Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

Latest Video

Setting

It is the far future and humanity has become a spacefaring civilization. Huge space ships ferry both colonists and resources between the colony worlds and Earth utilizing faster than light travel. The relationship is sort of one way, though: Earth gets supplies and the colonists get to...live on other planets I guess? Not everybody is happy with this arrangement, believe it or not. Over the last few years colonists have begun organizing and fighting against the Earth authorities, claiming entire planets and cutting Earth off from vital resources. Earth has the advantage in technology research and development as well as a more formal command structure while the colonists have the numbers advantage and the benefit of fighting for their home territory. This means that the outcome of each battle depends heavily on the tactics of the commanders and a healthy amount of luck.

Earth has developed a new weapon, one that could change the course of the war. You are a pilot for the good guys and because of a disastrous opening battle you find yourself promoted to a position you may not be ready for. Outfitted with equipment that gives you mobility beyond what a normal human could achieve (wall running, power sliding, etc.) you wage a guerrilla war on the enemy in an effort to buy time for your side. Do you have what it takes to finish the fight?

The Games

All joking aside, the release of Titanfall 2 and Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare just a few weeks apart is sort of amazing for all sorts of reasons. There will be a post in the thread that covers all this, but for the uninformed: there is a bit of history between the two franchises.

Titanfall 2 came out just two weeks after Battlefield 1 and two weeks before Infinite Warfare. This decision on the part of the game's publisher, EA, was widely criticized as it meant that EA would be releasing two multiplayer focused FPS games in one month and TF2 would more or less be releasing against a very similar game in a much longer running and more popular series. Predictably, TF2 didn't sell as well as expected despite a number of really nice improvements over the first game. For one, there is an actual single player game mode in TF2 and it is really really good, you guys. If you weren't aware, TF1 featured a hybrid multiplayer-single player mode that more or less put some scenes at the start and end of matches and gave you some bonus dialog. For some reason it was locked behind its own matchmaking mode which meant that once most players had completed the mode there was no population and so lots of people who owned the game never got to see the story. TF2 picks some time after TF1 and makes plenty of references to the first game, but you can follow along without any trouble if you never played it. TF2's gimmick to help sell copies was that all DLC for the game was free.

Infinite Warfare came out in November of 2016 and got lots of hate after the terrible reveal trailer the game's publisher, Activision, unleashed upon the world. If you every wanted to hear a weird, crappy nu-metalish cover of Space Oddity...that was the defining feature of the trailer. Infinite Warfare takes the CoD franchise, which has been releasing earth based science fiction/cyberpunk games in the last couple years out into space for the first (second?) and possibly last time. For the record, this is the 3rd new CoD franchise started in the last five years: Ghosts failed, Advanced Warfare didn't capture an audience and this game missed sales numbers. Black Ops III was the lone bright spot for the franchise in the last few years. The next title is going to be a return to the WWII setting that started the franchise. We'll see how that goes. Infinite Warfare is chock full of stuff, so while the main campaign isn't that long in and of itself there are plenty of side missions and character bios and audio recordings to look at/listen to that I will have to do some special videos for that stuff. Infinite Warfare's gimmick to sell more copies was to pack in a remaster of Modern Warfare with some editions of the game.

The LP

I've never done two games at once before, and because IW has a bunch of stuff distracting from the short main story and TF2 is also pretty short and has no side missions I'm looking at three videos per week, probably two of IW and one TF2. The real fun is going to be comparing the games, I think. From the very similar story elements to the similar gameplay mechanics and the history behind both titles (more on that in a separate post) there is a lot to cover. Most of that is going to be focused on this thread and maybe a couple special videos, I'm trying to keep the videos of each game from leaking into each other so anyone not interested in one of the games can watch and not feel like they also have to watch the other videos to keep track of what I'm talking about.

Multiplayer

Let's face it, the real reason most people are buying CoD games or Titanfall games is because they want to play some high speed deathmatch. I'll be posting occasional Multiplayer videos of both games, but they will be infrequent and there probably won't be more than three or four of each game. I'm utterly terrible at TF2 and only competent in IW because I usually play with more skilled players on my team.

Titanfall 2 Videos

Infinite Warfare Videos

Lazyfire fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Sep 27, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

Claiming this post for the eventual history writeup and other things.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

Titanfall 2 starts you off as if there weren't really a first game, which as I will constantly mention is probably a good idea because most people probably didn't get to play the first one in "single player" mode. Respawn decided that they wanted a multiplayer focused game back then and so incorporated a story mode into multiplayer matches. Sadly, this was handled poorly and so there wasn't a great incentive for players who had completed the single player to go back and do it again as it was just multiplayer with different opening and closing cutscenes and a bit of a story thrown in there.

At the same time, TF2 doesn't spend a lot of time explaining the situation of the universe besides Frontier Militia=Good, IMC=Bad. I guess there isn't much else to explain, actually. The Frontier Militia is a ragtag band of colonists (who happen to be able to make giant spaceships for some reason) who want to get out from under the boot of the Interstellar Manufacturing Corporation, a megacorp that is the defacto power on most of Earth's offworld colonies.

One non-story thing I want to say about TF2 before we get too far into the game is that it is super pretty. I hope it comes across in the YouTube videos, but Respawn was able to pump some great looking visuals from the Source engine and I love that it is as colorful as it is.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

Ok, so TF2 doesn't spend a lot of time explaining the situation in the universe. IW spends about no time at all explaining the six million acronyms they throw at you. I've played through this game and I have no idea what SATO is, how it is different from the UNSA, what SCARs are, or any of that stuff. I don't even know if there are tie in comics or books or anything like that that covers it. I think it's supposed to reflect real life multinational operations where you have things like US forces working as part of NATO under joint task forces and stuff like that, but yeah, not a lot to go on.

You don't need to know much to understand the basics of the plot. UNSA/Earth=Good, SDF=Bad. The great irony of IW and TF2 being so similar is that while the core of the conflict is the same the roles are reversed. It's funny to me, anyway.

If you aren't familiar with CoD games as of the last few years: they've gone full sci-fi and have not been selling at the historic highs from the Modern Warfare days, prompting some to wonder if the series is on the way out. Yes, IW was the best selling game of 2016, but it did lower numbers than Black Ops 3 from a year earlier despite having a near identical feature set and the addition of space combat. Activision publicly chalked that up to Black Ops III being part of an established franchise and IW being a new IP within CoD. It should be mentioned that the lower sales were despite Modern Warfare Remastered coming with some editions of the game, a remake that the CoD community has been clamoring for since the new generation of consoles came around.

In my opinion the game is too dark and the enemies can be difficult to discern from the background. Cladding all the enemies in plain steel armor while you fight on a bunch of grey and black surfaces is not the way to make it easy to distinguish target from background. Thankfully, you have attachments to help with that.

radintorov
Feb 18, 2011
This is going to be interesting.
Titanfall 2 is a fantastic title that deserved a larger audience and improved on most aspects from 1.
Infinite Warfare I have no idea because I never played but I admit being curious about since I like sci-fi settings, even if the limited amount of jumpjetting so far looks extremely stiff and pretty limited.

Edit: I'll have words about TF1 "campaign" later when I have the time since I did play it a fair bit despite its issues and I liked the references to it that the devs added in the sequel.

radintorov fucked around with this message at 03:17 on Aug 1, 2017

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
I liked Infinte Warfare well enough, and yeah the forced jumpjetting is dumb, but also stops relatively quickly.

But dear lord the ending is one hell of a thing.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

I sort of liked Infinite Warfare too, but the ending was quite something. And I had a really bad impression of the opening hour of the game but it got better once the main gimmick of the game came into play but by the time that happened, the game ceased to even feel like a Call of Duty game. Black Ops 3 kind of ran into the same problem too but on a smaller scale, so I'm not terribly surprised that going back to World War II was the next move.

Titanfall 2 however was fantastic beginning to end. When my main complaint about Titanfall 2's campaign is that I wish there was more of it, that's pretty high praise. It's just a shame that it doesn't seem likely that Titanfall 3 will ever be a thing.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
More like Infinite Borefare dohohohohoho

but yeah Titanfall was an absolute gem and I played far, far too much of it. Titanfall 2's release timing was awful for me and I'm not happy I missed out.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
Infinite Warfare remains on my to-buy list if it ever comes down to like $20 or $30 purely because of the sci-fi element and because I'm a Kit Harington fan. I wanna blow the poo poo out of Space Jon Snow.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

I bought IW for the singleplayer campaign and it was simultaneously too long and not long enough.

I do like it's zappy futureguns though, only wish that the game gave you ammo for the heavy weapons you deployed with, or that they didn't take up one of your two weapon slots. Cause they're fun but taking them with you in your default loadout is rarely not a mistake.

e: Also I adore IW's conceit for how you unlock new weapons.

Gymer
May 30, 2012
One of the problems I can't get over with IW's plot is having every single ship in port for Fleet Week.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️
I have a soft spot for IW at least it tried a radically new setting for the series and IMO Ghosts and BO3 had even worse SP campaigns.

OutofSight
May 4, 2017
Wohoo.

I quite liked what "MrDumbRodent" streamed from the game.

GoneRampant
Aug 19, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
I heard some good things about IW's campaign and its characters last year, but I wound up skipping both of these games due to other purchases (Namely Watch Dogs, Dishonored and Hitman). I really want to buy Titanfall, though, since that looks insanely fun.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

Psion posted:

More like Infinite Borefare dohohohohoho

but yeah Titanfall was an absolute gem and I played far, far too much of it. Titanfall 2's release timing was awful for me and I'm not happy I missed out.

I missed TF2 at launch as well, picked it up a few months ago and loved every minute (which is part of why this LP is a thing). Respawn has done a fantastic job with post launch support as well.

Too bad the PC population is fairly small, you either get stomped by more experienced players or end up trashing people who just got the game. Adding it to the EA Access program could help, though.

MShadowy
Sep 30, 2013

dammit eyes don't work that way!

Fun Shoe
Titanfall 2 looks pretty good; pity it kinda fell apart due to it's release date. And while I get that it's a convention of the Military Shooter genre, I have to admit the degree to which IW is in your face with it's ridiculous militarism is almost alarming. I guess the Martian colonists just have to be kinda bad because uh... :shrug:

Also the "the politicians are tying our hands" message is pretty bad too, thinking on it.

MShadowy fucked around with this message at 16:02 on Aug 1, 2017

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

MShadowy posted:

Titanfall 2 looks pretty good; pity it kinda fell apart due to it's release date. And while I get that it's a convention of the Military Shooter genre, I have to admit the degree to which IW is in your face with it's ridiculous militarism is almost alarming. I guess the Martian colonists just have to be kinda bad because uh... :shrug:

Also the "the politicians are tying our hands" message is pretty bad too, thinking on it.

I like to think the stories of the two games are based on how the franchises came to be. The Militia in TF2 wants to break from the evil corporation to do their own thing just like Respawn did. In infinite Warfare the Earth forces are the good guys who just want the colonists to provide them with resources and supplies while the bad guys broke away from the coalition, which is, again, how respawn formed.

OutofSight
May 4, 2017

Lazyfire posted:

I like to think the stories of the two games are based on how the franchises came to be. The Militia in TF2 wants to break from the evil corporation to do their own thing just like Respawn did. In infinite Warfare the Earth forces are the good guys who just want the colonists to provide them with resources and supplies while the bad guys broke away from the coalition, which is, again, how respawn formed.

This is quite an interesting view to see this.
I for myself keep wondering (especially after seeing the flags of the UNSA headquarters) when the SDF in CoD: IF start to talk in akward german and russian accents. "Militaristic fascists from a red planet". Oh Call of Duty...

That being said, i am curious how you compare the actual gameplay of the two.

OutofSight fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Aug 1, 2017

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

OutofSight posted:

"Militarisitc fascists from a red planet"

I don't think they're supposed to be Facists as much as Collectivists, due to the way the Martian colony is set up. Everyone works together towards a common goal and everyone benefits, then a Militarist got put in charge. Now there is no part of Mars that isn't a part of their war effort, so there is no martian that is a civilian.

So everyone on Earth, man woman and child, is an enemy combatant.

vdate
Oct 25, 2010
I was very pleasantly surprised to see this - I've been interested in IW ever since I saw the E3 promo video one year of doing crazy zero-g jump-and-boost stuff (and in one memorable instance remotely attaching a grenade to one's enemy). For whatever reason, that last bit stuck with me, since I thought it (and all the other boost-and such zero-g or low-g crap) would make for a cool and memorable FPS game about being an rear end in a top hat to your enemies in new and creative ways, in space. (If I am mistaken and thinking of an entirely different game, Call of Duty or otherwise, please let me know.) Then I forgot about it because a) I wasn't planning on owning the console it's on and b) I am staggeringly, breathtakingly awful at FPS games. Titanfall 2 I got interested in after release, when the reviews basically all went "The story mode is actually...good?" and the trailers made it seem like a buddy cop soldier story about a man and his giant bro-bot. But, again, I forgot about it because I had zero chance of playing it. So thank you for demo-ing them for us!

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

OutofSight posted:

That being said, i am curious how you compare the actual gameplay of the two.

At some point in the near future I plan on putting together a video detailing the differences and similarities. The trouble may be finding time to edit things together.

racerabbit
Sep 8, 2011

"HI, I WANT TO HUG PINS NUTS."
:frolf:

Gymer posted:

One of the problems I can't get over with IW's plot is having every single ship in port for Fleet Week.

Or the mighty anti-ship M1911's being controlled by a single tower. That is easily infiltrated, and has no cut-outs, failsafes, or secondary control structures.

But it's a CoD game, and we don't play them for their believability.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

I made a big old writeup about the history between Titanfall and Call of Duty and it's really too long to make someone sit through in one go, so I'm just going to break it into a couple posts over the rest of the week:

Part 1: The Split

I've mentioned, and will keep mentioning that IW and TF2 overlap heavily on a number of fronts. It is, after all, one of the core reasons why this is a dual LP. Outside of the gameplay mechanics; release date and setting; Infinite Warfare and Titanfall 2 share a large amount of history and are the direct products of a series of events almost no one could have predicted.

Let's start in November of 2009 and the release of Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2. It's easy to forget just how excited people were for this game back then. Activision, the publisher of all things Call of Duty, was expecting a major blockbuster. This was, after all, the direct sequel to the game that took Call of Duty from a high selling critical darling to a megafranchise. Fans were excited to see the story from the first game continue and to see the changes to the multiplayer in action (if they didn't get into the beta that summer). In the end everybody won. Activision sold more copies than expected and Modern Warfare 2's multiplayer mode is considered one of the best the franchise has put out and to this day CoD developers use a number of the design and balance ideas introduced in that edition as the base for the new titles.

There was one at least partial loser in all this: Infinity Ward. IW had started the CoD franchise back in 2003 and had developed the breakthrough MW and MW2; the latter's unbelievable success (MW2 was the highest earning entertainment debut in the world on release week, it's sold over 25 million copies today) should have triggered a significant number of bonuses for IW's staff, but even half a year later employees had not seen the promised money. By March of 2010 something broke between Activision and the management of Infinity Ward. Jason West and Vince Zampella, the heads of IW and the founders of the studio were called to a meeting at Activision's main campus and were fired. No warning, no notice, just gone. Within a few months fully half of the people working for Infinity Ward would follow them out the door. At the time IW was working on both DLC for MW2 and had started development on MW3. Obviously, this was bad for Activision and the future of Call of Duty. It really appeared as if they had attempted to swat a fly with a sledgehammer and done far more damage to the CoD brand than intended by axing the main forces behind CoD and then watching most of the top staffers at IW walk out the door over unpaid bonuses while they were making money hand over fist. I have to assume that Activision knew what was going to happen next and didn't care because they just made something close to a billion dollars off MW2: lawsuits and lots of 'em.

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

People like to tout EA as the evil empire of videogames but they've cleaned up their image a lot in recent years. They're still evil though, just less blatant about it.

Activision makes no such attempts at saving face.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

Bloody Pom posted:

People like to tout EA as the evil empire of videogames but they've cleaned up their image a lot in recent years. They're still evil though, just less blatant about it.

Activision makes no such attempts at saving face.

I've never understood why people spend so much energy hating on EA and Ubisoft but often give Activision a free pass. Activision usually makes Call of Duty, a licensed game, Skylanders and maybe a Tony Hawk title...every single year. There's almost never any interesting new features or titles or even innovative thought in the new editions of the games and their business model is to more or less run franchises as hard as they can for as long as they can and then luck into new ones as they sunset the dying ones. The sad thing is that they've published some legit good titles over the years, the problem is usually that if they are hits they become iterative franchise games and if they don't sell millions and millions of copies they make like the USSR and disappear the franchise from media and deny that it ever existed.

Oh, and this doesn't even touch on the microtransactions. Holy poo poo, you guys. Black Ops III was rank with them. IW is just as bad. You earn keys in your multiplayer matches in order to open crates, it takes like an hour of matches to earn the 30 keys it takes to open up the better crate or you can give them money for CoD points and use those to open the crates. What's in the crates? cosmetics, gun variants, different weapons, that sort of thing. Nothing super special, but if you want to cash in on a deal, like multiple legendary crates for 275 keys you need to either play a lot or spend money, and all you may get are UAV skins. Yeah, they've changed it so you can buy skins that associate different stats to your killstreaks. It's one of those things where you can play the game without spending more than you already paid for it (possibly plus DLC or Season Pass) and not feel left behind, but you know they are making millions off people with no patience or too much money.

Titanfall 2, in all honesty, also includes crates and microtransactions. I am just not entirely sure how everything works because I've never felt compelled to buy skins or weapon slots or anything like that in the game whereas IW sort of puts it in your face CONSTANTLY.

Edit: I just checked to make sure I wasn't wrong in my claims about Activision's publishing history. In 2016 they had exactly two games: Infinite Warfare and Skylanders: Supercharged. I don't think you can count Blizzard games as Activision games, but if you could I think that would make their total three because of Overwatch.

Lazyfire fucked around with this message at 01:44 on Aug 2, 2017

radintorov
Feb 18, 2011

Lazyfire posted:

Titanfall 2, in all honesty, also includes crates and microtransactions. I am just not entirely sure how everything works because I've never felt compelled to buy skins or weapon slots or anything like that in the game whereas IW sort of puts it in your face CONSTANTLY.
The way Titanfall 2 does microtransactions is simple: you can buy some camouflage patterns for your pilots, weapons and titans, nose art for the titans, banners and icons.
Titan skins include the Prime variants which are just alterations to how the model look and allow the use of a different titan execution (which can be used even if you don't equip the Prime skin).
That's it: new game modes are free, new equipment (namely the new titan Monarch) is free and new maps are free. Skins and similar provide no in-game advantage whatsoever.

The only thing that has changed slightly is that with the new Frontier Shield update they added a series of limited-time offer titan skins that provide 1 extra Aegis point (the new horde defense mode progression) and limited-time offer gun skins that have a chance of providing 1 extra merit at the end of a round when equipped. Given that on a good run a player is likely to get a decent number of Aegis and normal merits both, that bonus is basically something thrown in as an extra and that I only mention to be thorough.

Edit: I forgot to mention that the selection of stuff that you can buy with real cash is pretty limited and fixed. The majority of the unlockables have to be obtained as random "Advocate Gifts", by spending merits or by completing gameplay challenges. Since none of these can be purchased with real world cash, Titanfall 2 does not have "loot crates" like titles such as Overwatch or Infinite Warfare.

radintorov fucked around with this message at 02:01 on Aug 2, 2017

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Well, Activision is the publisher for Destiny, and sort of for Blizzard's entire library.

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

There's no way that the lootbox gacha in Overwatch and HotS, and the nigh pay-to-win system of Hearthstone card packs weren't all Activision's idea.

koolkevz666
Aug 22, 2015
I really liked the general story behind IW, I grew bored of the WW2 setting. They made a few changes here and there, added some memorable characters but in the end it was mostly the same setting again and again. I am probably one of those few people who bought and played the Call of Duty games to see the story and only played the multiplayer rarely. The setting for IW was new and to me was an exciting change and though I admit the ending was well what it was I think it did well to tell a story and also be something new. Unfortunately for what you could call "hardcore" CoD fans it wasn't the simple run and gun game they knew and it didn't do so well.

As for the new CoD game coming out, i'm not that excited and I only hope they can do something that will be different and exciting with it.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

Lazyfire posted:

I've never understood why people spend so much energy hating on EA and Ubisoft but often give Activision a free pass.

I hate EA more then Activision because while EA can clean up their image they can't erase the past and I remember the miracle of Ultima 7: Serpent Isle and the corpses of games they left in their wake :colbert:
Also by being big and successful means that other business would want to emulate their business model and Activision's recent activity with buying up game devs and strong-arm producing for them (to Activision's benefit and the dev's expense) is something of an uncanny coincidence mirroring EA's post-publisher rise.

Ubisoft at least has different problems that stem from their own management idiocy rather than malicious profiteering :v:

EponymousMrYar fucked around with this message at 04:27 on Aug 2, 2017

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

Speaking of erasing the past, I couldn't really get into Black Ops 3's campaign. First few missions (read: train go boom) felt like they were hamfisting that idea in. On top of that, you have the endings poo poo where it's like Taylor ain't dead possibly you could be Taylor this whole time and you were pretty much redoing what he did down to a T.

I considered trying out both games' campaigns but with a lack of akimbo loving miniguns I dunno if I'd have fun.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
Even from the first video it's so obvious Infinite Warfare is just COD In Space with a gloss of sci-fi on top of your totally not a 21st century gun with a bunch of rails on it. I mean you have an M16 charging handle and forward assist on whatever that default gun is and the other one is Literally A P90 with a different optic, and there appears to be a Literally A Vector with two magazines?

I don't really agree so far with your opinion that IW is more 'hard sci fi' than Titanfall; I think it wants to pretend it is but it really feels superficial. The weapons, the gameplay so far, the dialogue, the complete lack of any subtlety whatsoever, it's just Modern-er Warfare. Maybe future videos will change my mind on that but I'm seeing nothing in this first that isn't COD of old with shinier textures. Neither one of them is hard sci-fi, Titanfall is just more honest about it? :shrug:

pretty badass skybox for Geneva, though

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Psion posted:

Even from the first video it's so obvious Infinite Warfare is just COD In Space with a gloss of sci-fi on top of your totally not a 21st century gun with a bunch of rails on it. I mean you have an M16 charging handle and forward assist on whatever that default gun is and the other one is Literally A P90 with a different optic, and there appears to be a Literally A Vector with two magazines?

I don't really agree so far with your opinion that IW is more 'hard sci fi' than Titanfall; I think it wants to pretend it is but it really feels superficial. The weapons, the gameplay so far, the dialogue, the complete lack of any subtlety whatsoever, it's just Modern-er Warfare. Maybe future videos will change my mind on that but I'm seeing nothing in this first that isn't COD of old with shinier textures. Neither one of them is hard sci-fi, Titanfall is just more honest about it? :shrug:

pretty badass skybox for Geneva, though

IW gives a really bad first impression I think. When I first played it, the first hour made me think it was going to be another derivative CoD Ghosts style disaster. But it kind of grew on me and once the main gimmick of the game is shown, it's actually pretty fun. While the game is still fairly linear, you do have a little bit of freedom elsewhere which Lazyfire will show off in due time.

Titanfall 2 is still the better game though. One of the more fun FPS campaigns I've played in a long time, just wish it was about 2 hours longer.

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.
I'm glad you've gotten to Infinity War; I jumped off the COD wagon about the time Infinity Ward went through all that drama and the series was turned in a yearly retread but for some reason something about this game makes it look appealing... but it's still $80 (CAD) and only ever goes on sale for 50% off. As some one with series misgiving about the series and zero interest in multiplayer (especially with the aforementioned pay-to-win mechanics that have spread through the industry) I still feel as though $40 is too much to pay; the game either needs to have a decent story or an interesting environment to roam around in. Or both, preferably. Maybe if it ever gets in the realm of $20 I'll bite.

XavierGenisi
Nov 7, 2009

:dukedog:

I'm certainly interested to see where both of these games go. I remember seeing both of these games' single player being shown off at E3 2016, and thinking that both of them looked actually good! With Infinite Warfare, the idea of flying around in space at parts and the rather primitive sci-fi feel appealed to me. And Titanfall 2 looked like it was going to be a crazy buddy adventure with you and your mech suit fighting across a planet.

I skipped both in the end, though. IW, because I just didn't care for CoD or it's yearly releases, even if IW seemed interesting in one presentation. Titanfall 2, despite a lot of buzz from friends that played it, I ended up skipping it for other games and kinda regret it.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

The Real Titanfall Starts Here. I love that the game sort of teased using the Titan in the VR introduction section only to drop you into a fight against not just the easily killable infantry enemies, but other mechs after a thankfully brief introduction to the capabilities of the Titan. Overall, TF2 does a really good job of introducing you to the control conventions of both the Pilot and Titan aspects of the game where I feel IW doesn't do a great job for either the infantry or space combat. We'll see more of what I mean by that soon, but it's really weird to me that the intro to the game gives you these abilities like wall running and boost jumping and then the game takes them away for traditional infantry fighting for a full level (about an hour of playtime) and introduces space combat before they actually explain anything about the jumpkit/boost rig in the game. Compare that to TF2 that starts you off in much the same manner, but it has a drastically smaller gap between introducing you to the abilities you spend most of the game with and giving them to you on a permanent basis. Even then, it reintroduces you to them step by step and gives you a pretty easy curve to re-learning them. If you know what you are doing it isn't that noticeable, but if you had issues in the training segment it is a chance to figure things out before the game starts expecting you to have the skills to do everything without help.

At the same time, the base CoD controls are the exact same they've been using for a decade and outside of a couple "do like I do" segments in the game you never actually need to use the enhanced mobility. The space combat, though, is so poorly explained that it's almost criminal.

radintorov
Feb 18, 2011
With Lazyfire's permission, I made a couple of videos as addendums to this episode.

First off, it's possible to save both friendly titans at the start of the level, which is also an achievement:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ncv5JMZSyMI
as seen in the above video al long as the player is very aggressive it's not too hard to pull off, though aside from the achievement there is no reward from doing it.
Also showcased is the ultimate ability for the Expedition loadout: the Burst Core is a singleplayer only ultimate that triggers a quick reload of the chaingun which then proceeds to spew an inordinate amount of lead, causing insane damage to any enemy unlucky enough to be under the crosshairs.

The second addendum is that there is a safe area (which I also missed when I first played this) under the pipes where the helmet is located after the section with the Stalkers that can be used when attempting to get it:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PtgAfWjMrAw

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Psion posted:

I don't really agree so far with your opinion that IW is more 'hard sci fi' than Titanfall; I think it wants to pretend it is but it really feels superficial. The weapons, the gameplay so far, the dialogue, the complete lack of any subtlety whatsoever, it's just Modern-er Warfare. Maybe future videos will change my mind on that but I'm seeing nothing in this first that isn't COD of old with shinier textures. Neither one of them is hard sci-fi, Titanfall is just more honest about it?

We're only in the first level, the space guns with crazy alt fires will come.

Gargamel Gibson
Apr 24, 2014
Heh, of course the bad guys in Titanfall 2 are South African. As an evil accent it's second only to Boston.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Calax
Oct 5, 2011

Gargamel Gibson posted:

Heh, of course the bad guys in Titanfall 2 are South African. As an evil accent it's second only to Boston.

He was in TF1

Had a fun little bit about "You change your allegiance like you change your Socks" at the end for a character who doesn't comeback.

• Locked thread