Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

Roth posted:

Witchblade always just seemed like trash to me, but I've never actually read it.

didn't they have a TV series for wtichblade. Like around the same time as the Birds of Prey one?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Yes, but it was 2 years earlier than Birds of Prey.

Somehow NBC is doing a new Witchblade series soon.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

I believe in all the ways that they say you can lose your body
Fallen Rib
I tried to read a witchblade once but it seemed to up it's arse in some bullshit mythology that I lost interest. Something like witchblade shouldn't be so up it's arse in mythology

Benito Cereno
Jan 20, 2006

ALLEZ-OUP!

Edge & Christian posted:

Man, I looked up what's up with the Gold Key licenses and... jeez. I knew that when Acclaim went out of business and the current Valiant bought up the "Valiant" IP that the Gold Key licenses were uncoupled from the Valiant ones, but... Acclaim's bankruptcy was in 2004.

(Current) Valiant bought up the IP in 2005, but somehow got involved in a legal battle for years so they didn't actually launch until 2012.

Meanwhile the Gold Key characters were part of a portfolio of old mostly inert IP incuding Lassie and Casper owned by Classic Media, which was purchased by Boomerang Media, which was purchased by Dreamworks, which was purchased by Comcast.

This is also what, at least the third hard reboot/relaunch of the Gold Key books? There was the short-lived Jim Shooter one at Dark Horse, then a few years back they did an actually-pretty-good Gold Key relaunch at Dynamite with Pak and Van Lente running it. Then they tried soft relaunching that with a ridiculous crossover book. Now this.

I'd say that Classic/Boomerang/Dreamworks/Comcast should just try giving the license back to Valiant, but at this point they've built up enough of a "new" universe it would be really weird to inject Solar and Magnus and Turok into it.

This history of the Gold Key characters and license is the last thing I ever wrote for ComicsAlliance

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Everyone of the parties involved knows nobody will care about the GK properties unless they are coupled to Valiant. The problem is, the owners of the GK IP only want to license it and Valiant is only interested in buying it outright.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer
For the last few months I've been reading the 80's runs of Moon Knight and now Thor. I absolutely love the old school coloring so much more than our modern day coloring. Yeah, we have more colors on the page, yeah we can get stuff "realistic", we can do cool stuff with filters and poo poo. But using those gorgeous flat, limited pallets really brings something out in the art. I love it.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Soonmot posted:

For the last few months I've been reading the 80's runs of Moon Knight and now Thor. I absolutely love the old school coloring so much more than our modern day coloring. Yeah, we have more colors on the page, yeah we can get stuff "realistic", we can do cool stuff with filters and poo poo. But using those gorgeous flat, limited pallets really brings something out in the art. I love it.

You should read the Bill Sienkiewicz New Mutants, he drew most of the Moon Knight you're talking about.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Oh, I did New Mutants last year. Read everything up through the most recent X-Force. Sienkiewicz is absolutely one of my favorite artists, and, one I didn't appreciate as a kid when I started reading comics. I would kill for a high quality print of this cover.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Mother Panic is a big two comic that has good flat coloring going on right now, but John Paul Leon probably demands it.
(some random preview pages)

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Are signed trades worth more money than normal ones?

I was looking to sell some old stuff and 2 of my trades from Mike Carey's run on Hellblazer I realized he'd signed inside the front cover, there's no personalization, just his signature I imagine he did a signing at the store I bought them from and he'd signed some of their stock while he was there.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
No COA usually means no value added at all.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

https://twitter.com/RIPMarkusJ/status/894000080155496450

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Rhyno posted:

No COA usually means no value added at all.

Is a COA worth the effort?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Usually not unless it's a big name or dead creator.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

I just read Abnett's Guardians of the Galaxy run. And I gotta wonder, why does characters in this universe bother with building huge memorials to people who die? I mean death is just a minor setback when you're a superhero.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Well, the reader knows that. Random people in the actual comics probably don't.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

I believe in all the ways that they say you can lose your body
Fallen Rib
One of my fave parts of David's X-Factor run is when Siryn hears that her dad's died and she just bursts out laughing. Everyone looks at her like she is crazy and she explains that he'll probably come back to life soon so it's no big deal

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

Roth posted:

Well, the reader knows that. Random people in the actual comics probably don't.
Nick Spencer wrote a Fear Itself tie-in about this, where Black Widow harangues TMZ about reporting on Bucky's death (well, that particular one) and while it was just as incoherent and smug and meta as you can imagine, I believe the big takeaway was that for superheroes, death is actually WORSE.

She tells one of the journalists something like "yeah, boo hoo, your wife died of cancer. At least you know she's dead and you can move on with your life and remarry because you know she's dead. I have no idea if Bucky will ever come back, or if he's trapped in a hell dimension, or brainwashed, or lost in the timestream, or if he'll be resurrected by the Hand, or turned into a zombie, or cloned! The pain of not knowing is worse!!!" And all of the weak beta cucks of the TMZ newsroom had to admit that Black Widow put them in their place and the giant statue of Abraham Lincoln probably gave her a solidarity salute as she swung out of their offices and into the Fear Itself tie-in that came out two weeks later revealing she had helped Bucky fake his own death.

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist
X-Statix and X-Force by the same guy are generally considered solid reads, right?

Also, does Werewolf by Night fit into the wider Marvel continuity at all? A local store was having a buy 2 used trades, get 1 free sale, so I ended up picking up the Essential Werewolf by Night--just curious if it's any good. I read the first issue in the volume and thought it was alright.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

A Strange Aeon posted:

X-Statix and X-Force by the same guy are generally considered solid reads, right?
No, because this is a fantastic run of comics exceeding "solid".

Be sure to snag the Wolverine & Doop miniseries, too.

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist

Endless Mike posted:

No, because this is a fantastic run of comics exceeding "solid".

Be sure to snag the Wolverine & Doop miniseries, too.

I liked Doop in Aaron's Wolverine and the X-men--his origin is in X-Statix?

Oh, and is the X-Statix Omnibus the way to go? Does it include everything I want?

A Strange Aeon fucked around with this message at 02:44 on Aug 7, 2017

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

A Strange Aeon posted:

I liked Doop in Aaron's Wolverine and the X-men--his origin is in X-Statix?

Oh, and is the X-Statix Omnibus the way to go? Does it include everything I want?

Yup and yup.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer
the only thing I know about Werewolf by Night is that that is where Moon Knight debuted.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

A Strange Aeon posted:

Also, does Werewolf by Night fit into the wider Marvel continuity at all? A local store was having a buy 2 used trades, get 1 free sale, so I ended up picking up the Essential Werewolf by Night--just curious if it's any good. I read the first issue in the volume and thought it was alright.

Yeah, Jack Russell (one of the worst and therefore best pun names in comics IMO) is a relatively important supernatural character who's involved with the likes of Dr Strange.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

A Strange Aeon posted:

It's in continuity unless something gets retconned, that should have Moon Knight's first appearance, which is then followed up in Moon Knight's first solo series. I think all the Marvel horror stuff is considered in continuity, it just doesn't get followed up on very often.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
If J. K. Rowling announced that she was going to personally write Harry Potter comics that would either bridge the gap between Deathly Hallows and Cursed Child or tell new stories set during Harry's years at Hogwarts, how big would that be? Could it pull off a "one million copies sold" like Star Wars #1 did a couple of years ago?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Wheat Loaf posted:

If J. K. Rowling announced that she was going to personally write Harry Potter comics that would either bridge the gap between Deathly Hallows and Cursed Child or tell new stories set during Harry's years at Hogwarts, how big would that be? Could it pull off a "one million copies sold" like Star Wars #1 did a couple of years ago?

I honestly think it would be bigger. DC has pitched HP comics to her numerous times. The word is she doesn't really care for the medium.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Star Wars #1 was in a Loot Crate, so it didn't really do a million.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I'm gonna go out on a limb and say Harry Potter comics would sell well, but not *as* well as you might expect. The people who would buy HP comics are probably going to "non-traditional (i.e. not white male)" buyers, so it will do well in trade and digital, maybe not gangbusters in the direct market.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Endless Mike posted:

I'm gonna go out on a limb and say Harry Potter comics would sell well, but not *as* well as you might expect. The people who would buy HP comics are probably going to "non-traditional (i.e. not white male)" buyers, so it will do well in trade and digital, maybe not gangbusters in the direct market.

I disagree. The Dark Tower comics did bonkers numbers when they were new. A JK written HP mini series would be a massive hit.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Yeah but Stephen King's demo is already comic book store types.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I was thinking about how he script for Cursed Child apparently broke some sort of record for copies sold and how much hype there was around it (I've neither seen it nor read it); I am pretty confident that "JK to write new Harry Potter" would be front page news on the BBC whatever format it was in.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
HP fans pushed a loving unadorned play script that JK Rowling looked at the story outline to and went "yeah okay whaver" to the top of the bestseller list, don't underestimate what they'd do with new Rowling words in any format.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Rhyno posted:

I disagree. The Dark Tower comics did bonkers numbers when they were new. A JK written HP mini series would be a massive hit.

Not really? Looking at Comichron for random issues, they tended to end up selling in the 40-50k range after a 100k+ first issue. Quite good, to be sure, but Star Wars is currently in the 70k range in its 32nd issue.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Wheat Loaf posted:

Deathly Hallows sold 8.3 million in 24 hours. I think it could do it.

Endless Mike posted:

You're saying Harry Potter isn't that popular among white males? The story of the white kid who was constantly bullied the first ten years of his life only to discover he's the chosen one to save everyone isn't gonna be popular among stereotypical nerds?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I'm just one dude in a small shop but we get asked if there are HP comics constantly. It's been discussed at retailer summits every time I have attended. DC knows it would be the best selling book ever. It's the white whale.

Endless Mike posted:

Not really? Looking at Comichron for random issues, they tended to end up selling in the 40-50k range after a 100k+ first issue. Quite good, to be sure, but Star Wars is currently in the 70k range in its 32nd issue.

The first issue was the most heavily hyped and advertised Marvel comics we'd ever seen to that point. External news sites that didn't care about comics were reporting about it. We had a midnight release on the first issue with 100+ people showing up to buy it. If people care that much about DT 7 years ago I guarantee the HP fanbase would show up in shops to get the comics.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Skwirl posted:

You're saying Harry Potter isn't that popular among white males? The story of the white kid who was constantly bullied the first ten years of his life only to discover he's the chosen one to save everyone isn't gonna be popular among stereotypical nerds?

When I first read Harry Potter as a teen I was annoyed because I felt Harry was way too blatantly Peter Parker.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
See I've long been irritated because he is clearly ripped off of Tim Hunter.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 24 minutes!
My household would be buying at least 2 copies of Harry Potter comics. This doesn't include variants. There are folks in my house who are love that property.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
The catch is it needs to be a new JK written story. An adaptation or authorized book will drop in popularity quickly. If King had ever actually done the DT one shot they talked about it would have been unreal, easily the most ordered comic of that year.

• Locked thread