Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Captain Foo)
How do you feel about Archnemesis mods on rares?
Incredibly fun, I love them!
They're alright
Needs more work
Almost as much fun as shoving a red hot nail under my fingernail
Other (post below)
View Results

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

TheRat posted:

There's no downside of playing a bit the final few days of 2.6, but waiting for 3.0 is entirely fine too

Don't most people play the challenge leagues, and those are rotating out on launch? I was playing for a bit but now I am considering waiting for the new league to show up and then restart.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
Should I take any elemental resist nodes that I can get at in the passive tree, or could that be covered by equipment?

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

TheRat posted:

Yes, and yes. Take them if you need them and remove them when you no longer need them.

Speaking of respect points: Can a node in the middle of a path be removed, or can nodes at the ends of paths can only be removed?

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

TheRat posted:

You cannot break a path, it must always be connected. The only exceptions are shenanigans with Scion ascendancy and the jewel Intuitive Leap.

So basically if I get some node(s) that I may want to refund later, I shouldn't path through them. Good to know.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
I am concidering a Dual Wield Gladiator for my first character with Cleave, and switch to Lacerate once I got that. Does that seem doable?

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
Everyone says to figure out what keystones you want and go for them, but all the keystones are varying degrees of sucks :(

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

whypick1 posted:

Care to expand on this?

I think it may be because I am planning a melee focused build, but they either do nothing for the character I am planning to build or has an annoying sounding caveat. Which I suppose is the point but I can't really figure out which one I would like.

That being said, taking another look now, Resolute Technique sounds like something I could use. Resolute Technique and Iron Reflexes too if I am sure I would be tanky enough.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

whypick1 posted:

Yes, the point of the Keystones is to have some sort of associated drawback. For melee, RT and IR are very popular choices (Unwavering Stance as well). If you're not going crit, RT is almost a no-brainer since it completely lets you ignore accuracy. If you're not using Evasion as your primary mitigation stat, then IR and US make sense as you can use hybrid AR/EV gear and possibly get higher total armor and you can use said armor to shrug off the extra hits you'll be taking while enjoying never getting stunlocked.

Chaos Innoculation is another good example. Complete immunity to chaos damage (the hardest one to cap and the one most likely to show up as DoT, which means armor/evasion/block are useless), but with only 1 life you need to really invest into ES and also deal with ailments and stun that are based on % of effective life. If you can make the additional investment to deal with the drawbacks, the upsides are great.

Oops, yeah, I meant to put down Unwavering Stance with Iron Reflexes.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
Initially came for build advice, but screw it, I am doin' it live :getin:

Unlucky7 fucked around with this message at 08:51 on Aug 2, 2017

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

Cory in the Blouse posted:

Pathfinder relies on expensive flasks, and most of the unique flasks have been nerfed. Usually a league starter is a spec that can quickly farm dried lake to mid 70s and steamroll through most map mods to open up the atlas without spending a lot of currency rerolling dangerous mods, or without clearing the maps too slowly due to danger.

Actual cheap builds:
Sunder or EQ zerker, jugg, or slayer
SRS or AW necro (AW works well as guardian too). Baron helm is good even without stacking strength, but gives you a fairly straightforward gearing endgame
Necro spellcaster of some kind using bone offering
Scorching ray inquisitor or berserker, possibly with CWC firestorm, Also good as trickster, but requires more gear.
I never can get into bow builds so no suggestions here. The only suggestion I can give is to have either a barrage setup or chin sol puncture trap in a swap
Arc or GC mine sabo is actually good if you can get a covenant. Breaking the unique rule here because nobody really uses this item. You do really want 1-2 detonate mines gems though (one for a totem, one for CWDT)

Generally league starters avoid the following things, or transition into them:
Energy shield as primary defense
Anything that performs poorly when mostly stacking life and resists
Specific uniques, even ones that settle to cheap prices, as high demand can make them hard to get early league
Tabula reliance
Non-cold conversion builds

If your build doesn't work in a 4 link with 75 skill points while still wearing a goldrim and two alched coral or two stone rings, you probably shouldn't make it your first build unless you wanna live in dried lake doing the chaos recipe.

I was thinking of going Dual Wield Gladiator. Does that end up being expensive for a first character?

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

please knock Mom! posted:

Some skills like sunder only use your main hand weapon which frees up your offhand for a stat stick like tempestuous steel or prismatic eclipse. Dual wielding gives you 10% more aspd, 15% block, and 20% more attack physical damage.

Additionally you can game the system by using an offhand stat stick that can't be used with your attack skill, like a sword for dual wield EQ. It won't be used then, so you gain the dw bonuses while only having to buy one weapon.

Forgive me if this sounds rude, but using a skill that only uses the main hand while DW sounds non optimal at best. Then again, so are a lot of things that are fun :v:. My question is: does the benefits of DW outweigh what a good 2H weapon could do with those types of skills?

Unlucky7 fucked around with this message at 08:43 on Aug 4, 2017

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

Vulpes posted:

Guess I'll see you guys in a while :smith:

This is a great post/avatar + avatar text combo.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
Is there no way to find out how much % life you have from the passive tree, save adding up the nodes yourself?

Also, this mini map system owns.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
I am still farting along Act 1 and I think I am near the end of it. Dumb story questions: Did I miss any dialogs with the town crew about who Piety actually is around the time she shows up? It is weird to see them act like she was always a known quantity in the dialogs that I did catch, which makes me think I missed a midquest one. Then again, no one is talking about the traveling priest that may or may not be going insane or the half dead seer, so v:v:v...

Also, Bestel is my homeboy.

Unlucky7 fucked around with this message at 10:35 on Aug 6, 2017

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
Well, I accidentally priced myself out of Vilgilant Strike because I was using an amulet that had Intelligence on it and did not realize it was a stat that the skill used. Still, it was a nice skill to have for its buff but by no means essential, at least where I am at now (Just beat the Act 1 boss), and I still have that aforementioned amulet in case I need it again. Though I may as well take a node that provides some Intelligence provided that it is not out of the way.

More Dumb Story Stuff, but I like the voice acting on the Duelist, particularly his post fight comments. Most ARPGs have your character make some Joss Whedon-esque one liner and honestly it is no different here, but here with that particular character he sounds exhausted and elated, coming off an adrenaline high, which I think is a nice touch.

Also, uh, apparently Steam thinks that I got the Omniponent achievement after clearing my first Vaal area, even though the client obviously says I do not have it. I have seen this happen with other games so I am pretty sure it is some weirdness with my steam client.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
Since there are no more difficulty levels now, should I just kill all the bandits in Act 2 for the skill points?

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
And I just realized that Wreaclast is literally Dark Fantasy Austrailia :v:

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
I know that Orbs of Binding were just introduced, and they apparently can only be got by shards from Harbys. Still, should I hang on to these for trade later on?

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
Hur hur these MTXs are ridiculous. No way anyone goes for them.

...the goon thinks as he browses the MTX store in town, full of people with glowy weapons, tentacle wings, and flaming skulls.

Jokes aside, I have a question: Should I go ahead and use Vaal orbs for leveling, or keep them for trade?

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
When do you start getting Jewels for the passive tree? I am one node away from a jewel slot right now (Two if I need to activate it with a skill point) and I am wondering if I should go ahead and take it or wait till I actually have something to use.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

NecroMonster posted:

d3 is also about gear checks rather than build checks (where as poe is about build checks first and gear checks second)

poe gives you little outside of the choices you make and emphasizing those choices means that bad choices are a possiblity.

anyway. Just get more % life on the tree and prioritize life then resists on your gear this isn't hard.

I did get a few elemental resist nodes and am heading towards a keystone. Sort of considering specimen out of those nodes when I can so I can work my way towards more life. Does that seem sound?

EDIT: Maybe I should keep the elemental resist nodes for now but refund the one node I got to make my way towards the keystone, then spec out of them once I got the respec points (Still only have 2 at the moment) and I can cover those elemental resistances.

Unlucky7 fucked around with this message at 08:43 on Aug 8, 2017

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
Just to be sure, it is better to focus on a Defense stat, like all Armor or all Evasion, and not both, right? I am considering going for Iron Reflexes.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
Late to the party on this post but...

whypick1 posted:

Haku and Elreon will be the only ones to show up in A1, Tora and Catarina will show up starting A2, Vagan and Vorici A3. Zana is the very very very last mission before endgame and Leo is just chilling in A3 town waiting for you to invite him.

After a master is able to show up there's even odds any one of them will show up.

I only encountered Elreon while in Act 1 and I am currently in Act 2. Will Haku show up eventually going forward to do I need to go through Act 1 areas again until I see him?

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

TheRat posted:

PSA: The patch that just landed fixed the broken harbinger buffs.

So the enemies were supposed to be buffed? Well, lets see if that actually affects things.

The problem with Harbingers, at least how I see it, is that once you seen one, you pretty much seen them all: A floating invulnerable blue rear end in a top hat that teleports in trash mobs and then explodes into shards. After a while they fade in with the fight->loot->repeat core loop and don't really change anything.

Anyway, I am trying to get over some decision paralysis on where to go in my passive tree. I think I will go for the big life ring near the center. I still got a lot of anxiety about if I am taking enough life and hopefully that big chunk will put it to rest a bit.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
Act 2 down and on to Act 3. I got to say it was really weird when Greust suddenly started screaming how "they" locked him in the booth and are making him record the same lines over and over, even though he was standing there like always. Not sure what he was talking about.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
gently caress, I was hoping that the new league would have started this week to match up with my vacation, but may I can figure out what I want to do till then.

I am thinking of doing a spellcaster or spellcaster-ish character, so should I start off with a Templar or a Witch? I also know that I should be beelining for the nearest maximum life nodes, so I figure that Templar's proximity to the strength portion of the sphere grid would make that a bit easier.

Also will someone PLEASE make the Marauder STOP HITTING HIMSELF?!

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
Okay yeah, I watched the Engineering Eternity video on the passive tree again and it looks like I should be going for energy shield in lieu of (if not in complete replacement of) maximum life for Int focused characters

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
So, dumb question, what with the new league coming up in a few weeks: how do you all come up with (or generate, as the case may be) character names?

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

Xeras posted:

Cool. A dumb and bad way to fix strike skills instead of just actually fixing the skills.

Is there an issue with physical skills?

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
Are there any other channeling like melee skills. I just remembered my old duelist had Lacerate and I really liked it. Really, anything that I can point somewhere and things would start dying in that general direction.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

redneck nazgul posted:

Actual channeling? Cyclone, Blade Flurry, and Charged Dash.

AoE that's technically 'melee'? Lacerate, Sunder, Ground Slam, Earthquake, Perforate.

Thanks, and apologies for mangling the terminology.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
Going on PoE vault and trying to have an idea about what I want to play. I am between a Lacerate Gladiator or a Earthquake Slayer. I did use the former skill last I played, but I know it is good.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
Being a furious dumbass and trying to do something similar to a Lacerate Gladiator (https://www.poe-vault.com/guides/lacerate-gladiator-build-guide). Can Death_By_Papercut be invited to the guild?

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
If I want to make a Witch this time around, coming from more melee oriented characters, what should I keep in mind?

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
Man, feels like every time I come back to this game it looks a little better.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
I know the joke in building a PoE character is "Take more life/energy shield than you need", and that is what I am trying to aim for (though it is really annoying typing in "life" in the search and not being able to filter out the minion life nodes). Still, should I take + Specific Elemental Damage nodes? On the one hand I want to keep myself free enough to pivot on a build if I want to. On the other, Freezing Pulse and Frost Bomb are getting quite a bit done for me.

EDIT: It should be mentioned I am still in Act I and am very early on :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

Salt Fish posted:

If you can hit 300hp per act you're doing fine. Once you get to maps you can aim for 4k/5k/6k in white/yellow/red maps.

Is that also including energy shield?