Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Patrat
Feb 14, 2012

I last played this not long after they started charging money, still, font memories of grinding together a fully outfitted half track then going on a massive murder rampage through a bunch of poor sods with only bolt action rifles in an open field.

So many people were run over that day as my enthusiastic pubbie assistant burnt through a few thousand machine gun rounds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

eonwe posted:

new war starts tomorrow, might be a good time for goons to get in

Do you still have to be level whatever to join the full war? I picked this up a year or so ago, but could never get enough commends and so was stuck in training wheels mode. Got bored. Quit.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.

SeanBeansShako posted:

Okay somebody needs to do a quick summary in what has changed for the game since the last goon boom, it is on sale right now and might be the best time to get numbers rolling. I've only peeked at the odd blog post.

So the last war was the first one with the big shiny new logistics update; also included was the swap from mismatched square maps to a single fluid map broken into hexes in preparation for when they eventually move to borderless.

Major points from the update:
-Complete Map Overhaul: The old maps are still mostly about but they have been chopped up and changed to fit into a significantly bigger map with many more terrain types and much more fluid combat. It's (imo) incredibly good.
-Complete Remove of Port Bases: They're gone. Dead. No more invulnerable areas with full construction facilities and abundant resources.
-Factory, Refinery, and Construction Yards: Instead of every city being able to be upgraded with uparts to do anything you now have specific cities with specific facilities (and much cheaper upart costs). Multiple cities on a map may have one type of facility but only a very few have two or all three making them vital strategic targets.
-Resource Overhaul: Scrap is dead. Sort of. Instead of having 1:1 resources of each specific type now the most basic of 'salvage' (aka scrap) refines into Diesel, BMats, and EMats for every days stuff and only the specialized resources are needed for specific items ie. Crude Oil into Petrol for tanks. On top of this refining change the sites for collecting resources have been changed into large fields that only respawn after a long period of time with the special ones being much, much rarer. This past war specifically there were some massive fights over oil and sulphur fields.
-Logistics Overhaul: Trucks are no longer the only transport! Now the most efficient way of transporting bulk crates (40) is through shipping containers. These containers require a special vehicle to move them about and cranes at each end to load them onto the vehicles and offload them into warehouses. The flatbeds can also carry tanks, fa, and fmgs on them which helps save fuel and actually makes the fmg worth using.

Major updates in general depending on how long people have been gone:
-Resistance phase: Now after a war is over the battle continues with each side taking towns to collect special materials that allow the construction of caches. These caches persist into the next war and allow a limited amount of special equipment to be stockpiled early. These are not able to hold mortars or sledges or blueprints.
-Relics: Special vehicles occasionally spawn out in the field for salvaging that fill specific roles with a limit of 3 types per war. Buses for troop transportation, a bigger truck for moving stuff, a staff car which is a faster luv and also has more storage, armored fighting tractor which is a tougher armored car, and the storm tank which is a stronger light tank.
-Aiming overhaul: Been in a few months now and is generally better. Still good to mention that it happened.

Special Mention:
-The last big logistics overhaul which moved from static buildings to the upgradable factories and refineries we have today. A lot of this changed to the new simpler system but still does exist in how it handles the actual building and refining of resources. Also from... half a year ago now?

E: Some future plans they've mentioned (probably next update) is a new special vehicle to harvest resources. Instead of waiting on the trickle from mines or having to hit nodes with hammers/sledges you can use a slow vehicle to bulk collect in safe areas. Personally looking forward to this one.

And now some negatives just to help balance this out:
-The refine ratio on special resources is insane and led to a very limited amount of LT/BT being used due to the cost of both fuel and shells. On top of this the gunnests (t2 foxholes) were changed to only require normal bmats to upgrade which meant they were spammed everywhere. And with no real (ranged) counter due to the explosives cost it set a real stalemate until nukes could wipe out production centers.
-The new logistics system is much less single player friendly so if you don't like interacting with other people this will be a huge headache.
-Resource scarcity led to (some) clans stockpiling away and abusing squad locks to steal vehicles.
-The new public option on refiners was implemented in the most stupid way possible with massively over the top times to pull resources out of the refineries stockpile. So now everyone is back to using private instead of wasting ten minutes just pulling things out.

Dangerllama posted:

Do you still have to be level whatever to join the full war? I picked this up a year or so ago, but could never get enough commends and so was stuck in training wheels mode. Got bored. Quit.
No. The full war is the only public thing available now outside of private servers. You can join with zero training - which is available in the spawn area - if you want.

Rynoto fucked around with this message at 15:34 on Jul 5, 2019

Turd Herder
May 21, 2008

BALLCOCK BALLCOCK BALLCOCK BALLCOCK

Love Stole the Day posted:

Trip report:

Drove to the team's factory to create ammo for the team. A group of 3 people surrounded me with their vehicles and demanded that I give them commends or else they won't let me out.

After going afk for 30 minutes in response, I drove off to get materials and make supplies of ammo and grenades for the team. When I returned, they surrounded me again.

After going afk for another 15 minutes or so and making the supplies, I reversed into one of the three people and so they got out of it and shot out my truck's engine and his friends teabagged the front of the truck as they talked poo poo over the voice chat. So now all of the supplies are just dead in the middle of the road.

Great community 0/10.

Go report them. They take Griefing pretty serious in this game.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.
40 minutes to the new east vs west war.
I'll personally be on collies again and go by 'Revanchism' if anyone new (or old) wants to be dumb grognards together.

https://foxholestats.com/ - A handy map for following the war.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
Should somebody PM the OP creator of the thread? some of the stuff is out of date? maybe a fresh new thread should help. The discord channel is still kicking and needs some fresh blood.

JerikTelorian
Jan 19, 2007

So we goons are playing this now? A few months ago interest seemed to have petered out.

I would love to mine for gears or drive trucks.

ICR
Dec 31, 2008

Cursed OP for hire, reporting for duty. We got some goons playing this and will be doing some game nights for it soon.

What I’m saying is, this is a perfect game for goons to play together. It’s still $11 and if you ever see yourself playing it at all and have $11 to spare, this is a good way to spend it.

Cheers.

HebrewMagic
Jul 19, 2012

Police Assault In Progress
I've been rolling with my personal crew and it is a lot of fun if you can put aside an evening to really dig in

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
just played and someone drove the crane from the storage facility to do... something?

game owns

HebrewMagic
Jul 19, 2012

Police Assault In Progress
I usually follow random cranes being driven to nowhere on foot, often getting some of my team to join me in praying to it as a god over voice chat

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Last night during the operational push we encountered a random Colly driving one of our crane builder vehicles that had for some reason had been brought up to the front and abandoned.

"WARDENS!" he declared attempting to slowly run us over as we casually surrounded, order his surrender and then proceeded to reduce the crane to junk with rapid rifle fire. Crazy bastard.

Vorenus
Jul 14, 2013
Do you all play Warden or Colonial? I played Warden for a few months before switching sides and Colonials seem much less dramatic (but still somewhat autistic).

Edit: Always mute Horny Rooster

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009

Vorenus posted:

Do you all play Warden or Colonial? I played Warden for a few months before switching sides and Colonials seem much less dramatic (but still somewhat autistic).

Colonial always nowadays. Wardens, for whatever reason, attracted a large number of wehraboo clans who never leave it and make their chat wildly toxic. Colonials also tend to have more international groups/players which helps dilute the rampant racism.

And yes. Always mute Horny Rooster.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Seems like there are goons on both sides. I'm on wardens

Foehammer007
Dec 7, 2011

by Pragmatica
Also a warden

Triggerhappypilot
Nov 8, 2009

SVMS-01 UNION FLAG GREATEST MOBILE SUIT

ENACT = CHEAP EUROTRASH COPY

Wardens seem to have a greater proportion of wehraboos - maybe because some of the vehicles vaguely resemble hanomags? Their entire aesthetic seems much more heavily based on interwar French designs. I find wardens usually have better logistics and tanking than colonials, but colonials are better at organized infantry pushes. Of course it varies a lot between wars, since many people switch sides, but some of the bigger clans exclusively play colonials or wardens. I've been playing mostly colonials lately since their vehicles look a lot cooler.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Last war on colonials it was a constant Soviet esque infantry struggle versus the extremely slow to react but highly organized and capable Warden nazi clans that would talk about how you're subhuman in all chat as like ten guys slowly built an unkillable wall of foxholes and gun nests before knocking out town halls and stuff with mass mortar fire. This sounds like we got owned hard all the time, but these clans tended to wipe a whole sector and then clap themselves on the back and log off for the night. And they usually overextended horribly to do it, half those foxholes wouldn't be supplied anyway etc. So this leaves the swarm of mostly uncoordinated colonials to easily use bolt actions to blow up hundreds of foxholes in a single night cycle, while the wardens are scrambling to like centralize their shirts in useful spots

Vorenus
Jul 14, 2013
Wardens LOVE making bad defenses. I lost count of how many Warden pushes I was part of fell apart because nobody prepared defenses for attacks form any direction but the one we were pushing. If it was a push south, great, lots of foxholes to deal with for Colonials if they turn us back. Wardens never considered that Colonial bad guys could come from the directions east or west and attack the flanks. It's hilariously sad how many times this happened (and probably still does).

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Vorenus posted:

Wardens LOVE making bad defenses. I lost count of how many Warden pushes I was part of fell apart because nobody prepared defenses for attacks form any direction but the one we were pushing. If it was a push south, great, lots of foxholes to deal with for Colonials if they turn us back. Wardens never considered that Colonial bad guys could come from the directions east or west and attack the flanks. It's hilariously sad how many times this happened (and probably still does).

i got a good hundred kills in about four hours by yelling in local chat to follow me and having like 5 boys with storm rifles just flank the warden encampments and camp lol

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

Vorenus posted:

Goon discord's Warden so I'm on Warden to play with Goons. I also tend to ignore chat unless I'm doing solo logistics.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I just did a ton of logi and got so many commendations for it

I was doing solo logi but I was balancing harvesting my own scrap, building, and delivering pretty well

I even upgraded a factory and brought them a ton of bmats and explosive material so they could do their own grenades

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
someone did this

which ended with him getting made fun of a lot

in response, he is having a normal one

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
82DK are a cancerous group that should always be shat on as much as possible in chat.

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012
Please give me free quality professional advice so I can be a baby about it and insult you

Rynoto posted:

82DK are a cancerous group that should always be shat on as much as possible in chat.
qft

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
rhymenosaurus murdered me in game

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
wardens win!

Delacroix
Dec 7, 2010

:munch:

Vorenus posted:

Goons in discord have always been warden.

Having done enough logi and having to blow open terribly placed gates and walls, wardens and colonials engage in atrocious simcity crafting. It's more apparent when you're resupplying down the chain of outposts and no one bothered to tear down non-perimeter walls inside a town. Most builders deserve to be run over.

My opinion on the community is that players playing soviet or german songs through their mic are incredibly obnoxious and deserve a friendly nudge however I hold a special place on my shitlist for the guys who can't stop using the N word or c bomb in local voip like it's PUBG.
They're exclusively colonials getting shot at night having focused all their brainpower into logi, building or taking out AI defences uncontested, it makes running around in their backline more enjoyable if there's a possibility I'll run into them again.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
War #32

Congrats to the Wardens on an early win for War #31. Due to the short length of the current war and to accommodate the remainder of the Steam Summer sale, we will starting the next war Monday at 1PM EDT. I understand this is a shorter than expected Resistance Phase. Thanks for your patience.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

I have a feeling our contributions did help seal the deal for our side.

I feel Wardens certainly got a boost in the wannabe nazis poo poo heads due to our current political climate of NO gently caress YOU DA-I MEAN LIBERAL types who are openly defying the game design of not enabling the usual world war fantasy tropes.

I just hope the games developers are aware and have a serious plan to deal with them, once they have their money of course sadly.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
They put neonazi in the swear filter so dont hold your breath

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
if they did they'd lose a chunk of their playerbase and get reviewbombed to hell, so

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009

SeanBeansShako posted:

I just hope the games developers are aware and have a serious plan to deal with them, once they have their money of course sadly.

They are absolutely aware. And last time they tried to even curb a little of the problem - specifically against the aforementioned 82DK - it led to a large protest. That was, of course, when the pop was significantly worse off so they'll hopefully eventually cut out the infection.

E: New war is up.
E2: Already some rampant cheating with alts going on so eh.

Rynoto fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Jul 8, 2019

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012
Please give me free quality professional advice so I can be a baby about it and insult you

Gamerofthegame posted:

if they did they'd lose a chunk of their playerbase and get reviewbombed to hell, so

I'm about to drop my own reviewbomb because of them making excuses for and enabling actual nazis on their platform

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Love Stole the Day posted:

I'm about to drop my own reviewbomb because of them making excuses for and enabling actual nazis on their platform

I'm afraid that that will amount to little more than a reviewdrop in the reviewbucket

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
and the folks in thread will still have you join the wardens, which collect most of the nazis

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group
Got the game yesterday at the urging of my brother, who told me to join The Wardens (he got the game this past weekend and I think just joined the winning side).

Anyway, really really liking how the game is built and works and I'm not addicted to the game stats website. Had a big laugh last night when Wardens tech'd into gas grenades and the chat was Geneva convention jokes for 10 minutes.

Nitevision
Oct 5, 2004

Your Friendly FYAD Helper
Ask Me For FYAD Help
Another Reason To Talk To Me Is To Hangout
Hey does anyone know of a clan for people who understand how to use a coordinate system? If I have to listen to one more adenoidal gamer caveman tell me that he's "at the uhh bridge kind of northwest of the second encampment, a little off the road", I am going to do a blue-on-blue incident. I'm on Colonial if it helps. Thank you,

MREBoy
Mar 14, 2005

MREs - They're whats for breakfast, lunch AND dinner !
New thread ! New expanded OP by yours truly ! More pictures ! YAYYY !!

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3893821

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Turd Herder
May 21, 2008

BALLCOCK BALLCOCK BALLCOCK BALLCOCK
I wish you could play this game on switch also. I'd buy it a 2nd time just to have something to grind game wise when I have down time.