Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

I believe in all the ways that they say you can lose your body
Fallen Rib

X-O posted:

I took off work to drive someone four hours to watch something for two minutes. I wish I’d taken off to just sleep instead.

My friend took an 11 hour flight and five hour drive to do the same thing. I'm staying in bed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

X-O posted:

I took off work to drive someone four hours to watch something for two minutes. I wish I’d taken off to just sleep instead.

Did you go blind though?

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Lightning Lord posted:

Did you go blind though?

Nope.

I will begrudgingly admit that was pretty drat cool though.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I've read an absolute ton of comics from the last ~20 years, a bit from the 80s, and a tiny bit from the 60s and 70s (Spider-man through to Captain Stacey's death, a bunch of Tomb of Dracula). I felt like correcting that so I've started a reading project to go through Marvel's back catalog. I'm basing it off of the Complete Marvel Reading Order. I'm not reading every single comic, because among other things availability is an issue, but I'm going pretty deep. I figure I can probably do a couple hundred / month in addition to whatever else I read. I've been taking notes as I go and thought I'd call out some of the early stuff that stuck with me. Early on my notes are basically "cool panel on page x, villain y is interesting, theme of second story is different, etc." A lot of "nothing interesting happened" or "same as issue x". The early FF stuff is pretty awesome when you come at it from the lens of what came before, but that doesn't mean everything was worthless. I'd actually recommend a lot of these stories over stuff that comes later, like Torch in Strange Tales (nonsensical plots and questionable art), or any of the Ant-Man I've read.

Anyway... before reaching the superhero era with FF#1 I read 37 monster era books, consisting of various issues of Strange Tales, Tales to Astonish, Tales of Suspense, and Journey into Mystery. It was interesting to see the transition from four-in-one to two-in-one to books devoted to single stories as they moved towards the superhero era. There were some real gems in those early books, including lots of great Kirby monster art. I don't know that I'll ever really come around completely on Kirby - his grotesque characters are incredible when appropriate, but look out of place in more pedestrian settings - but the man sure knows how to draw monsters, robots, aliens, and evil looking bad guys.

Some of my favorite panels and setups from those early issues:

Tales to Astonish #12 - Archaeologists in Bornea discover a Giant Man-Ape, who ends up saving them from a Dinosaur.

Tales to Astonish #13 introduces Groot, but I prefer the Abominable Snowman from that same issue.

Tales to Astonish #17 has a killer two-part story about Vandoom, a Frankenstein type monster who dies to save the townspeople who hate and fear him. He dies saving them from Martians, because of course there are aliens attacking this small European town. Kirby draws awesome aliens. The death scene is maybe my favorite part. You don't often get panel sequences like this in this era.

Strange Tales #82 introduces "IT", some kind of quicksand bog monster. The logical approach to fighting it is with dynamite.

Also from that issue and unrelated to the monster, Darius Storme. If he hasn't been used again since this, that's a huge mistake.

There are also some great little speculative fiction stories. Don't get me wrong, there's lots of bad ones too (some of the ones Kirby draws cool monsters in are not good stories), but considering they don't have a lot of room to work with they play with some interesting ideas. A story in Strange Tales # 75 stood out to me - the scientists accidentally release a poison gas that will end the world, only for God to save the day.

Journey into Mystery #65 has a two-parter where the monster is the hero (transformed), and ends up getting the girl. This one hits on both the story and the art note, with some really solid Kirby work.

Tales to Astonish #21 has an awesome mostly silent backup that might be my favorite story from the whole reading experience. It's only a cover page and four pages of 3x3 grids, but Ditko absolutely nails it. I've included it in its entirety below, if that's not kosher I'll remove it.

There are also some great (terrible) 50's/60's type moments, like this story set up in Strange Tales #78...

... and this collection of hippies from Tales of Suspense #20 (surprisingly, neither drawn nor written by Ditko).

And of course from Strage Tales #97, the introduction of Aunt May and Uncle Ben...

... who have kidnapped a mermaid because they can't have children of their own. :stare:

I will never understand why Lee and Ditko reused that couple in Amazing Fantasy #15.

I do find that one big negative is the stories repeating themselves. Given I've only read a fraction of the anthology monster books available at the time, and I'm already seeing repetition, I'm sure these themes and even entire stories are often ripped off from earlier books, be they comic or pulp mags. And, as I read into the early superhero stuff I also see a lot of repetition from the monster era.

Anyway I'm a lot further in my reading than this, but that's probably more than enough images for now.

Jordan7hm fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Aug 22, 2017

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

When you're lost out there and you're all alone, a light is waiting to carry you home
Kirby and Ditko really did some great work on those Atlas-era monster/horror books.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
I admire to trip and your determination. Good luck.

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist
Looking forward to more, Jordan!

I have basically all of the EC new trend stuff and the art is pretty killer, even if the stories often seem a bit over-written and pedestrian. Those were almost always four 6 or 7 page stories an issue.

Jedi
Feb 27, 2002

Jordan7hm posted:

I felt like correcting that so I've started a reading project to go through Marvel's back catalog.

The year before last, I started a project to read every X-Men and mutant related book from 1963 until present. It took me an entire year to get through the nearly 60 years of continuity. I don't want to know how long it would take to get through most of Marvel's back catalogue. Godspeed, young man.

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

Why isn't this chat thread named after August General in Iron?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Vincent posted:

Why isn't this chat thread named after August General in Iron?

Because Madkal is (was?) getting married this month and wanted to make is special for himself.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Endless Mike posted:

Because Madkal is (was?) getting married this month and wanted to make is special for himself.

3 days to go.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

I made that complaint a year ago!

edit: Or maybe it just the suggestion of a thread title that was then ignored :mad:

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Aug 24, 2017

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

Clearly the only solution is for Madkal to call off the wedding and for a mod to change the thread title then.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
I have sunk too much money into this wedding to call it off. Now if a bunch of villains plotted some insane scheme to prevent the wedding or some random clones started showing up I might consider changing the thread title/asking a mod to change the title.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

What if the new ruler of the underground sends a tentacle monster to kidnap you?

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
Wouldn't be the first time.

good day for a bris
Feb 4, 2006

No, I don't want to play "Conversation Parade".
How about we compromise:

August Wedding in Iron.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

That makes me think... Did The Absorbing Man and Titania ever get married? There's too much opportunity with the whole 'ball and chain' thing to pass up, I'd think.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

Sinteres posted:

I think they probably made a bad call on this story too, but they didn't know how bad things would be in real life when they started this event.

They should have listened to their critics who absolutely did know.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

Dan Didio posted:

They should have listened to their critics who absolutely did know.

2016.txt

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

Teenage Fansub posted:

That makes me think... Did The Absorbing Man and Titania ever get married? There's too much opportunity with the whole 'ball and chain' thing to pass up, I'd think.

Man, I hope that if they didn't, Crusher proposes if he survives the cliff hanger from last month's Blackbolt.

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Is Dial H for Hero any good? I read the reboot a few years ago and thought it was okay, but was curious about the original series.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
Tomorrow is the day and I am decked out with batman underwear, batman cufflinks, and a batman flask. I just wish I had a positive batman marriage story to focus on now.

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Madkal posted:

Tomorrow is the day and I am decked out with batman underwear, batman cufflinks, and a batman flask. I just wish I had a positive batman marriage story to focus on now.

I think the thing to think about is Batman's relationship with Robin, rather than his relationship with a woman. THAT relationship has been rock solid since the 40s, despite some on-again, off-again periods.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

DM Tom King on Twitter, tell him you're getting married, and ask him very nicely how the Catwoman thing is going to play out

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

purple death ray posted:

DM Tom King on Twitter, tell him you're getting married, and ask him very nicely how the Catwoman thing is going to play out

I don't know how to use Twitter but I think I have just done that. If Batman and Catwoman end up getting hitched now you can thank me.

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

The Great Twist
I'm reading DC 1,000,000 and there's a Starman issue that reminded me of the Starman series from the 90s. My library had most of the trades and I remember thinking it was pretty cool in high school--would it hold up today? If I remember correctly, it was sort of an early take on superheros and nostalgia and other themes that became more prevalent in the industry later on. But I don't remember too much about it plot wise or anything.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

A Strange Aeon posted:

I'm reading DC 1,000,000 and there's a Starman issue that reminded me of the Starman series from the 90s. My library had most of the trades and I remember thinking it was pretty cool in high school--would it hold up today? If I remember correctly, it was sort of an early take on superheros and nostalgia and other themes that became more prevalent in the industry later on. But I don't remember too much about it plot wise or anything.

It's the best. Starman is definitely my favorite series of all time, and despite some of Jack Knight's cooler-than-thou '90s hipster references early on, I think it has aged extremely well. The Starman #1,000,000 issue is an important part of the Starman series, and it would be included in the TPBs. Unfortunately, the earlier print run of TPBs from the '90s left out several stand-alone issues for no good reason, but the six Starman Omnibus editions are complete with all crossovers, tie-in issues, and anything else Starman-related.

It should be one of those series like Sandman, Watchmen, Y The Last Man, Planetary, Preacher, etc. that get recommended to every comics fan, whether they're a new or experienced reader. And it's the perfect superhero book for people who hate (or think they hate) superhero books, too.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

It *should* be recommended, but given how difficult it is to get ahold of without buying the individual issues digitally (assuming the whole series is even available digitally), it's difficult to really do so. The other series you mentioned are shorter and/or more readily available.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Madkal posted:

And if you had waited one more day you could have been married on Jack Kirby's 100th birthday!

PS: Today is Jack Kirby's 100th birthday, so let's post cool Jack Kirby stuff.

Jedi
Feb 27, 2002

As long as we're posting Kirby stuff, here's a tribute Alex Ross did in honor of the King's 100th birthday.

Jedi fucked around with this message at 16:28 on Aug 28, 2017

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
My personal favorite Jack Kirby panel

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

It's the best. Starman is definitely my favorite series of all time, and despite some of Jack Knight's cooler-than-thou '90s hipster references early on, I think it has aged extremely well. The Starman #1,000,000 issue is an important part of the Starman series, and it would be included in the TPBs. Unfortunately, the earlier print run of TPBs from the '90s left out several stand-alone issues for no good reason, but the six Starman Omnibus editions are complete with all crossovers, tie-in issues, and anything else Starman-related.

It should be one of those series like Sandman, Watchmen, Y The Last Man, Planetary, Preacher, etc. that get recommended to every comics fan, whether they're a new or experienced reader. And it's the perfect superhero book for people who hate (or think they hate) superhero books, too.

poo poo, I was hoping you wouldn't say it was so good. Even the DC 1,000,000 issue reminded me how much I liked the writing. 6 Omnibus editions--what's that going to cost me?

I felt really happy about the $30 I paid for the DC 1,000,000 Omnibus, but I'm guessing I'm not going to be so lucky with Starman.

Of the other ones you mentioned, I've read them all except Planetary--I haven't heard it in the same conversations as the others, I'm assuming I should read it as well?

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

A Strange Aeon posted:

poo poo, I was hoping you wouldn't say it was so good. Even the DC 1,000,000 issue reminded me how much I liked the writing. 6 Omnibus editions--what's that going to cost me?

I felt really happy about the $30 I paid for the DC 1,000,000 Omnibus, but I'm guessing I'm not going to be so lucky with Starman.

I would actually be willing to ship you the first Starman Omnibus cheap (are those out of print?). It's been read a total of once and I bought it before dropping out of comics. Can't make that deal for the other 5, though. PM me and we'll figure it out.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I bet you can put together a complete run for less than the cost of the Omni's.

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

The Great Twist
It looks like all the Omnis can be gotten for $15-$30, except the 3rd one, which on Amazon is $179.95. WTF?

And I don't think I've seen a paperback Omni before--how does the binding hold up on so many pages, if people have any experience?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

It looks like you can get the paperbacks of vol. 1 and 2 for $15 and $20 on ebay. Vols. 4-6 look to be between $40 and 60 for hardcovers, and there's no listings at all for vol. 3.

Complete sets of floppies look to be around $150, with or without the Shade minis.

Comixology has the entire series fro $2/issue, and there's DC sales a couple times a year for buy one get one, or 50% off or whatever.

EDIT: The binding should be fine. They're under 500 pages, which isn't at all unheard of for TPBs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
The Starman Omnibus editions were much thinner than most modern DC and Marvel Omnibuses, and not oversized like the Marvel ones. They were really nice.

Despite being a superfan, I don't own them, since I collected the series from the beginning and bought every related issue along the way. Years ago, I sent mine off to a bindery and had them bound into four beautiful custom hardcovers, with custom tables of contents. Sadly, that was before Starman #81 (a Blackest Night tie-in) and the Shade 12-issue miniseries came along so many years after the fact, but I think Omnibus Vol. 6 even includes Starman #81.

A Strange Aeon posted:

Of the other ones you mentioned, I've read them all except Planetary--I haven't heard it in the same conversations as the others, I'm assuming I should read it as well?
Oh my goodness, yes. And it has been reprinted in several formats, including a very affordable Omnibus.

• Locked thread