in the game.

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice

Elentor posted:

Look since you can switch I'll tell you the stuff you want to change but that's it Elentor is sending a cv to GGG someday and I so totally do not want to get declined for sharing modded files I want to get declined because of my incompetence instead.

You'll want to mess with stuff in metadata, you can remove dead bodies probably but they come back like pests. .pet files are Particle EmiTters or at least I think that's what the acronym is for. They're easy to read but don't bother. If you fill them with just a 0 the particles disappear. Hoozah.

There's a folder just for microtransactions do what thou wilt with it. You want to kill "player_environment_ao" and set it to "" in environments. You can disable the fog shader at exp_fog_is_enabled at the .env files in EnvironmentSettings. You probably want to change shadows_enabled to false on directional.env that's the file for directional lights it should be very obvious and it also goes without saying that it won't do much in delve because delve is point lights so gently caress you delves.

If you feel super bold and brave and half as fabulous as me you can give the middle finger to all the shader files and their endless convolutions gently caress yoooou convolutions haha.

I got PMs as well bro. This should be enough to get me going. I'm well versed with loving around with config files for games.

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice

Elentor posted:

You go girl don't let any of that poo poo get in the way of your glorious FPS

My FPS has always been fine. I just want to be able to parse what's going on in the game... :gonk:

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice
My baron necro finally hit 1000 strength. Who wants to see me tear a spell book in half?

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice

Alighieri posted:

Good to know, so far minions have not been dying that often if at all, running two . I on the other hand have splatted to one hit every so often in t14/15. Currently running two carnage chieftan spectres, a carrion golem and 11 zombies, just need to cap my chaos res.

I'm in the same boat yo. Every now and then I'll just get vaporized. I'm at 5k HP and 2.5k energy shield.

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice

Elentor posted:

https://clips.twitch.tv/ColorfulRoundFriesBloodTrail

I'll be honest this is some pretty shameful stuff.

Must be some blocking I/O waiting on the response from server about a reroll. I would assume most people are rerolling in hideout where FPS doesn't matter therefore not really a burning issue.

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice

Rutibex posted:

Thanks to The Locators excellent donation I have been able to re-jigger all of my equipment and skills to reach a level even further beyond. I followed a guide he recommended and changed my skills around quite a bit. I had to buy a bunch of new assist gems, but even at lower level I am noticing a big difference! The 5-linked skeletons are killing machines! And Feeding Frenzy is a godsend. Before Feeding Frenzy I was just running straight into pack of mobs and hitting Bone Armor to save myself to get all of them to attack. Now they go out and do it on their own! I got up to level 84 with my jank build, with this one I feel like I can make it to 90 at least.

https://pastebin.com/49Kv7QsD
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8TGalu36BHA

If you ever get tired of skeleton summoning, you can always pivot to Baron hat/zombies. I'm running with 13 zombies right now without a skeletons skill gem. Also, maybe look at summon guides that do the Cyclone/Cast While Channeling/Desecrate/Spirit Offering combo. It definitely gives you an immense bump in survivability and definitely helped me not RIP to metamorphs in higher levels.

On a side note, I hit 92 last night and totally forgot what the level up noise sounded like because it has been DAYS since I hit 91. I've learned that I can stand on a metamorph until it gets to around 50% and then I need to circle around it to avoid the summons + boss burst damage. When I die, it's still because I get one shot. I have 5400 HP and over 6k energy shield... :gonk:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice
Tower defense in an ARPG is surprisingly super fun regardless of the rewards and I hope I get more of it in the future for sure.

MORE ROOTS!