Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
I mean, I don't know about Ditko himself, but I feel like the Venn Diagram is pretty fat in the middle.

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

guys i need help with something very important

book ends for my hellboy collection
Do bookends exist that are like a stack of pancakes cut in half? Make those if they don't exist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Lurdiak posted:

Ditko isn't an MRA. He's an objectivist.

It was a Mr. A joke.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Aphrodite posted:

It was a Mr. A joke.

Oh drat, that's p. good.

joehonkie
Jan 12, 2006

I'm a member of STARS.

Lurdiak posted:

Ditko isn't an MRA. He's an objectivist.

I always love that he so die-hard about his philosophy that he won't actually give away his political manifesto work for free. "You're interested in my political views? I'd be happy to share them with you for $5" just doesn't seem like the best way to get the word out.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

joehonkie posted:

I always love that he so die-hard about his philosophy that he won't actually give away his political manifesto work for free. "You're interested in my political views? I'd be happy to share them with you for $5" just doesn't seem like the best way to get the word out.

A man is entitled to the sweat of his brow.

Ferrule
Feb 23, 2007

Yo!

Open Marriage Night posted:

Mister Miracle is going to be a hit.

Didn't know this. Who's on the book?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Mister Miracle #1 was so good that we doubled our order on it, we feel that strongly that it will be a hit.

joehonkie
Jan 12, 2006

I'm a member of STARS.
Getting rid of comics is hard. So many things I feel are great stories that I will probably never ever read again but, but...(no seriously I will probably never read this again)

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Ferrule posted:

Didn't know this. Who's on the book?

Tom King and his artist from Sheriff of Babylon. This could easily be better than the Vision. Not that Vision had bad art, but the page layouts are on a whole other level.

Ferrule
Feb 23, 2007

Yo!
Sweet. Tom King is amazing and I've always liked Mr. Miracle.

I think I've seen some Sheriff pages posted so this is going on my pull list.

Thanks!

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

Looking forward to a new av when people get ahold of the book.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Congrats to Madkal and condolences to Rhyno's fiance.

And looking way forward to Mr Miracle

KaosMachina
Oct 9, 2012

There's nothing special about me.

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

gwenpool fuckin rules and anyone who says that should get slapped

Agreed wholeheartedly.

joehonkie
Jan 12, 2006

I'm a member of STARS.
I don't like Gwenpool at all and anyone who says that should get slapped.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I've not read a single issue of Gwenpool so I have no opinion!

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

X-O posted:

i have many strong opinions about things i have not read, watched, experience, or know anything about!

Gwenpool is good or maybe not. lots of people say either. Very high energy book

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

X-O posted:

Same boss (other than the Howard the Duck backups that didn't really interest me). Art looks nice based in the panels I've seen at least.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Open Marriage Night posted:

Looking forward to a new av when people get ahold of the book.

Gotta wait for a non-watermarked copy right?

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
How the loving poo poo does Unstoppable Wasp get loving canceled, can't I have one loving thing in this world that makes me happy :argh:

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

CapnAndy posted:

How the loving poo poo does Unstoppable Wasp get loving canceled, can't I have one loving thing in this world that makes me happy :argh:

No, sorry.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

Rhyno posted:

Gotta wait for a non-watermarked copy right?

Well, yeah. Beautiful book even with the store number on every inch of it.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

irlZaphod posted:

I'm not sure if this is a good thing or a bad thing.

Are DC trying to capture the MRA market?

Is Silvestri an MRA? Last I heard he was a generic liberal. Or is this more a "Top Cow = boobs" statement

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

CapnAndy posted:

Tump's America.

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

DIRECTIVE 236: Promote pro-social values

CapnAndy posted:

It sucks, but I guess we can just be happy it happened at all. I don't know how to predict the longevity of Marvel titles at all now, a shocking amount of them sold 25,000 copies or below in June. Of course we don't have digital sales figures, but almost every title looks to be in bad shape for the print numbers.

quote:

06/17 Unstoppable Wasp # 6 - 8,051 (-10.7%)
Holy toledo

Tato fucked around with this message at 13:36 on Aug 4, 2017

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

Tato posted:

Holy toledo

Yeah, it's really sad. Wasp started off doing decently but it didn't take long for it to not even manage Nova numbers.

quote:

Unstoppable Wasp #1 - 37,415
Unstoppable Wasp #2 - 16,292
Unstoppable Wasp #3 - 12,324
Unstoppable Wasp #4 - 9,780
Unstoppable Wasp #5 - 9,013
Unstoppable Wasp #6 - 8,051

Only the good die young. :(

trashbuilder
Dec 26, 2013

Look at all the poor opinions I have
Maybe I'm wrong but I picked up issue 1 and didn't even finish it. I hated that book. Not for content for structure. The first 2/3rds nearly nothing happened, but everyone is talking all the time. What is this 80's Claremont? Why is every panel more speech bubble than image? It felt more like a sub-par webcomic. So I am super confused when BSS seems to be pretty on it's level cause normally I am into whatever BSS posts about. But this book man, woof

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
Wasp hooked me instantly. The art was vibrant and fun, the writing was just as delightful with how energetic and *optimistic* it was. But seeing those numbers. drat, I really wished they released digital numbers. I guess I have to give props to Marvel for letting them finish the book up.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I'm not sure where to go exactly to talk about it, but the new Turok comic is starting off pretty promising.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Roth posted:

I'm not sure where to go exactly to talk about it, but the new Turok comic is starting off pretty promising.

Don't we have a Valiant thread?

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

It's published by Dynamite now

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

Lurdiak posted:

Turok and the other Gold Key properties aren't published under Valiant anymore. I'm pretty sure the new Turok is Dynamite.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

Lurdiak posted:

It's published by Dynamite

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist
Pretty sure it's published by Dynamite now.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

A Strange Aeon posted:

Pretty sure it's published by Dynamite now.

You sure about that?

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters
Man, I looked up what's up with the Gold Key licenses and... jeez. I knew that when Acclaim went out of business and the current Valiant bought up the "Valiant" IP that the Gold Key licenses were uncoupled from the Valiant ones, but... Acclaim's bankruptcy was in 2004.

(Current) Valiant bought up the IP in 2005, but somehow got involved in a legal battle for years so they didn't actually launch until 2012.

Meanwhile the Gold Key characters were part of a portfolio of old mostly inert IP incuding Lassie and Casper owned by Classic Media, which was purchased by Boomerang Media, which was purchased by Dreamworks, which was purchased by Comcast.

This is also what, at least the third hard reboot/relaunch of the Gold Key books? There was the short-lived Jim Shooter one at Dark Horse, then a few years back they did an actually-pretty-good Gold Key relaunch at Dynamite with Pak and Van Lente running it. Then they tried soft relaunching that with a ridiculous crossover book. Now this.

I'd say that Classic/Boomerang/Dreamworks/Comcast should just try giving the license back to Valiant, but at this point they've built up enough of a "new" universe it would be really weird to inject Solar and Magnus and Turok into it.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

I liked the Greg Pak Turok where the Native Americans viewed the Europeans as unwashed barbarians. It was a pretty refreshing reversal of how that usually goes in fiction set in the Age of Discovery

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Kate Leth is still one of my favorite people on twitter.
https://twitter.com/kateleth/status/893562427324768257
https://twitter.com/kateleth/status/893562883904159744

Unrelated, what does Top Cow even own? At first I thought they were the company that did mostly licensed properties, but the Turok talk made me realize I was probably thinking of Dynamite, so I have no idea what they publish.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
Witchblade and THE DARKNESS are the only possibly recognizable names from Top Cow, as far as I know.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Skwirl posted:

Kate Leth is still one of my favorite people on twitter.
https://twitter.com/kateleth/status/893562427324768257
https://twitter.com/kateleth/status/893562883904159744

Unrelated, what does Top Cow even own? At first I thought they were the company that did mostly licensed properties, but the Turok talk made me realize I was probably thinking of Dynamite, so I have no idea what they publish.

Cyberforce, Witchblade, the Darkness. I could see the last two being very viable in external media.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Witchblade always just seemed like trash to me, but I've never actually read it.

• Locked thread