Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Congrats on the marriage, hope you have a great reception and a great matrimony. And if your 160 year old aunt gets shot by a sniper, just let her go.

Madkal posted:

I was going more with the writers of Spiderman than fans opinion on this one. I was reading somewhere how a few writers weren't down with the whole marriage thing.

People were trying to undo the marriage since at least 1990. Joe Q's just the only one who decided fan outrage was worth facing over it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

If you feel up to reading an enormous amount of text about the Clone Saga, there's information about how various writers felt about the marriage during the 90s in The Life of Reilly. They tried extremely hard to undo the marriage in the Clone Saga, and a big part of trying to make Ben Reilly the "real" Peter Parker was that a lot of people in editorial and the writer's room wanted a swingin' single Spider-man again. And when they were gearing up to bring Peter back as the one true Spider-man and trying to get rid of their kid, they wanted to break the marriage up along with it, and the only reason they backed off of it was that it felt like heaping too much poo poo onto Peter to kill off Ben, kidnap his child AND destroy his marriage. Hell, they even had MJ be "dead" for a while in the late 90s, but readers reacted really negatively to the idea of Peter even considering relationships with other women after his wife had possibly exploded in a plane.

A lot of people saw the marriage as an ill-advised publicity stunt instead of the natural conclusion of hundreds of comics that had built up MJ and Peter's relationship to the point that they either had to get married or awkwardly broken off with a plot device (amnesia, death, something even more contrived).

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

The worst thing about that is it reminds me Dwayne McDuffie died.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Rhyno posted:

Still on the outs with no rumor sources but a friend of mine claims that DC has opened negotiations with Marc Silvestri to purchase his Top Cow imprint and all it's characters.

This is just like EA/Activision buying beloved game franchises and then never making a new one.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Aphrodite posted:

I don't think Ditko would be willing to sell.

Ditko isn't an MRA. He's an objectivist.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Aphrodite posted:

It was a Mr. A joke.

Oh drat, that's p. good.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

joehonkie posted:

I always love that he so die-hard about his philosophy that he won't actually give away his political manifesto work for free. "You're interested in my political views? I'd be happy to share them with you for $5" just doesn't seem like the best way to get the word out.

A man is entitled to the sweat of his brow.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Roth posted:

I'm not sure where to go exactly to talk about it, but the new Turok comic is starting off pretty promising.

Don't we have a Valiant thread?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Skwirl posted:

You're saying Harry Potter isn't that popular among white males? The story of the white kid who was constantly bullied the first ten years of his life only to discover he's the chosen one to save everyone isn't gonna be popular among stereotypical nerds?

When I first read Harry Potter as a teen I was annoyed because I felt Harry was way too blatantly Peter Parker.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

What kind of loser pays to see photos of scantily dressed women.

Anyway, I have to go to my second job to pay for my 1200 dollar monthly Patreon subscription to every artist that draws Overwatch nudes.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

There's loud-rear end crickets outside and it's making me really self-conscious about my jokes.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

The Ultimate universe blew up, basically. It's a bit more complicated than that, but basically they ended the line and the universe.

The general consensus is that Ultimate Spider-man is mostly quite good and worth a read, just about up to when Peter Parker inexplicably comes back from the dead. Ultimates volumes 1 and 2 are very edgy since it's Millar, and their real-world references and political allegories are pretty dated by now, but they're still fairly solid books and interesting alternate takes on the characters, even though everyone's kind of a huge rear end in a top hat because Millar. Then the books fall off a cliff with Ultimates 3/Ultimatum/Ultimates vs Squadron Supreme and never recover.

I didn't really read much of the rest. UFF and UXM are pretty rocky books overall. There's a few mini-series here and there that are worth it, some that really aren't. It depends what you're into.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Hey guys, I just want you to know, if you die in the upcoming civil war, I really think the US comic industry has done more good than bad and I enjoyed discussing all forms of funnybooks with you all.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Ghostlight posted:

Actually he's Hydra, which despite its ties and shared ideals to Nazism is not the same as being a Nazi, see he actually hates working with Nazis but is doing it for the common good and furthermore
:goonsay:

There are fine people in Hydra, and there's violence on many sides.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

One of my never-gonna-happen ideas for a Batman run would involve Joker deciding to not kill or maim anyone for an entire year because he feels his act is getting stale. So he'd spend his time committing more lighthearted crimes, and being somehow even more of a nuisance to Batman because of it.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Hey man, I love Hawk....eye.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

:discourse:

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

The Zombie MAX comics aren't gonna blow anyone's mind but they're pretty decent zombie outbreak comics with appropriately gross art. Starring Simon Garth!

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Edge & Christian posted:

I liked Deadpool MAX too but I think that I was literally alone on here in thinking that.

No, I liked it too. I was put off by the first issue but by issue 2 I got what the book was going for and I genuinely loved it.

How can you not love a book that features poo poo like this:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

• Locked thread