Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

A Strange Aeon posted:

Is Paper Girls good? I like BKV usually, but was somewhat disappointed by the last thing I read, The Private Eye.

The Goonies is an apt comparison. Stranger Things too, except it's more sci-fi and less horror. I've read the first two TPBs and liked them a lot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
That's why my favorite villains are the working stiffs who treat it like a job, or ones with codes of honor or sympathetic motives: Flash's Rogues (especially Captain Cold), the Suicide Squad, Secret Six, Superior Foes of Spider-Man, etc. And my favorite MCU villains have been Zemo and Vulture, for that reason. The ones who don't want to take over the world or murder everyone in it.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

A Strange Aeon posted:

I'm reading DC 1,000,000 and there's a Starman issue that reminded me of the Starman series from the 90s. My library had most of the trades and I remember thinking it was pretty cool in high school--would it hold up today? If I remember correctly, it was sort of an early take on superheros and nostalgia and other themes that became more prevalent in the industry later on. But I don't remember too much about it plot wise or anything.

It's the best. Starman is definitely my favorite series of all time, and despite some of Jack Knight's cooler-than-thou '90s hipster references early on, I think it has aged extremely well. The Starman #1,000,000 issue is an important part of the Starman series, and it would be included in the TPBs. Unfortunately, the earlier print run of TPBs from the '90s left out several stand-alone issues for no good reason, but the six Starman Omnibus editions are complete with all crossovers, tie-in issues, and anything else Starman-related.

It should be one of those series like Sandman, Watchmen, Y The Last Man, Planetary, Preacher, etc. that get recommended to every comics fan, whether they're a new or experienced reader. And it's the perfect superhero book for people who hate (or think they hate) superhero books, too.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
The Starman Omnibus editions were much thinner than most modern DC and Marvel Omnibuses, and not oversized like the Marvel ones. They were really nice.

Despite being a superfan, I don't own them, since I collected the series from the beginning and bought every related issue along the way. Years ago, I sent mine off to a bindery and had them bound into four beautiful custom hardcovers, with custom tables of contents. Sadly, that was before Starman #81 (a Blackest Night tie-in) and the Shade 12-issue miniseries came along so many years after the fact, but I think Omnibus Vol. 6 even includes Starman #81.

A Strange Aeon posted:

Of the other ones you mentioned, I've read them all except Planetary--I haven't heard it in the same conversations as the others, I'm assuming I should read it as well?
Oh my goodness, yes. And it has been reprinted in several formats, including a very affordable Omnibus.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

A Strange Aeon posted:

Lame.

I see a set of 10 trades for 80 bucks on eBay--but those leave out a bunch of stuff from the sounds of it, right? Though tracking the 3rd Omnibus down for a reasonable price seems like it's going to suck.

They poo poo the bed on those trades, leaving out a lot of stand-alone (but still necessary and GOOD) issues, plus all the crossovers into other titles. You may consider buying them and filling in the gaps with single issues, but it pisses me off just thinking about the lousy job DC did with those, and then with keeping the Omnibuses available.

• Locked thread