Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

Internet Wizard posted:

Yeah before Cyrano instituted the NO POLITICS rule PCOS Bill and his dickriders were basically making it 100% alt-right all the time so this is an improvement.

I got directed to TFR once to see "just how liberal gun forums can be" and I don't think I got the message they were intending.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

The bulk of the military are people who are on their first term enlisted. This group is a pretty even cross section of America, ethnically, politically, and ideologically.

Unfortunately that group is the least powerful in the organization. The more an enlisted person re-enlists, the more that person drifts conservative in my experience. So senior enlisted look more conservative than America. Senior enlisted also think they are the military, and do a lot to define the work culture, so they're mostly the reason if there's a TV on, it's probably playing Fox News.

The real problem is the officer class, which looks much less like America. Polls I've seen suggest about 75% of officers are republicans, and my anecdotal experience bears this out. The average officer is drawn from the khaki wearing college history club set, usually from a second tier or lower school because they weigh GPA much higher than program difficulty in selection. So, they're starting off with a nerdier, whiter, richer, more religious demographic than the average American before they even start getting acculturated into the military.

The officers are the ones who make the decisions. They're overwhelmingly conservative compared to most of America, and their key enlisted advisors are also much more conservative than most of America. The republican party is continually radicalizing, and as of recently, becoming more openly tolerant of white supremacists. So to your original point: I don't think the military is currently a hub of white supremacists. Trends for where things will be in 10 years though are a little worrying.

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

If anyone wants to step into the nightmare realm of trump's twitter perceptions:

https://twitter.com/pbump/status/898224258366619648

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

KildarX posted:

Peoples minds are so broke brained you're gonna have this in three years I guarantee it

:smug: Man it sure is good we got a shot at putting Mike Pence in office. That LIEBERAL Trump is gonna get told off finally. I wonder why the Democrats put him in office.

Most of the anti-Trump republicans I know believed this from day one. He's really a democrat, democrats showed up to the primary to nominate him, etc.

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

NUKES CURE NORKS posted:

A bunch of conservatives are out protesting the Lenin statue in Seattle. ANd by a bunch I mean like... 7 people. It's blatantly a jab at the people who are asking for confederate monuments to be taken down.

My question is has anyone on the left said the Lenin statue shouldn't be taken down?

I don't know about the left, but the conservative argument for not taking it down is that it's privately owned, on private property.

It looks like a park but it's really like a patio for a mini mall type thing.

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

M_Gargantua posted:

CSPAM confined that it's still planned to happen

So im probably going to spend all morning driving up there to join the celebration protest since the alt-right will likely bitch out at the last minute.

Thank u for ur service

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

The whole right wing takeover of Spartan worship must be really hard on the eccentric British professors and roided up gay bros who were all about that stuff before it was cool.

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

CommieGIR posted:

In FCC News: Verizon just announced that they are going to throttle every video connection to 720p Maximum on any one of their unlimited connections, showing once again that they lied about the capabilities of their network and that we need Net Neutrality.

The answer is not regulation, but more competition

*Passes laws giving massive advantages to existing monopolistic players and takes their campaign contributions in return*

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

"Antifa are the REAL nazis and also the nazi-nazis with the swastikas and sieg heils have some very reasonable opinions"

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

Now that trump has learned he can pardon people, it's off to the races. RIP Russia investigation.

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

The New York Times opinion page is becoming the WSJ opinion page, and the WSJ opinion page is becoming Breitbart.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

Gorka has committed the greatest crime: grand theft valor

https://twitter.com/bfriedmandc/status/903438725442670592

https://twitter.com/splalwani/status/903414446948798468

• Locked thread