Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What the hell happens next?
This poll is closed.
They literally set fire to the ring by accident 2 2.22%
They literally set fire to the ring on purpose 6 6.67%
Film 6 months of content accidentally using WWE prop belts 6 6.67%
Rehire Jeff Jarrett 23 25.56%
Start splicing in archival footage of AJ Styles and pretending it's current 23 25.56%
Accidentally switch the live Pop TV feed to the WWE Network 6 6.67%
Lose the keys to the production truck, film 6 months of content in the parking lot with a Samsung 7 7.78%
Sue a fan who flips the bird on air, lose all company rights to said fan 13 14.44%
Somehow everything gets good and they start making money (Comedy Option) 4 4.44%
Total: 90 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
AND GALLOWS MISSES THE DRINK CATCH

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.
At least there were some good matches

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
AND NOW ITS KURGAN

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Ok, double debuts to end the show is VERY TNA.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,

STAC Goat posted:

triple

Eric Young

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

How many roids has EC3 been on?

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Lid posted:

triple

Eric Young

Good point.

Plus a Swann return.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

STAC Goat posted:

Three if you include Eric Young!

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Codependent Poster posted:

How many roids has EC3 been on?
he never stopped

I need someone to gif the slip

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

That really just feels like a silly place to debut Gallows and Anderson. They could have shown up after one of the tag matches and staked a place. They could have aligned with Eddie before the match or on Impact. They really didn't accomplish anything and the Swann return, EY return, new champ, Good Brothers debut/return, EC3 return all just stack on each other and nothing makes a real impression.

That's a VERY TNA problem.

Still, I liked the rest of the card and I'm genuinely interested in the tag and women's title pictures now. And Eddie Edwards isn't a bad champion, I guess.

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 04:07 on Jul 19, 2020

Lead Pipe Cinch
Mar 10, 2003

Heavy Metal Bakesale

Basic Chunnel posted:

he never stopped

I need someone to gif the slip

Impact did it for you:
https://twitter.com/impactwrestling/status/1284683047984603141?s=21

J-Ro
Jul 26, 2005

Child Of The Revolution

I liked the PPV, but that main event could have used the "less is more" approach.

Deonna & Jordynne head to head with the opener for the match of the night.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

EC3's back Tuesday per the video upload title https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NUvHpWqiU-o

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Wale's happy

https://twitter.com/Wale/status/1284687084649766912

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

*Wale voice:* Wale!

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

they deleted it smdh

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
https://mobile.twitter.com/IMPACTWRESTLING/status/1284678218944057351

they know what people want

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

It took a few seconds for the video to load and now I'm disappointed that it wasn't Ken Shamrock doing a sliding canadian destroyer

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

Was Slammiversary worth the money? Sounds like there was some decent stuff on the show mixed with some stuff that could be skipped, but the $40 price tag is a big hurdle.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

Ganso Bomb posted:

Was Slammiversary worth the money? Sounds like there was some decent stuff on the show mixed with some stuff that could be skipped, but the $40 price tag is a big hurdle.

I'm not going to buy it, but I might just break down and watch Impact on Tuesday to see what they're planning from here.

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

Looks like I can VPN in and order it for $20 on Fite... so if it's worth at least that, maybe I'll give it a watch today.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

$20 is about what it's worth imo. $40 was too much.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

I absolutely would have bought it at 20.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

I watched half the show and i think it was worth something but i also think wrestling should not cost $40 no matter what it is anymore. the poor's perspective

Procrastinator
Aug 16, 2009

what?

J-Ro posted:

Deonna & Jordynne head to head with the opener for the match of the night.

I think I liked mack/bey more than either tbh

J-Ro
Jul 26, 2005

Child Of The Revolution

Ganso Bomb posted:

Looks like I can VPN in and order it for $20 on Fite... so if it's worth at least that, maybe I'll give it a watch today.

I did pay the $40 and don't have regrets, but I also agree that's a bit much. Definitely worth the $20.

Procrastinator posted:

I think I liked mack/bey more than either tbh

Oh gently caress me, absolutely that was a banger too.

JUNGLE BOY
Sep 23, 2019

Ganso Bomb posted:

i'm not a tna fan and i 100% regret spending $40 on it. i was not as desperate as i thought i was to watch wrestling.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Ganso Bomb posted:

Wasn't $40 good, felt better than $9.99. $20 seems fine

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

I thought at least they'd put some crew or something in the audience. What they did is undoubtedly safer but crowd noise might have bumped it up to a $40 show. Deonna/Jordynne and Moose/Dreamer would both have benefited greatly from it, plus even a planted pop for those debuts would have made them seem like a bigger deal.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

While its awkward I think its less awkward than this WWE shows were. I'm not entirely sure if that's fair or bias. But I think WWE did more long shots and the wrestlers played to the non existent crowd. Last night it felt a bit more natural.

Then again maybe TNA is used to de-emphasizing the crowd.

The battle royal was weird though. Having 10 people in the ring and being able to hear all of them was an experience.

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

Decided to give the show a shot since I realized I could VPN for half the price and thought I'd leave some thoughts.

- The open challenge tag was really fun. MCMG have always been a favorite of mine so it was great to see them back again. Sabin looks significantly more trim than I remember him. Does he still actively wrestle or was this a sort of comeback for him, too? Mostly this just made me want MCMG in AEW because I don't see myself keeping up with Impact much. The Rascalz have always been fun whenever I've seen them at shows.

- I skipped Moose/Dreamer because gently caress Moose, and I don't need to see Dreamer wrestle in 2020.

- The Gauntlet was pretty bad, but those types of matches usually always are wherever they happen. This was probably hurt a lot by not having a crowd. Katie Forbes and Alisha Edwards looked really bad. I have no idea who Johnny Bravo is or what the story is with him, but his whole shtick was the cringe poo poo of wrestling that I hate. Was really bummed that the match afterward didn't last longer than like 45 seconds.

- Mack/Bey was good but not great IMO. It felt like it was a lot of moves for the sake of moves at times and I didn't get hooked into any flow or story. This is my first time seeing Bey but I've always loved Mack, so I was hoping for a lot more.

- The tag title match was fine but I don't need to see Sami or Shamrock, for very different reasons. Shamrock is ripped but still looks like an old man which just makes things a bit uncomfortable, and he looked visibly lost a few times in there just kind of standing around trying to figure out what to do.

- The Knockouts Title was my favorite match of the night. Was surprised to see Deonna get the win, but I'm also wondering if this leads to Grace slowly transitioning to the world title at some point? Really, really enjoyed this one.

- The main event was pretty good for the most part but fell apart here and there. Eric Young gives me Kurt Angle vibes now and is somehow the only person on the planet who looks older without a beard? Was bummed to see Trey get eliminated so early and while I've been lukewarm on Ace whenever I've seen him, I found myself pulling for him at the end just because it'd be something different.

Some general notes:

- They STILL have the problem of not letting any moment sink in before cutting to something else. Every post-match celebration (unless it led to an angle in the ring) was cut short by going to an interview or video package or something and it was so frustrating. Deonna and Bey got like 12 seconds a piece to celebrate what should have been huge moments for them. Why can't they let this stuff breathe?!

- The Heath debut felt pretty lame, especially with the terrible mic quality. I think it would have been better to just have him debut backstage with that Rhino bit, because that was at least endearing.

- The commentary wasn't as bad as I was expecting. Callis wore very thin for me with New Japan and Matthews has almost never been good, but they were mostly fine if not forgettable for most of the night. It did bum me out that Josh mentioned having technical difficulties with Callis' headset at the start only for Callis to start talking about 10 seconds later. If he had never said anything, nobody would have known there was a problem!

- Does Impact have the most diverse active roster of all of the major North American companies? All but 2 matches had at least 1 person of color involved, and their women's roster is vibrant with different personalities, looks, and gimmicks. Kind of feels like their roster represents the diversity AEW talked about when they first launched.

- Overall, I don't know if it's going to get me to watch Impact on TV. On one hand, it was better than I expected because I've just come to expect trainwrecks and bullshit from the company for so long. But, it also wasn't so mind-blowingly good that I find myself absolutely NEEDING to watch the show.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Ganso Bomb posted:

I have no idea who Johnny Bravo is or what the story is with him, but his whole shtick was the cringe poo poo of wrestling that I hate.
He was a referee and when Johnny Mundo/Morrison was champ he was buying him off to rig matches for him. Then he was exposed so he became Mundo and Taya Valkyrie's (Mundo's wife) valet and sycophant. Then Mundo signed with WWE and he stuck around with Taya being her bullied assistant. Recently Rosemary's been trying to seduce him or something. I think just to gently caress with Taya and take away her guy? I'm not sure why. I haven't been paying attention. But the Knockout division seems to be separating into teams and Taya and Rosemary are a mismatched pairing who don't like each other through Bravo for some reason.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

MCMG were also one of my favs in the company so I'm really glad they got to make this happen, even if it isn't a long-term thing

This was Sabin's first match since he tore his ACL in ROH a year and a half ago. He came back to the company as of last year as a producer in the meantime; I wasn't sure if he'd ever even come back in-ring, coming back to a business that's shredded both your knees by the age of 38 ain't easy, but he looked very good

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Jesus, I have no idea how Sabin can move. I feel like he's had like 4 knee surgeries.

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

Thanks for the details!

I'm glad Sabin at least got a run as the heavyweight champ way back when, I just wish he had looked stronger in winning it.

I think what I'll take away most from this is that I'll be more open to popping into an Impact show every now and then going forward. It's a bummer to see them still struggling with some of the same production issues that have always plagued them, but they do have a pretty insane roster.

Germansimp
May 28, 2013

STAC Goat posted:

Jesus, I have no idea how Sabin can move. I feel like he's had like 4 knee surgeries.

Probably a combo of good surgeons and insane desire to never give up. I don't remember what caused him to have his first surgery in summer 2011, but I definitely do remember the second one because he'd returned to TNA for only 3 months or so before he tore the ACL in his OTHER knee, and that was the first time people had doubts whether he could (or should) return. He did return, and then of course early last year he tore an ACL again.

So while people are glad to see MCMG again, I hope for Sabin's knee's sake this was only a one-off match and he won't risk a fourth ACL tear.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Broadly speaking their women's roster is what every company's women's division should look like. Diverse in ethnicity, appearance, and less positively, skill level. There are individual things I don't love, like Alisha and Forbes, but on the whole it's a good division and something they should be focusing on. Last night instead of that terrible gauntlet they should've done something to set up a women's tag division as they have a few preset units right now.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

It seems like they've been inching that way pairing everyone off and last night they brought them up and its not the first time I've heard it. I get the sense that they're easing towards bringing those belts back but they're actually correctly building the division up first so the belts come as a response instead of teams forming because of the belts.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

STAC Goat posted:

It seems like they've been inching that way pairing everyone off and last night they brought them up and its not the first time I've heard it. I get the sense that they're easing towards bringing those belts back but they're actually correctly building the division up first so the belts come as a response instead of teams forming because of the belts.

That's true, they did plant seeds in that match but I can't imagine most people saw that gauntlet and wanted more out of that division. It was a pretty bad showcase for them to be in what was the worst match of the night by a fairly wide margin.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Ganso Bomb posted:

- They STILL have the problem of not letting any moment sink in before cutting to something else. Every post-match celebration (unless it led to an angle in the ring) was cut short by going to an interview or video package or something and it was so frustrating. Deonna and Bey got like 12 seconds a piece to celebrate what should have been huge moments for them. Why can't they let this stuff breathe?!

It's legitimately amazing. They have been through so many different owners, directors, writers, writers they actually admit work there, agents, etc. and despite it all, the quick smash cut TOTHEBACK after a match ends has remained.