Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

irlZaphod posted:

I'm not sure if this is a good thing or a bad thing.

Are DC trying to capture the MRA market?

Is Silvestri an MRA? Last I heard he was a generic liberal. Or is this more a "Top Cow = boobs" statement

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

Lurdiak posted:

Don't we have a Valiant thread?

It's published by Dynamite

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

A Strange Aeon posted:

Pretty sure it's published by Dynamite now.

You sure about that?

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

I liked the Greg Pak Turok where the Native Americans viewed the Europeans as unwashed barbarians. It was a pretty refreshing reversal of how that usually goes in fiction set in the Age of Discovery

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

A Strange Aeon posted:

X-Statix and X-Force by the same guy are generally considered solid reads, right?

Also, does Werewolf by Night fit into the wider Marvel continuity at all? A local store was having a buy 2 used trades, get 1 free sale, so I ended up picking up the Essential Werewolf by Night--just curious if it's any good. I read the first issue in the volume and thought it was alright.

Yeah, Jack Russell (one of the worst and therefore best pun names in comics IMO) is a relatively important supernatural character who's involved with the likes of Dr Strange.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

Rhyno posted:

See I've long been irritated because he is clearly ripped off of Tim Hunter.

Gaiman said they both probably ripped off T.H. White.

I remember telling someone that Rowling based Harry Potter on Tim Hunter and despite being a comic fan he thought I meant the hockey player.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

It feels like someone triggered one of those trap sprung posts in here.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

Rhyno posted:

YES I'M THE ONLY HAWK-PERSONS FAN IN BSS

I like Hawkman but you have to admit there's been a lot of garbage Hawkcomics. Then again, you also have the classic Joe Kubert comics, Hawkman in the 60s and 70s Justice League, the beginning of the Thanagar/Rann war stuff, the Hawkworld miniseries and the ongoing that I need to reread because I remember that it started out good but eventually fell apart... I think part of the problem is that there's two or three characters who are called Hawkman that aren't as firmly distinct from each other as the different Flashes or Green Lanterns are, and creators who are fans of all of them.

As I was typing that, I realized that when tertiary characters are in comics that are bad or stupid for awhile, the characters themselves are basically blamed for it. Like no one "blames" Spider-Man for the Clone Saga, it was just a bad period of Spidey comics. Hawkman is a perfectly fine character, and there's plenty of good, readable comics that star or feature him, but he gets inherently written off.

Lightning Lord fucked around with this message at 12:34 on Aug 19, 2017

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

A Strange Aeon posted:

I picked up the Wednesday Comics collection for 10 bucks and it's huge and awesome!

I just finished the Kamandi story by Gibbons, and I was wondering if the original Kirby work is worth tracking down? I really enjoyed the setting and the various mutated animal factions, but I don't recall too many people saying Kamandi ranks especially high in Kirby's output.

gently caress yes, it's a really good comic. It's just not like, the Fourth World Saga or the best of Fantastic Four.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

X-O posted:

I took off work to drive someone four hours to watch something for two minutes. I wish I’d taken off to just sleep instead.

Did you go blind though?

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

Dan Didio posted:

They should have listened to their critics who absolutely did know.

2016.txt

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

DC's trade department was and still might be absolutlely terrible at their jobs.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

A Strange Aeon posted:

Is there some way to see what issues are collected in a given trade on Amazon or am I missing something?

Trying to figure out which Starman trades would cover the third Omnibus--I know I'll need to track down the mini series and one shots separately.

http://dc.wikia.com/wiki/Starman_Omnibus_Vol._3_(Collected)

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

A Strange Aeon posted:

That's a great breakdown for the Omnibus, which will help me track down the single issues. But for the main issues 30 to 38, I'm assuming I can get those in one or two volumes of the trade paperbacks, I'm just not sure how to tell which trades cover those issues.

Dude was right about Starman being annoyingly hard to recommend re: its availability.

That's Infernal Devices: http://dc.wikia.com/wiki/Starman:_Infernal_Devices_(Collected)

Unfortunately, it's missing 36 for some reason. Like I said, DC's collection department used to be trash.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

Senior Woodchuck posted:

I would bet 36 was a "Times Past" story. DC collected those in their own separate volume for the trades.

It was but it was not collected in that trade.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

A Strange Aeon posted:

What a pain in the rear end! You weren't kidding about how difficult they made it. I never realized trades could leave so much out, I just assumed they were everything minus the ads and letter pages.

Trades, especially DC's, used to be kind of perfunctory. They'd mostly collect stuff they thought would move best in bookstores. It's why Vertigo's trade program was way more robust than the DC superhero universe's. It's only relatively recently that we've had these all-encompassing collections, hell often all you'd get would be the first arc of a series.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

Skwirl posted:

Vertigo has some problems too, Sandman trades have issues out of order, I feel like it was only in the past decade you could get anything more than first 8 issues of Jamie Delano's run on Hellblazer in trade. It just jumped straight to Garth Ennis more than 30 issues later. I'm not even sure if Hellblazer 51 is available in any trade, and that was the one that established him as bisexual, which my understanding is they've made pretty important to his recent stuff (it's a one off issue by a different writer that happens in the middle of Ennis' run).

Yeah, I'm just saying even with all these problems, it was better than DC's mainstream imprint trade program. So much stuff was just uncollected, or only had one trade ever. Vertigo at least tried to release whole series, or chunks of whole series. But yeah, there's still problems like why isn't all of Shade the Changing Man collected? Why aren't there super deluxe versions of Swamp Thing?

51 is collected in this trade http://comicbookdb.com/issue.php?ID=282033

Comic Book DB is a really comprehensive site btw. I just remembered it, otherwise I would have suggested it for the Starman stuff. Like, if you want to read everything by a certain writer or artist, that's the best site to use for that sort of thing.

A Strange Aeon posted:

So disheartening to hear! I just feel like I don't have space in my life to track down single issues, so I'm sure I'm missing out on amazing stuff that I'd love that was never collected in trades. And I know I could go digital, I guess, but I really don't get as much enjoyment out of reading a comic on my computer as I do reading an actual book in my hands. I might do a few months of Marvel Unlimited at some point to read the original runs of all the classic 60s stuff at some point--owning all the Absolute / Masterpiece editions of all that stuff would cost me a fortune, as much as I think it'd be awesome to own.

Marvel Unlimited is great and I believe DC is leaving money on the table by not doing something is similar. BTW, there's plenty of stuff from later than the 60s that's worth keeping Unlimited around for. Like they have almost everything from before the last six months.

Also there are a couple of discount options for classic material. If you don't mind black and white, you can get some old Essentials or Showcases. Essential is dead and has been replaced with Epic Collections which are in color and more expensive, but I believe Showcase Presents is lumbering along. There's also other collections, like Marvel has Complete Collections for some stuff that aren't going to set you back as much as Masterpieces or Absolutes

Lightning Lord fucked around with this message at 02:57 on Aug 31, 2017

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

Skwirl posted:

Sad to hear they killed essential, in some ways I prefer the black and white, really highlighted Kirby and Ditko's excellent line work, and it was fun also having phonebook sized collections (do people younger than me even know what a phonebook is? They still end up on my doorstep occasionally).

Unlimited is great they still have a lot of holes in their older stuff, but they add a dozen or so old books every week (when Jay and Miles covered Xtinction Agenda, the X-Factor books weren't there, now I think almost all of X-Factor is) and if it was a non-Max comic published after 2000 it's almost certainly there. Only other complaint about it is they don't seem to have a consistent policy on where they list books that start with "The" and crossovers are a bit of a pain all the issues were there, but it was a pain in the rear end reading Xtinction Agenda.

Yes, and old books that nobody remembers where they were originally published. It was kind of a pain in the rear end to read Starlin's Warlock on there for example.

Showcase Presents is basically dead too, I think the only newly solicited one is a Batman.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

Rhyno posted:

Yeah, when asked about it both DC and Marvel have told retailers that sales on black & white reprints were poo poo. That's what killed both lines.

How are the Epic Collections doing? They seem more popular in general.

• Locked thread