Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Congrats to Madkal and condolences to Rhyno's fiance.

And looking way forward to Mr Miracle

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

X-O posted:

I've not read a single issue of Gwenpool so I have no opinion!

Same boss (other than the Howard the Duck backups that didn't really interest me). Art looks nice based in the panels I've seen at least.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

A Strange Aeon posted:

X-Statix and X-Force by the same guy are generally considered solid reads, right?
No, because this is a fantastic run of comics exceeding "solid".

Be sure to snag the Wolverine & Doop miniseries, too.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I'm gonna go out on a limb and say Harry Potter comics would sell well, but not *as* well as you might expect. The people who would buy HP comics are probably going to "non-traditional (i.e. not white male)" buyers, so it will do well in trade and digital, maybe not gangbusters in the direct market.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Rhyno posted:

I disagree. The Dark Tower comics did bonkers numbers when they were new. A JK written HP mini series would be a massive hit.

Not really? Looking at Comichron for random issues, they tended to end up selling in the 40-50k range after a 100k+ first issue. Quite good, to be sure, but Star Wars is currently in the 70k range in its 32nd issue.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Skwirl posted:

You're saying Harry Potter isn't that popular among white males? The story of the white kid who was constantly bullied the first ten years of his life only to discover he's the chosen one to save everyone isn't gonna be popular among stereotypical nerds?
I will grant that I am just a slight bit too old to have been in peak Harry Potter market having been 16 when the first book came out, but the majority of people I know who are hardcore Harry Potter fans are women. This is purely anecdotal, but the males in my age group were more into Tolkein for their fantasy stuff.

But, again, I'm not saying it wouldn't sell well. I'm saying it wouldn't necessarily sell insanely well in the direct market. I think it would do very well in digital and collected form.

Rhyno posted:

I'm just one dude in a small shop but we get asked if there are HP comics constantly. It's been discussed at retailer summits every time I have attended. DC knows it would be the best selling book ever. It's the white whale.

The first issue was the most heavily hyped and advertised Marvel comics we'd ever seen to that point. External news sites that didn't care about comics were reporting about it. We had a midnight release on the first issue with 100+ people showing up to buy it. If people care that much about DT 7 years ago I guarantee the HP fanbase would show up in shops to get the comics.
And, again, the sales don't really bear this out.
3. DARK TOWER: THE GUNSLINGER BORN
02/07 Gunslinger Born #1 of 7 - 216,844
03/07 Gunslinger Born #2 of 7 - 168,258 (-22.4%)
04/07 Gunslinger Born #3 of 7 - 149,168 (-11.3%)
05/07 Gunslinger Born #4 of 7 - 139,545 ( -6.5%)
06/07 Gunslinger Born #5 of 7 - 132,090 ( -5.3%)
07/07 Gunslinger Born #6 of 7 - 128,336 ( -2.8%)
08/07 Gunslinger Born #7 of 7 - 124,609 ( -2.9%)
6 mnth (-42.5%)

Excellent sales, no doubt, but #1 was only the 5th best selling comic for the year (and #2 the month it came out after Civil War #7), and #7 came in at 43. Later series just drop from there (the first issue of the following mini sold fewer than #7 of the first). Again, none of this is anything bad, but either your memory is off or it didn't sell anywhere near what Marvel was hoping.

EDIT: Didn't see the new page. E&C makes good points too, as usual!

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Rhyno posted:

There's a lot of lonely motherfuckers out there who validate themselves by their massive list of "friends" on facebook and instagram.

My ex did the opposite of this. She had a massive number of FB friends and would scroll through and get upset that she wasn't a trust fund kid who could spend all her time doing drugs and going to bad concerts

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Edge & Christian posted:

If you look at that writer's history, this sort of in-depth industry analysis is new ground for him. Previous posts include:

Classic “Doctor Who” Eventually Hits Streaming
8 Famous Actresses Re-Imagined As “Seven Of Nine” From Star Trek Is All Kinds Of Awesome!
Top 10 Incredibly Attractive Power Rangers Of All Time.
9 Darth Vader Vs Xenomorphs Fan-Arts Will Tantalise Your Geeky Senses!
Top 10 Rare Facts About “The Avengers” – Movie Which That Superhero “Genre Mainstream!
10 Angelic Pictures And Interesting Fun Info On Patrick J. Adams and Pretty Little Liar’s “Troian Bellisario” Wedding.
10 Sensuous Ladies Of Japanese Anime.

Maybe he's trying to create a portfolio for the real CBR to hire him.

Though he might have to make it "10 Sensuous Ladies of Japanese Anime to gently caress"

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Gavok posted:

Hey, remember how I said that my brother wrote and directed a movie called Patti Cake$ and it was going to come out in theaters?

Patti Cake$ is out in theaters now.

Go see Patti Cake$.

Cool, it's playing here. I'll probably catch it Sunday.

(I saw a trailer for it before The Big Sick and it looked good, so I wanted to see it regardless of your brother.)

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Is Kirby work worth tracking down he asks

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Vincent posted:

Why isn't this chat thread named after August General in Iron?

Because Madkal is (was?) getting married this month and wanted to make is special for himself.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

What if the new ruler of the underground sends a tentacle monster to kidnap you?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

It *should* be recommended, but given how difficult it is to get ahold of without buying the individual issues digitally (assuming the whole series is even available digitally), it's difficult to really do so. The other series you mentioned are shorter and/or more readily available.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Madkal posted:

Tomorrow is the day and I am decked out with batman underwear, batman cufflinks, and a batman flask. I just wish I had a positive batman marriage story to focus on now.
And if you had waited one more day you could have been married on Jack Kirby's 100th birthday!

PS: Today is Jack Kirby's 100th birthday, so let's post cool Jack Kirby stuff.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

It looks like you can get the paperbacks of vol. 1 and 2 for $15 and $20 on ebay. Vols. 4-6 look to be between $40 and 60 for hardcovers, and there's no listings at all for vol. 3.

Complete sets of floppies look to be around $150, with or without the Shade minis.

Comixology has the entire series fro $2/issue, and there's DC sales a couple times a year for buy one get one, or 50% off or whatever.

EDIT: The binding should be fine. They're under 500 pages, which isn't at all unheard of for TPBs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

A Strange Aeon posted:

So confused. There's a Starman Omnibus 3 available on DC's site for $30 with this description:

"In this third STARMAN volume collecting STARMAN #30-38, STARMAN ANNUAL #2 and STARMAN SECRET FILES #1, Opal City is terrorized by Dr. Pip, an eccentric bomber. Plus, Starman teams up with Batman to save the life of Solomon Grundy."

That doesn't seem like it would be 400+ pages, but it seems longer than a regular trade. Is that the one that other people have for hundreds of dollars? Or is DC's main site not accurate as to availability?

E. I'm dumb, if you click buy it, it just gives links to Amazon and Barnes and Noble, so even if it was what I wanted, it's most assuredly not available for 30 bucks.

To put it in perspective, I drove about 100 miles round trip to get my copy of volume 3 since I saw it at a comic store while I was meeting up with a friend from out of town and didn't think too hard about it until I got home to find it was selling on Amazon for about twice its cover price, then drove back the following day to get it. This was a few years ago after it was already out of print.

• Locked thread