Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Artsygrrl posted:

Now I want a milkshake and some Squirrel Girl comics. Is there a collection of her stuff, or should I start hunting down the individual issues of Unbeatable?
There are collections. There's even an OGN, since the character probably does better in trade / collected form than in singles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Samuringa posted:

I think I might dip in then. I have Batman & Son on Comixology and the Morrison issues up to Batman #702 but I skipped on Final Crisis - not fond of events. I wasn't aware of Batman Inc. also being in this cronology, I thought it was just some extra thing and was actually going to skip it entirely :v: .

For reference, this is my current plan:

- I ordered a Batman & Robin tpb - it contains B&R(2009) #1-16; Later I'll get one that has B&R(2009) #17-26.
- I suppose at this point I should read The Return, so I'll look into a tpb that has The Return of Bruce Wayne #1-6
- (Batman Inc. is somewhere around here?)
- Another Batman & Robin tpb, this time with B&R(2011) #1-14
- A trade called "Death of the Family" with Batman(2011) #13-17 and Batman & Robin #15-17
- The last trade, Batman & Robin: Requiem with B&R(2011) #18-23

I found two trades containing Batman Inc., one has Batman Inc.(2011) #1-8, Batman Inc.: Leviathan Strike #1-2 and Batman: The Return; The second has Batman Inc.(2012) #0-13 and Batman Inc. Special. I just don't know exactly where these two fit...

This whole thing came out way more messy than I expected but if it all fits together then I'll start looking into it. Thanks for the help.

Most of the Batman stuff in Final Crisis is covered in the trades Batman RIP and Time and the Batman (which is issues 700, 701 and 702). Time and the Batman just needs to be read somewhere between RIP and Return of Bruce Wayne. Final Crisis is a good event and while Batman's role in it is absolutely crucial he doesn't actually appear on screen that much, so reading it just for his stuff is a bit clunky.

The (pre-N52) Batman Incorporated follows on directly from the end of Morrisons B&R. The N52 one runs alongside the main Batman run but doesn't really intersect with it until near the end where Damian dies, which happens between B&R #17 and #18 (ie just before the Requiem trade starts).

The Death of the Family trade is pretty much unrelated to Morrison's stuff, and fits in better with Snyder's run. Or (hot take incoming) is entirely skippable because Snyder's love of the Joker doesn't result in good stories.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Samuringa posted:

I actually don't want to get Death of the Family but it's the only physical collection available for me which contains Batman & Robin #15-17 and I figure those are somewhat crucial to Requiem considering what happens there.

So If I'm getting this right it should go: GMo's Batman & Robin > Return of Bruce Wayne > Batman Inc. > Tomasi's Batman & Robin + Batman Inc.(Nu52)

Morrison's B&R and Return of Bruce Wayne happen simultaneously (in a sense), with the finale of RoBW leading right in to the finale of B&R. It's a bit awkward for reading purposes.

Otherwise that looks right.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

RandallODim posted:

Yeah, the only thing that has had me truly excited about the Joker in the past few years is the Batman Telltale game.

Same, except Arkham Knight.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Wheat Loaf posted:

However, who would be the earliest superhero who had a secret identity and cultivated a separate persona to act as a public face? The ones that immediately occur to me are the Scarlet Pimpernel and Zorro, but are there any such characters predating them?

Spring-Heeled Jack in a way.

E: Dick Turpin too.

There's also the Count of Monte Cristo, although in that case the secret identity / public persona is as a part of a specific plan.

Doctor Spaceman fucked around with this message at 16:30 on Aug 19, 2017

• Locked thread