Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Congrats on the marriage dude! I'm getting hitched in February so I know all about wedding stuff!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Still on the outs with no rumor sources but a friend of mine claims that DC has opened negotiations with Marc Silvestri to purchase his Top Cow imprint and all it's characters.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Mr Hootington posted:

Ah more characters to get shunted off to limbo.

Lurdiak posted:

This is just like EA/Activision buying beloved game franchises and then never making a new one.

Which is any different than now? The entire TC line is in limbo.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Mister Miracle #1 was so good that we doubled our order on it, we feel that strongly that it will be a hit.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Open Marriage Night posted:

Looking forward to a new av when people get ahold of the book.

Gotta wait for a non-watermarked copy right?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Skwirl posted:

Kate Leth is still one of my favorite people on twitter.
https://twitter.com/kateleth/status/893562427324768257
https://twitter.com/kateleth/status/893562883904159744

Unrelated, what does Top Cow even own? At first I thought they were the company that did mostly licensed properties, but the Turok talk made me realize I was probably thinking of Dynamite, so I have no idea what they publish.

Cyberforce, Witchblade, the Darkness. I could see the last two being very viable in external media.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Everyone of the parties involved knows nobody will care about the GK properties unless they are coupled to Valiant. The problem is, the owners of the GK IP only want to license it and Valiant is only interested in buying it outright.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
No COA usually means no value added at all.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Usually not unless it's a big name or dead creator.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Wheat Loaf posted:

If J. K. Rowling announced that she was going to personally write Harry Potter comics that would either bridge the gap between Deathly Hallows and Cursed Child or tell new stories set during Harry's years at Hogwarts, how big would that be? Could it pull off a "one million copies sold" like Star Wars #1 did a couple of years ago?

I honestly think it would be bigger. DC has pitched HP comics to her numerous times. The word is she doesn't really care for the medium.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Endless Mike posted:

I'm gonna go out on a limb and say Harry Potter comics would sell well, but not *as* well as you might expect. The people who would buy HP comics are probably going to "non-traditional (i.e. not white male)" buyers, so it will do well in trade and digital, maybe not gangbusters in the direct market.

I disagree. The Dark Tower comics did bonkers numbers when they were new. A JK written HP mini series would be a massive hit.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I'm just one dude in a small shop but we get asked if there are HP comics constantly. It's been discussed at retailer summits every time I have attended. DC knows it would be the best selling book ever. It's the white whale.

Endless Mike posted:

Not really? Looking at Comichron for random issues, they tended to end up selling in the 40-50k range after a 100k+ first issue. Quite good, to be sure, but Star Wars is currently in the 70k range in its 32nd issue.

The first issue was the most heavily hyped and advertised Marvel comics we'd ever seen to that point. External news sites that didn't care about comics were reporting about it. We had a midnight release on the first issue with 100+ people showing up to buy it. If people care that much about DT 7 years ago I guarantee the HP fanbase would show up in shops to get the comics.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
See I've long been irritated because he is clearly ripped off of Tim Hunter.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
The catch is it needs to be a new JK written story. An adaptation or authorized book will drop in popularity quickly. If King had ever actually done the DT one shot they talked about it would have been unreal, easily the most ordered comic of that year.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Roth posted:

Chances are pretty good that IDW will be publishing a comic based on a billion other properties that none of us know about.

Is IDW just primarily focused on licensed comics? I know they do publish original stuff too, but it feels like none of those really define them like Dark Horse or Image do.

30 Days of Night and Locke and Key are two major non licensed titles that IDW published.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Open Marriage Night posted:

I wonder how many copies of Love Is Love were sold just for that Jim Lee Harry Potter page?

Humberto Ramos did a good looking Harry Potter piece for a Wizard April Fools joke. Same year Geoff Johns did an interview saying he was adapting The Goonies. They got me good that year.

They made a huge deal out of that HP page so I'm sure it helped move a few copies.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Skwirl posted:

Paying money for the second one is way more depressing than the first, good on the girls for getting paid, but ugh.

There's a lot of lonely motherfuckers out there who validate themselves by their massive list of "friends" on facebook and instagram.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

A Strange Aeon posted:

So I'll just have to track down the titles individually I guess? Is there a site everyone uses for that or do they just ask at their local shop?

https://www.mycomicshop.com/search?q=silver+age&pubid=&PubRng=

Scroll down to Silver Age (2000), they should all be there.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I loving hate grading comics.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Yes, One Million is a bonkery good time. It does help if you know a lot of DC lore as there's tons of references to DC's rich history.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Senior Woodchuck posted:

Edit: Never mind, I don't understand jokes.

You're in the correct sub forum.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Guy Goodbody posted:

I haven't been paying attention, is Captain America still a nazi?

Well you see good sir, they revealed that Cap has ALWAYS been a Nazi so....

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Guy Goodbody posted:

yeah but wasn't that because Red Skull rewrote reality? So he wasn't a nazi but then a thing happened so then he was always had been a nazi. It's dumb but if it's just for a couple issues or like that dumb Age of X event, fine. It feels like I heard about Captain America being a nazi months ago, he's gotta be back to normal by now, right?

This is pretty much how I feel when I try to sort out the clusterfuck that is Secret Empire

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I reached out to Mark Evanier on Facebook and asked him what he, the most qualified expert on all things Jack Kirby, thinks Jack himself would have had to say about this.

"Nothing nice."

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Gavok posted:

Hey, remember how I said that my brother wrote and directed a movie called Patti Cake$ and it was going to come out in theaters?

Patti Cake$ is out in theaters now.

Go see Patti Cake$.

I'm gonna make a point to go see it when I can.

And then tell everyone I know the director's brother.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Mr Hootington posted:

I like comics better when comic book villains aren't murder machines.

I like comic books better when the heroes don't die for no reason.

But on that note, the return of a dead hero can make for some amazing comics. See: Kone-El Superboy in Legion of Three Worlds.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
It really was. Also, Blackest Night was lame overall but man if I didn't get the misty eyes when Hawkgirl took off her mask and it was Shayera.

YES I'M THE ONLY HAWK-PERSONS FAN IN BSS

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Sinteres posted:

For me the deaths and subsequent mourning used to pack some punch, but when you sometimes have characters immediately speculating about how long it'll be until they come back now, I think it's safe to say they ran that poo poo into the ground. I do hope we get some good comics out of Wolverine coming back whenever that happens though, because he's been off the board (even if he was replaced with a displaced version of himself) for longer than expected at this point. I guess "oh here's another you/you just missed another you" will probably take away from it a fair amount though.

Yeah, it used to be good story telling. Now we're all like Siryn and assume they will be back in a few months.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I bet you can put together a complete run for less than the cost of the Omni's.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Vol.3 was under printed for some reason and the softcover has been canceled three times due to insufficient preorders.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

A Strange Aeon posted:

Lame.

I see a set of 10 trades for 80 bucks on eBay--but those leave out a bunch of stuff from the sounds of it, right? Though tracking the 3rd Omnibus down for a reasonable price seems like it's going to suck.

Buy 1, 2, 4, 5 & 6 and the singles that would be in vol.3?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Madkal posted:

My favourite thing about the Starman trades was the lack of numbers on the spine so I never got them in any kind of order when I bought them

Didn't they start putting numbers on them with the 5th volume or something?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Yeah, when asked about it both DC and Marvel have told retailers that sales on black & white reprints were poo poo. That's what killed both lines.

• Locked thread