Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Poppyseed Poundcake posted:

If it's a fork don't people that have bitcoin now have both, one on each fork? They are 2 independent things that aren't transferable.

Twice as much money!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

shyduck posted:

I wanna know more about the guy who decided to escape that was in on a disorderly conduct charge

Like that can't be that long of a sentence dude, now you're in actual trouble

I'm guessing it was a case of being black in Alabama, which carries a life sentence for most charges.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

I give it another two months before civil war breaks out.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

So why did he sign it, then.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

And also their neighbor they're at war with has nuclear weapons and a weak government.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

God, reading that was so awkward.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

facialimpediment posted:

Probably about the Cost Savings Reduction payments related to Obamacare. If he kills the CSRs, watch Republicans come to Obamacare's rescue. I'm not even joking!

Announcing the killing of CSR payments at a West Virginia rally would be magical.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

He should've left on Monday like everyone else.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

LingcodKilla posted:

Well that will encourage people to do the right thing.

He was arrested for something unrelated to blackholing Wannacry.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

LingcodKilla posted:

Yes. It's a balancing act. If they guy is so good that he single handily shutdown wanna cry perhaps you should hire him and hold the charges over him.

He found the domain hard coded in the malware and then registered it to see what would happen. That's not the kind of hacker wizardry that eclipses the creation, distribution, and use of a banking trojan to steal normal people's bank information.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

I like how everyone's complaining about the probe expanding beyond collusion to financial crimes.

Hey, how did we find out about Benjamin Ghazi Males and Monica Lewinsky?

psydude fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Aug 3, 2017

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

joat mon posted:

This one will be made up of DC residents. Here's a primer.

A city where Trump got 4% of the vote. I love it.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

He was the mayor of White Sulfur Springs, where the Greenbrier is.

For those of you who haven't been to the Greenbrier before, the people who live there have about as much in common with the majority of the rest of West Virginia as Hillary Clinton does.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

BigDave posted:

Didn't they turn the Greenbrier into the doomsday bunker for Congress back in the 50s?

Yeah, you can still go tour it. It's pretty cool.

BTW, congress is moving to limit Trump's power to fire Mueller without cause:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/powe...omepage%2Fstory

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Lmao all of you thinking your benefits are fine because they're including in the budget. The debt ceiling will reach a hard limit about two weeks after Congress is back in session, and if they fail to raise it, the government won't have enough money to pay, even if it's budgeted for.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

A lot of veterans with pressure-wave-induced scarring of their brains are white and unemployed or underemployed. It makes perfect sense that they're huge fans of Trump.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

I got cross-leveled to an Army Reserve unit from WV to deploy to Afghanistan. I had a whole year to get acquainted with the social maladies of West Virginians.

My girlfriend's parents live there now, but they're transplants from Virginia who moved there for the affordable mansions and conservative politics. Her dad is building a factory there, but is having a hard time finding people who can pass a drug test.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

JUICE.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Gobbeldygook posted:

I'm impressed they got a conviction when no one he defrauded actually lost money.

Yes, but the world lost the Wu Tang album.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Despite it being Fox News, this is actually a fairly objective and honest assessment of the situation:

quote:

That number matches up almost perfectly to the percentage of Republicans who believe Trump is not interfering. Heck, 30 percent of Republicans said they didn’t even think Russia interfered in the first place; and 70 percent of GOP respondents said they didn’t think Trump had done anything wrong at all.

That’s a pretty massive disconnect. Independent voters overwhelmingly agree Trump Russia interfered and Trump did wrong. While they are divided on the question of whether it constituted a criminal action or simply an unethical one, about 60 percent of unaffiliated voters say Trump did a bad thing vis-à-vis Russia.

You can attribute this disconnect to blind followership, “alternate facts,” or mind-boggling double talk from the administration. But there may be something else at work here: Many of Trump’s supporters wouldn’t care, even if they knew it was true.

One of the reasons the president has fallen back into the habit of demanding criminal prosecution of his vanquished 2016 foe is to force his supporters to climb back down the decision tree and ask themselves again whether they would rather have Hillary Clinton as president.

. . .

The approach is less effective now, of course, because we know that Hillary Clinton won’t become president, no matter what. There will be no do-over on the election, and she couldn’t even win her own party’s nomination if she ran again (again!) in three years. If Trump stops being president, it will be the gentleman from Indiana who succeeds him, not the lady from New York.

. . .

As we hear Trump devotees wail that colluding with a hostile foreign power isn’t a crime or cavil that Mueller & Co. might find other crimes unrelated to Russian disruption, what we are really hearing is their acceptance of wrongdoing. This is the big: “So what?”

The underlying argument is that she probably did something even worse, so if he lied, cheated and maybe even stole the election. For after all, he would have been only beating Democrats at their own game.

Even though this view represents a minority of a minority, it is still pretty strong evidence of an unwell national civic culture. It is also like money in the bank for Trump.

psydude fucked around with this message at 01:40 on Aug 5, 2017

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

You can see 'em in Glow, anyway.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Boobs or not, GLOW was a hilarious show.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

milk milk lemonade posted:

Tech isn't diverse because guys like things and women like people, duh. Didn't you read the manifesto.

I've been doing IT for a couple decades now in various capacities. I've never seen women in leadership or hands-on roles (outside of extremely basic help desk stuff). I do hiring now and I never get a single female applicant for any infrastructure roles. I know my company employs a number of female developers though. And lots of female PMs, which is very common. IT is dorky as poo poo and full of sexism for sure, but it's a bunch of nerds being sexist. They don't really control anything. If there were suitable female candidates I'd hire them for sure.

And it's not like you need a STEM degree or anything. No one gives a poo poo about your education. If you can configure a router or harden a server, great you're hired. You know how to code? $$$$$. There isn't some big barrier to entry.

Most of the misogynistic people I've met in enterprise IT are usually in it for the money and aren't your standard nerds who love computers. Of course, most of my customers are government so I end up dealing with a lot of ex-military MAGA warriors.

I've definitely tried to hire more women, but they constitute such a small part of the IT and InfoSec workforce that it's difficult. I have noticed that women are much better represented in the software engineering and development field.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

bengy81 posted:

Valentine NE is directly south of one of the poorest (Rosebud) Indian reservations in the country. Might be the poorest??? But I'm not sure. Anyhow, it's hard to be too down on yourself when all you have to do is drive North of town to find third world levels of poverty and realize that at least you aren't dealing with that directly.

It's not too bad of a place to be though. Kind of a nice little town, and there is a decent bar that isn't overrun with drunk Indians.

Fake Edit: I've had a lot of extended family end up dead and/or in jail thanks to the meth epidemic in poo poo hole Nebraska towns like North Platte and Scottsbluff, so I think it's kind of amusing that somebody would move out there to get away from it.

We've worked some projects at Rosebud. The guys we sent out there had to drive two hours one way to get on site because there were no hotels, aside from a handful that were obviously just used for prostitution or drug dens.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

I have definitely noticed a willingness among our generation to just give up on poo poo, especially college. In your last semester and all you have to do is your capstone to graduate? Nah, it's just too much. Better drop out and wait tables. Finished with your dissertation and just need to defend it? Time to exercise some personal compassion and take a permanent hiatus.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

facialimpediment posted:

There's a problem with the Army's new pistol.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ch7si_VQsGA

Whoops.

Would still use over the lovely 92FS I was issued.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

A $15 minimum wage in the US probably won't increase prices, but it will definitely speed up adoption of automation of low-paying nonskilled labor.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Proud Christian Mom posted:

that poo poo is already done. high paying, non-skilled labor is next on the chopping block. im looking at you, oilfield workers

I'm talking poo poo like fast food and shelf stocking. But yeah, mining has already been automated. I'm sure logging and oil will be next.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Kim, et al. have no real incentive to launch a first strike, since it would immediately lead to their entire country being flattened. Their nukes are really more of a dead man switch.

Now, I could totally see them selling nuclear materials and designs to the Iranians.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

E^: They have the ability now. US intelligence has concluded they've successfully miniaturized a nuclear warhead to fit on top of their ICBM.

I'm not saying ignore them. I'm just saying don't go purchasing that fallout shelter just yet.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

He was already being investigated by Ukraine and the FBI for his work laundering money for Yanky and company, so it's unsurprising.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Accretionist posted:

Probably why they're short on detail. Here's the PDF of what they're aiming for

Brackets:

Cutoffs:
:iiam:

I like how this does nothing to really help the middle class or upper middle class, but makes sure to give rich people a massive tax break (assuming the current tax brackets and cutoffs map to the new ones, per that chart), while throwing a bone to the lowest tax bracket to make them think about switching teams.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Casimir Radon posted:

You could look like the elaphant man and still be glad you're not Miller. Being a College Republican is bad enough without veering off into outright neo-Nazi.

Miller reminds me more of Charles Limbergh than a neo-Nazi. Very similar, but he's careful to couch all of his awful beliefs in warped logic.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

The hilarious thing is that all of that is irrelevant. He's been such an idiot about it all that he's now being investigated for obstruction of justice and money laundering unrelated to the election itself.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

BigDave posted:

https://twitter.com/kylegriffin1/status/895667763460530177

Say they nail Manafort on money laundering or something, how does that get us closer to Trump? Manafort isn't working for Trump anymore.

Yes. It will give them leverage against Manafort to get him to testify against everyone else.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

https://www.washingtonpost.com/worl...omepage%2Fstory

Donnie's trying to start a war again.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

TBeats posted:

so how hosed is everyone in SK if pyongyang catches a nuke?

because it would be kind of weird to watch chest thumping, military boner republicans and republican supporters kill a bunch of american troops and be okay with it.

When have they not been okay with it in the past?

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

tastefully arranged labia posted:

Two people on the NSC have to agree, I think.

Bannon and Kushner. Boom.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

M_Gargantua posted:

legally and funtionally its 100% the presidents call. People in the room have to not allow him to physically give the order for that to change. The people in the CoC could theoretically ignore the order but they drill such that they shouldn't ever really know the difference between a training order and a real order for that exact purpose.

Are nuke officers sequestered from the rest of the world while they're on duty so they never know if they're doing the real thing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

I love how it's easier to understand his motives through the lens of North Korea.

• Locked thread