Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

joehonkie posted:

Didn't Janet marry Hank Pym when he was mentally unstable and violent and having multiple personality disorder?
Yes and no?

The whole "Hank Pym is crazy and violent and multiple personality disorder" thing lasted about two issues and played out closer to the Nutty Professor than some sort of violent Ultimates psychodrama. Hank Pym had an inferiority complex about being in love with Janet because she was young and rich and hanging out with all of the way more handsome/powerful/successful Avengers made him feel like she'd never want to marry a guy like him. He felt even worse about himself after Ultron escaped and turned himself into a Avengers antagonizing murderbot, and went into seclusion. He was gone for a few issues, and suddenly Yellowjacket appears as a brash poo poo-talking new hero who basically goes "oh that Hank Pym? Yeah, I killed that loser, I'm better at shrinking and growing and controlling insects and everything that loser ever tried, and I'm also a better lover, hey Janet, let me show you how a REAL MAN treats a lady!" and basically fights off the whole team to kiss Janet.

Because it's 1968 and a goofy Roy Thomas comic, she recognizes the dude kissing her as Hank Pym, and decides to go along with his wedding proposal, and I guess the combination of having his love affirmed and seeing Janet in danger from the contractually obligated "supervillains try to break up a wedding" attack allow Hank to go "hey everyone, I have a confession to make. I, Yellowjacket, am actually Hank Pym!" to which pretty much everyone nods and moves along and Hank realizes he's capable of being a hero and being loved until another storyline comes along where he's a crazed loser, which didn't really become a regular story beat until the 1980s.

As something in continuity that people have repeatedly dredged up for decades, it's really mentally unstable and a weird form of suicidal ideation, but as a story from fifty years ago it really reads more like one of those issues of JImmy Olsen/Lois Lane where Jimmy Olsen declares he's actually a hippie that hates Superman, or Lois Lane is an evil opera singer who is going to marry Lex Luthor. Except they just sort of rolled with it and Hank and Janet stayed married for another 100+ issues of Avengers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Man, I looked up what's up with the Gold Key licenses and... jeez. I knew that when Acclaim went out of business and the current Valiant bought up the "Valiant" IP that the Gold Key licenses were uncoupled from the Valiant ones, but... Acclaim's bankruptcy was in 2004.

(Current) Valiant bought up the IP in 2005, but somehow got involved in a legal battle for years so they didn't actually launch until 2012.

Meanwhile the Gold Key characters were part of a portfolio of old mostly inert IP incuding Lassie and Casper owned by Classic Media, which was purchased by Boomerang Media, which was purchased by Dreamworks, which was purchased by Comcast.

This is also what, at least the third hard reboot/relaunch of the Gold Key books? There was the short-lived Jim Shooter one at Dark Horse, then a few years back they did an actually-pretty-good Gold Key relaunch at Dynamite with Pak and Van Lente running it. Then they tried soft relaunching that with a ridiculous crossover book. Now this.

I'd say that Classic/Boomerang/Dreamworks/Comcast should just try giving the license back to Valiant, but at this point they've built up enough of a "new" universe it would be really weird to inject Solar and Magnus and Turok into it.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Roth posted:

Well, the reader knows that. Random people in the actual comics probably don't.
Nick Spencer wrote a Fear Itself tie-in about this, where Black Widow harangues TMZ about reporting on Bucky's death (well, that particular one) and while it was just as incoherent and smug and meta as you can imagine, I believe the big takeaway was that for superheroes, death is actually WORSE.

She tells one of the journalists something like "yeah, boo hoo, your wife died of cancer. At least you know she's dead and you can move on with your life and remarry because you know she's dead. I have no idea if Bucky will ever come back, or if he's trapped in a hell dimension, or brainwashed, or lost in the timestream, or if he'll be resurrected by the Hand, or turned into a zombie, or cloned! The pain of not knowing is worse!!!" And all of the weak beta cucks of the TMZ newsroom had to admit that Black Widow put them in their place and the giant statue of Abraham Lincoln probably gave her a solidarity salute as she swung out of their offices and into the Fear Itself tie-in that came out two weeks later revealing she had helped Bucky fake his own death.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Endless Mike posted:

Not really? Looking at Comichron for random issues, they tended to end up selling in the 40-50k range after a 100k+ first issue. Quite good, to be sure, but Star Wars is currently in the 70k range in its 32nd issue.
The first Dark Tower mini-series (The Gunslinger Born) in 2007 was consistently a Top 5 book, and all seven issues had initial orders of over 100,000, with the first five issues getting second and/or third prints, not to mention being a best seller in collected form both in comic shops and bookstores.

They dropped off after that, first slightly and then rapidly, I think as it became clear that they were going to primarily be largely recaps of stuff from the books with little to no direct involvement from King himself. Then the art took a hit, then they turned into straight up adaptations of the books, and they weren't selling nearly as well, though I'm sure they do better in trades than a random collection of West Coast Avengers issues or whatever in the back catalog.

The two things that I think are required in the modern era to make licensed comics sell well are:

1) The original creator, or barring that for something like Star Wars, the sort of Official Seal of Approval of the Official People Making This Thing.

AND

2) Big/good creators working on the books.

I know I wouldn't be bothering with the Star Wars books if I didn't enjoy Jason Aaron and Kieron Gillen (and Stuart Immonen and some of the other artists), and I like Star Wars as a property. I like a lot of animated shows that have comic series too (Adventure Time, Rick & Morty, Bob's Burgers, the Simpsons) but I've only ever checked any of those books out when a creator I like is working on them. I'm sure I'm an outlier in some ways, but back in the 1980s (and even to a lesser extent in the early 2000s), when books like GI Joe and Transformers were huge, you had a fanbase starved for content featuring Their Favorites, which is decidedly not the case now.

I guess it kind of IS the case with Harry Potter, as Rowling has largely held back a tidal wave of Harry Potter cartoons and video games and apps and toys and comic adaptations and spin-off novels and etc. etc. etc. so a Harry Potter comic series coming out now would be big news in a way that I dunno, a Star Trek comic revival wouldn't be. In that I just looked it up and realized that IDW is currently publishing Star Trek comics that I did not even known existed.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Ha ha ha, that's not even CBR/Comic Book ResourceS, it's Comic BookS Resource. It's like posting an article from the News York Time.

Laughter directed at whoever darkened your doorstep with that "thinkpiece", not you, Soonmot.

Looking at this site and this might be Russian fake news for comic books??

Edge & Christian fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Aug 11, 2017

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Skwirl posted:

That's a loving amazing article, there are zero sources for anything at all, literally the only established fact is that Disney owns Marvel and comic books don't make as much money as movies, so the conclusion is Disney is going to stop making comic books? Nevermind that before Disney owned a comic book company they licensed out of their own IP for comic books. Also nevermind that buying an IP farm doesn't make a lot of sense if you're going to say "we got enough IPs shut the whole thing down."
If you look at that writer's history, this sort of in-depth industry analysis is new ground for him. Previous posts include:

Classic “Doctor Who” Eventually Hits Streaming
8 Famous Actresses Re-Imagined As “Seven Of Nine” From Star Trek Is All Kinds Of Awesome!
Top 10 Incredibly Attractive Power Rangers Of All Time.
9 Darth Vader Vs Xenomorphs Fan-Arts Will Tantalise Your Geeky Senses!
Top 10 Rare Facts About “The Avengers” – Movie Which That Superhero “Genre Mainstream!
10 Angelic Pictures And Interesting Fun Info On Patrick J. Adams and Pretty Little Liar’s “Troian Bellisario” Wedding.
10 Sensuous Ladies Of Japanese Anime.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

A Strange Aeon posted:

I would think Stan's sentiment was pretty mainstream, even in the 60s, but the fact that he published it made me think maybe there was another source saying the opposite or just being totally silent on the matter.
I mean, the editorial is from 1968. The same year MLK was assassinated (and had a Gallup approval rating lower than Trump's today), the same year Nixon won the White House using the Southern Strategy, people were getting killed in civil rights/anti-segregation protests pretty much monthly, George Wallace was considered a solid third party presidential candidate on the platform of "Segregation Now, Segregation Tomorrow, Segregation Forever", etc. etc. etc. DC Comics had yet to have a black superhero (or really even a civilian supporting character) appear in their comics as of 1968.

I don't think Marvel pushed anything that would be considered super "liberal" from a modern perspective, but the fact that by 1968 they were publishing comics where Peter Parker had a (higher ranked) black co-worker, Black Panther and Bill Foster were portrayed as peers to Reed Richards and Hank Pym in scientific achievement, and Nick Fury had a black guy (Gabe Jones) in his WWII crew from 1963 onward even though the actual US army wasn't desegregated (on paper, not really in practice) until 1948, probably put them in the crosshairs for some racists.

1968 was the year that it was considered "controversial" to let Kirk and Uhura kiss on an episode of Star Trek, because they were of different races and that had never happened on US television before, even though it was a kiss that was taking place two hundred years in the future while the interracial couple were under mind control. Interracial marriage was straight up illegal in like sixteen states up until a Supreme Court ruling in 1967. That was the state of things when Stan Lee wrote that essay.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Mileage varies wildly, but some other at least noteworthy MAX books:

Cage by Brian Azzarello/Richard Corben depends almost entirely on your tolerance for how Azzarello writes people of color/people in general, but the Corben art is pretty sweet if at times equally problematic.

Starr the Slayer swaps out Azzarello for Daniel Way (a loss in any scenario) but is more Corben bloodiness if that's your thing.

Deadpool MAX by David Lapham and Kyle Baker is nowhere near the best work from either person and is definitely on the far end of "reinterpretations" of Deadpool/Cable/etc. and Baker is in full Poser mode but I stuck with it and remember parts of it being quite funny.

Howard the Duck was Steve Gerber's last major project before he passed away and was uneven but also enjoyable.

Shang-Chi: Master of Kung Fu was a similar "original creators return to their classic book" but with the bonus that Moench and Gulacy haven't since passed. I never read it though.

And if you're really into any of the following creators, you can be a completist and track down:

Black Widow: Pale Little Spider (Rucka/Kordey)
Dominic Fortune (Howard Chaykin)
Terror, Inc. (Lapham/Zircher)

Speaking personally I can't strongly recommend any of those, though Howard the Duck and Cage are interesting curios, especially given that were it not for Bendis that might have been the revamped Luke Cage of the 21st Century. I liked Deadpool MAX too but I think that I was literally alone on here in thinking that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Madkal posted:

I just came from a massive bookstore in the middle of no where where the owner had about 100 long boxes filled with comics. I asked if they were his personal collection and he just replied that he travels all over buying up people's collections. By the looks of it he doesn't sell anything in the boxes at marked up prices but everything in the boxes were about 1.50 ea. If I was a collector this would seem like jack pot island and I was even considering in going and looking for full runs but I am trying to move away from buying single issues.
What era were they from? Did it look like he had any fanzines or Wizards or whatever from the 1990s?

• Locked thread