Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

The event ends later this month. It seems like Marvel was obviously doing an art imitates life thing, but didn't realize exactly how close it would hit to home since they didn't know who'd win the election when they were planning it, and certainly didn't know Charlottesville would happen. In retrospect it was probably a bad idea, but I don't blame them for not playing things safe. I do wonder if the event's going to do lasting harm to that character though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

X-O posted:

Actually it’s realizing he’s kind of lame. At least that’s how it worked for me.

I think the number of different interpretations creators have had of him over the years have added a lot of complexity to the character, but they pretty much reached the limit on sadism a while ago, and ultimately the inability to do a redemptive story arc with him is a pretty big limitation. I think antihero Lex is probably the most interesting version of Lex, and the way Doom seamlessly transitions between villain and antihero has a lot to do with what makes him such a great character too. A heroic Joker would be beyond weird though, and would require something to fundamentally change about him, to the point where he wouldn't really be the Joker anymore. Actually my favorite Joker in recent continuity was probably when he and Batman both had amnesia, but that's specifically because he wasn't himself at that point.

That said, I also like the new Harley and Batman comic so far because it presents a Joker with unclear motivations so far, and in a lighter context than we've generally seen him in recent years.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Mr Hootington posted:

I like comics better when comic book villains aren't murder machines.

It kind of feels like a trap writers fell into. Like at first it was novel and shocking, which was interesting, and then I think other writers felt like they had to keep up or up the ante so it would feel like the stakes were even higher next time. It seems like both companies have promised a lighter tone multiple times now (particularly after major downer crossovers, like we're getting now with Secret Empire), but grimdark still has a way of creeping back in.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Rhyno posted:

I like comic books better when the heroes don't die for no reason.

But on that note, the return of a dead hero can make for some amazing comics. See: Kone-El Superboy in Legion of Three Worlds.

For me the deaths and subsequent mourning used to pack some punch, but when you sometimes have characters immediately speculating about how long it'll be until they come back now, I think it's safe to say they ran that poo poo into the ground. I do hope we get some good comics out of Wolverine coming back whenever that happens though, because he's been off the board (even if he was replaced with a displaced version of himself) for longer than expected at this point. I guess "oh here's another you/you just missed another you" will probably take away from it a fair amount though.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Dan Didio posted:

Neo-Nazis are showing up to rallies, including the one that killed Heather Heyer, wearing Captain America and Hydra gear so I would loving hope so.

gently caress Nick Spencer and Marvel's editorial team.

I think they probably made a bad call on this story too, but they didn't know how bad things would be in real life when they started this event. Showing a corrupted embodiment of American ideals is a concept with artistic merit, and the timeliness of it only adds to that, even if a mainstream superhero comic arguably wasn't the place for it. I think the biggest mistake they made was assuming all the caveats that make it so Steve Rogers isn't actually a Nazi would translate to the far greater number of people who aren't reading the event and especially the more detailed explanations in the comics that led up to it. They got too cute with it, but Hydra are still pretty clearly presented as villains and not aspirational figures.

Dr Kool-AIDS fucked around with this message at 05:35 on Aug 19, 2017

• Locked thread