Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Captain Foo)
How do you feel about Archnemesis mods on rares?
Incredibly fun, I love them!
They're alright
Needs more work
Almost as much fun as shoving a red hot nail under my fingernail
Other (post below)
View Results

Leatherhead
Jul 3, 2006

For the Angel of Death spread his wings on the blast,
And breathed in the face of the foe as he passed;
And the eyes of the sleepers waxed deadly and chill,
And their hearts but once heaved, and for ever grew still

Can someone with more experience tell me if this is a good ED-C Trickster build guide?
https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2581551

Harvest was my first league, and I played Baron Necro, which was a lot of fun up until high reds/Sirius where my lack of optimized gear/play really showed through and I felt like I was made out of tissue paper. This league I want something pretty forgiving survivability-wise, and thematically I feel like I have to start Shadow.

From reading this thread, ED-C seems like a popular choice, but if there's something else people recommend for my first ever Shadow build, I'm all ears.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leatherhead
Jul 3, 2006

Assuming they still haven’t fixed the disappearing GH portals, how are people refreshing the zone to try and find their original instance? I lost the portals on my first two grand heists: the first time I assumed that was just how it was supposed to work, and the second time I burned about twenty-five markers running back and forth between my hideout and the harbor and never found my portal. Not sure if I was very unlucky or if there’s a better way to refresh.

I’d like to actually do some of the grand heists I have saved up, but since I lost thousands of markers on my initial attempts, I was waiting for them to fix the issue.

Leatherhead
Jul 3, 2006

whypick1 posted:

Unlucky. Took me about 20 to find my instance again.

Oh for crying out loud. Good to know though, thanks!

Sarcastro posted:

I'd been wondering this too, and it makes me wonder further why they implemented it this way rather than they way they've done with every other goddamn league with a separate space like that: a waypoint. For christ's sake, the Rogue's Harbour has a waypoint already! Why can't we just waypoint TO it, which would have the side effect of presumably making this problem go away?

Would that actually fix the problem, assuming you'd still have to leave heists via portal? Either way, it's very silly that you have to burn a marker every time you go there, considering we're dealing with thousands of markers at a time. Why not just make your first marker unlock the area like the Labyrinth plaza, or your first Tane encounter or any number of other things?

Leatherhead
Jul 3, 2006

I'm crafting an ED bow and I'm at the point where I need to add +2 to level of socketed support gems, which I don't have on my bench (just +1). I assume my choices are:

1. Do Mastermind rotations until I luck into unveiling that particular option. :barf:
2. Scrap what I've got as a sunk cost and just buy one off somebody.
3. Get crafting services from somebody else.

This is only my second league so I've never done #3 before. How do I even go about that? What's an appropriate service charge and what's the etiquette? How likely am I to get completely scammed and lose my bow and currency?

Thanks!

Leatherhead
Jul 3, 2006

Vasudus posted:

Just ask in guild/5555 if anybody has it. I have it, if nobody else steps up.

Now would probably be an excellent time to mention I have no idea how guilds or specific chat channels work. Just type /5555 before anything or do I need to be a guild member or what?

Leatherhead
Jul 3, 2006

whypick1 posted:

I can do that craft and I'm available pretty much whenever since I'm in quarantine for the next two weeks (yay).

Pro-tip: whenever you fight the Mastermind, have a Kalandra's Craft prophecy handy. When you execute her with the Prophecy active, she'll drop 4 veiled items. I was able to get +1 and +2 support gems in one shot that way.

"/global 5555"

It's a public channel, no guild membership required.

Much appreciated, everyone. I basically did my first league SSF, this time around I've been trading but still feeling my way through things.

I'm sure I'm consistently undervaluing some items but it's still more cash than vendoring, and I imagine I'll get a feel for it over time.

I'll ask in 5555 when I get a chance to play, probably later tonight.

Also, that's good advice on Kalandra's; I think I have one itemized sitting around somewhere.

Leatherhead
Jul 3, 2006

"Can the Maven witness unique map bosses?
No. "

This means, like, Metamorph bosses right? I don't know what else a unique map boss would be.

Leatherhead
Jul 3, 2006

Papercut posted:

The boss from a unique map

Oh duh, thanks.

Leatherhead
Jul 3, 2006

I wanted to do Marauder this league (due to limited play time I can pretty much only do 1character a league), and it seems like BF/BB Chieftain is in a really good place.

Does Ziz have a written guide somewhere, or is it only his video and the POB link? This is only my third league so I still benefit from some hand-holding when it comes to gearing and such.

There's this guide from another dude: https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2910945, but parts of it seem...suspect.

Leatherhead
Jul 3, 2006

No Safe Word posted:

his POBs all have extensive notes sections, I don't think he does written guides otherwise

That'll probably be enough, thanks; so long as I can get some insight on WHY I'm doing poo poo instead of just rote duplication.

Leatherhead
Jul 3, 2006

frankenbeans posted:

Don't forget to jump on standard and book your leeague-based pun names. I found out Bitchual was already taken :(

I'm squatting on 'RichieRitual'

Leatherhead
Jul 3, 2006

Hell yeah, nothing like dying in T4 Pillars of Arun because POE stopped responding to my mouse entirely.

What did they DO in that last update?! I've never had any technical problems with this game before this league, and now I've had CTDs, slowdown, and a crazy amount of pop-in, including invisible monsters and walking around Oriath without a head every time I log in.

Leatherhead
Jul 3, 2006

I'm trying to get a little better at pricing items. I sold this for 1ex but it went pretty quickly. Did I undervalue it?
(Sorry it's text, I copied it as I was selling it)

Rarity: Rare
Entropy Weaver
Imbued Wand
--------
Wand
Physical Damage: 28-53
Elemental Damage: 4-158 (augmented)
Critical Strike Chance: 7.00%
Attacks per Second: 1.50
--------
Requirements:
Level: 59
Int: 188
--------
Sockets: B-B
--------
Item Level: 80
--------
34% increased Spell Damage (implicit)
--------
Adds 4 to 158 Lightning Damage
+32% to Global Critical Strike Multiplier
0.33% of Physical Attack Damage Leeched as Mana
Adds 1 to 5 Lightning Damage to Attacks with this Weapon per 10 Intelligence
--------
Shaper Item

Leatherhead
Jul 3, 2006

ZyrKx posted:

Yeah you scammed yourself. With some simple harvest crafting that’s like a 20+ wand

Well, live and learn, thanks. At least I've gotten to the point where I realize it isn't something to drop in the 5-chaos tab.

Leatherhead
Jul 3, 2006

I just had an amazing trade interaction. I was selling a gem for 1 exalt, and a guy messaged me asking me to take the 80 chaos instead. Current rate is 97 chaos, plus my gem was the cheapest on the market (by about .3 exalt) because I'm trying to make some fast cash for upgrades.

I told him I needed the exalt, and invited him, assuming he would come if he had the exalt to pay. He tells me 'buy it'. I leave my map, not optimistic, and sure enough he tries to give me 80 chaos. So I cancel, kick him, and head back to my map.

He begins messaging me in Portuguese, and I just got a chance to translate it:
"Are you the son of a repairman?! Make me leave my map just to see your dry rear end!?!!"

Sold it three minutes later to someone else.

Leatherhead
Jul 3, 2006

Can I get a quick character audit?
https://pastebin.com/808XVCha

I'm not having any problems with maps, but certain bosses are kicking my rear end.
1. This is my first time getting around to fighting the Shaper, and I've bricked both of my attempts. This was surprising since I can do Elder deathless and Sirus A8.
2. First league fighting Aul too, and died 4 or 5 times before deciding not to waste sulphite for now.
3. My one attempt at the Hidden was just hilariously bad. I think I got one of them in six portals.

These are all new bosses for me, so obviously a certain amount is just learning the fights, but I figured there might be some easy boosts to my build I'm missing out of ignorance. Any help is appreciated.

Leatherhead
Jul 3, 2006

McFrugal posted:

Well, nobody else is doing it so I guess I will.
What kills you when fighting Shaper?
Hard to say; there are a lot of effects floating around and it's usually pretty sudden. I'm trying to be mindful of where I let the pools land, but it's possible I'm moving through those.

McFrugal posted:

Why do you have a 20q Forbidden Taste? Quality makes it last longer, during which it is damaging you. I don't think the extra dodge and phasing are worth the damage.
That's good to know, thanks. I think a big problem I have is how opaque so many of the systems are in this game. It's hard for me to crunch any numbers so I just kind of assumed 'it must be worth it'.

McFrugal posted:

You have a life on block shield and 33% block chance, but not glancing blows? It would only cost 2 passive points. It'll give you better defense, mana regen, AND damage.
This is the sort of obvious thing I was hoping for. I've never played a block character before (this is only the third character I've taken to maps), and I wasn't sure the trade off with taking 65% of the damage was worth it unless I could push my block chance higher.

McFrugal posted:

Why holy flame totem? You might want to consider a decoy totem instead.
This is mostly a relic from the campaign and early maps, and rarely even gets used. Since I was stacking fire damage I figured that would be the best call, but I'm open to decoy totem or any other suggestions if those would be more useful.

McFrugal posted:

You could throw money at your gear to get dex on it without losing anything, that'll save you passive points. Also there's no life on your first ring. Or your chest. Life on your gear is a bit lackluster in general.
The ring had a low tier life (+5 or something) that I annulled off, and I've been waiting in vain for a harvest to add a life mod. Should I cut my losses and just craft it over the Leo's, or would you suggest just replacing the ring wholesale?
Seems like overall my chest piece is lagging behind the most? If I was to replace one thing and try to get the 60 or so dex to free up those two passives, would that be the call?

totalnewbie posted:

Why do you have the unnatural calm wheel? You have 6 points give you 64 ES.
Yikes. This definitely comes from blindly following a build guide and never re-evaluating when my gear doesn't match up. That's a big gain, thank you.

totalnewbie posted:

Your arcane surge is level 20. It needs to be level 5.
Ok, just to make sure I understand, this is so the 'mana to gain surge' matches up better with the triggering skill and it actually triggers more often, right?

totalnewbie posted:

Change the enchant on your chest to +dex/quality. You want 15 dex way more than 15 life. Try to get all your dex from gear so you can drop the dex points on your tree, including versatility.
Didn't even think of this, which should have been obvious, thanks.

totalnewbie posted:

Get a timeless jewel for...corrupted soul
Would this in-an-of itself make unnatural calm worth it, or should I still repurpose those 6 passives?

I really appreciate you two taking a look. I've never had as much time to play as this league, so I've never really had to optimize for the real endgame. It's amazing to think how many hours I've sunk into this game and can still really not know what the hell I'm doing half the time

Leatherhead
Jul 3, 2006

I'm trying to clear the "kill Burtok while he's bleeding and you're affected by bone roil" challenge for one of my last to get to 36, but I'm BFBB chieftain.

I've been trying to kill him most of the way, then slotting in Double Strike+Chance to Bleed and Vulnerability, but it's not going great . I don't even know how to tell if he's bleeding. Also, if I have Avatar of Fire allocated, is it even possible to do bleeding with those skills, or does the physical changing to fire prevent that?

Basically, gently caress this challenge, and is there a less obnoxious way to do this?

Leatherhead
Jul 3, 2006

TheRat posted:

No. You must deal physical damage to cause a bleed.

I was afraid of that. Is there a way around it with totems or am I going to have to respec just to clear 1/4 of a challenge?

Leatherhead
Jul 3, 2006

sdr782 posted:

What are the other challenges you haven't done? I did 36 this league and the one you are working on was one of the 4 I skipped (Also skipped EGG, 12 uncharted realm passive and boss witnesses)

The three you mentioned and conditional Maven were the ones I was going to skip.

I'm very bad at the Maven fight, largely because I don't even really understand the memory game. I get that she's showing me where to go in what order, but I don't know when that's happening vs when I'm supposed to actually do it, and the screen's always full of junk so I can barely see it (I'm color blind, which might be part of it, idk).

Leatherhead
Jul 3, 2006

dyzzy posted:

Maybe get a raise spectre gem and raise a mob that applies bleeds? I just did it with a bleed gladiator

e: knitted horrors from dried lake?

This might work. There's no way to grab those partway through a map, right? I'd need to bring them in and hope they survive while I rush to the boss? Or also slot a desecrate?

e: Sounds like buying a carry is by far the quickest, thanks.

Leatherhead
Jul 3, 2006

TheRat posted:

Just spec out of avatar of fire for that one boss, it's one regret

You had it right. After dropping Avatar of Fire the doublestrike/vulnerability swap actually worked first try. I thought it would have a much lower chance of success.

Thanks for the help everyone!

Leatherhead
Jul 3, 2006

Well, my 36 challenges ended up being everything but EGG, 1200 witnesses, 12 Atlas points, and HARVEST, because in two months I never once saw the Heart of the Grove.

Huge learning season for me, including my first Shaper, Sirus A8, simulacrum, 5-slot atlas, delve boss and probably some others I'm forgetting. Thanks to everyone here and in 5555 for the help.

I think next season I'm gonna go Ranger, since I've never played one at all. What are people's favorites, if basically every build is still new to me?

Leatherhead
Jul 3, 2006

Remi's guide posted:

> Flask reliant
As a pathfinder, you have to rely on your flasks to survive and have offense, so you need to piano flask all the time to maintain your dps and defenses, overflasking might actually kill you so you'd also have to be careful on that.

I haven't even made the character yet, but I already know I'm going to do this. I always end up mashing my flasks hard when I'm panicking.

Leatherhead
Jul 3, 2006

gently caress it; I'm gonna go TR pathfinder anyway. It's not like I ever play builds to their full potential anyway because I'm bad at the game, and maybe everyone else bailing will drive down prices on relevant gear.

E: Wait, I'm not crazy, this used to be a Pathfinder, not a Deadeye, right?

https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2866127

Leatherhead
Jul 3, 2006

I'm in, wasting a spot by playing leisurely through the campaign and picking up wisdom scrolls.
:getin:

Leatherhead
Jul 3, 2006

Estraysian posted:

I was grabbing my quicksilver quest reward when I dc'd and now I'm at 140k in queue so I guess I'm going to bed

Literally this just happened to me as well.

Leatherhead
Jul 3, 2006

whydirt posted:

looks like the queue is starting to speed up a bit

Lots of us deciding to just play tomorrow.

Leatherhead
Jul 3, 2006

Zenithe posted:

Leaving Fairgraves stuck is the morally correct thing to do.

But then how could I farm Mao Kun??

Leatherhead
Jul 3, 2006

Tenzarin posted:

Best part was not looking at rewards and then the screen goes dark and all you can see is the trialmaster bum rushing your rear end.

I wouldn't know, I never saw him in the 3(?) weeks before I quit. Or a single raw exalt.

Christ, maybe I'll just start playing standard, and try some of the super high-end content they're apparently about to make it even less likely for me to grind to.

Leatherhead
Jul 3, 2006

I don't understand exactly how hard flasks have been nerfed. They switched the verbiage on all of the flasks from 'removes' to grants 'immunity for 1 second'. Does that mean:
A) When you become immune the ailment is effectively removed because it can't apply to you?
B) The ailment stays on you but for one second it's not doing its damage.

And if it's B, isn't it just going to kill me a second later because I have no way of removing it?

Forgive me if I have a basic misunderstanding of the way something works. I'm not usually piano-ing flasks but I would definitely hammer them all the moment I started taking DoT or saw an ailment trigger.

Leatherhead
Jul 3, 2006

Oh thank god.

Leatherhead
Jul 3, 2006

Oh god no reaper what did you do to Einhar jesus christ

Leatherhead
Jul 3, 2006

euphronius posted:

Enkis arc … hierophant ?

I've been trying to run a league with each of the base characters, and all I've got left is Templar and Duelist, so I think I'm gonna try this, thanks.

https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/3147914

No reason to doubt Enki, but nothing pops out as a terrible idea, right?

Leatherhead
Jul 3, 2006

Canine Blues Arooo posted:

Welcome to my PoE Ted Talk

Incoming Damage Variance

The scariest poo poo in the game is not Sirus or Uber Elder - that poo poo you can plan around, and the rules and outcomes are relatively clear. No - the scariest poo poo is a demon with Powerful Crits being buffed by 'Allies deal substantially more physical damage' and 'Allies have faster attacks' next to an accuracy totem, accompanied by a mob who just hex touched you for Vulnerability. When the stars align in a way to gently caress your day up, your day will be hosed. Fortify was the Universal Answer™ to damage variance in the game, and cratering that mechanic leaves players increasingly vulnerable to a perfect storm of poo poo that can one tap you off from a mile away. The fix here is not 'buff fortify'.

The fix here as I see it is that these high variance ought to be removed. Mobs should not be able to crit. These auras stacking on auras stacking on auras need to go. Every pack in the game may as well have the action speed aura at this point. Trying to figure out where the source of auras is in combat isn't real. Burn it all with fire.

A steady stream of changes over the last 5 years has made it so that the game is faster for both the players and the monsters, and that more and more rare mobs are stacked into a tighter space. The result of this is that you are increasingly likely to actually be in a position where all those auras are stacked on top of a mob who's base damage is very high. The vast majority of character deaths from our crew are not from hard bosses - it's from one shots that we only have a chance of understanding if we have Shadowplay running, which leads us nicely too...

I feel this. Whenever a rare cage-monster shows up now, my game turns into a Benny Hill boss fight as my poor hierophant runs down the hallway stopping every few seconds to shoot off a single bolt of lightning at the unstoppable death train pursuing him.

Expedition thoughts
The league mechanic is 'fine'. gently caress the game for making me pick that stuff up and hand it to the NPC standing right next to me.
I actually liked the Act 1 rework, but I'm a slow player who can't help engaging with the campaign anyway, so I don't think it caught me quite so offguard. I definitely didn't have any difficulties with it.

I don't totally understand the extent to which they nerfed movement skills, but trying to play the way I'm used to, flame dash feels awful now. I guess it's just the increased cooldown, and I can't ping around like I usually do? Whatever it is, Betrayal encounters feel a lot harder now, and this is the first time I've understood what people were complaining about with 'doors of death' in heist.

Overall, with the power drop, I'm having less fun than usual, but not ENOUGH less to stop playing. If they're walking back a couple things, or even stopping here, I'm probably still onboard. But if they follow up with another round of nerfs that might be enough to drive me away.

Lastly, is it 'normal' to get to maps without seeing a single Expedition logbook? I've even been tagging every remnant that says it increased their drop rates, but nothing. Are they supposed to be end-game content?

Leatherhead
Jul 3, 2006

A question about Agnostic:

I've been playing Enki's Hierophant (slowly, I'm just filling out white maps) and I've never played a build with Agnostic tagged before. If I'm giving up all of my energy shield, why is all the gear set as energy shield items? Is it just because ES items are Int based and more likely to roll all the blue sockets I need? Or is there something else I'm missing that means I shouldn't take Armor/Evasion gear if it has the blues I need?

https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/3147914

Leatherhead
Jul 3, 2006

External Organs posted:

You're right, it's because of the sockets. The stats are unfortunately against you - it'd be absurdly unlikely to get the color sockets you need on, say, an Armor armor (lol).

Agnostic is usually extremely strong though. I doubt you'll miss ES.

Edit: theoretically, the new Ward stuff has an easier chance of rolling all sockets, I believe they're not weighted any particular way. You also can find weird off color six sockets from vaal side areas, but they'll be corrupted - you'll see these for trade frequently.

Ok cool, thanks. That's an interesting thought about ward, I hadn't even considered it. I won't deliberately seek out armor/evasion items since I'm unlikely to get enough to matter, but I wanted to make sure I didn't need to eliminate them from trade searches for some obscure reason.

And yes, Agnostic made a huge improvement. I was getting melted by any content I couldn't keep distance from until I tagged that keystone, now I've got a fighting chance in places like rituals.

Leatherhead
Jul 3, 2006

Drakyn posted:

Pour one out for Enki's Arc Witch, which was no longer Witch and now isn't even Arc.

And to be honest, can't make any noises about it. Arc felt redundant whenever I cast it when I could just shoot ball lightning safely from four thousand miles away and kill anything that wasn't made of tissue paper faster.

As someone following this build, who just made the swap, it's better to a ludicrous degree. Like, I'm almost mad how much easier maps just got, and the amount of content I can tackle comfortably just about doubled due to the reduced mana strain alone.

Leatherhead
Jul 3, 2006

shimmy shimmy posted:

How far are you? I'm considering it as a build for when I hop into the league late.

I was just breaking into yellow maps, but after the switch it looks like I'm going to shoot up to red as a matter of course. After this change, I'd definitely prioritize getting a Pledge of Hands as your first major upgrade, it seems to be a way bigger multiplier on the BL setup than it was on the Arc setup.

E: And for the record I don't have a single 6-link, just 5-link PoH and 5-link armor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leatherhead
Jul 3, 2006

Bright Future posted:

I'm still doing the campaign (just finished the lunar temple) and don't think I've looted any maps other than a single expedition logbook. I'll link my character when I get home and would really appreciate any tips. I only just realized last night that I didn't need to have both my vaal and regular ancestral warrior gems slotted at the same time. . .

One very basic thing I didn't realize the first time through is how much you should lean on the crafting bench in your hideout for early survival. Any of your rare gear that has an open suffix on it (hold alt to see what mods on an item are prefixes or suffixes, you can have three of each), craft resistances. Anything with an open prefix, add life.