Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MREBoy
Mar 14, 2005

MREs - They're whats for breakfast, lunch AND dinner !
Dev stream info dump !

Special guest person - Julian, their concept artist
0.20 by end of year, 2 big feature reveals today, entire team working on 0.20, "We're rebuilding the world". Will be biggest update in game history.

Community Highlights - a painting by someone from 82DK clan, 3D printed Collie tank, more tank drawings

Dec 11th, final preview of 0.20, also 2 yr. anniversary of the game

Dec 12th nominal date for 0.20 release, named "Foundation of War", town combat revamped, adding special buildings only for towns.

Colonial & Warden battle tanks ! A Medium/possibly Heavy tank, named Lance-36 for collies, Flood Mk1 for Wardens. End of tech tree, much harder to produce, will require team effort to make/use, crew of 5, has crewed hull MG position, supposed to be a special occurrence, uses tons of Refined fuel, can use normal but "You don't want to do that". Engineer role is 5th spot for tank, repair tank from inside & reloads main gun, limited storage onboard, must balance loadout of fuel/ammo/mats, HMG turret ammo uses storage space, will use 12.7mm ammo, New tank has own main gun ammo type, these tanks have been in processing for over a year, Colonial tank & turret inspired by Cromwell/KV-1, Warden from Tiger, also draws from ARL 39/44, other tank types possible (turretless AT mentioned), new tank has several times of health over light but subject to adjustment, "2 orders of magnitude" more resources needed to make

New building ! Ammo Factory, only 3 in entire world, 1st of "capture-able unique building" concept, makes special ammo for tanks, has 3 unlock-able facilities, new ammo types are AP, HE, Shrapnel, can be made for all tanks, lights can use normal + 1 type only?, normal + 2 for heavy tank?, Engy spot in heavy tank is also loader, he swaps ammo type

More reveals next stream, Dec 11th

Q&A! Someone brought up ppl AFKing in new tank engy spot loving things up, response was effectively "make sure you have ppl you can trust", tank meant for groups with high co-ordination. More amphibious content in future, far off in production timeline, possibly 1Q19. New shells for arty ? "Yes, next question!". Engy tank role boring ? "There are things in game that are boring, don't play Engy then". Engy will have tank health displayed to him (actual number/percent), may have to decide between loading gun or fixing tank. Smoke shells for arty ? Probably. "Kangaroo" type personnel transport possible. Std generic tank shell in game currently will be the "balanced" type compared to others. More ppl going on about vehicle towing, "read FAQ" (aka not right now). How to make certain things in game less repetitive ? Stuff coming in future to address this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

I like the trend of integrating French vehicle designs into Warden vehicles despite the huge numbers of Wehraboos in the Foxhole Discord.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
It's a good design choice.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Good design and good ethical choice since the Nazi worshipping is gross and the game's meant to be modeled after WW1 anyway.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Pretty sure it is a grab bag of pretty much early to mid 20th century war man stuff design wise.

Delacroix
Dec 7, 2010

:munch:
The hull MG will be the best aspect of the tank unless its' elevation is rear end. It will still exhaust shells in a minute and perform a decorative role of being placed in neatly arranged rows.

Vehicle towing would be so much better than a new tank since tech parts are stretched so thin.

Danann posted:

I like the trend of integrating French vehicle designs into Warden vehicles despite the huge numbers of Wehraboos in the Foxhole Discord.

A loooot of warden players like to think they're the Germans despite their character wearing the Adrian helmet in the bluish-grey of the French. :cripes:

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Delacroix posted:

The hull MG will be the best aspect of the tank unless its' elevation is rear end. It will still exhaust shells in a minute and perform a decorative role of being placed in neatly arranged rows.

lol this summarizes Foxhole better than anything else I've read

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

The natural endpoint of Foxhole is a nail-biting bayonet fight in a map-wide Ratte vehicle depot that someone built and parked a week ago.

MREBoy
Mar 14, 2005

0.20 dev branch was kicked loose a little bit ago. While the patch notes say the new tank would not be available, people were able to get some details on it. Gonna take hella time to get the blueprints made, and that's after dumping 5,000 research bits into unlocking it :stonklol: :

Also the new shell types aren't exactly gonna be cheap :retrogames: :

More reading:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1AMvUuren6Cu7gbekOQo_zUV5t_0J2uvirM6BF0ZBMSs/edit#heading=h.7ic8b6n1nhgy

MREBoy
Mar 14, 2005

Watched the dev stream on youtube a bit ago as I had to work when it was on live. Last big reveal today for 0.20 was that V-2 style player launchable ICBMs were added to the game :stare: .

I'm not kidding :crossarms: :wtc: .

- Players have to build the thing, 2 parts mentioned were Booster Part and Warhead Part.
- Can hit any zone in game from a launch site. Launch sites are scattered around the world.
- Requires Refined fuel, 12 hrs to fuel if you want to blast something in the same zone, 24 hrs otherwise.
- Structures hit by it are perma-dead for that war, including Victory town locations. Destroyed Victory towns are removed from the number needed to achieve total victory.
- Requires teamwork, spotter has to spot location & survive for 10 minutes, 3 ppl minimum needed at launch site to launch it. People in target area are warned when launched.
- Special care was taken to minimize possibility of troll/griefing usage of this. Devs also say they don't expect this to be spammable due to requirements in mats/teamwork + other behind the scenes coding.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

And now many a vehicle parking lot will get nuked.

Delacroix
Dec 7, 2010

I think the game is long past the stage where any more simcity or lategame additions can have a larger and immediate impact than improving the early/middle flow of weapons and tech. Jeeps and radio backpacks were the last good inclusions.

No matter which map you go, it's inevitable you'll be fighting in a town devoid of ammunition for any of the fancy stuff that has been flipped so many times most of the buildings are either unbuilt or belong to the other side and haven't been destroyed yet, both equally problematic.

MREBoy
Mar 14, 2005

Some details on the new rocket:

Warhead part is made at the new ammo factory building, cost is 1,000 Emats and 200 RMats
Booster part is 1,500 tech bits to unlock, Blueprint at the tech factory requires 400 Scrap AND 100 Tech Upgrade bits to make, takes 24 hrs for one blueprint to process
Fuel: 720 for inzone target, 1440 for other zones
Port bases are explicity disallowed as targets
Each launch site is single use only
AoE effect, 80 meter area (so most of a large map square)

MREBoy fucked around with this message at 00:45 on Dec 13, 2018

Delacroix
Dec 7, 2010

It might be punching down incredibly hard but hearing the terror of new players on local voip as you run them down in a jeep is an immense joy.

Hephasto
Oct 11, 2007
I agree, I agree, it's all about that skreee.
Even if I wasn't having an absolute blast with the game otherwise, the ensuing meltdown on the Warden side about the use of their first V2 was worth the price of admission.

Vorenus
Jul 14, 2013
I got this a week ago and it's great. I wish there was more explanation of mechanics and tactics, but if you're capable of learning from your own mistakes the game will teach you pretty quickly. If a tutorial said "You can never fire a RPG over these cobblestone walls even if the LOS indicator is clear," I wouldn't likely remember that. On the other hand, attempting to actually fire a RPG over said walls is an effective and hilarious lesson.

MREBoy
Mar 14, 2005

The RPG projectile actually has a ballistic arc component to it, and doesn't fly in a perfectly level manner. If you put the aim spot past what you are shooting at it will angle it up a bit more and can clear some obstacles. Another reason to know this is that trying to fire a RPG uphill or downhill (even a slight incline) has a good chance to plow it into the ground or fly over your target if you don't compensate.

And in other news the 3rd nuke of the game was used about 5 hrs ago. The Collies launched the rocket in Endless Shore at Ogmarin in Mooring County. This makes 3 used total, 2 of which were not in a totally retarded manner. The last rocket is in Weathered Expanse, so it should be interesting to see if that one actually gets used before the war ends.

MREBoy fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Dec 29, 2018

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

So I bought this on a whim and I'm loving it so far. Last night I spent two hours sitting in a gunboat just spotting targets for my gunner and then making trips around the map to clear up random enemy fortifications. Today I spent like an hour gathering raw materials and then started ferrying people and supplies to the front lines. On a return trip my truck got hit by a tank so I bailed and ran back to base while telling everyone in team chat that the road was cut off.

Awesome.

Is there a decent new player guide anywhere? I feel like there's tons of stuff that the devs just leave for you to figure out on your own.

MREBoy
Mar 14, 2005

Handsome Ralph posted:

So I bought this on a whim and I'm loving it so far. Last night I spent two hours sitting in a gunboat just spotting targets for my gunner and then making trips around the map to clear up random enemy fortifications. Today I spent like an hour gathering raw materials and then started ferrying people and supplies to the front lines. On a return trip my truck got hit by a tank so I bailed and ran back to base while telling everyone in team chat that the road was cut off.

Awesome.

Is there a decent new player guide anywhere? I feel like there's tons of stuff that the devs just leave for you to figure out on your own.

Asking in here is probably the best way to get some info, or get on the Discord and ask there too. If you want to mess around with stuff and not get killed the home islands have an actual military style training area to the south and a vehicle/arty playground to the north.

War News: Last rocket was used by Collies against Solas Gorge in Callahans Pass. At this moment the Warden side has basically gone "gg, fuckit, imout" for the most part. Every single map in the game right now is Wardens camped into the port bases & Collies upgrading V-Towns (24/31 as of a minute ago) to trigger a win. Speaking of winning, apparently the significant number of noobs joining up recently (daily prime time population highs are hitting 1600+ routinely with a max of 1,718 on 26 Dec) has revealed the fact that the Skirmish system can't deal with the number of people that would be playing so the devs have decided (for the moment) it's a 1 hour break after the Collies win and then straight to the next war.

Vorenus
Jul 14, 2013
Colonials finally won. We were holding in a couple of areas, Spear in Weathered Expanse and White Chapel in Callahan's Passage both turned back several assaults. The Colonials made a huge push/turnaround during Christmas, and any chance the Wardens had evaporated in the midst of 3 days of factional infighting and "NO U!" after Jade Cove.

This is a good game, but there really needs to be an option to turn off World chat. At the very least, allow for text muting people who aren't on the same map.

Also be careful using the official Discord, you have a high chance of contracting diseases that make cancer look like a common cold.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

So when you choose a faction, does it look you to that faction for he entirety of that war or just that session? I thought it was the entire war but I guess I'm wrong...

MREBoy
Mar 14, 2005

It locks you to that faction for the whole war, but you get about a 6 minute grace period to change once you pick one side. After that you have to go to the mods to get swapped. If you are referencing the fact it asks you to click either Warden or Colonial every time you log in, that's just a bug & won't actually change your faction.

And in other news the crush of people trying to get in right now is causing server instability & queues just to get into the home islands :lol: .

Turd Herder
May 21, 2008

BALLCOCK BALLCOCK BALLCOCK BALLCOCK
I've been playing with a colonial clan lately. This game has come a long ways. They just announced that the entire map will be fluid. The section crossing isnt just squares any more but hexagon shaped zones.

A huge logi update is coming too but I haven't seen all of this video yet.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fIYygqAcgTQ

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.
Didn't know any other goons were playing this game! It's fun enough but right now after all the restarts/short wars the active playerbase has collapsed and people seem to be just waiting for the big update.

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

FWIW it seems like the only answer they've arrived at is to make logistics more of a pain in the rear end for non-sockpoopers who don't have spreadsheets and websites keeping track of their side's logistics. It's still going to be in that Goldilocks zone where it is both mindless and demanding on your attention from the short preview in that video.

Turd Herder
May 21, 2008

BALLCOCK BALLCOCK BALLCOCK BALLCOCK

Danann posted:

FWIW it seems like the only answer they've arrived at is to make logistics more of a pain in the rear end for non-sockpoopers who don't have spreadsheets and websites keeping track of their side's logistics. It's still going to be in that Goldilocks zone where it is both mindless and demanding on your attention from the short preview in that video.

I hope not but they did mention more strategic points of logi. So if you lose a map you may not have as much of a certain material.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.
So new update has been out ~12 hours now and it's not too shabby so far. The population is booming right now of course which helps but logi is at least more interesting and the numbers since the devstreams were tweaked more heavily in favour of less grind. Combat is still the same just with new maps and terrain.

Now is the time to rejoin or pick it up if you're interested.

E: Also it's apparently 40% off at $12 on steam.

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

So it turns out that the main way to enjoy logistics is to let the other suckers do all the scrapping for you and either be a teamster shuttling stuff back and forth or be a stevedore who unloads all the resources from containers, refines them, order goods with said resources, and then stuff the crates into the nearby storage depot.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Isn't "stevedore" there basically what "quartermaster" used to be?

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

I use the former because it more accurately describes the current situation especially since the amount of people working the factory towns are working in groups from 2 to 5+ just being busy attending to cargo containers, the refinery, factory, storage depot, and the local crane.

Also there's a lot less yelling at the rest of the team which is instead substituted by the frontline demanding 1000 bmats even though there's still 2000 bmats in the town hall. :shepface:

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
man this is pretty fun but boy is it god. loving. awful. when nobody is trying to whip the horde of redshirts into shape

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003
Foxhole's biggest flaw is that it doesn't demand a 2-hour long combat tactics and emplacement building exam before you even play the game. America's Army had the right idea.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I think Im gonna start playing this again

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012
Please give me free quality professional advice so I can be a baby about it and insult you
Trip report:

Drove to the team's factory to create ammo for the team. A group of 3 people surrounded me with their vehicles and demanded that I give them commends or else they won't let me out.

After going afk for 30 minutes in response, I drove off to get materials and make supplies of ammo and grenades for the team. When I returned, they surrounded me again.

After going afk for another 15 minutes or so and making the supplies, I reversed into one of the three people and so they got out of it and shot out my truck's engine and his friends teabagged the front of the truck as they talked poo poo over the voice chat. So now all of the supplies are just dead in the middle of the road.

Great community 0/10.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
i tried to tell you only fascists play wardens

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009

Love Stole the Day posted:

Drove to the team's factory to create ammo for the team. A group of 3 people surrounded me with their vehicles and demanded that I give them commends or else they won't let me out.

Give that screenshot to the mod team on discord along with any logs you may have. They typically respond pretty quickly and have zero tolerance for poo poo like that.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

Love Stole the Day posted:

Trip report:

After going afk for 30 minutes in response, I drove off to get materials and make supplies of ammo and grenades for the team. When I returned, they surrounded me again.

After going afk for another 15 minutes or so and making the supplies, I reversed into one of the three people and so they got out of it and shot out my truck's engine and his friends teabagged the front of the truck as they talked poo poo over the voice chat. So now all of the supplies are just dead in the middle of the road.

Great community 0/10.

Why didn't you just command them to let u out..?

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
new war starts tomorrow, might be a good time for goons to get in

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
Was a pretty good war overall with a few big swings in control. The first nukes all being able to hit major warden production centers was what finally closed it up.

Definitely the time to be playing for those interested in these types of dumb games.

E: Apparently missed this earlier but they're attempting East vs West this time which should be a bizarre change.

Rynoto fucked around with this message at 11:13 on Jul 5, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Okay somebody needs to do a quick summary in what has changed for the game since the last goon boom, it is on sale right now and might be the best time to get numbers rolling. I've only peeked at the odd blog post.