Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice

BBJoey posted:

also the only reason abbott made himself indigenous affairs minister was so he could be sure nobody would even accidentally improve the lives of aboriginal and torres strait islander people.

See also: Minister for Women.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Don Dongington posted:

See also: Minister for Woman.

racing identity
Apr 5, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
What about when he said it would be better if his gay sister’s kids had a dad? What an absolutely munted unit.

hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

"Most mornings I'll apologise in advance to my wife."

racing identity posted:

What about when he said it would be better if his gay sister’s kids had a dad? What an absolutely munted unit.

Imagine being her and having to go to Christmas dinner

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
ONE of the women who appears in the controversial ‘vote no’ television advertisement campaign against same-sex marriage has been calling on the Chinese-Australian community to oppose same-sex marriage for months — spreading misleading information about gay people, and even promoting conversion therapy.

Dr Pansy Lai is the second woman who appears in the Coalition for Marriage advertisement, after Cella White, who claims her son’s school would permit him to wear a dress.

Ms Lai then goes on to claim that “when same-sex marriage passes as law overseas, this type of program becomes compulsory”.

Dr Lai is the founder of the Australian Chinese for Families Association, a group which claims to “bring together the Chinese community throughout Australia who hold traditional family values” and give a voice to our collective concerns clearly and respectfully.”

News.com.au has obtained emails which were sent to Australian Chinese for Families Association subscribers, in Mandarin and English, which called on Chinese-Australians to “understand the negative impacts same-sex marriage would have on our families and make an important difference in the outcome of this vote.”

One newsletter sent to subscribers claimed “more and more facts are being revealed about the consequences of same-sex marriage and that cannot be covered up.”

The newsletter said there is no evidence that people are born gay, and promoted treatment therapies for people who wished to change their sexual orientation as “resulting in lasting change for more than 50 per cent of people studied, with no increases in harm or distress.”

Dr Lai’s Australian Chinese for Families Association then claimed the reason for the success of these conversion therapies is because “we know for a fact that sexual orientation is not necessarily fixed” and “there is no proven single cause of sexual orientation.”

The organisation also says, “gay identity” is a modern, western concept that began only 150 years ago — and “is therefore likely to be a social construct.”

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
Yeah pretty sure the Athenians were proudly getting balls deep about 300 years BC so maybe :fuckoff: you wretched old scrunt,

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Don Dongington posted:

Yeah pretty sure the Athenians were proudly getting balls deep about 300 years BC so maybe :fuckoff: you wretched old scrunt,

Religious bigots haven't cared about facts for over 2000 years and aren't going to start now.

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
It's almost like encouraging exclusively Christian immigration from predominantly non-Christian countries attracts the wrong sort of people,

Edit: PUMP THE loving BRAKES

http://www.afr.com/leadership/top-university-chiefs-hit-back-at-education-minister-simon-birmingham-20170830-gy74wp

THE FEDERAL MINISTER FOR EDUCATION posted:

"The [university] sector is kidding itself if it thinks the pressure to address the contribution [which] escalating higher education spending made to the budget deficit will just go away," Senator Birmingham said.

"There are plenty of areas where universities can manage their costs within their available revenues."

Senator Birmingham then doubled down on his attack on university inefficiency saying that Monday's landmark Fair Work Commission decision, which curtailed union power at Murdoch University, meant there was even more scope for universities to save costs.

He said it gave universities an opportunity which should be seized and that he hoped it would spread through the sector.

THIS IS TACIT APPROVAL OF THE FLAGRANT ABUSE OF A LOOPHOLE IN THE FAIR WORK ACT BY EMPLOYERS, AND HOLY poo poo DO THE ACTU/LABOR HAVE A BIG loving CAMPAIGN TO RUN.

Don Dongington fucked around with this message at 15:41 on Aug 31, 2017

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
Ms Lai, who set up the Association on concerns about the Safe Schools program, says she’s received the strong backing of the Chinese community who want to preserve traditional family values.

“We have at least thousands of people who participate in this group and a lot more just talking to my immediate circles as well as on social media.

“You just really feel it from the Australian-Chinese community that, ‘No we don’t think that’s the best thing for our community’.

“We don’t discriminate against anyone, we believe that everybody has the freedom to choose their own lifestyle. But changing the Marriage Act is going to affect everybody.”

She says she’s also been contacted by members of the Indian and Lebanese communities about their concerns about changing marriage laws, as well as concerned parents.

“The parents that I have been talking to over the past couple of days they’ve been saying I’m so glad that the truth is out there,” Ms Lai said.

“We’re not saying that, you know, you should definitely vote no or yes. We’re saying that we all need to pause and hear the consequences and everybody can decide based on what they think.

“People who know me know that I don’t hate anybody, they know that I really feel that this is the truth and this needs to be spoken.”

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay
https://twitter.com/johnjohnsonson/status/903073610788515840

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)

This is incredibly good. Not watching channel 9 is incredibly easy. Thank gently caress that Nazi poo poo stain is gone.

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

Lid posted:

But changing the Marriage Act is going to affect everybody.

These loving weasel arguments. It's only been like this for 13 years.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Don Dongington posted:

It's almost like encouraging exclusively Christian immigration from predominantly non-Christian countries attracts the wrong sort of people,

Edit: PUMP THE loving BRAKES

http://www.afr.com/leadership/top-university-chiefs-hit-back-at-education-minister-simon-birmingham-20170830-gy74wp

THIS IS TACIT APPROVAL OF THE FLAGRANT ABUSE OF A LOOPHOLE IN THE FAIR WORK ACT BY EMPLOYERS, AND HOLY poo poo DO THE ACTU/LABOR HAVE A BIG loving CAMPAIGN TO RUN.

lol apathy is running at an all time high at most universities (doesn't help that some of the vice chancellors are in their positions thanks to who they know or married to) and this will absolutely destroy the sector if the EBA for academics changes like this.

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

Lid posted:

Ms Lai, who set up the Association on concerns about the Safe Schools program, says she’s received the strong backing of the Chinese community who want to preserve traditional family values.

“We have at least thousands of people who participate in this group and a lot more just talking to my immediate circles as well as on social media.

“You just really feel it from the Australian-Chinese community that, ‘No we don’t think that’s the best thing for our community’.

“We don’t discriminate against anyone, we believe that everybody has the freedom to choose their own lifestyle. But changing the Marriage Act is going to affect everybody.”

She says she’s also been contacted by members of the Indian and Lebanese communities about their concerns about changing marriage laws, as well as concerned parents.

“The parents that I have been talking to over the past couple of days they’ve been saying I’m so glad that the truth is out there,” Ms Lai said.

“We’re not saying that, you know, you should definitely vote no or yes. We’re saying that we all need to pause and hear the consequences and everybody can decide based on what they think.

“People who know me know that I don’t hate anybody, they know that I really feel that this is the truth and this needs to be spoken.”

seems like a failure of assimilation. if they don't like it here they should go back where they came from.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.
We only force foreigners to assimilate if they don't hold the religious convictions of the conservative LNP party

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe
Guys, I think our Fair Work Commission might be broken ay.

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice

You Am I posted:

lol apathy is running at an all time high at most universities (doesn't help that some of the vice chancellors are in their positions thanks to who they know or married to) and this will absolutely destroy the sector if the EBA for academics changes like this.

You need to think bigger.

This has implications WAY beyond higher ed, which is one of the more unionised industries, and the union is fairly active and united. There's a NSW faction but even they are far less divisive than is typical for a national org.

It's already hit Mining, with Griffin coal the first to be hit in WA a few months ago. It's less of a big deal for retail, where thanks to the SDA, agreements don't offer much beyond Award conditions. State Govts. in Labor held states should be safe. But I would expect to see agreements starting to topple in construction, mining, the NSW public sector (and definitely QLD if the Libs get back in).

Remember, EBAs don't just cover above award pay. Most organisation's Maternity Leave, flexible work arrangements, and redundancy conditions are significantly improved over the basic Award/NES conditions, thanks to the tireless work of Union bargaining teams, and often at the cost of pay rises in the years where big gains are made. That's part of the process. By terminating the agreements, employees lose a lot more than a few dollars an hour - they lose all of those conditions that they traded pay for in the first place, often during periods of high inflation.

I know the ACTU are gearing up for a big campaign this year. I think, honestly, this is where Australian progressives need to be focusing our efforts. Yes we should be supporting the Greens to ensure they don't lose any senate seats, and if there's a chance to grab a Melbourne lower house seat we should definitely put effort in there - but IR reform needs to be the massive election issue this year*. Shorten needs to be beholden to the electorate to repair the FWA.

*I'd love for it to be an overhaul of immigration policies and dismantling of the jackbooted thug brigade but let's face it, if Labor do it they're going to do it quietly.

Kafka Syrup
Apr 29, 2009

Don Dongington posted:

You need to think bigger.

This has implications WAY beyond higher ed, which is one of the more unionised industries, and the union is fairly active and united. There's a NSW faction but even they are far less divisive than is typical for a national org.

It's already hit Mining, with Griffin coal the first to be hit in WA a few months ago. It's less of a big deal for retail, where thanks to the SDA, agreements don't offer much beyond Award conditions. State Govts. in Labor held states should be safe. But I would expect to see agreements starting to topple in construction, mining, the NSW public sector (and definitely QLD if the Libs get back in).

Remember, EBAs don't just cover above award pay. Most organisation's Maternity Leave, flexible work arrangements, and redundancy conditions are significantly improved over the basic Award/NES conditions, thanks to the tireless work of Union bargaining teams, and often at the cost of pay rises in the years where big gains are made. That's part of the process. By terminating the agreements, employees lose a lot more than a few dollars an hour - they lose all of those conditions that they traded pay for in the first place, often during periods of high inflation.

I know the ACTU are gearing up for a big campaign this year. I think, honestly, this is where Australian progressives need to be focusing our efforts. Yes we should be supporting the Greens to ensure they don't lose any senate seats, and if there's a chance to grab a Melbourne lower house seat we should definitely put effort in there - but IR reform needs to be the massive election issue this year*. Shorten needs to be beholden to the electorate to repair the FWA.

*I'd love for it to be an overhaul of immigration policies and dismantling of the jackbooted thug brigade but let's face it, if Labor do it they're going to do it quietly.

I'd love for the Greens IR policy to actually get turned into a decent initiative for once.

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice

Kafka Syrup posted:

I'd love for a Greens policy to actually get turned into something for once.

FTFY

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop
Forgotten about Scott Morrison and his inhumanity? A timely reminder:

Don't click it unless you think I'm bullshitting it's actually newscorpse reporting on the 7:30 report.

quote:

FEDERAL Treasurer Scott Morrison has encouraged every Australian to have their say in the postal plebiscite on same-sex marriage while revealed he will vote against it.

In an interview on ABC 7.30 on Thursday night, Mr Morrison candidly revealed his stance on the issue. Speaking with host Matt Wordsworth in the absence of an ill Leigh Sales, Mr Morrison said he wanted his fellow Australians to know it was “OK to say no”. “On same-sex marriage John Howard said this morning the question of what religious exemptions apply should be part of this debate, do you agree?” Mr Wordsworth asked the Member for Cook. “My view on this topic is as important as everyone else’s,” Mr Morrison replied. “That is why we are having a survey on it. My view is, look I am voting no, it is OK to say no and people should know that.” Mr Wordsworth was then keen to know if the question of religious exemption should be sorted out before the yes or not vote. “Let’s understand what this is,” Mr Morrison replied. “There is a survey, effectively the plebiscite, that we promised to the people at the last election. If that is passed, then a private members’ bill would be facilitated. The Government is not bringing forward a bill on this. It would be facilitated on this and then the Parliament would then work through that bill." Mr Wordsworth then suggested to Mr Morrison “some coalition MPs might say if it wasn’t discussed before the survey, they might use it as a delaying tactic or a reason to vote “no” after the survey”.

“How members vote is up to them ultimately,” the Liberal Party powerbroker replied. “The plebiscite, the survey, will give us a very clear picture about whether the Australian people want to see a bill like this come into the House and be dealt with by the Parliament. Let’s not get ahead of ourselves. I am sending my survey back. I encourage everyone else to do the same. My opinion as a politician is as important as anyone else’s in this survey and that is why it is I think it important that we have given the Australians an opportunity to have their say. It is OK to say “no”. It is OK to say “yes”, but make sure you have your say.

"It's OK to say no"? This is usurping the language used to promote equality and is as meaningless as "It's OK to be a Nazi" It sure as gently caress is NOT OK to say no. Here's why:

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-09-01/young-trans-people-at-higher-risk-of-suicide-report-finds/8861156

So rather than have the top news stories be about school uniform 'issues' and teaching women to walk in high heels maybe we should be teaching our kids how to recognise fallacious arguments and literal Nazis.

gently caress you Scott Morrison. You are a complete poo poo smear.

Labor REDS UNDER THE BEDS :siren: more like actual nazis in parliament. Oh look somewhere else!!!

Brown Paper Bag
Nov 3, 2012

https://twitter.com/rob_stott/status/903440356699549699

:stare:

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
I missed the start of that story- what happened at Murdock?

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

the fwc let the university unilaterally abandon its enterprise bargaining agreement, pushing all employees back to the (much worse than was negotiated) award pay and conditions.

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
Murdoch staff face pay cuts up to 38%.

Turns out this isn't even the highest pay cut recorded, and Streets workers face up to 46% if (more like when) the FWC rules to terminate theirs. According to the ACTU, 850 agreements have been cancelled over the past 3 years.

Press release here: https://www.actu.org.au/actu-media/media-releases/2017/bargaining-system-is-broken-murdoch-kicks-workers-off-their-agreement

Edit: Note - the maximum individual fine for unlawful industrial action is $12,360.

If I had to choose between 38% of the median university salary of day ~70k or a 12k fine for withdrawing labour I'd think pretty hard about things tbh

Don Dongington fucked around with this message at 04:42 on Sep 1, 2017

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

General strike now.

put both hands in
Nov 28, 2007

:swoon:FYFE:swoon:
Just letting the thread know that yesterday I joined my union, the NTEU

MonoAus
Nov 5, 2012
Someone at the ABC took the time (and was paid) to write this: http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-08-31/waxit-explainer-wa-liberals-to-debate-secession-motion/8858912

and then also decided that it was worth writing this sentence:

quote:

WA would also be left to compete on its own in international sport, potentially pitting it against Australia in events such as international cricket and football World Cup qualification.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
Nice to see the thread honouring oval office as acceptable nomenclature for cunts.

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

open24hours posted:

General strike now.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.
I thought the court found it was so common as to be inoffensive?

Like, an actual legal process determined that apparently.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

What is an offensive term then? Refugee?

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

open24hours posted:

Racist.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
Offensive terms:

United nations
Global warming
Julia Gillard

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Don Dongington posted:

If I had to choose between 38% of the median university salary of day ~70k or a 12k fine for withdrawing labour I'd think pretty hard about things tbh

If someone EVER said to me they were cutting my pay by 38%, I'd walk out the loving door.

Good lord, how many people working at universities would be getting paid better working retail after those cuts?

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe
Guys I might have found a reason for all this flat wage growth...

It's because of the politics of envy.

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice

Gorilla Salad posted:

If someone EVER said to me they were cutting my pay by 38%, I'd walk out the loving door.

Good lord, how many people working at universities would be getting paid better working retail after those cuts?

Given that the SDA refusing to actually pursue real world pay rises is the only reason that retail workers still earn poo poo, I'd assume most of the library staff and casuals, admin staff and customer service people will probably be in that boat.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.

Don Dongington posted:

Given that the SDA refusing to actually pursue real world pay rises is the only reason that retail workers still earn poo poo.

My EBA expired in 2014. What's inflation again?

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Don Dongington posted:

Murdoch staff face pay cuts up to 38%.

Turns out this isn't even the highest pay cut recorded, and Streets workers face up to 46% if (more like when) the FWC rules to terminate theirs. According to the ACTU, 850 agreements have been cancelled over the past 3 years.

Press release here: https://www.actu.org.au/actu-media/media-releases/2017/bargaining-system-is-broken-murdoch-kicks-workers-off-their-agreement

Edit: Note - the maximum individual fine for unlawful industrial action is $12,360.

I hope there are a couple of situations that happen (with the people involved having enough union/community support that they are supported well) to really hammer in how messed up this is.

Puts the libs "personal rights" mantra straight into context. One the one hand we have Turnbull saying that the political plebiscite vote poll he put into action can't have any rules on reasonable discourse or truth in advertising because freedom of speech, then on the other hand have his government support people being forced to work for conditions they did not agree to.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Senor Tron posted:

I hope there are a couple of situations that happen (with the people involved having enough union/community support that they are supported well) to really hammer in how messed up this is.

Puts the libs "personal rights" mantra straight into context. One the one hand we have Turnbull saying that the political plebiscite vote poll he put into action can't have any rules on reasonable discourse or truth in advertising because freedom of speech, then on the other hand have his government support people being forced to work for conditions they did not agree to.

He just described the cashless welfare card as an exercise in practical love.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer

open24hours posted:

On a train I heard one kid call another kid a "loving 'sylum seeker" so maybe that's the new sick burn

• Locked thread