Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist
Pretty sure it's published by Dynamite now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

The Great Twist
X-Statix and X-Force by the same guy are generally considered solid reads, right?

Also, does Werewolf by Night fit into the wider Marvel continuity at all? A local store was having a buy 2 used trades, get 1 free sale, so I ended up picking up the Essential Werewolf by Night--just curious if it's any good. I read the first issue in the volume and thought it was alright.

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Endless Mike posted:

No, because this is a fantastic run of comics exceeding "solid".

Be sure to snag the Wolverine & Doop miniseries, too.

I liked Doop in Aaron's Wolverine and the X-men--his origin is in X-Statix?

Oh, and is the X-Statix Omnibus the way to go? Does it include everything I want?

A Strange Aeon fucked around with this message at 02:44 on Aug 7, 2017

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Is Paper Girls good? I like BKV usually, but was somewhat disappointed by the last thing I read, The Private Eye.

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Roth posted:

Do you really like The Goonies?

I like it okay, I guess. So Paper Girls is like a young adult adventure kind of thing?

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

The Great Twist
I won a Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles beach towel from a comic book shop raffle last weekend and went to pick it up yesterday.

While there, I looked through the free poster box and found one advertising a 12-issue miniseries from 2000 set in the Silver Age--I'd like to track these all down, but I'm not sure the best way. Searching eBay for DC Silver Age does not return what I want--and as far as I know, there was no trade collecting the story.

Would I really need to search for each issue by its title, or is there some common name for this series I'm missing that I could use to track it down? I almost never buy single issues, so I'm a bit flummoxed.

I guess, also, is it worth tracking down? The covers look really fun and I like the idea--so even if it's just decent, I think it would still appeal to me.

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

The Great Twist
So I'll just have to track down the titles individually I guess? Is there a site everyone uses for that or do they just ask at their local shop?

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Rhyno posted:

https://www.mycomicshop.com/search?q=silver+age&pubid=&PubRng=

Scroll down to Silver Age (2000), they should all be there.

Super, thanks!

One more question--since I almost never deal in single issues--is a "Fine" condition good enough for reading? I'm assuming it's not something that's going to just fall apart immediately. But then there's like 3 grades above Fine, so I feel like maybe I have no idea the real difference between the grades. Is "Fine" like an Amazon "acceptable"?

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

The Great Twist
"minor water spotting or residue (less than the size of a dime)", WTF?

Anyway, thanks, I just ordered the 12 issues, looking forward to reading them!

On an unrelated note, is Morrison's DC 1 Million worth reading? I think I basically half-like Morrison, but there's a site selling the Omnibus for $30, which seems like a good deal...though god only knows when I'll find time to read 1000+ pages.

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Open Marriage Night posted:

It's easily worth $30. The main story alone is worth that. Then you get a whole lot of bonus insanity that is, at the very least, crazy enough to be worth reading.

Good to hear multiple recommendations--I just ordered it!

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Teenage Fansub posted:

Keep in mind it's nestled in with the rest of his JLA run.

Meaning I'd need familiarity with his JLA run? I'm passing familiar with the JLA in general--and I recently bought the three Silver Age trades that are out. Does Morrison have some super unique take on the JLA that I should get myself familiar with before diving in to the 1 Million stuff?

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Is the Marvel Ultimate series worth reading nowadays?

I remember when they were coming out, I was in high school and they seemed kind of edgy or What Iffy, kind of, but an entire alternative continuity. I only read a handful, but I was curious what their reputation is today. They aren't still ongoing, right?

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Is there a Carl Barks book I should check out to see if I'd like the rest of his stuff? His name gets spoken of in high esteem, and I tend to like comics from that era, but I just don't really know where I'd get started.

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Were Marvel comics considered 'liberal' when they came onto the scene? I know EC comics in the 50s got into trouble for publishing a sci fi story where the twist was that the main character was a black man, but they always seemed to be somewhat progressive in their sci fi stuff.

I would think Stan's sentiment was pretty mainstream, even in the 60s, but the fact that he published it made me think maybe there was another source saying the opposite or just being totally silent on the matter.

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Senior Woodchuck posted:

That would be Lost in the Andes and The Seven Cities of Gold.

Thanks! Added both to my wishlist!

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

The Great Twist
I picked up the Wednesday Comics collection for 10 bucks and it's huge and awesome!

I just finished the Kamandi story by Gibbons, and I was wondering if the original Kirby work is worth tracking down? I really enjoyed the setting and the various mutated animal factions, but I don't recall too many people saying Kamandi ranks especially high in Kirby's output.

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Teenage Fansub posted:

Amazon's listing one of the current volumes at over $100, so you might have to wait for the new complete omnibus in March https://www.amazon.com/Kamandi-Jack-Kirby-Omnibus/dp/1401274692
Otherwise, it's all on Comixology.

There's a current Kamandi Challenge series, which is pretty neat. The point is for each issue's creative team to leave a deathtrap cliffhanger for the next issue's creative team to figure out how to get out of.

Thanks, added the Omnibus to my wishlist.

Unrelated, but didn't want to doublepost--does Amanda Conner have a 'marquee' series I should check out if I like her art? I just read her Supergirl story in Wednesday Comics and really enjoyed the tone of the art.

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Wheat Loaf posted:

Mentioned in a PYF thread in relation to LoEG and now repeated here: am I supposed to attribute a kind of ironic significance to Alan Moore denouncing James Bond as a racist, sexist, alcoholic thug (fair enough) via the mouthpiece of an H. Rider Haggard (a great adventure writer but one who also embodied many of the worst tendencies of his era in his fiction) character, or is it more a case of, "It's okay when my childhood favourites are problematic"? :shrug:

As brilliant as Moore is, there's no way he could have considered every implication of every character and creator of that character in League. Especially considering some of the deep cuts he makes in western literature, his beating up of Bond struck me as kind of mean-spirited; compared to Quartermain, whom it's doubtful any of his audience would have heard of, let alone read, before encountering him in League, Bond is a household name. So I'd say your second theory is probably closer to the mark, given he has Mina confess to masturbating as a young woman to the adventure tales of Quartermain, probably the most ringing endorsement Alan Moore could make.

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Looking forward to more, Jordan!

I have basically all of the EC new trend stuff and the art is pretty killer, even if the stories often seem a bit over-written and pedestrian. Those were almost always four 6 or 7 page stories an issue.

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Is Dial H for Hero any good? I read the reboot a few years ago and thought it was okay, but was curious about the original series.

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Madkal posted:

Tomorrow is the day and I am decked out with batman underwear, batman cufflinks, and a batman flask. I just wish I had a positive batman marriage story to focus on now.

I think the thing to think about is Batman's relationship with Robin, rather than his relationship with a woman. THAT relationship has been rock solid since the 40s, despite some on-again, off-again periods.

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

The Great Twist
I'm reading DC 1,000,000 and there's a Starman issue that reminded me of the Starman series from the 90s. My library had most of the trades and I remember thinking it was pretty cool in high school--would it hold up today? If I remember correctly, it was sort of an early take on superheros and nostalgia and other themes that became more prevalent in the industry later on. But I don't remember too much about it plot wise or anything.

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

It's the best. Starman is definitely my favorite series of all time, and despite some of Jack Knight's cooler-than-thou '90s hipster references early on, I think it has aged extremely well. The Starman #1,000,000 issue is an important part of the Starman series, and it would be included in the TPBs. Unfortunately, the earlier print run of TPBs from the '90s left out several stand-alone issues for no good reason, but the six Starman Omnibus editions are complete with all crossovers, tie-in issues, and anything else Starman-related.

It should be one of those series like Sandman, Watchmen, Y The Last Man, Planetary, Preacher, etc. that get recommended to every comics fan, whether they're a new or experienced reader. And it's the perfect superhero book for people who hate (or think they hate) superhero books, too.

poo poo, I was hoping you wouldn't say it was so good. Even the DC 1,000,000 issue reminded me how much I liked the writing. 6 Omnibus editions--what's that going to cost me?

I felt really happy about the $30 I paid for the DC 1,000,000 Omnibus, but I'm guessing I'm not going to be so lucky with Starman.

Of the other ones you mentioned, I've read them all except Planetary--I haven't heard it in the same conversations as the others, I'm assuming I should read it as well?

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

The Great Twist
It looks like all the Omnis can be gotten for $15-$30, except the 3rd one, which on Amazon is $179.95. WTF?

And I don't think I've seen a paperback Omni before--how does the binding hold up on so many pages, if people have any experience?

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Rhyno posted:

Vol.3 was under printed for some reason and the softcover has been canceled three times due to insufficient preorders.

Lame.

I see a set of 10 trades for 80 bucks on eBay--but those leave out a bunch of stuff from the sounds of it, right? Though tracking the 3rd Omnibus down for a reasonable price seems like it's going to suck.

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Rhyno posted:

Buy 1, 2, 4, 5 & 6 and the singles that would be in vol.3?

So confused. There's a Starman Omnibus 3 available on DC's site for $30 with this description:

"In this third STARMAN volume collecting STARMAN #30-38, STARMAN ANNUAL #2 and STARMAN SECRET FILES #1, Opal City is terrorized by Dr. Pip, an eccentric bomber. Plus, Starman teams up with Batman to save the life of Solomon Grundy."

That doesn't seem like it would be 400+ pages, but it seems longer than a regular trade. Is that the one that other people have for hundreds of dollars? Or is DC's main site not accurate as to availability?

E. I'm dumb, if you click buy it, it just gives links to Amazon and Barnes and Noble, so even if it was what I wanted, it's most assuredly not available for 30 bucks.

A Strange Aeon fucked around with this message at 14:51 on Aug 29, 2017

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Is there some way to see what issues are collected in a given trade on Amazon or am I missing something?

Trying to figure out which Starman trades would cover the third Omnibus--I know I'll need to track down the mini series and one shots separately.

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

The Great Twist

That's a great breakdown for the Omnibus, which will help me track down the single issues. But for the main issues 30 to 38, I'm assuming I can get those in one or two volumes of the trade paperbacks, I'm just not sure how to tell which trades cover those issues.

Dude was right about Starman being annoyingly hard to recommend re: its availability.

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Lightning Lord posted:

It was but it was not collected in that trade.

What a pain in the rear end! You weren't kidding about how difficult they made it. I never realized trades could leave so much out, I just assumed they were everything minus the ads and letter pages.

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

The Great Twist
So disheartening to hear! I just feel like I don't have space in my life to track down single issues, so I'm sure I'm missing out on amazing stuff that I'd love that was never collected in trades. And I know I could go digital, I guess, but I really don't get as much enjoyment out of reading a comic on my computer as I do reading an actual book in my hands. I might do a few months of Marvel Unlimited at some point to read the original runs of all the classic 60s stuff at some point--owning all the Absolute / Masterpiece editions of all that stuff would cost me a fortune, as much as I think it'd be awesome to own.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

The Great Twist
I like the black and white alright, but honestly, if I'm reading old comics, part of the fun is seeing them in color. There's tons of indie black and white stuff that was never intended to be colored. The recent Justice League trades are quite affordable and in color--I think the first 30 issues are covered in 3 volumes, and each volume is 20 bucks.

In terms of value, I really don't like the hardcovers DC did, where for $50, you get 4 full color issues of a comic from the 40s. I feel like it's just too expensive to really pursue those collections, though I'm glad they exist, so if someone wanted to read Golden Age Starman, for instance, they have a way to do so.

• Locked thread